Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 09:04   #61
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Iceland: Not just a destination, but a therapy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Good grief! The last time I visited UK in November (nothing sub-zero) I was wearing up to seven levels of clothing.

I guess I'm never going to see Icelandic beauty. Natural or, err... natural.
Why not? During the summers maybe. Thanks to the Midnight Sun, one can actually cover a lot of places in a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Unbelievably well written travelogue. Enjoyed every bit of your writing. Pictures do the justice to the amazing narration.
Rated well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Awesome. Super pictures and excellent narration. Some of your snaps are screen saver material.

A few quick questions:
1. Did you use any agent for Visas or did you get them yourselves?
2. Where did you rent your cars from? Did this include all insurances?
3. Last but not the least. What equipment did you use for the photographs
Thanks a lot !

The answers to your questions :

1. Yes the visa was done through an agent in Mumbai. They charged us a nominal fee as the agent was known to us.

2. We rented the cars from Iceland 4x4 Car Rental. All insurances were at an additional cost. After selecting the car of your choice, you will have to select the insurances you require from their website. Everything was done online, so it is hassle-free.

3. I just use a humble Canon 700D with a 18-55mm lens and a 70-300mm zoom lens. All pics have been clicked from the Canon 700D and some have been clicked from the iPhone camera. That's about it.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 23:05   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
2. We rented the cars from Iceland 4x4 Car Rental.
Thank you for the responses.

I went to the car hire website and noticed something really odd. For all the 4x4 vehicles it says "Suitable for all mountain and F-roads (excl. F249)". Now, here I was, wondering what's so special about F249?

As is the case these days, quickly asked Mr. Google and was kindly directed to this site Understanding Iceland's F roads. See the video on this site.

Wow! Now I understand why you can't take rented 4x4 vehicles on F249.
ptushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 10:56   #63
BHPian

Wowww! The pictures are just breath taking
Every one is better than the one earlier
The one with the rainbow next to the waterfall is an amazing click.
Your narration and photographs are going to be a vivid memory till i can visit someday in the furure ... Thanks for sharing.
Transporter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 10:12   #64
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Thank you for the responses.

I went to the car hire website and noticed something really odd. For all the 4x4 vehicles it says "Suitable for all mountain and F-roads (excl. F249)". Now, here I was, wondering what's so special about F249?

As is the case these days, quickly asked Mr. Google and was kindly directed to this site Understanding Iceland's F roads. See the video on this site.

Wow! Now I understand why you can't take rented 4x4 vehicles on F249.
Yes absolutely !

The F249 is scary, even the locals don't venture there without ensuring what lies ahead. I saw a book about F249 at one of the homestays during our stay in Iceland, some of the pics of the road was mind-numbing scary.

We were more content doing the other tamer gravel roads, didn't want to risk venturing into an unknown territory.

Super Jeeps are hired to drive through F249. The Super Jeeps with their lift-kits and flared wheelarches are equally intimidating as the notorious F249.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
Wowww! The pictures are just breath taking
Every one is better than the one earlier
The one with the rainbow next to the waterfall is an amazing click.
Your narration and photographs are going to be a vivid memory till i can visit someday in the furure ... Thanks for sharing.
Thanks a ton sir.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 14:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I kept on wondering how will we read out the names of the Icelandic cities in case we get lost and we need to ask a local.
Are you familiar now ?

Breathtaking, Surreal, Stunning and I can go on and on. Wondering, If it's so good in Pictures, I can't imagine in reality.

Scouring and scouting for someone to plan and execute, so that I can be on board.

Thanks for the travelogue. It gives an insight into an alien land for most of us in India.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 10:52   #66
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Are you familiar now ?
Yes, almost.

Quote:
Breathtaking, Surreal, Stunning and I can go on and on. Wondering, If it's so good in Pictures, I can't imagine in reality.

Scouring and scouting for someone to plan and execute, so that I can be on board.
I recently read a newspaper article about a Travel Agent from Gujarat who is organising a 15-day trip to Iceland and provides vegetarian food throughout the trip. Can't seem to find the article now. So it seems many tour operators are gearing up with planned trips to Iceland from India now.

Quote:
Thanks for the travelogue. It gives an insight into an alien land for most of us in India.
Alien land indeed. It has been 6 months since I am back from Iceland, but still the memories of each moment are fresh as if I was there just yesterday. Its indeed a very beautiful country.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 21:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I recently read a newspaper article about a Travel Agent from Gujarat who is organising a 15-day trip to Iceland and provides vegetarian food throughout
I had stumbled upon an interesting bit of marketing lingo on a site a few days ago. It is possible that the article you read was about them. Here is a sample.

Quote:
Comfort Voyages acts as an Outbound Tour – Operator to destinations like Australia – New Zealand, East Africa, South Africa, Middle East, China, Canadian Rockies with Alaska Cruise, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, Spain, Europe, Central Europe, Ireland, Iceland, United States of America, Japan, Scandinavia with Russia, Fiji Islands. Sri Lanka, Maldives, Maruitiues and Re union Islands.

We are specialized in operating Pure Vegetarian Group Tours to different Destinations. We serve our clients Pure Jain / Pure Vegetarian Food cooked by our Chef in the Kitchen of the same Hotel where the group is staying.

We have patronized our clients in serving them with pure Jain / Vegetarian Food, as we strongly feel that with an empty stomach it is very difficult to enjoy any vacation around the world.

We have at our disposal a team of well trained , hygienic and efficient chefs who cook any vegetarian dish may it be Continental, Punjabi, South Indian or Pure Gujarati Food. Depending on the group size our chefs always travel with the group at all places of visits. We also carry with us all the food ingredients and other accessories required for all our meals to be prepared by our chef. We serve "Chaat" and "Paani Puri" in Beijing / Shanghai, South Africa and other destinations of the world. We serve the best quality of sweets, dry fruits and dry snacks purchased from the best suppliers in Mumbai.
Disclaimer: Neither am I affiliated to the operator in any manner nor have I availed their services.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 16:52   #68
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I had stumbled upon an interesting bit of marketing lingo on a site a few days ago. It is possible that the article you read was about them.
I am really not able to recollect the name of the tour operator but it was a very similar package, might be the same tour operator but not too sure.

Paani Puri in Shanghai, wow !

Thanks for sharing this, looks quite interesting.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:24   #69
BHPian

Wow! what a travel/photologue! Five Stars, of course We so badly wanted to do iceland but we did germany, slovenia, croatia and switzerland instead, as our german friend told us iceland and norway deserve exclusive ime.

Reading your travelogue, we can relate to his statement perfectly.

Thanks for all the details on home stays and rental cars. We need to plan for it sometime in near future. Hope we can PM you if needed?

Question, how come you left out norway ?!
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:30   #70
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Wow! what a travel/photologue! Five Stars, of course We so badly wanted to do iceland but we did germany, slovenia, croatia and switzerland instead, as our german friend told us iceland and norway deserve exclusive ime.

Reading your travelogue, we can relate to his statement perfectly.
Thanks a ton. Iceland indeed deserves a minimum couple of weeks.

Quote:
Thanks for all the details on home stays and rental cars. We need to plan for it sometime in near future. Hope we can PM you if needed?
Ofcourse sir.

Quote:
Question, how come you left out norway ?!
We had just two weeks for the trip so it was getting very difficult to accommodate Norway or Finland in the itinerary.

I always wanted to visit Svalbard. So I wish to plan a separate trip to Norway and cover places like Trolltunga, Atlantic Ocean Road, Trollstigen Road, Tromso, Bergen plus few days at Svalbard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks