Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:50   #1
BHPian

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park

They say : 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. For me, 'Enjoy the winters when you are in Canada!!'

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0008-large.jpg

Its been almost 2.5 years that I have moved to Canada. While I have been visiting places all these days, I was not finding enough time to put together a travelogue. Also, had been a passive member of the forum.

So, on the first day of 2017, I decided that I will start bringing to you, some of the sights from this beautiful country, through 'Canadascapes'. In these travelogues, will share with you some of the pictures that I took from the places I visited. Will keep the narrative to a minimum.

Algonquin Provincial Park is a famous Provincial Park in Ontario, which is world famous, for its Sugar Maple trees, that puts up a fabulous display of colors in the Fall season. I have visited this park in all the seasons, and every time, it presented itself in a totally different form.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0024-large.jpg

This time, we decided to spend Christmas at a lovely secluded Viceroy cottage, overlooking Eagle Lake, in the Algonquin area. Ourselves and 2 other families drove up in 2 cars.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03457-large.jpg

I took my trusted Nissan Altima and my friend took his Chrysler 300. The Altima has already done 155K+ Kms and still drives like a dream. It has already been to the US with me, on 3 different road trips.

Our vacation spot was about 400 kms from where I stay. Left home at 10 am and then stopped at an Indian restaurant for brunch, with yummy Chole Bhatura. The drive took almost 6 hrs with 3 breaks in between.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161225_154511_hdr-large.jpg

The final destination being quite remote, with the nearest town being 60 kms away, we carried our ration with us. The trunks of both the cars were choc-a-bloc with food items and other essentials.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161225_155100_hdr-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0009-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0012-large.jpg

As we left the highway and turned towards the forest, the tarred roads made way to gravel roads. Overnight, there had been a lot of snow in the area. While the highways have been cleared, there had been hardly any snow removal on the forest roads.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03482-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03480-large.jpg

The days being quite short these days, the sun was about to set when we reached the cottage.

Inside the cottage was very cozy and we had a fabulous time for the next 4 days.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0005-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03454-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03455-large.jpg

The cottage overlooked Eagle Lake, which had already frozen by this time.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0039-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc_0019-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03469-large.jpg

The day before we were supposed to leave, the temperature rose close to 0 deg that resulted in some of the snow on the road to melt. This spelt doom as the overnight freezing temperatures turned the roads into thick sheets of ice. The day that we were to leave, it was as if we were driving on sheets of glass with a thin layer of snow on it. The cars drifted and spun in all directions for close to 30 kms, as we made our way out of the forests, before we hit the highway again. The rest of the drive was smooth and fast.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161228_123926_hdr-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161228_123847_hdr-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161228_123858_hdr-large.jpg

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-dsc03497-large.jpg

On our way back, found this snow mobile fueling up at a gas station.

Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park-20161228_173232_hdr-large.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 4th January 2017 at 10:37. Reason: Typo corrected
Saurabh M is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 03:21   #2
BHPian

Re: Canadascapes : Christmas at Algonquin Park

Well hello fellow Canadian! Very happy to know a tbhpian lives closeby (Kitchener, eh?).

Canada is a beautiful country, summer or snow. Canada's provincial parks are all FREE this year as the country celebrates 150 years of confederation. We got ourselves a free pass and plan to explore a few parks this year.

We should get in touch!

Btw, what were your activities once you reached the cottage?
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
This time, we decided to spend Christmas at a lovely secluded Viceroy cottage, overlooking Eagle Lake, in the Algonquin area. Ourselves and 2 other families drove up in 2 cars.
Thanks for sharing! Man, that cottage looks AWESOME! Perfect secluded getaway to spend quality time with your lover / family / close friends.

How much to rent a cottage like this?

Quote:
The cars drifted and spun in all directions for close to 30 kms, as we made our way out of the forests
Must have been fun due to the lack of traffic . Any notes on how the RWD performed compared to the FWD?
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Well hello fellow Canadian! Very happy to know a tbhpian lives closeby (Kitchener, eh?).

Canada is a beautiful country, summer or snow. Canada's provincial parks are all FREE this year as the country celebrates 150 years of confederation. We got ourselves a free pass and plan to explore a few parks this year.

We should get in touch!

Btw, what were your activities once you reached the cottage?
Sure hellmet. Will plan and meet up some time. I also got myself a free pass, but I guess the pass is free for National Parks and National Historic Sites only. The Provincial Parks are probably not free. The sites are mentioned in the list of parks that came with the Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing! Man, that cottage looks AWESOME! Perfect secluded getaway to spend quality time with your lover / family / close friends.

How much to rent a cottage like this?

Must have been fun due to the lack of traffic . Any notes on how the RWD performed compared to the FWD?
Yes, the cottage was awesome. This was a 3 bedroom cottage. We were 6 adults and 2 kids in total. All of us enjoyed a lot, including the youngest one, who is only 2.5 yrs.

The cottage costed us CA$304 per night. We were there for 3 nights/4 days.

Well...the 300 struggled a lot to keep itself straight on the road and at one point, landed itself in a very tricky situation and drifted into a shallow ditch off the road. It had to be extracted with a lot of effort. The Altima did pretty good. There was zero traffic in that desolate land. It was fun doing 60-65 kph on the icy roads with the rear stepping out on the wide curves. To keep it mildly, I was reliving my rally days
Saurabh M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 18:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
They say : 'When in Rome, so as the Romans do'. For me, 'Enjoy the winters when you are in Canada!!'

Attachment 1591026

Hope you enjoyed the pics.
I loved the first pic; so much that I couldn't stop myself from just quoting it Keep 'em coming. The style of keeping narrative to a minimum with more pics is good.
How is the Chrysler 300 to maintain as a car? Can you get some inputs from your friend; I know I'm forgetting that this is a travelogue :P
rav11stars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:40   #6
BHPian

hello from another Indo Canadian from around GTA

Awesome clicks and quick log.
I am also planning to visit Algonquin and many other parks this coming summers.
amitw79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2017, 02:40   #7
BHPian

WOW. The moment i read Altima, i rolled the page to look at the name and i guessed it right. Excellent pics ! Keep the travelogues coming !
Old 5th January 2017, 03:07   #8
BHPian

Wow any other TBHPians out here? We could perhaps have a TBHP meet in some of these parks during summer...what say folks?!
Old 5th January 2017, 23:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Wow any other TBHPians out here? We could perhaps have a TBHP meet in some of these parks during summer...what say folks?!
Count me in
Old 6th January 2017, 00:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav11stars View Post
I loved the first pic; so much that I couldn't stop myself from just quoting it Keep 'em coming. The style of keeping narrative to a minimum with more pics is good.
How is the Chrysler 300 to maintain as a car? Can you get some inputs from your friend; I know I'm forgetting that this is a travelogue :P
Thanks for your comments. As far as I am aware, this is a 2012 model and my friend bought it used, with about 60K on the odo. He says that he does typical scheduled maintenance with regular oil changes only. So far the car has not let him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitw79 View Post
hello from another Indo Canadian from around GTA

Awesome clicks and quick log.
I am also planning to visit Algonquin and many other parks this coming summers.
Sure. Everyone goes to Algonquin during Fall, but the other seasons at the park are equally beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertramps View Post
WOW. The moment i read Altima, i rolled the page to look at the name and i guessed it right. Excellent pics ! Keep the travelogues coming !
Welcome
Saurabh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 21:32   #11

Quote:
Count me in
Are Detroiters welcome?
Old 6th January 2017, 23:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Quote:
Count me in
Sure thing. Lets plan for a summer meet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepzkonnected View Post
Are Detroiters welcome?
Ofcourse. Just cross over the border
Old 7th January 2017, 02:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice and crisp travelogue! Loved the pictures.
Your friend drives his RWD 300 all year round? It was quite adventurous of him though, I must say!
You have given me the inspiration to start putting together my travelogues too. Every year at the beginning of summer, we drive down to Cape Cod and every fall, we drive up to Vermont. In between there are numerous trips as well. Need to start putting them together from now on.
Old 7th January 2017, 20:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Nice and crisp travelogue! Loved the pictures.
Your friend drives his RWD 300 all year round? It was quite adventurous of him though, I must say!
You have given me the inspiration to start putting together my travelogues too. Every year at the beginning of summer, we drive down to Cape Cod and every fall, we drive up to Vermont. In between there are numerous trips as well. Need to start putting them together from now on.
Yes, thats what he does and you bet, its quite an adventure for him

Looking forward to your travelogues, bring them on!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks