Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 20:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mid-Atlantic USA on a Vintage Dual-Sport Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Amazing way to see a part of the world we normally see mostly through car windows. A life outside the usual tourist circuit of the bigger cities, wow! I so badly want to go see those couple of ferraris and the buick in your friend's garage in Knoxville.
Yes, the countryside really was a revelation for me, even after having lived 30 years of my life in that land. If you're ever heading towards Knoxville, let me know and I'll give Rich a heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
From your photos, love this thing about USA is their documentation of history. Recently there was lot of uproar over the Confederate flag and statues of icons who advocated slavery. The fact remains lot of people suffered due to slavery and reconciliation is the only way forward.
So true. And many continue to suffer broad effects of racism in general. A friend here was just telling me of the South African story recently (Truth and Reconciliation Commission) - amazing.

Re: the flag/statues, I learned long ago to not breach such subjects with certain of my southern cousins! In my youth I once mentioned something about the South losing the war to one of them, and his face turned red like a tomato and he, in no uncertain terms, corrected me through gritted teeth... (he was born up north but would lie to people and tell them his birthplace was Mobile, Alabama - deepest south, brother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
Thank you. A very interesting read. More interesting were the brilliant photograhs you posted . I am l am planning a slightly longer trip beginning of this summer and your post have given me lots of ideas.
Well, l'd love to read your own trip report if you're able. And if you do get to the Barber Museum, would love to see some photos from there, too. I think all mine were destroyed when my brother's basement flooded.
Old 15th February 2018, 20:33   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism
Well, l'd love to read your own trip report if you're able. And if you do get to the Barber Museum, would love to see some photos from there, too. I think all mine were destroyed when my brother's basement flooded.
My trip starts in New York, and I plan to drive all the way to Juneau, Alaska via St Louis, Yellowstone park, make my way up the Rockies into Banff Canada and the hit the Alaska highway. The trip will be close to 6000 miles. I plan to maintain a diary and hopefully post it on this forum later this year.

Interestingly, my son had unicycled his way from the top of Alaska down to Montana a couple of years back, and now I am driving on the same road to attend his wedding.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th February 2018 at 23:32. Reason: Quote fixed. Post fixed.
Old 16th February 2018, 09:20   #18
BHPian

@ringoism: that's one hell of an adventure you had. thanks so much for posting those beautiful pictures. its refreshing to see the real America.

its experiences like these that truly make the character of a person. hat tip to you my friend. keep up the incredible journeys and congratulations on the trip once again.
Old 17th February 2018, 22:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful trip with some nice pics. Yeah the deep south. It's well, complicated. One thing I can never get over is the number of guns owned - sadly, a reminder after the shooting recently. I want to tour the South soon - as soon as I land a motorcycle.

EDIT - thanks for reminding me about the Motorsports museum! Wow, I totally forgot about that - need to visit!

Last edited by naveenroy : 17th February 2018 at 22:09.
Old 27th February 2018, 18:09   #20
BANNED

MAN! I'm super jealous of you! If you'd toured on a 2018 BMW R1200GS it wouldn't have bothered me but on the DR especially a pre LC is nothing but WOW!

Note to self, need to find a means of exploring the rest of the world before I'm physically incapable of doing so!
Old 7th March 2018, 11:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
Interestingly, my son had unicycled his way from the top of Alaska down to Montana a couple of years back, and now I am driving on the same road to attend his wedding.
Re: your son, now THAT's a trip I'd love to read about! ...And some people would think the DR is excessively minimalist! Unbelievable/amazing.

And have a great time yourself, both at the wedding and on-road.

-Eric
Old 7th March 2018, 11:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr20de View Post
its experiences like these that truly make the character of a person.
So true. Really presses you beyond what's comfortable, and assuming you survive it, you emerge more confident - and I do not necessarily mean in oneself.

Even apart from epic journeys there are opportunities. When I used to live in a big U.S. metro, I realized that I needed to drive through the ghettos (known as the "badlands" in that place/time, with almost daily murders, etc) every month or so, in order to avoid living in fear/dread of those neighborhoods and their inhabitants.

-Eric

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks