Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2017, 19:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nandita & Atul : Fantastic travelogue yet again and the pictures that you share is spellbinding. Please share if all these pictures are DSLR or a mix of phone and camera pictures?
Thanks, the pictures with 'Nandy Photography' watermark are DSLR photos and the rest are taken on an iPhone.

Quote:

1. Any place you recommend to stay in Kodachadri? Simha Farms is booked out
Best place to stay will be the PWD Guesthouse on top, once the 7 kms of off road climb ends. Please note that they have very limited cots, beds, pillows, blankets etc. They provide normal mattresses to sleep on. There are 3 or 4 rooms. One room will hold around 15/20 members. It's a very basic accommodation so carrying sleeping bags and tents is highly advised.
Mr. Swamy is the care taker of the PWD guest house and his number is 9632600648. This is his brother's card.

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-1.jpg

Please inform him well in advance if you are planning to stay here so that food and other necessary items can be arranged. Guesthouse looks something like this:

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-2.jpg

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-22483390867_501881e22e_k.jpg

If this is not preferred then you can stay in Parvatha Homestay (http://parvathahomestay.com/). This is at the base of the hill. Few friends had stayed there few months back.

Quote:
2. Places to visit in and around Kodachadri?
You can trek to the summit of the hill and visit the Sarvajna Peetha temple and also view the sunrise. The peak offers some of the best sunrise views one can ask for.

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-3.jpg

Also, the place is full of lush green grasslands, you can just explore in and around that area. There are some waterfalls nearby, but those are at the foothills.

Quote:
3. Is the weather cold and foggy?
It will be foggy, at nights the temperature drops to a good extent. Otherwise at this time of the year, it will be quite pleasant.

Quote:
4. I can see water at Jog Falls is pretty sparse. That's sad as I never visited Jog falls before and was really looking forward to it
All the times we have visited Jog, we have never seen enough water. But then if you are in that area, then do visit the place, with the crazy rains nowadays, you might get a good view.

Quote:
Also, I heard that there is a ferry that takes you across to Jog Falls from Kodachardi. Any info about the same?
Yes the ferry can be taken from Hosanadu, you need to take the Hasirumakki-Adugodi Road. From there you can take the ferry towards Hasirumakki Ferry Point. From there Jog Falls is approx 50 kms via Sagar town.

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-4.jpg

Hope this helps!
atul.ktm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Atul for sharing a detailed feedback. The places looks pretty good from what I can see.

We are just counting the days to start this ride
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant travelogue and clicks. Thought I'll chip in few points regarding Davangere

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Ordered three benne masala dosa and well, with so much hype created for these dosas, I felt they were pretty ok, not like out of the world.
Been here for the last few years and trying out new places, I can tell you Kottureshwara is not the place that serves best Benne Dosa in town. The place has easy access from NH4 and parking facilities. You can even place an order and savour them in your car

Next time, you may try Ravi Benne Dosa Hotel, Old Sagar Benne Dosa Hotel. And there are few more places in the other side of town which serves yummy ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandita_bayan21 View Post
Thank you so much. The dhaba we stopped by was called AA Dhaba Hotel
Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Also which is the dhaba that you had lunch on way back? The food sounded so yummy.
One of the dhabas I frequent with my friends. There's a mini zoo and tree park very close by.

You may try Hotel Madike. They serve everything in Madike (earthern pot) and plantain leaf. Their chicken and mutton dishes are yummy. The place looks great at night.

If you're into old temples, these temples will be of interest :
  • Sri Anjaneya Swamy Temple built almost 800 years back. Less than a km detour from Shamanur Exit on NH4
  • 12th Century Basaveshwara Temple, Anekonda, Davangere. Around 7 km from the Shamanur Exit. Sharing few pictures I clicked recently :

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-img_20171019_205202.jpg

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-img_20171019_205205.jpg

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-img_20171019_205206.jpg

Hulk’s 1st overnight ride – Chakra Dam, Nagara Fort & Jog Falls-img_20171019_205208.jpg

Quote:
4. I can see water at Jog Falls is pretty sparse. That's sad as I never visited Jog falls before and was really looking forward to it
Suggesting few places nearby Jog Falls :
  • Honnemaradu (translates to Golden Lake) along the banks of River Sharavathi
  • Hirebhaskar or Madenur Dam submerged within Linganamakki Dam's reservoir. Not sure if it's the right time. It's is in my to explore places list

Sharing links to few detailed blog posts on Hirebhaskar Dam :

Last edited by Klub Class : 19th October 2017 at 21:23. Reason: Missed mobike008's query
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
You guys are different breed altogether!!

Nice to see monsoon pictures of my native . Yes I'm from Sagar/Shimoga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Some very beautiful pictures of this very special place
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
If your plan is to enjoy the ride, then I would surely recommend BLORE-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-TARIKERE-SHIMOGA-SAGAR as suggested by srivatsahg.
Planning a ride with a few folks from bangalore to nittur hanging bridge. Would the following route be okay? How are the roads?
Bangalore-chikmagalur-thirthahalli-nittur

https://goo.gl/maps/P4TdUqQXnXr

Concerned about the roads after chikmagalur onto thirthahalli and beyond. Feedback?

Last edited by ampere : 30th December 2017 at 13:33. Reason: compacted the post
Old 27th November 2017, 20:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Planning a ride with a few folks from bangalore to nittur hanging bridge. Would the following route be okay? How are the roads?
Are you open to an alternative route to Nittur?

If so, this post might be useful.
Old 27th November 2017, 20:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Are you open to an alternative route to Nittur?

If so, this post might be useful.
Taking the route via Davangere on the way back, yes.

Just looking at the onward journey, and now it looks like we will stick to tarikere and shivamogga by the looks of it.

Many thanks for popping in with that post here, was super helpful.
Old 11th December 2017, 12:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Brilliant travelogue and clicks. Thought I'll chip in few points regarding Davangere
Thank you for the Benne Dosa places and Madike, will definitely try them during our next visit.

Quote:
If you're into old temples, these temples will be of interest
These are some really awesome places, might plan few of our rides/drives soon based on your recommendation.

Last edited by ampere : 11th December 2017 at 12:39. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
nandita_bayan21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 13:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
If you're into old temples, these temples will be of interest :
  • Sri Anjaneya Swamy Temple built almost 800 years back. Less than a km detour from Shamanur Exit on NH4
  • 12th Century Basaveshwara Temple, Anekonda, Davangere. Around 7 km from the Shamanur Exit. Sharing few pictures I clicked recently :
Decided to solo ride down to only both these temples on a Sunday a few weeks back. Fantastic find, loved these two temples. I was the only one around in the Basaveshwara temple, and the pujari came by opened up the place for me and we chatted for a while. Very interesting history and architecture.

The Anjaneya temple was perfectly divine. I enjoyed myself
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 02:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post

There are other alternatives to reach Sagar each beautiful and special in their own way
  1. via NH-206: BLORE-TUMKUR-TIPTUR-GUBBI-ARSIKERE-SHIMOGA-SAGAR.
  2. via NH48 : BLORE-CHANNARAYANAPATNA-ARSIKERE-SHIMOGA-SAGAR
  3. via NH4 : BLORE-CHITRADURGA-HOLALKERE-CHANNAGIRI-SHIMOGA-SAGAR
  4. via NH4 : BLORE-CHITRADURGA-DAVANGERE-RANEBENNUR-HAVERI-SIRSI-SAGAR
I took option #3 via HOLALKERE-CHANNAGIRI on 22nd Dec 2017 and I would suggest everyone against it. Surface of the road is very rough. I returned using Option #4 via SIRSI-HAVERI... seems longer but still better than #3.

There was hardly any water in Jog Falls this time of the year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks