Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 13:51   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar – Khajjiar – Dalhousie – Dharamshala – Manali - Ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Great drive and trip and a travelogue that does full justice. Bravo Arun & family - this is a journey that will live in memory.

Thanks for sharing. As is usual with your travelogues, this will be bookmarked as a reference and quite a few will be motivated to follow your trail.

Please tell your elder son that we are missing the Karnataka bus big time. How could he miss clicking that ??
Thanks a lot, Secretariat !

Karnataka bus, I think he clicked one but the pic was shaky. I will check that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
The seamless log of events that you have penned aside, the way you describe people during your sojourn at different places across the country restores faith in humanity.
Yes, some of the experience were really nice and memorable.

Quote:
Wonderful travelogue. I only wish I could travel as much as you can in your FIAT. I also own a FIAT. But its ergonomics and the associated backpain give me a hard time.

Regards,
Ryuu
Thanks you, Ryuu!
I think it took me around a month to get the right seating position. After that it had been a bliss as I never faced any issues during such drives. So, keep playing around with your seat position to find the one that is comfortable for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche2409 View Post
Wow! Such an engrossing travelogue this one was. Spent my entire evening reading it. Kudos to you for taking on every challenge the mighty roads threw your way.

About the Hatu peak, I agree it's a tough nut to crack; becomes horrible on festive days with full traffic which is managed by the local police.

Got all nostalgic looking at the pictures, my village is just a few kms down the road from where you begun the Hatu climb. Would have loved to be your host for the evening if I were there.

Wishing you many more miles crunching on the stupendous MJD. Keep traveling, keep inspiring.
Thanks you Avalanche2409!
Nice to know that your place is closer to Hatu peak. We loved those places, very calm, scenic and pollution free. Yes, even we would have loved to meet a fellow team-bhpian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Wonderful & Detailed travelogue there arun_josie !! From the mountains to the sea. Kids don't seem to get enough of snow it seems.

Keep traveling & Keep writing

Regards,

Pawan
Thank you, PapaBravo!
Yes, we had to go in search of snow but it looked like the snow was chasing you guys :-). Loved the snow pics/clips in your TL.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2017, 17:14   #62
BHPian

Re: 8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar – Khajjiar – Dalhousie – Dharamshala – Manali - Ch

A great travelogue. I wish to travel to Himachal one day and this travelogue really boosted that desire.

I am a new driver (drove only 15000 Km so far) and those narrow roads, especially the ones with a sharp steep, look really scare me. I think I will panic whenever I see oncoming traffic on those roads. Do you think a driver with very little experience of driving in hills would be able to do well in those roads?
chandra1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 09:27   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1 View Post
A great travelogue. I wish to travel to Himachal one day and this travelogue really boosted that desire.

I am a new driver (drove only 15000 Km so far) and those narrow roads, especially the ones with a sharp steep, look really scare me. I think I will panic whenever I see oncoming traffic on those roads. Do you think a driver with very little experience of driving in hills would be able to do well in those roads?
Thanks chandra1.

In my opinion, you will require good hill driving experience to take such drives. Especially handling narrow and steep roads like the one towards Hatu Peak, Mcleodgang etc.
You may need to start with some easier hill climbing destinations.
Old 1st June 2017, 11:31   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Please tell your elder son that we are missing the Karnataka bus big time. How could he miss clicking that ??
Here is the KA bus click by my son. If I am not wrong, this was before Tumkur.

8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar – Khajjiar – Dalhousie – Dharamshala – Manali - Chail-dscn7023.jpg

And a MH bus,

8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar – Khajjiar – Dalhousie – Dharamshala – Manali - Chail-20170329_064157.jpg
Old 11th June 2017, 18:41   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Had bookmarked your travelogue to read on a rainy day. Finally read the whole thing in 3hours, a lazy Sunday well spent. An absolutely amazing and detailed travelogue. Rated 5 stars! "Kalakiteenga"

9k KMS in 20 days is no small feat. Also your Linea is munching miles like no one's business. Your trip is giving me ideas for future road-trips.

Last edited by Shanksta : 11th June 2017 at 18:42.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 23:24   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Had bookmarked your travelogue to read on a rainy day. Finally read the whole thing in 3hours, a lazy Sunday well spent. An absolutely amazing and detailed travelogue. Rated 5 stars! "Kalakiteenga"
Thanks a lot for your very kind words, Shanksta :-)
Old 13th June 2017, 20:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Though late but still managed to complete your travelogue. The time spent was worth it. Hats off to you for compiling this mega travelogue with so many wonderful pics and such detailed narration. Rated a very well deserved 5*. Wish you many more such trips with your family and your trusted steed.

Last edited by Samba : 13th June 2017 at 20:23.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2018, 19:23   #68
BHPian

Arun - thanks a ton for what is easily one of the finest travelogues I have had the pleasure of reading! You have captured the entire trip in a seamless manner! Awesome! Am planning a 6 day Himachal trip the last week of April. We fly into Amritsar and then drive towards Dharamshala the next day. We intend to cover attractions around Dharamshala and Dalhousie in the 5 days we are there. The intent is to soak in the sights in a relaxed manner. I would have loved to drive my Yeti throughout but am renting an i20 from Amritsar for the whole trip. Your drive details from Dalhousie to Khajjiar kind of has scared me a bit, though! Hopefully, the i20 will help me manage it!

Thanks again and have bookmarked this travelogue of yours for reference!

Waiting for your next trip!

Cheers! Siju.
soul-on-4wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 17:13   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul-on-4wheels View Post
Arun - thanks a ton for what is easily one of the finest travelogues I have had the pleasure of reading! You have captured the entire trip in a seamless manner! Awesome! Am planning a 6 day Himachal trip the last week of April. We fly into Amritsar and then drive towards Dharamshala the next day. We intend to cover attractions around Dharamshala and Dalhousie in the 5 days we are there. The intent is to soak in the sights in a relaxed manner. I would have loved to drive my Yeti throughout but am renting an i20 from Amritsar for the whole trip. Your drive details from Dalhousie to Khajjiar kind of has scared me a bit, though! Hopefully, the i20 will help me manage it!

Thanks again and have bookmarked this travelogue of yours for reference!

Waiting for your next trip!

Cheers! Siju.
Thanks a lot, Siju!

Yes, Dalhousie to Khajjiar was bad but with little bit of patience, we can do it without any issues. Hope this stretch is relaid by now.

You have a nice and enjoyable trip!

Last edited by arun_josie : 18th April 2018 at 17:14.
Old 8th April 2021, 07:42   #70

Trip Advice (Bangalore <-> Dharamshala)

Hey Guys,

My partner and I are planning a 2 month roadtrip from Bangalore to the North, and back. It's kind of like a prep-trip for "living" from our car starting August. For this trip, we're just trying to understand what it means to use our car (2013/14 Renault Duster 1.5 Diesel) as a base. Any advice on this is welcome!

The idea of the trip is to drive up the hot coast from Mangalore to Mumbai through Goa, and then to Jaisalmer, Amritsar, and Dharamshala. My partner wants to explore the coast, and I have never been to Jaisalmer and Amritsar. Hence these points.

Banglore -> Mangalore -> Mumbai -> ???? -> Jaisalmer -> ??? -> Amritsar -> Dharamshala

8597 Kms Drive - Exploring Himachal! Amritsar – Khajjiar – Dalhousie – Dharamshala – Manali - Chail-screenshot-20210408-7.33.47-am.png

Does anyone have advice on this itinerary?
  1. What can we do between Mumbai and Jaisalmer?
  2. Any other nice things on the way to keep in mind?
  3. Anything else you guys have advice on

I am going through the thread on COVID restrictions (Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions). Our plan is to get tested wherever required, and hopefully not quarantine anywhere.

The car will give us some protection also, of course

Please do advice on what we can do. Thanks!
Old 8th April 2021, 11:45   #71
BHPian

Re: Trip Advice (Bangalore <-> Dharamshala)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritamps View Post
Hey Guys,

Banglore -> Mangalore -> Mumbai -> ???? -> Jaisalmer -> ??? -> Amritsar -> Dharamshala

[*]What can we do between Mumbai and Jaisalmer?
Hi, you can do Udaipur on the way from Mumbai to Jaisalmer. While going from Mumbai to Jaisalmer, take the route towards Godhra after entering Vadodara. You will get two routes on Google Maps, one through Ahmedabad and another through Godhra, choose the latter one.
sahil624 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks