Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 20:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore - Chennai Road Trip

BHPians,

Bumping up an old thread

Just wanted to know if anyone of your travelled recently to Chennai.

I was told that there are significant delay (close to 3 hrs) caused by checking vehicles citing Elections.

Can someone confirm if this is indeed true?

Cheers
Old 24th March 2011, 21:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
BHPians,

Bumping up an old thread

I was told that there are significant delay (close to 3 hrs) caused by checking vehicles citing Elections.

Cheers

Aah I travelled last on Feb 21st and there was no such scene. Anyways travelling at a weird time will avoid traffic. If there is't much traffic checking wont take much time. But it will be best if avoided till April 13 if there is nothing urgent. Other than checking, I dont think its safe during election time. You dont know what kind of people are on the road. Expect all kinds of nuisance and notoriuous people during election times. You know our leaders are not role models. So I would advise you to avoid driving in Tamilnadu until elections. Its a friendly advise just to be safe then worry.
Old 24th March 2011, 22:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
BHPians,

Bumping up an old thread

Cheers

I traveled to Chennai on March 1st week from Hosur, there was nothing of that sort. Are you referring to the Karnataka-Tamilnadu border check-post?
Old 25th March 2011, 10:14   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
Anyways travelling at a weird time will avoid traffic. If there is't much traffic checking wont take much time. But it will be best if avoided till April 13 if there is nothing urgent.
Its a friendly advise just to be safe then worry.
@Funda - I completely agree with you on the suggestions. Just wanted to plan a visit to Chennai for the long weekend. I had someone visiting Chennai as recent as 15th and 16th of Mar. No one had such checks.

Will ping a couple of cabbies I know to solicit their inputs on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
I traveled to Chennai on March 1st week from Hosur, there was nothing of that sort. Are you referring to the Karnataka-Tamilnadu border check-post?
@mail4loys - Checks interestingly aren't happening at the state border but at Sriperambadur

Will keep updating this thread as and when I get to hear more updates.
Old 25th March 2011, 14:38   #20
BHPian

^^Yes, checks are happening at many roads in TN.
It's a big nuisance as any vehicle irrespective of whether it belongs to a politician or businessman or common man is apprehended if carrying cash in abundance or material things like sarees, etc which could be used as 'bribe for votes'
The Election commision has gone a bit overboard this time.

Last edited by Daewood : 25th March 2011 at 14:40.
Old 25th March 2011, 21:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:

@mail4loys - Checks interestingly aren't happening at the state border but at Sriperambadur

Will keep updating this thread as and when I get to hear more updates.

I did the stretch Chennai->Hosur->Chennai today. As said all vehicles were stopped near the kamaraj memorial pillar Kanchipuram NH-4. Also, innumerable barricades from Sriperambathur till poondamalli.
Old 5th June 2013, 04:38   #22
BHPian

Any updates on driving from Bangalore to Chennai? Am planning a trip on the 12th June. Would routing via Kolar be better in terms of time, road conditions and traffic? My first time on this leg, suggestions most welcome. Thanks.
Old 5th June 2013, 08:02   #23
BHPian

Route via Kolar is shorter but 4-lane road ends at Mulbagal after which it is the old 2-way highway. I used to frequent that route in the old days but not anymore. I find the route via Krishnagiri much easier in terms of traffic, speed, comfort etc. in spite of 6-laning work in progress after Krishnagiri. There are deviations which get painful only if you get stuck behind a slow trailer truck. Traffic will pick up as you approach Sriperumbudur and will increase as you approach Chennai (common to both routes). I've not figured out alternatives to this stretch.

I prefer starting early (4, 4:30 AM-ish) though it is not a factor for most of the route via Krishnagiri except for the Bangalore - Hosur and Sriperumbudur - Chennai stretches. Start time would be more of a factor on the Kolar route. If you want to try both options, you could go via Kolar route starting early from Bangalore and return via Krishnagiri (start time not that much of an issue). Eating and restroom options would be better on the Krishnagiri route though I've not looked out specifically being a creature of habit with routine stops. You'll shell out more money for toll on the Krishnagiri route.
Old 5th June 2013, 08:22   #24
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
Would routing via Kolar be better
Please visit this thread for the latest information on Chittoor route.
  (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2013, 11:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramases6 View Post
Any updates on driving from Bangalore to Chennai? Am planning a trip on the 12th June.
For updates on Bangalore- Chennai road conditions you can check these two threads : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ittoor-12.html

and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...galore-78.html
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2013, 00:50   #26
BHPian

Hey All,

Wow! I am seeing some serious racing on the Chennai to Bangalore road, doing the distance from Ponamalle High to EC in under 4 hours seems like you doing air time more than ground time. An average of 80+ kmph is stunning. My hats of to you road Gods, Drive safe though.

Well I am a more conservative driver (family man, still building highway experience) I usually average 45 - 50 kmph on the entire journey with some sections where I am comfortable I reach 100+. I recently did the Bangalore to Vellore run....here is a summary of my motor-statastics (this is after more than 3000 km of highway riding/driving experience)

EC to Hosur : Road - bad in patches : 24 km : 40 mins
Hosur to Krishnagiri : Road - great : 52 km : 45 mins
Krishnagiri to Vaniyambadi : Road - great, few diversions : 54 km : 45 mins
Vaniyambadi to Ambur : Road - good, through few towns : 23 km : 20 mins
Ambur to Vellore : Road - great, few diversions : 55 km : 60 mins

Start time / End time - 1:30 pm / 5:30 pm
Breaks - 1 (45 mins)
Total distance - 244 km
Average/ Highest speed - 50 kmph / 119 kmph
Tolls - 40 + 25 + 55 + 70 + 70
Fuel / FE - 25 liters / 17 kmph

Well I would call myself a conservative driver for sure, enjoy the journey more than the thrill of reaching the destination quickly. Hope this is a useful reference to some of the light footed drivers on here.

Cheers!
Amazingandy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks