Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang

What a way to celebrate Christmas. I would have met you had I left 2 days later.

It's quite apparent that the Mustang shines in Indian conditions. Looking at the reviews, I think Ford should consider revising pricing (which they have become an expert at )

One question: Are these beasts popular in Australia too?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
Wow! It must be a great experience. You got one hell of a Christmas present this year. I wish Santa becomes this clement towards me one day.
All you need to do is be a good boy to get into Santa's good books. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M6 View Post
What exactly you meant by this? Does it mean that this was the predominant direction for this trip?
My point was with regards to the onboard compass on the Mustang, which shows the current direction of travel.

If you remember, in its current form, the Mustang does not come with GPS navigation / maps for India. I would think surely it will make an appearance down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice thread Ben! Your love for the car clearly shines through. Very entertaining.

The Mustang is eye candy for sure, especially in that red shade. Harebrained pricing by Ford, though! Else it'd have quite a few additional takers.
Thanks Noop. I admit i am quite impressed with the Mustang, there is still something raw about it which appeals to me.

The red shade is a big-time attention grabber. However, it also led to questions on whether it was a Ferrari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgkulkarni View Post
Fantastic account of your small little trip to Chennai. How I wish I could trade with you to be behind those wheels. 8.2 kpl for a 5 litre v8 is amazing. Its almost as good as Duster petrol in the city.

That said one would rarely feel disappointed behind the mustang's wheels. The exhaust note is as you mentioned the icing on the cake.

Slightly off topic but does Ford plan to have the car assembled and localized? These tours are definitely an indication that ford wants to put its money in the market and quite frankly there would be no competition if they bring it close to say 35-40 lakhs.
Thanks ramgkulkarni.
The FE should probably be the least of our priorities when considering a car like this, but i mentioned the same purely based on its worthiness as a tourer, as Ford markets it.

No idea as yet about localization plans for the Mustang in India. I suppose it could be a period of evaluation to see if the numbers justify it. On the other hand, if Ford is seriously targeting the 30-40 lakhs market, they would be aim to get the Ecoboost variant i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This is 100% bang truth; may be Ferrari & Lambos might behave the same, I don't know. But this statement is 100% true, you get the power, torque whatsoever less than milliseconds on tapping the gas pedal; and the press & power are proportional!! If it weren't for this legendary car in 2007 Nov in Detroit...then I will not be even typing this here today, TBhp would've never had this member & my Son would've grown up without seeing his Father!!
What was this incident about? An overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong?
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:22   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I think these two articles can answer your question mate.

Article 1:
Quote:
Ford Australia is facing a unique dilemma with the Ford Mustang, with orders now backlogged for almost two years.

When Ford launched the Mustang locally earlier in the year, the company reported 4000 Mustang orders on its books. This also meant a waiting list of almost a year for any orders placed after launch.

With deliveries now starting, the presence of cars on the road has prompted buyers into action. The rush of customers has pushed orders out to over 6000, with a waiting list stretching out to well into 2017.

Ford Australia communications and public affairs director, Wes Sherwood, told CarAdvice that the company was amazed with the uptake.
Article 2:

Quote:
Ford Australia has secured an extra 2000 Mustangs to satisfy massive local demand. Additionally, this range of MY17 Ford Mustangs due late this year will be the first to come with Ford’s new Sync 3 infotainment system, including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

The extra stock of new MY17 Mustangs will arrive here near the end of 2016, and help rein in a shortfall that had seen the waiting list stretch into the second half of 2017. With an order book beyond 6000 units (25 per cent higher than predicted), it will help greatly.

Ford Mustang sales began at the start of this year, but such was the demand, the entire 2016 allocation was sold out before anyone actually drove it here. It’s been the nation’s top-selling sports car this year.
Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:33   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What a way to celebrate Christmas. I would have met you had I left 2 days later.

It's quite apparent that the Mustang shines in Indian conditions. Looking at the reviews, I think Ford should consider revising pricing (which they have become an expert at )

Trust me, it wasn't easy telling my parents i wouldn't be home for Xmas.

As for the Mustang's popularity in Australia, it was only launched in Australia in 2015. This is the thread i had created then:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ns-sydney.html

Between here is a GT i saw on the roads this Sunday.

Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-img_0014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I think these two articles can answer your question mate.

Article 1:

Article 2:

Cheers
Thanks for that Joxster. Didnt realize how overbooked it was already!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 23rd January 2017 at 19:52.
benbsb29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
What was this incident about? An overtaking manoeuvre gone wrong?
Yep; you guessed right; I was on fastest lane (left most) doing 75 Mph & half way overtaking when one of the 18 Wheeler from middle lane started overtaking another 18 wheeler by moving to my lane; probably I was in his blind spot.

As I was nearing the mid section of 18 wheeler, I felt something moving over my head & I was

Without thinking further, I floored the car while steering towards shoulder committing all traffic violations to avoid an incident & finished my overtaking only in shoulder & moved to left most lane again.

Later at downtown Detroit, I tried recalling the whole incident...
- How I was pushed hard to the seat during the acceleration
- That instant pickup of Mustang at that very moment & how the car reacts (our cars only respond) to even millimeter movement of gas pedal
- That immense torque even beyond 120 Kmph without a micro second delay
- A mighty jump from 70 Kmph to probably 90 Mph or even more in few seconds probably less than 3 or 5, not sure though.

PS - On that particular day, I was given a replacement Mustang instead of my regular Cobalt as Cobalt had some steering issue and Hertz didn't have the Civic or Elantra I had requested.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Jealous is the first word that came to my mind after reading this.
Wow! that is one beautiful monster and you must have been a really good boy to get that Christhmas gift.
Lovely pictures. If only i knew about this, i would've followed you till the breakfast point for some McD Burgers and some pictures of course

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 23rd January 2017 at 23:23.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 09:29   #22
BHPian

Thank you for sharing the experience with us.
We were leaving HP-Shoolagiri when we saw the "GJ" registered red mustang coming from the opposite direction, guess you had missed the main entry. A GJ registered V8 near Shoolagiri made me think for a second that it might be a sponsored drive :-), and indeed it was.
And now I also know it was Jaggu with his Tiger (there were 3 I guess), great to know there were BHPians with the best versions of tiger and ponies.
arighna.dutta is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 09:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yep; you guessed right; I was on fastest lane (left most) doing 75 Mph & half way overtaking when one of the 18 Wheeler from middle lane started overtaking another 18 wheeler by moving to my lane; probably I was in his blind spot.

As I was nearing the mid section of 18 wheeler, I felt something moving over my head & I was

Without thinking further, I floored the car while steering towards shoulder committing all traffic violations to avoid an incident & finished my overtaking only in shoulder & moved to left most lane again.

Later at downtown Detroit, I tried recalling the whole incident...
- How I was pushed hard to the seat during the acceleration
- That instant pickup of Mustang at that very moment & how the car reacts (our cars only respond) to even millimeter movement of gas pedal
- That immense torque even beyond 120 Kmph without a micro second delay
- A mighty jump from 70 Kmph to probably 90 Mph or even more in few seconds probably less than 3 or 5, not sure though.

PS - On that particular day, I was given a replacement Mustang instead of my regular Cobalt as Cobalt had some steering issue and Hertz didn't have the Civic or Elantra I had requested.
Scary experience indeed. It's good that you kept your wits about you, and came out unscathed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Jealous is the first word that came to my mind after reading this.
Wow! that is one beautiful monster and you must have been a really good boy to get that Christhmas gift.
Lovely pictures. If only i knew about this, i would've followed you till the breakfast point for some McD Burgers and some pictures of course
To be honest, i didnt have much idea of our itinerary in advance, so there was no way i could have planned out a meet. The start time too was left to my discretion, and decided just a few hours prior to the drive.

There's always a next time, i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arighna.dutta View Post
Thank you for sharing the experience with us.
We were leaving HP-Shoolagiri when we saw the "GJ" registered red mustang coming from the opposite direction, guess you had missed the main entry. A GJ registered V8 near Shoolagiri made me think for a second that it might be a sponsored drive :-), and indeed it was.
And now I also know it was Jaggu with his Tiger (there were 3 I guess), great to know there were BHPians with the best versions of tiger and ponies.
Yup, that was us, and i was driving. Despite having been to the HP fuel station and McD many times in the past, i went past it during the drive. I havent been on that road since it was made a 6 lane highway, so i kinad expected the entry to be further up ahead. This meant i had to go to the next service lane entry and make our way back.

As i said earlier, there is always a Team-BHPian around.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 19:49   #24
BANNED

And the mighty Ford Mustang has scored an impressive 2 star safety rating in Euro NCAP
Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-mustang.jpg

Report attached for reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf euroncap-2017-ford-mustang-datasheet.pdf (590.3 KB, 145 views)
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 01:22   #25
BHPian

Shocking indeed.
Well at least it scores 64% on pedestrian safety, so the car-meet crowd can heave a sigh of relief.

Jokes aside, this is something unexpected. Apparently, this is the first time in a decade a major manufacturer has scored so low in the Euro NCAP test.
Issues with airbags not inflating enough, and dummies penetrating straight through them on some occasions, have been stated as the reasons for the low score.
Source : https://www.carthrottle.com/post/for...-safety-score/

MODS : Please remove source link if this is not permitted. Apologies
Rohan24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 08:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Report Benny. As a recent Mustang owner I can relate to some of your experience, ofcourse the V8 is a monster & need to be respected.

If anyone has any questions about the 6th gen Mustang, I would be glad to answer

Here are two close up shots

Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-mustang.jpg

Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-image0031.jpg
Technocrat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 09:49   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
And the mighty Ford Mustang has scored an impressive 2 star safety rating in Euro NCAP

Report attached for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Shocking indeed.
Well at least it scores 64% on pedestrian safety, so the car-meet crowd can heave a sigh of relief.

Jokes aside, this is something unexpected. Apparently, this is the first time in a decade a major manufacturer has scored so low in the Euro NCAP test.
Issues with airbags not inflating enough, and dummies penetrating straight through them on some occasions, have been stated as the reasons for the low score.
Source : https://www.carthrottle.com/post/for...-safety-score/

MODS : Please remove source link if this is not permitted. Apologies
I was quite disappointed too, seeing that news. It created quite a stir among
the local news websites too. Here is Ford's response to one such website on the Mustang's dismal score.

Quote:
motoring: What advice do you have for Mustang owners concerned with the safety of their car?
Günsberg: Mustang is a safe vehicle. Customers can continue to enjoy their Mustang knowing that it features advanced safety features and a structure designed to manage crash energy under a variety of crash modes. Mustang delivered a four-star result for front adult occupants and a five-star result for pedestrian safety. The Mustang features a suite of advanced safety features including an ‘active’ pop-up bonnet, as well as driver and front passenger airbags, front and passenger knee airbags. It also offers side airbags, side chest airbags and driver/passenger side impact airbags. A driver and front passenger seatbelt reminder system is standard.
http://www.motoring.com.au/ford-says...g-safe-105638/
Old 31st January 2017, 21:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Benny I guess you are in love, now time to take that cheque book and head to the nearest shop! Finally managed to find the thread and quite loved the narrative, right from the heart.

Merry Xmas to you once again and may it snow everyday!

Thanks for sharing.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:21   #29
BHPian

That's a wonderful write up benbsb29! The Stang is a dream car for sure I saw one here in Chennai in Alwarpet the other day. It looks way more imposing in person and sounds like an absolute beast!!!
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 06:43   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Benny I guess you are in love, now time to take that cheque book and head to the nearest shop! Finally managed to find the thread and quite loved the narrative, right from the heart.

Merry Xmas to you once again and may it snow everyday!

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Jaggu. Somehow missed replying to this one earlier.
I'm quite smitten by the Mustang, honestly. Not sure if i can afford one now, but lets see down the line.

Got my daughter a RC version though.

Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-img_6080.jpg

Spreading Xmas cheer from Bangalore to Chennai with the Ford Mustang-img_6081.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
That's a wonderful write up benbsb29! The Stang is a dream car for sure I saw one here in Chennai in Alwarpet the other day. It looks way more imposing in person and sounds like an absolute beast!!!
Thanks kaush. Sure is worth drooling over!
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks