Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2016, 10:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice trip there Arun!

The pictures from those toll booths are sad though. I was in Bangalore over that weekend with my friends and Friday was mad. The ride from airport to city took a long time even though it wasn't office hours. But we had the city to ourselves for the next 3 days. Everyone had gotten out.
Yes, if its going to be a drive during a long weekend, then we will have to plan it accordingly to escape the toll traffic. That day, I didn't have any other option but to join this procession.
Quote:

Coming back to your trip, its really bad that cops don't allow one to take the car to Ram Sethu point. Had plans to do this sometime, but not very sure now.
Looks like this road is not open yet for traffic even though the work is over few months back. Its waiting for the blessings from politicians
Old 5th November 2016, 17:08   #17
BHPian

Re: A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur

Nice travelogue. The train pictures brought a smile on my face.

I was on the same highway doing Madurai-Chennai on 30.10.2016 and now I faintly remember seeing a white colour car with that unusual white colour 'live to drive' sticker pulled over to the sidelines due to some untoward incident (not so serious though)., hope its not your car sorry if Im wrong.
Old 5th November 2016, 22:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Brihadeeshwara Temple looks impressive. Quick wiki search revealed that its an UNESCO world heritage site! Will definitely visit this place some time in the future. If you have any more pics of this Chola temple in your camera, do post.
Old pic from my 2014 visit. For more pics, check this thread. Its beautiful during sunset.

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-bhd1.jpg

I have been planning a trip down south for a long time now, need to find time and hit the road.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 23:03   #19
Team-BHP Support

Chola temples are massive in size (height especially) when compared to Hoysala temples. However, Hoysala temples seem to have more elaborate & detailed carvings.

I have been to TN many times, but only with friends - atleast one of whom speaks Tamil. Can one manage in Tamil Nadu with either English or Hindi?
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2016, 23:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrive View Post
Nice travelogue. The train pictures brought a smile on my face.

I was on the same highway doing Madurai-Chennai on 30.10.2016 and now I faintly remember seeing a white colour car with that unusual white colour 'live to drive' sticker pulled over to the sidelines due to some untoward incident (not so serious though)., hope its not your car sorry if Im wrong.
Thanks Ddrive!

Where exactly did you spot me? I really don't remember stopping on this stretch. Only stop was to refuel, this was after crossing trichy and before perambalur.

If it was after a toll, then it was to clean the windscreen.

Regarding the "live to drive" sticker, I have the replacement sticker ready, just lazy to replace it.

Quote:
I have been to TN many times, but only with friends - atleast one of whom speaks Tamil. Can one manage in Tamil Nadu with either English or Hindi?
At tourist places, you can manage with English or Hindi. Especially at temples, you have guides who can speak English as well as Hindi. Tanjavur gets lot of foreign tourist as well.

Last edited by arun_josie : 5th November 2016 at 23:09.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 09:08   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Brihadeeshwara Temple looks impressive. Quick wiki search revealed that its an UNESCO world heritage site! Will definitely visit this place some time in the future. If you have any more pics of this Chola temple in your camera, do post.
All the pics were taken from mobile and here are few more.

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-1optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-2optimized.jpg

Facts about this temple at it's entrance

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-3optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-4optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-5optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-6optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-7optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-8optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-9optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-10optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-11optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-12optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-13optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-14optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-15optimized.jpg

A quick visit to Pamban Bridge (Rameswaram), Dhanushkodi & Thanjavur-16optimized.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th November 2016, 11:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thanks Ddrive!

Where exactly did you spot me?
I don't remember, but I am damn sure I spotted a white car with a white sticker on that day.

Quote:
Regarding the "live to drive" sticker, I have the replacement sticker ready, just lazy to replace it.
Oh no, that white sticker looks cool on your white car, its matching, let it be!
Old 8th November 2016, 11:37   #23
BHPian

[quote=arun_josie;4085883]

Last year around this time we visited Rameshwaram We started from Bangalore and reached Rameshwaram. Till Madurai our journey was pleaseant from there onwards till Rameshwaram it was a single road having patches and pot holes in many places besides many speed breakers. I would like to know the present road conditions
Old 8th November 2016, 16:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=KALSANKRPAI;4088698]
Quote:

Last year around this time we visited Rameshwaram We started from Bangalore and reached Rameshwaram. Till Madurai our journey was pleaseant from there onwards till Rameshwaram it was a single road having patches and pot holes in many places besides many speed breakers. I would like to know the present road conditions
Till Paramakudi, the roads are average to good with patch works here and there but no potholes, for sure. After that, its in very good condition. Lot of diversions though due to the 4L work. Overall, you can maintain some decent speeds.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2016, 16:03   #25
BHPian

Good one Arun, I too have Rameswaram in my mind from a long time. Only thing is that I have never been able to make it. I hope I will take this as an inspiration and plan something soon. My only hindrance most of the time was that as soon as I reach Madurai, I feel a magical pull to my hometown (Trivandrum) and will start gunning down the superb highway all the way to kavalkinar even though now road post Madurai is not that great, as it used to be. Will try to make it soon, by the way any suggestions if I plan to stay overnight there, is it worth it or should I combine some other place too ?
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 08:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
My only hindrance most of the time was that as soon as I reach Madurai, I feel a magical pull to my hometown (Trivandrum) and will start gunning down the superb highway all the way to kavalkinar even though now road post Madurai is not that great, as it used to be.
Yes, I agree as I drive frequently to Nagercoil.

Quote:

Will try to make it soon, by the way any suggestions if I plan to stay overnight there, is it worth it or should I combine some other place too ?
I saw some good hotels there. But we got a better deal in Madurai so decided to stay in Madurai. Otherwise my initial plan was to stay in Rameswaram one day and Thanjavur one day. Even thanjavur was costly.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 09:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Had done a Chennai - Rameshwaram trip in my i10 about 3 yrs back I think. Good roads ( as is the case in most of TN - except of course within Chennai city ).

But didn't you go to Karaikudi in this trip ?

great pics of BRIHADEESHWARA temple - what a remarkable place this is - am still in awe when I see pics of this temple.

Quote:
Yes - a must see place. I was in Cambodia earlier this month and visited the Angkor Wat ( another UNESCO world heritage site and supposedly the largest Hindu place of workship ever built ). I would rate the BRIHADEESHWARA temple on par with the Angor Wat main temple complex in terms of grandeur and splendour .
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 09:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree as I drive frequently to Nagercoil.

I saw some good hotels there. But we got a better deal in Madurai so decided to stay in Madurai. Otherwise my initial plan was to stay in Rameswaram one day and Thanjavur one day. Even thanjavur was costly.
Nice trip Arun. Last year I drove to Kanyakumari-Rameswaram from Bangalore. I took the Rameswaram-Madurai passenger train to feel the experience of Pamban bridge. Awesome journey it was.
In Rameswaram, I stayed in Hotel Pearl Residency. Abdul Kalam's house, Railway station are at stone's throw from this hotel.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 09:41   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Chola temples are massive in size (height especially) when compared to Hoysala temples. However, Hoysala temples seem to have more elaborate & detailed carvings.
Yes they are massive in Size ! If you really need to find out you should try the Kumbakonam belt. Apart from these you have the famous Navagraha circuit; again built by them and also there are some big ones in Chidambaram, Sirkazhi etc.

If I were to formulate this as a mathematical statement:
For a total number of trips N to Kumbakonam, even as N tends to infinity; for every N+1th trip you will still have an big temple to visit !

Quote:
By the way: Not just Brihadeshwara temple there are a total 4 which were constructed by Cholas on the same lines and I think all 4 are UNESCO world heritage property.

1. Brihadeshwara Temple @ Tanjore
2. Gangai Konda Cholapuram (A few km off the the Chennai-KMU road)
3. Darsuram @ Kumbakonam
4. Tribuvanam (On the KMU Mayavaram road)

All 4 are equally massive. (I have ticked off the first 3. The 4th is pending)
I have had my share of Kumbakonam visits. Couple of big ones are still pending. (And I have your list from the other travelogue to visit in KA!)

Arun, Awesome ride. Its nice to note that Madurai-Ramnad is getting 4-laned. So its end to end ?

Also why Madurai on the way back? You could have done: Ramnad-Karaikudi-Pudukottai-Vallam-Tanjore. One of the very nice 2-lanes!

Last edited by ampere : 11th November 2016 at 09:44.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 13:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Nice travelogue.
But didn't you go to Karaikudi in this trip ?

great pics of BRIHADEESHWARA temple - what a remarkable place this is - am still in awe when I see pics of this temple.
Thanks narayan!

No, we didn't cover Karaikudi this time. For sure, we will cover this place next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Arun, Awesome ride. Its nice to note that Madurai-Ramnad is getting 4-laned. So its end to end ?
I think the plan is end-end but currently at least 30-40% of this stretch is under work in progress.

Quote:
Also why Madurai on the way back? You could have done: Ramnad-Karaikudi-Pudukottai-Vallam-Tanjore. One of the very nice 2-lanes!
Yes, my initial thought was same and that would have made more sense. But this being a late decision considering the long weekend, I didn't get good deals in Thanjavur for stay and I was on a tight budget as well. So, we decided to stay in Madurai.

Rameswaram - Thanjavur - Kumbakonam - Pondicherry - Chennai would have been a better plan. Anyways, there is always a next time

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks