Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2017, 09:38   #1
BHPian

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam

Ever since the proposed Athirappally Power Project began to make news, I wanted to visit the waterfall before it got destroyed by human greed. The urge intensified when I saw a photo a few months back showing the waterfall in all its glory during the peak monsoon. However, I got busy with one thing and the other, and the trip kept getting postponed until last week when I made up my mind to visit it before the month ended.

The initial plan was to take a train to Thrissur and stay overnight at my friend's house and start early in the morning in his car to the waterfall so that we will have enough time to drive till Sholayar Dam or Malakkapara and return (the Vazhachaal forest checkpost closes at 6 pm). However, my friend had a few modifications to the plan and the day unfolded a bit differently.

On the day prior, I took the Kerala Express from Varkala to Thrissur.

A goods train at Varkala station. The poor thing arrived first, but had to wait for Kerala Express to pass:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-hy4autd.jpg

Kerala Express (TVC-NDLS):
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-z78gfel.jpg

Edava-Nadayara Lake:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-krozava.jpg

Munroe Island:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-ysl3jvl.jpg

Kallada River:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-cg9chry.jpg

Cochin airport's solar farm:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-zwmdhff.jpg

The train arrived just 30 minutes late at Thrissur, which is an achievement considering the ongoing track maintenance throughout Kerala.

My friend was waiting for me at the station and took me to a restaurant to have tea and "snacks." He took me to Sulaimani 168.

Irachi pottas (meat filling):
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-gmzzjiw.jpg

Aanachavitti (rice balls in chicken gravy):
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-qcuxtl0.jpg

Idukki gold (mint tea):
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-r8btaow.jpg

While laying out my plan, my friend insisted that we visit Asurankundu Dam (GPS: 10.684984, 76.294875), which is near his house and assured me it was worth the time spent. Hence visiting that dam became the first thing to do in the morning.

I had not heard of such a dam before and it turned out to be a relatively small dam inside Vazhani Wildlife Sanctuary with almost no security, no tourist facilities, and needing no tickets to enter. On the downside though, it appears to be a favorite drinking spot. We arrived at 8:30, and it was devoid of any humans. The security cabin was empty; no tourists; just peace and quiet.

The road leading to the dam:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0001.jpg

I spotted a Grey Jungle Fowl couple, but could not photograph them. Also spotted a large male spotted deer, but he spotted us first and made good his escape before I could "shoot" it.

The first intruders of the day:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002a.jpg

There were a lot of birds, but my equipment was inadequate to shoot most of them.

Little cormorants and a couple of Red-wattled lapwings:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002b.jpg

Little cormorants in flight:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002c.jpg

Red-wattled lapwing in flight:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-gukl04h.jpg

A White-browed wagtail:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002d.jpg

Green bee-eaters, common kingfisher, and little cormorants:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002e.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002f.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002g.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002h.jpg

A Spotted dove:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002i.jpg

Common Kingfisher:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002l.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002j.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0002k.jpg

The reservoir:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0003.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0004.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0005.jpg

Our steed:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0005a.jpg

We spent an hour there and returned to my friend's house by 9:30.

Paddy fields en route:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0005b.jpg

The plan was to have a quick breakfast and start our drive to Athirappally by 10.
darklord is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 16:55   #2
BHPian

re: A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam

"No plan survives first contact."

After a supposed 10-minute chore stretched to 2 hours, we were able to leave only by 12 noon. Thrissur-Athirappally distance is about 60 km. We did not encounter any traffic bottlenecks and after a leisurely drive, reached Athirappally by about 2 p.m. Since it was noon time and to get to the top of Athirappally involves a bit of walking, we decided to have a dekko from the roadside viewpoint and visit properly during the return drive.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0007.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0008.jpg

The flow has decreased considerably compared to what was in the photo that prompted this trip.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0006.jpg

Disappointed, we drove onward to Vazhachaal waterfalls.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image008c.jpg

The depleted Charpa waterfalls between Athirappally and Vazhachaal:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image008a.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image008b.jpg

We reached Vazhachaal by 2:30. Tickets cost 30 for adults, 20 for car, and 20 for camera. Ticket counters are present at both Athirappally and Vazhachaal, and the issued tickets are valid for both places, so you need to buy ticket from one place only. The counters are open from 8 am to 5 pm.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0009.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0009a.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0010.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0011.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0012.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0013.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0014.jpg

A small video:

There is also a herbal medicine garden, but we skipped it due to time constraints.

Right in front of the gate is the Vaazhachal checkpost that regulates the onward journey through the Chalakkudi-Valparai-Pollachi road. On talking with the guards, they said that Sholayar Dam is 60 km away and that the checkpost closes at 6. So we dropped the idea to drive till Sholayar and settled with Peringalkuthu dam, which is 8 km away from the checkpost. We entered our details and was given an hour to return. We started to drive towards Peringalkuthu dam.
darklord is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 22:34   #3
BHPian

re: A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam

Just across the checkpost is a huge parking ground and a few stalls selling forest products etc. From there on, traffic is sparse, but some places the roads are narrow, so low slung cars need to be careful while giving way.

A bridge across the river:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0014a.jpg

Drive carefully:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0014b.jpg

Sambar deer:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0015a.jpg

Beautiful road:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0015b.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0018a.jpg

Attention:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0018.jpg

A few km after the bridge, a road forks into the powerhouse. We mistook it for the dam road and had to turn around after asking at a forest product stall.

The intruding animal:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0019.jpg

Don't get into the river, don't litter:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0019a.jpg

Another km later, Poringalkuthu junction comes up. A road forks into the dam site and an arch announces it. There is a KSEB ticket counter from where one has to obtain tickets for both man and machine. Although there are boards announcing boating, it is not operational anymore.

A view en route the dam:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0020.jpg

Large cameras are not allowed inside the dam; however, mobile photography is okay. You are not allowed to enter the top of the dam either.

The rains were less in the region and the dam was almost empty; however, the guards said the Sholayar Dam upstream had more water.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0021.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0022.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0023.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0025.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0026.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0027.jpg

I reckon it would have been a great place for boating and wildlife spotting, would have been a source of income for KSEB as well. Hope they restart the boating soon.

Nilgiri Langur:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0028.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0029.jpg

Parked? Abandoned?
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030.jpg

After spending about 10 minutes, we returned. We have to report back at Vazhachaal checkpost by 4.
darklord is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 15:57   #4
BHPian

The loss of time earlier in the day is now catching up with us. To get to the top of Athirappally falls involves a bit of walking from the entrance on the main road (finding a parking spot itself might take time). To get to the bottom of the falls involves a further somewhat difficult trekking.

With the time limitation nagging us, we started our drive back from Poringalkuthu dam.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0029.jpg

We had a 2-second stop to click some pictures of the bridge and the river as seen from it.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030a.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030b.jpg

We reported back to Vazhachal checkpost with 5 minutes to spare, returned the pass and signed the register and moved on towards Athirappally falls.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030c.jpg

Even though most of the parking spots were occupied, we managed to find a spot fairly close the entrance itself. We showed the ticket that we had purchased earlier at Vazhachal and started to walk towards the top of the fall.

After sweating a bit in the humidity, we reached the top of the falls.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0030d.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0031.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0032.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0033a.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0034.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0035.jpg

Upstream, there are a few roped off parts of the river, away from the flow, for tourists to bathe.

Upstream:

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0036.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0036a.jpg

There was a guard in the guard hut and she informed that the trek to the base of the falls will take about 10 mins. Hence we decided to abandon the plan as it was already 4:40. We returned after a last click from the top.

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0036b.jpg

Just outside the entrance, there is a restaurant, Cinnamon Food Court, which had excellent views of the falls. The cost of the view is realized in the food bill though.

From the ground floor:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0037.jpg

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0038.jpg

Top floor had a better view:
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-image0039.jpg

Thus ended the trip. Some of my original objectives have not been met and a "correctional" trip needs to be made during another monsoon season.
darklord is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 09:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Thread moved to the Travelogues section. Thanks for sharing!
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Re: A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam

Wonderful pics which replenishes my memory of the recent visit to Athirapally. Time taken to go down to the waterfall is more than 10 minutes and coming back is altogether a different story. Weak hearted and not fit persons will struggle a lot. View from bottom is astounding and you have really missed it.

Not seen/heard of the dam next to the checkpost at Pollachi side.
dre@ms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 11:09   #7
BHPian

Re: A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam

Nice travelogue dark lord and excellent pictures too. I have never heard of Asurakundu dam before reading your post. BTW Athirapally- Valparai road is the best driving route in Kerala (probably in South India too) in my opinion. I have driven through this route multiple times over the last decade and every time it mesmerizes me with its sheer natural beauty. 4 months ago I have done a sole drive to Valparai and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sorry to hijack your thread but posting a few pictures taken with my phone camera.Please excuse the poor resolution of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-img20171130wa0023.jpg  

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-img20171130wa0024.jpg  

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-img20171130wa0029.jpg  

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-img20171130wa0027.jpg  

A drive to Asurankundu Dam, Athirappilly-Vazhachal Falls and Peringalkuthu Dam-img20171130wa0025.jpg  

DrANTO is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks