Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2016, 13:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
@faithless_1984.
Very well written and paced TL.
Im looking forward to make a trip to those nearabouts sometiime soon. Will pick on your ideas when the possibility realizes! Are there any homestay options with a more remote location in the interiors that will require using a 4x4 to reach? Would want to explore that option. Thanks in advance.
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Thanks, homestays are available but a little difficult to find. You will have to ask the locals for such info.
4x4 is not really needed in these locations as most of the places mentioned in the thread are connected by decent roads so if you really want to be adventurous and go to remote places then trekking is the only option. For ex After Munsiyari a more secluded/remote location would be Milam Village which is a very long trek or you can go for a shorter one like Khaliya Top and stay midway in the KMVN guest house.
faithless_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 15:04   #17
BHPian

Thank you for the lovely pictures

I've heard of this place and now am inspired to get there. Cheers & have a brilliant 2017!
VedderTheFixer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 17:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Its clichéd but its true ...`The mountains are calling and i must go`.
HAD to answer the call again so went there last month. It was more of a recce trip as my plan for starting a base there is slowly moving ahead.

Ever since i visited this place i kept talking about it with my family and friends.
My (1st) cousin in particular shares the same connection with the mountains and we both kept discussing ideas about different settlement/business options in Munsiyari.

A vacation home sounds great but its not practical for us. Also we cant shift there permanently (for now) for various reasons. So we are first planning to start a business which will help us in the long run. A sustainable income goes a long way in fulfilling your dreams. Plus you need a way to productively pass time.
We want to build a small eco friendly resort on our land so we went on a small trip to work out some details. Unfortunately there was an ongoing strike in the Tehsil so we couldn't do much work. We met the popular hotel owners/managers and tried to do some research. Business is booming as per the locals ! Now we need to plan everything in detail which will take some time but we are committed to take this forward.

Anyway enough of the boring stuff, here`s a summary of the trip.
I left from delhi and reached Haldwani in the afternoon and stayed there for the night. We left in the morning for Munsiyari and reached there late in the evening.
It was raining when we entered the PWD guest house where we stayed for the entire trip. The guest house is decent and the caretaker Negi Ji is very accommodating but a metal monstrosity has totally killed the view. Anyway it was very cold so we had a nice bonfire+chat and slept early after having dinner from a nearby hotel.
We Went for a sight visit the next day and later for a trek towards thamri kund which turned out to be a disaster coz suddenly it started to rain heavily and we had to come back mid way. Left for Haldwani the next day as some urgent work came up.

Enough blabbering time for some pics now...

A little rough but scenic route.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180316_173248_162.jpg

Butter smooth roads.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180327_142716_787.jpg

Cant ask for a better view after waking up.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180318_071258_872.jpg

The view killer thanks to our laid-back gov.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-20180317_083535.jpg

Late morning view when the clouds start misbehaving.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180317_103812_641.jpg

The trekking route. Total isolation with amazing views.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180408_163732_119.jpg

The lull before the storm.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180408_164005_619.jpg

Parting shot with a heavy heart.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180319_092033_741.jpg

Had evening tea in Nainital at our fav spot the boat house club while coming back.

Surreal Munsiyari : A Photologue-img_20180322_123720_561.jpg

Will keep updating this thread as and when things develop further.

To be continued........

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 8th April 2018 at 17:09.
faithless_1984 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 20:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics! Munsiyari is indeed a beautiful place. But it being a seasonal kind of destination, I always wondered what the hotel owners do during the times when there is no business? Considering they can't just lock up and leave. They must have someone at the property taking care of it. Are most of them locals or did you find any who were from outside? Given the terrain, how much time does the construction take?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 21:10   #20
BHPian

I remember going through your Munsiyari Tlog a couple of years back and then the itch to visit this place grew with time. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit it till date.

Plans are on to finally do it before monsoon starts. Thanks for sharing your second short trip and stirring that idea once again.

PS - All the best for your plans of opening a resort there. Will definitely like to visit once it opens up.
Avalanche2409 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 22:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I always wondered what the hotel owners do during the times when there is no business? Considering they can't just lock up and leave. They must have someone at the property taking care of it. Are most of them locals or did you find any who were from outside? Given the terrain, how much time does the construction take?
Interesting questions
Most hotels are owned by locals but they don`t generally stay in Munsiyari all the time. The properties are mostly managed by people from nearby areas. For example the manager of Milam Inn is from Berinag and has been working there for the past 5 years.
As per my research the hotels are busy for most of the year except for the monsoon season so they have something productive to do for a large part of the year. Other than that you need to have a certain mindset to live in such a place.
Construction time and cost depends on how much land you need to excavate or flatten plus the type of property you want to construct so its not that different from other locations, almost everything is available now for the work to be done quickly. Recently a 4 storey hotel was completed in one & a half years. We are also hoping to be operational in the next 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche2409 View Post

Plans are on to finally do it before monsoon starts. Thanks for sharing your second short trip and stirring that idea once again.
Well april is a great time to visit as the mad tourist rush has not begun and the weather is balanced.

Quote:
PS - All the best for your plans of opening a resort there. Will definitely like to visit once it opens up
Thanks and all bhpians will obviously get special treatment when they visit.
faithless_1984 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2018, 18:04   #22
BHPian

@faithless_1984
I am planning a trip to this beautiful place by end of this month. Can you suggest me any hotel with a decent view? we will be three adults a child of 6 yrs.
Old 15th May 2018, 19:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicLife View Post
@faithless_1984
I am planning a trip to this beautiful place by end of this month. Can you suggest me any hotel with a decent view? we will be three adults a child of 6 yrs.
Well Milam Inn hotel has the best view and location imho. Its a big property and away from the hustle bustle of the town. Do call and ask for availability as this is the busy season. If its not available then the next best option would be hotel Bilju Inn.
Have a great trip, am sure you`ll love the place.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 09:51   #24
BHPian

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Munsiyari with a 5 year old kid. Is it a good idea to visit with a kid? Is the trek to Khaliya top difficult and is it manageable with a kid ?

Regards

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 7th April 2019 at 09:51. Reason: Spell check
Old 17th September 2019, 20:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Well Milam Inn hotel has the best view and location imho. Its a big property and away from the hustle bustle of the town. Do call and ask for availability as this is the busy season. If its not available then the next best option would be hotel Bilju Inn.
Which would you rate as the best overall place to stay from location, comfort (cleanliness+service+food) point of view?

Himalayan Glamping, KMVN , Milan Inn? or any other?
Old 27th August 2020, 16:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Which would you rate as the best overall place to stay from location, comfort (cleanliness+service+food) point of view?

Himalayan Glamping, KMVN , Milan Inn? or any other?
I know i am super duper late and you have already done this trip but still replying in case anybody else reads it.

Avoid Bilju Inn if you like peace and quiet.
Milam Inn is the best option imho, the location is nice and secluded, the views are great and the place looks new.
Himalayan glamping is very expensive.
faithless_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 17:00   #27
BHPian

I stayed in Milan Inn. The panchachulli peaks are visible from the bed. Wonderful experience in early morning, and full moon nights. The place is little before the Munsyari town. They have good gated parking space.
RijuC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:20   #28
BHPian

We stayed in Milam Inn last year. the only "fly" in the ointment was the "fly" actually. The place was streaming with house flies and they were literally everywhere the rooms, the dining area, everywhere.

On enquiring we were told that the flies were because of the weather and season. We were there in April-May.

Otherwise the location is extraordinary, the food is good and the staff is super courteous.
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks