Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2018, 20:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Saddlesore ride: Bengaluru - Shirwal (near Pune) - Bengaluru

Congrats KK, it's a brilliant achievement, grit to even think of achieving something like this on Indian roads is absolutely commendable.

Wishing you many more kms of safe and fun driving.

If I even remotely consider doing something like this, I will take mountain dew "Kyunki Darr ke aage jeet hai"
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 09:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby28 View Post
First thing, congratulations on completing the ride, 1K miles (1,600 kms!) in 24 hours is a big, big deal, given the kind of road infrastructure, general highway traffic sense, and availability of reliable fuel stations (both in terms of fuel quality and correctly printed bills) we have here domestically

So three cheers to your effort, and your endurance!!
Thanks Abby28.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby28 View Post
Given that all three of you guyz were riding the Dominar, would you kindly comment on:

1) The reliability of the bike on triple digit speeds (specifically if it felt planted enough to inspire confidence at high speeds)..
2) The amount of vibrations seeping through, and if it made the drive any more tiring..
3) Any other bike-related issues (heating or otherwise) that you guyz faced...
4) Your average fuel efficiency, if it was different for this trip given the time limitation, and resultantly higher average speeds..

1. Bike is quite planted at triple digits, it is at its best in the range of 100 to 120, no fuss at all. I felt 130+ give you vibrating feel sometimes, but its nothing sort of frightening.

2. Covered above, its not considerable.

3. Mostly we all drove at good triple digit speeds wherever it was possible and continuous riding of at least 150+ kms at a stretch, but didn't feel like the bike was heating much or even I didn't feel the bike was stressed.

4. Its obvious that higher speed rides will reduce the avg. fuel efficiency. In this ride specifically, for covering 1619 kms I have burnt 63.55 ltrs of fuel which makes it 25.47 km/l, this is more of in the city avg. I get on regular commuting in Bengaluru traffic. In my previous ride, it was more relaxed at border line triple digit speeds, I had got close to 30 km/l.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
Its very nice to read your story. It reminded me of my saddle sore ride. I completed on my second attempt since I had to quit after 650km due to heavy unseasonal rains near Karad. You should have started your SS after 12:00 noon instead of 2:30AM. The last 5-6 hours of SS are most difficult and dangerous. It is advisable to spend those times during daylight.
Good to hear from you. We had not thought about beginning the ride during day light, after reading what you say, it makes more sense.

Quote:
In principle, this kind of rides should be done solo, group riding slows you down a lot.
I tend to agree with you. To be very specific to our ride, we were three of us, so the fuel time and the breaks you take increases with more number of people and also one has to wait for the others to join at each of the stops.

If I have to throw the numbers, we have spent ~ 7 hrs on re-fueling (8 times), breakfast, dinner and other breaks, considering our total time of 23 hrs & 20 mins, the riding time was 16 hrs & 20 mins.

Nevertheless, I don't think I would have attempted solo ride, it was good riding with the known riders.

Quote:
By the the way, my then roommate had done ss in 22 hrs 6 min in an R15 ( winter). I had done it in 22hrs 13 min in RE Desert storm ( done in summer 2013).
My RE Desert storm never recovered after that ride, thankfully this nudged me towards an worthy upgrade.
Oh Sooper, that's a very good timing for both of you

By the way, which bike you upgraded to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congrats KK, it's a brilliant achievement, grit to even think of achieving something like this on Indian roads is absolutely commendable.

Wishing you many more kms of safe and fun driving.

If I even remotely consider doing something like this, I will take mountain dew "Kyunki Darr ke aage jeet hai"
Thanks Aman.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 11:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Oh Sooper, that's a very good timing for both of you

By the way, which bike you upgraded to.

It may not sound much like a upgrade, but trust me Pulsar AS200 is faaaaar better than RE 500s for touring.
gauravanekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2018, 13:27   #19
BHPian

Hi KK,

congrats on completing the 1000 mile challenge.

Since google maps is showing you didn't exactly complete the 1000 miles/1600 km, why don't you check your location history in your android phone's google maps and see?

details of checking your location history can be found here: http://trendblog.net/cant-remember-l...-can-help-you/
ant_vas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks