Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 15:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Kolkata -> Varanasi -> Delhi in my Dzire AMT

It was a real pleasure to read this travelogue and go through the series of pictures that you have uploaded here. I have done Pathankot-Dhanbad stretch umpteen number of times and mostly did the complete stretch solo but could never manage time to pen down the travelogue befitting the Team-BHP standards.

I recently drove from Dehradun to Tezpur and had the experience of Driving on Agra-Lucknow Expressway. I can not agree more with your observation on road safety standards and a civic sense of responsibility towards safe driving and lane discipline, especially on high speed expressways; more so because this expressway was(Probably is) still undergoing trial phase.

Reading your travelogue has made me feel like I was driving there myself.

In one of the pictures I noticed the tread pattern of your car tyres and I am curious if your car is running on Yokohama S-Drives???

Once again, a well jotted down travelogue.
cruising_rapid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 16:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread, Altimaed. For the benefit of readers here, I would request you to share your experience, positive or negative, with AMT gearbox. Because, we have a thread here running concurrently over Maruti AMT woes. Going by your thread, I'm sure you had no issues with AMT at any point during your trip. It's just as well, too, because Dzire diesel has good torque and therefore, I'm sure you experienced none of the issues which some of the Alto/Celerio AMT users had. Then again, it helps to get some feed back from actual user. I'm contemplating buying a Nexon or TUV300 AMT myself and needless to say your views would be much appreciated. And, I'm sure there are many out there like me weighing AMT options.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 11:28   #18
BHPian

Hey ALTIMAed !! Super Feat !! Kudos to you on your maiden trip to Delhi in your extremely well maintained Dzire AMT which is a looker in all aspects and stands out amidst the rest of the Dzire(s) in the city. Good to see that the trip was very well paced out and you kept the comfort factors in mind while planning the trip.

Now that the jinx has finally broken, I wish you many more such drives in the times to come and hope you are a part of one of our group drives as well.

Your travelogue made me nostalgic of my last drive back from Delhi with BHPian StallionAmit earlier in May 2017. Sharing a picture of Amit's Honda Civic here :
Kolkata -> Varanasi -> Delhi in my Dzire AMT-img_5354.jpg

Congratulations once again !
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 13:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising_rapid View Post

In one of the pictures I noticed the tread pattern of your car tyres and I am curious if your car is running on Yokohama S-Drives???

Once again, a well jotted down travelogue.
Rightly pointed out. my car runs on Yokohoma S Drives 205 / 55 mounted on the original alloy wheels. On the day of delivery, I replaced the stock tyres. With over sized tyres in place, the overall feel in terms of controlling the car has climbed several notches higher. Stability on YEW and ALE was just amazing.
Old 5th January 2018, 14:11   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Nice thread, Altimaed. For the benefit of readers here, I would request you to share your experience, positive or negative, with AMT gearbox. Because, we have a thread here running concurrently over Maruti AMT woes. Going by your thread, I'm sure you had no issues with AMT at any point during your trip. It's just as well, too, because Dzire diesel has good torque and therefore, I'm sure you experienced none of the issues which some of the Alto/Celerio AMT users had. Then again, it helps to get some feed back from actual user. I'm contemplating buying a Nexon or TUV300 AMT myself and needless to say your views would be much appreciated. And, I'm sure there are many out there like me weighing AMT options.
Sir, having driven automatic transmission vehicles in the Middle East (the entire range of Nissans (excluding the GTR), since I was working for a Nissan Retail Company), having been allotted Nissan Sunny (the only manual transmission car I used there), followed by Nissan Tiiida, Renault Safrane and Nissan Altima for my use, over the years, I honestly realized how comfortable an AT was, over an MT.

The Tiida and Safrane were the conventional torque converter box. People may tend agree to agree or not but when shifting from an MT to an AT (torque converter), one has to change ones driving style and it takes a couple of kms / weeks to perfectly make that gearbox work in harmony with the pressure applied by the right foot.

The very same thing applies when one moves to a CVT. Once has to learn the way the CVT responds to the right foot, which definitely is different as compared to a slush transmission.

When I repatriated to India in 2006, circumstances made me settle down at Kolkata (though I am from Delhi), I knew it was automatic for me. Also it had to be diesel as I intended to a lot of long distance travelling. On evaluating my usage pattern, I realized that I shall be driving bumper to bumper for 3 to 4 months and then that one long distance drive, which again froze the automatic intent.

We are a family of three, my wife, myself and my 3 and a half year old son. I am 6 feet one and a half inch tall with a built that shows I am a hard core foodie.

Went to the VW showroom to take a test drive of the Vento. Tried my level best to squeeze into driver's seat with some embarrassing body movements, managed but if I have to do this three to four times a day, not at all a pleasing experience. Loved the DSG (a first for me), loved the power, yes this is my car, but no, hang on, I have to come out of the driver's seat, which was again a coordinated body movement which could be avoided if I wanted to be in my comfort zone. I told the 'very enthusiastic sales person', this is the car for me provided I can get in and out of it comfortably, to which he replied 'Sir, once you buy the Vento, in a day or two, you shall develop the skill on how to enter and exit the car', I was like

Took three test drives of the Dzire AMT. I reiterate the fact here, one has to has to adapt to the way the AMT behaves. Getting in and out of the Dzire was a breeze. Price well within budget, MUL service backup, meets my usage requirement, took the plunge.

Apart from 'head nodding' during heaving acceleration, that only from gear 1 to 2 to 3 I have not seen any other disadvantage. In city driving, head nod is observed, but within acceptable limits. The only time I had to use the manual mode is when I was going uphill the downhill the Kailashgiri (Vizaq) road.

I have not yet taken my Dzire to the hills, so cannot comment on its behavior in those conditions.

Must mention, on a recent 325 kms round trip, for the first 150 kms the MID showed 29.2 kmpl.

Car purchase date 14th July 2016, done 22356 kms as on date.
Old 5th January 2018, 14:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post

Now that the jinx has finally broken, I wish you many more such drives in the times to come and hope you are a part of one of our group drives as well.

Congratulations once again !
AJ, 1986 to 2004, along with parents and sister we have done many a road trips in Ambassador and Contessa around Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, NCR etc. Those days, I used to drive exactly in the same way was most of us drive today 'shove the nose of the car in front to make the opposite side vehicle stop' specially on single tack roads. (Apologies for me saying this). Maybe with age, maybe with the training sessions that I have undertaken in the Middle East to obtain my driving licence, may be to the equivalent of Rs 80,000 that I spent on training classes and tests, my genes have been reprogrammed to be a safe driver rather than an aggressive one. Am pretty sure you would have realized the same during our drive to Bandel Church.

That said, I am always open to long distance driving and would love to join in even at the shortest of notice.

Your second Ladakh drive shall be my first, shall be more than happy to join in.
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:58   #22

Congratulations on this great trip. A well written travelogue and about a stretch where my commuting takes place in every 45 days. The AMT is a pleasure to drive on the highways and specifically in this stretch. Cheers.
Old 14th January 2020, 20:57   #23
BHPian

Kolkata to varanasi Route Query

I'm planning to travel to Agra from Kolkata on 8th Feb with first day night halt at Varanasi. Can any one update the latest condition of the NH. Google is showing 14 odd hours to cover the distance between Kolkata and Varanasi. If anyone can update about good petrol pumps and restaurants along the route, it would be helpful for me to plan my journey accordingly. Thanx in advance.
Old 14th January 2020, 22:52   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata to varanasi Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
I'm planning to travel to Agra from Kolkata on 8th Feb with first day night halt at Varanasi. Can any one update the latest condition of the NH. Google is showing 14 odd hours to cover the distance between Kolkata and Varanasi. If anyone can update about good petrol pumps and restaurants along the route, it would be helpful for me to plan my journey accordingly. Thanx in advance.
Please go through this thread NH2 (Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail) which will help you.

As of today, the diversion has started on the damaged bridge in Kaimur, although traffic jams over 50kms were reported in news. Kindly check before starting and also check alternate routes.
Old 15th January 2020, 20:42   #25
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to varanasi Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Please go through this thread NH2 (Delhi-Kolkata by Road | NH2 (now called NH19) in full detail) which will help you.

As of today, the diversion has started on the damaged bridge in Kaimur, although traffic jams over 50kms were reported in news. Kindly check before starting and also check alternate routes.

Thank you for your suggestion and the link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks