Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 18:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A HOT summer drive: Bangalore to Mangalore in an Ambassador!

A good travelogue, with some really drool worthy food (was it the chicken ghee roast & neer dosa on one of the pics?)!

A question though,
Why is the fuel not being filled from the fuel cap at the top of the tank (right side of the rear windscreen)?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 18:54   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
My eyes are playing tricks on me again. Is steering wheel on the left hand side?
Nah! Mirror image. Check out the number plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
A question though,
Why is the fuel not being filled from the fuel cap at the top of the tank (right side of the rear windscreen)?
LPG Bro! He's not ready to succumb to the poor fuel efficiency of this classic machine.

My eyes are stuck on the food pics. I think I'm hungry. I'll have to zoom in on the Amby later tonight when I'm full.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 11th April 2017 at 18:57.
MaheshY1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 14:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Very well written travelogue with superb pictures, reminds me of my trip to Mangalore in my old trusted Premier Padmini back in the mid 90's, thanks for sharing !
kannan666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 15:53   #19
BHPian

Both the amby and the fiat logs are brilliant and to a lot of us take us through memory lanes with our first loves!Superb Karthik looking for more trips with the beauties.

The pabbas ice-creams though a must visit when @ Mangalore (a la chit chat and Lakeview Bangalore experience or Rustoms in Mumbai)now seem a tad on the sweeter side.
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2017, 23:51   #20

Funkykar, great travelogue. Hope you guys had a blast escaping the heat at the beach!
I actually saw you guys on the Mangalore highway a couple of times, we passed you and you passed us while we stopped for fuel.
Me and my family thought you guys were traveling from Pondicherry (license plate) and were amazed to see someone travel so far in an ambassador.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Last stop before reaching Bangalore. Swathi Delicacy for Dinner.
Attachment 1627800
[b]
By any chance, do you remember a gold Honda city, we parked right next to you at swathi.
Me (1st floor facing right)and my uncle's car(silver etios )sort of photobombed this pic
Paradox p100d is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Re: Ashrita?

Quote:
We had a late lunch at Hotel Ashrita. This place serves very good Akki Rotti. Its our favourite and we relished it.
Where is this place?

I thought 'Akki Rotti' to be from Mythri at Sakleshpur.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 11:43   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ashrita?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Where is this place?
Also in Sakaleshpura. Quite a popular place for regular travelers and difficult to miss this.

The only time I had seen this deserted was when Shiradi was closed, 2 years back.

They serve good Akki Rotis.

Quote:
Well, in that way, even Surabhi serves good Akki Rottis, again at Sakaleshpur.

So most of the hotels here do serve it and each one have their unique taste - More so if you look at the curry that is served with it.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:20   #23
BHPian

These guys are rocking!! Modern metrosexual(or retrosexual ?) men (or children at heart ?) on the truly classic Ambassador, having the time of their life on the highway ! And they are serious about their food, especially their ice creams.
Can't stop laughing all the way,looking at the photographs and reading through the posts covering the journey. Can't beat this closing line!
Quote:
End of the trip, we all feel Bangalore summer so bearable! Mission Accomplished!
The photographs focusing the men and the machine have come out greatly. Funkykar's attire is terrific.

I particularly liked the below one. I once tried sitting on my FIL's Chevrolet Sail's Bonnet and left a big dent

A HOT summer drive: Bangalore to Mangalore in an Ambassador!-dsc_0022.jpg
BLACKBLADE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 15:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
1. What app were you using on the Samsung mobile?
That is the Ulysse GPS Speedometer App. The User Interface is beautiful and seamless.

You can explore the features of the application here
BLACKBLADE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some amazing pics there - had a blast, eh? This thread is shortly going to the homepage . Thanks for sharing.

IMHO, still an unbeatable backseat, wonderful ride quality & a lusty 1.8L petrol.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide not to use the air-con? I can see the Superking blower and it truly is one hell of a king (had the same in my Jeep).
Very humbled to see this on the home page! Oh yeah, for once I did not mind being in the back seat. Generally, I don't even prefer to sit on the co-driver seat. Haha!

The Super King AC is a bone chiller. As name suggests it keeps you like a 'King'.

Idea was to soak up the summer heat. Kind of acclimatizing for the summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Nice trip. Kudos to you three for making it without using the AC. Have seen people longing to experience the chill of winter, but this is the first time I am seeing someone willingly embrace the sun. I strongly suspect that the Pabbas ice creams must have acquired an extra taste due to this .

Sad to see trees being cut in order to widen the roads. Two questions:

1. What app were you using on the Samsung mobile?
2. How was the egg churmuri prepared?
We aren't ice cream fans generally! But Pabbas, drags us into it and makes us eat!

It is the Ulyssy Speedo app. I hate even 1% speedo error and love to see the real GPS speeds. This mobile is dedicated as a speedo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Summer Drive in a Hot car, again to Mangalore.

Brings me back the memories from our drive last year, while you drove your S1 and I tagged along with my dad in my Ertiga. The only change this time I see is that you ended up taking Charmadi this time on return while we did Agumbe last year.

Not to forget loads and loads of Water that he would have gulped during this drive.
Last time was even hotter! The drive through Maravanthe was taxing. We actually did not consume much water this time compared to last year April end drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
How I wished to buy an used Amby 1800 ISZ after I got a job, but unfortunately could not find a single one in good condition. Thanks a lot for sharing this travelogue and wish you many miles of happiness with the amby. Keep traveling and sharing!
Thank you and good luck for your future buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Nice travellogue! And to do it in an Amby without A/C is like going back to the 90's. I for one wouldnt dare to do it.
Its all in the mind and we had made up our mind. Hence, was a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
How does she handle ghats, especially the hairpin bends? Compared to modern hatchbacks or perhaps the Omni?
Not sure why you would compare it with an Omni. With the stock tyres, ghats used to be a bit scary. With the 185 profile, it was really a hot rear wheel drive. Each bend, I ensured the wheel screeching sweet sound came. We really did excellent speeds. I might have done the ghats faster than my other drives in Linea/Palio. The disc brake with booster setup adds and gives you much more confidence. I strongly recommend a 185 section tyre for any Amby for excellent stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
funkykar, good crisp write-up as always! It was nice catching up with you guys!
It was indeed our pleasure to meet you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
A good travelogue, with some really drool worthy food (was it the chicken ghee roast & neer dosa on one of the pics?)!
We did not eat any chicken. We stuck to only sea food. It was the crab ghee roast with neer dosa. We also had kori rotti with chicken gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Very well written travelogue with superb pictures, reminds me of my trip to Mangalore in my old trusted Premier Padmini back in the mid 90's, thanks for sharing !
Thanks! You got any pics of your Padmini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Both the amby and the fiat logs are brilliant and to a lot of us take us through memory lanes with our first loves!Superb Karthik looking for more trips with the beauties.

The pabbas ice-creams though a must visit when @ Mangalore (a la chit chat and Lakeview Bangalore experience or Rustoms in Mumbai)now seem a tad on the sweeter side.
Thank you. Oh yeah Pabbas has a special place in our hearts. Of course, I still love the ice creams at Lakeview!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox p100d View Post
Funkykar, great travelogue. Hope you guys had a blast escaping the heat at the beach!
I actually saw you guys on the Mangalore highway a couple of times, we passed you and you passed us while we stopped for fuel.
Me and my family thought you guys were traveling from Pondicherry (license plate) and were amazed to see someone travel so far in an ambassador.

By any chance, do you remember a gold Honda city, we parked right next to you at swathi.
Me (1st floor facing right)and my uncle's car(silver etios )sort of photobombed this pic
Thank you. YEs, the beach was really fun to beat the heat. Absolutely don't remember seeing you guys!
Quote:
Where is this place?

Hotel Ashrita. One of the best places in Sakleshpura to have breakfast or lunch, especially if you are with family. The khara chutney they serve is super spicy and mind blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
These guys are rocking!! Modern metrosexual(or retrosexual ?) men (or children at heart ?) on the truly classic Ambassador, having the time of their life on the highway ! And they are serious about their food, especially their ice creams.
Can't stop laughing all the way,looking at the photographs and reading through the posts covering the journey. Can't beat this closing line!

The photographs focusing the men and the machine have come out greatly. Funkykar's attire is terrific.

I particularly liked the below one. I once tried sitting on my FIL's Chevrolet Sail's Bonnet and left a big dent
Mangalore is always a fun filled package. The drive is superb and the taste buds and tummy will never complain.

Yes, this pic has been our favourite too. Arun made it black and white and was our display pic for all 3 of us in WhatsApp. IT has remained my cover photo too! All thanks to Chethan to set this up so beautifully!

Of course, one shouldn't dare to try this photo 'stunt' on a modern day car!
funkykar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Ashrita. One of the best places in Sakleshpura to have breakfast or lunch, especially if you are with family. The khara chutney they serve is super spicy and mind blowing.
Now that you say about 'khara' chutney, this place definitely needs a visit. Where exactly is this place in sak'pur? Is it in the town OR on the NH?
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 19:49   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that you say about 'khara' chutney, this place definitely needs a visit. Where exactly is this place in sak'pur? Is it in the town OR on the NH?
Its exactly on NH48 and in the town, opposite to Manzarabad Club and after you cross the Town Bus Stand and on the right when heading towards Mangalore.

Hope that helps.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks