Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2017, 07:49   #46
BHPian

Re: An experience called Spiti in a Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
... We soaked in the beauty of the Ropa valley before starting towards Nako. As we were entering Kazigs, the famous zigzag route, we saw a cloud of dust at a fair distance. It looked ominous and got us worried. ...
These are precisely the moments that get us, the armchair readers, to sit upright while reading your travelogue. May be, it's the third or fourth time that I am reading this travelogue of yours. Splendid!

You two seems to make an amazing couple for munching miles after miles in an equally breathtaking surrounding. Keep revving!

Cheers,
gmhossain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 12:13   #47
BHPian

Excellent travelogue and road review. I just loved the way you have integrated your JEEP in most of the pictures and discussions. Not to mention the delicious food + adorable woofies which you encountered en route.

Next time someone asks: What would you do with a THAR. I will give them this link. Rest: history.

Thanks again for this comprehensive and intuitive write-up. Wish you many more!
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 15:54   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
These are precisely the moments that get us, the armchair readers, to sit upright while reading your travelogue. May be, it's the third or fourth time that I am reading this travelogue of yours. Splendid!

You two seems to make an amazing couple for munching miles after miles in an equally breathtaking surrounding. Keep revving!

Cheers,
Thanks a lot gmhossain for the lovely words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Excellent travelogue and road review. I just loved the way you have integrated your JEEP in most of the pictures and discussions. Not to mention the delicious food + adorable woofies which you encountered en route.

Next time someone asks: What would you do with a THAR. I will give them this link. Rest: history.

Thanks again for this comprehensive and intuitive write-up. Wish you many more!
Thanks a ton asingh1977! Here is a video of the puppies that we found behind the old Dhankar Monastery. They were adorable and we were not willing to leave them there -

BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 14:56   #49
BHPian

This is as amazing as they come. Wonderful Travelogue and beautiful description of the hills in their pristine form. The Thar has been a worthy companion and has been great for you.

In the end i believe it is the Man behind the Machine that makes a difference not the other way round. The Thar anyways is a superb Off-roader and if anybody had any issues with its reliability ! Well , there are always your travelogues.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 16:48   #50
BHPian

Wow, one of the best travelogues i have read - the pics, details and the effort on the TL! I am planning on a similar trip next May. Had lot of stars on my gmaps, but your TL added many more.
Few questions:
- Which month did you do this - I don't recollect seeing this anywhere
- Planning the trip in May 2018. I guess the situation will be similar with Rohtang/Kunzum not yet open. Would there be snow on the regular routes until Kunzum?
- Will be going with family/kids. Was AMS an issue at those altitudes?
thanks in advance.
rajarams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 17:26   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwet View Post
This is as amazing as they come. Wonderful Travelogue and beautiful description of the hills in their pristine form. The Thar has been a worthy companion and has been great for you.
Thanks a lot, Shwet! Yes, the Thar has been truly a great companion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Wow, one of the best travelogues i have read - the pics, details and the effort on the TL! I am planning on a similar trip next May. Had lot of stars on my gmaps, but your TL added many more.
Few questions:
- Which month did you do this - I don't recollect seeing this anywhere
- Planning the trip in May 2018. I guess the situation will be similar with Rohtang/Kunzum not yet open. Would there be snow on the regular routes until Kunzum?
- Will be going with family/kids. Was AMS an issue at those altitudes?
thanks in advance.
Thanks a lot, rajarams!

We did this trip from mid of May to the first week of June. The Kunzum pass usually opens by the second week of June, but a lot depends on the amount of snow that year. There should not be snow on the regular routes till Kunzum.
The highest altitudes that we saw were around 15K feet, but we did not stay at those places. The altitudes where we spent the nights were usually much lower at around 12K feet. Though AMS can hit at even lower altitudes, it should not be a problem if adequate measures are taken. A few rules to follow would be -
1. Acclimatise properly, i.e., not rush to higher altitude places. Take adequate stops on the way. This is the most critical point. Nothing beats proper acclimatization
2. Visit the higher places like the passes or highest villages during the day and come down to lower altitude to sleep
3. Drink lots of water
4. Try to keep ears and nose open even if it is cold. This helps in faster acclimatization. Do not sleep with socks on.

You will find a lot more tips on the net. I do not prefer taking medicines. I have sulfa drug allergy, so cannot take Diamox. Coca 30 is a homeopathy alternative, but I am not sure how much it helps. I had it during our first Ladakh trip, never had it again.
All the best for your trip! Do keep us posted and feel free to ask if you have any queries.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th September 2017 at 17:27.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks