Team-BHP - Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/196367-preface-puri-rambha-odisha.html)

In Bengal, it is hard to find a traveler who is not done with DIPU DA. Well for people who does not know the concept of (DIPU DA – DI for Digha, PU for Puri and DA for Darjeeling). I am no exception to it and to join in the main stream, I paid a third visit to Puri.

Though the picture was same old one but still I painted it with different colors to make it more appealing.

My wife was back after a month and a half from Sri-Lanka and my mom was feeling enthusiastic and thus it called for this family outing.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-rambha_puri.jpg

DAY 01 (Kolkata to Puri):

Road to Puri from Kolkata is undoubtedly smooth, nothing new to mention and it took me short 8 and half hrs. I hopped into the city by around 3:30PM in the evening and spent another hour to check into a hotel and get refreshed. The beach is now over crowded with hawkers and blinding lights of the bulbs.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3882.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3906.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3920.jpg
Some random snaps on the highway break

No matter how many times it has been to Puri, how can my mom do away with paying homage to the Jagannath Temple? She was busy with her religious customs and I played my fingers on my camera. On the way walking back towards the beach, I took the shortcut through Swargadwar, the cremation or burning ground. Swargadwar has a history of its own kind and everyone who has been to Puri knows it well. In the darkness of night the dead slept for eternity.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3556.jpg
View from out hotel

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3568.jpg
View from out hotel

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3576.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3580.jpg
Beach side stalls at evening

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3585.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3586.jpg
The famous sweet - Khaja

I am not going into the nitty-gritty of the concept of immortality associated with Swargadwar as I am myself not clear about that (Refer Wikipedia). All I understand about the difference is “alive or dead”.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3597.jpg
Swargadwar

Getting Bengali dishes with fish (Macher Jholbhat) is no big deal in this area so I was quite pleased from the dinner aspect and so was my father. All shops closed one by one and the blinding lights became dim when we sat at the beach to inhale the gusting breeze.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3944.jpg
beach walk after dinner

To be continued ...

DAY 02 (Puri - Konark - Rambha):

From Puri we had to leave early because the checkout time of the hotel was early morning. The beach was chaotic and flooded with fish, pearls and shankha.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3601.jpg
Puri beach at morning

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3606.jpg
Puri beach at morning

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3608.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3956.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3961.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3616.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3618.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3622.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_3984.jpg
Some random snaps at the morning before leaving Puri

Traveling along the beach, we stopped at Chandrabhaga, which is just opposite to a dense forest.From my point of view the road from Puri to Konark is one of the beautiful coastal road in India. From there we reached the Konark Sun Temple for breakfast. Sun temple is a mysterious structure and requires great understanding of geographical phenomena.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3624.jpg
Road beside Chandrabhaga beach

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3628.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3645.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3647.jpg
Breakfast near Konark

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3655.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3659.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3660.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3661.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3667.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3673.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3682.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_36822.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3684.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3688.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3695.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3696.jpg
Konark Sun Temple

To be continued ...

Day 02 continued ...

After having a look at the chariot of the Sun we drove to Rambha. The road to Rambha was like travelling through a smooth tunnel of trees. Alongside the road there were people selling green coconuts on their bicycles. Marshy lands seemed to lay their hands for us to pass by.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3701.jpg
Driving through the tree tunnel while returning from Konark

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3705.jpg
Scenic New Jagannath road

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3709.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4088.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4089.jpg
Bolero posing at New Jagannath road

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4096.jpg
Another tree tunnel at New Jagannath road

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4098.jpg
From a different angle

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4107.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4111.jpg
We enjoyed the fresh green-coconut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui5...V6X-Dln-6jhpPO

Puri to Rambha via New Jagannath Road

To be continued ...

Day to Continued (Rambha):

By lunch time we were at Panthaniwas Rambha. For a non-vegetarian there are scrumptious cuisines. There are a number of islands in Rambha on the Chilka lake. We booked a private boat and covered four islands only namely breakfast island, bird island, cave island and the honeymoon island. Breakfast Island is a small house like structure in the middle of the lake. The boat galloped like a horse on the lake across the huddle like ripples.The copious water of the lake slashed against the boat and the splashes sopped our clothes. I have no idea where has the name come from. Next the bird island has an artificial dinosaur and is the place to find numerous caves behind it. We did not checkout the cave as the boat man said that it will be getting dark. The sun was now mammoth and crimson in color. Lastly we hopped to the honeymoon island which is secluded from the other islands and hence the name was given so.There were smoothed round white rocks which looked like enlarged pebbles.Dolphins are also spotted in Chilka but not on this side of the lake. These islands are famous for immigrating birds and are hot spot among the bird photographers. January end is the best time for watching birds.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3711.jpg
Patnhanivas Rambha

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3719.jpg
Patnhanivas Rambha

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3726.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3745.jpg
My Sister and Dad

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3756.jpg
Me

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3762.jpg
me and Dad

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3780.jpg
My wife

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3801.jpg
On the way to bird's Island

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3819.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3842.jpg
Bird's Island

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3879.jpg
Breakfast Island

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3898.jpg
My Dad near the cave

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3913.jpg
Returning to Hotel from multiple Island visit

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-img_4019.jpg
Mom taking rest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNn...6jhpPO&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNt...6jhpPO&index=3

Boat Ride Videos

The boat moored at the berth which had a bridge connecting to our hotel back gate. We sat at the fenced view point to witness the sun set. The diminishing red circle slowly scuppered in the lake stealing the dusk along with it. I knew I had to greet good morning to Mr Sun at dawn the next day.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3959.jpg
Sunset from the hotel

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3946.jpg
Evening view of the lake. Sorry for bad photography stupid:

To be continued ...

Day 3 (Rambha to Puri Back):

Early morning with the chirping of the birds, I and my sister made our move to the view point and that first rays of the sun vivified our face. The mountains at the backside stood in the way of the gusting winds making them roar. It was not chilling but the mist air was cool and soothing. The murkiness slowly started glowing up as the sun made its appearance upon the horizon.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3980.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_3987.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4003.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4011.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4032.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4046.jpg
Some random snaps of Sunrise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmVu...V6X-Dln-6jhpPO

Yesterday night I could not capture the garden of the hotel but in the morning I took the perk of the clear blue sky to ensnare the vivid colors of plants and flowers. A flock of ducks quacked at their master from their cage to set them free.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4054.jpg
View from the balcony with a cup of tea

My sojourn in Rambha was culminating now. The morning was pleasant here but we are nomads and have to find a new place to sojourn.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4060.jpg
Way to Rambha

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4063.jpg
NH16 (Returning from Rambha)

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4077.jpg
NH16 (Returning from Rambha)

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4080.jpg
Returning from Rambha

To be continued ...

:OT This was my 3rd trip to Chilka, Previously I visited Manglajudi and Barkul in two different bike trips. Comparing the places, for a snug stay and beautiful sunrise Rambha is the best place, however for camping, bird watching and staying in the lap of nature Manglajudi is really awesome.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7049.jpg
Barkul, Chilka-2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7071.jpg
Barkul, Chilka-2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7073.jpg
Barkul, Chilka-2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6958.jpg
Barkul, Chilka-2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6962.jpg
During Barkul Boat Ride, Chilka -2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6964.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6966.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6975.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-photo2785_001_001.jpg
During boat ride at Barkul, Chilka

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7016.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7027.jpg
Our Ride at Barkul, Chilka - 2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7031.jpg
Zoomed Image of Indian Navy Camp

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7035.jpg
Kalijai Island, Chilka - 2011

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-photo2798_001_001.jpg
Kalijai Island

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6998.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn6999.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7001.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7007.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7080.jpg
Way to Manglajudi

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7113.jpg
Manglajudi

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7116.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-dscn7127.jpg
Couple of snaps from bike ride to Manglajudi on the same year 2011.

Some random snaps of Chilka and Manglajudi (year 2011)

To be continued ...

Day 3 continued ...

From Rambha we had to come back to Puri because there was a primeval activity to be completed. The guess is quite obvious, bathing in the sea. I stayed back at the beach to capture the bewilderment of my family behind the lens.

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4138.jpg

Preface to Puri and Rambha, Odisha-tkd_4156.jpg
Some image of Puri beach

My bride for my colleagues was famous Khaja of Puri for managing my work for these days. From Puri we could have returned back to Kolkata but my cousin sister insisted us to pay a visit at her place in Cuttack. So the next course was Cuttack after spending couple of hours at Nandan Kanan.

Thank You:)
PointZero

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Travelogues Section. Thanks for sharing!

Nice pics PointZero! Thanks for sharing. Being from Odisha myself, I certainly have an emotional connection and pride in the beauty of Puri, Konark and Chilika.

I had recently been to the Chandrabhaga beach as part of a beach-cleaning CSR activity from our office and the Marine drive is definitely beautiful and awesome to drive on.

Your pics have made me want to visit Chilika again. I'll surely plan that trip once my new car is delivered! :D

FrodoOfTheShire,

Congratulation for your new upcoming car and wish you many much miles on the new car.

Chika has different beauty in different side. Which side you are planing to visit ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire (Post 4365074)
Nice pics PointZero! Thanks for sharing. Being from Odisha myself, I certainly have an emotional connection and pride in the beauty of Puri, Konark and Chilika.

I had recently been to the Chandrabhaga beach as part of a beach-cleaning CSR activity from our office and the Marine drive is definitely beautiful and awesome to drive on.

Your pics have made me want to visit Chilika again. I'll surely plan that trip once my new car is delivered! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointZero (Post 4364193)
DAY 02 (Puri - Konark - Rambha):

From Puri we had to leave early because the checkout time of the hotel was early morning. The beach was chaotic and flooded with fish, pearls and shankha.

Traveling along the beach, we stopped at Chandrabhaga, which is just opposite to a dense forest.From my point of view the road from Puri to Konark is one of the beautiful coastal road in India. From there we reached the Konark Sun Temple for breakfast. Sun temple is a mysterious structure and requires great understanding of geographical phenomena.
[/b]

That was a very well written travelogue. I will be passing thru Chilka-Puri-Konark during my onward drive to Bhutan towards the end of this month.
I have few questions if you can help me pl:

How
  1. is the road condition from Puri to Konark and how much time does it take to cover?
  2. How is the road condition of the New Jaganath road? Can I do that in my sedan (Verna)
  3. Since this is our first visit to Orissa, can you guide where to hire the boat for visiting Chilka lake? How much do they charge for the boat ride?
  4. From Konark, I will be driving onward to Kharagpur. I understand this route is in good condition?
Thanks once again

Hi Sandy28,

Please see my comments inline.

Thanks & regards -
PointZero

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy28 (Post 4366414)
That was a very well written travelogue. I will be passing thru Chilka-Puri-Konark during my onward drive to Bhutan towards the end of this month.
I have few questions if you can help me pl:

How
  1. is the road condition from Puri to Konark and how much time does it take to cover?
[PointZero]: The road condition is very good and last couple of KMs are scenic too. Typically it should not take more than 45-50 min drive time to reach Konark.

1. How is the road condition of the New Jaganath road? Can I do that in my sedan (Verna)
[PointZero]: Initial 2-3 KM is little crowded and road condition is average. After that the entire stretch is nice and I believe you will not face any issue with Verna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wui5...V6X-Dln-6jhpPO

1. Since this is our first visit to Orissa, can you guide where to hire the boat for visiting Chilka lake? How much do they charge for the boat ride?
[PointZero]: I do not have any contact of Barkul right now. For Rambha you can contact Mr. Babu or his twin brother (+91 99327 26378). Both of them are very nice. We took a boat for 1100/- for four island and capacity of 10 people. For the same ride Panthanivas charge for 1800/- and finally pay 1200/- to these people for the same ride :).

1. From Konark, I will be driving onward to Kharagpur. I understand this route is in good condition?
[PointZero]: Yes, the road is in good condition.

Thanks once again

Quote:

Originally Posted by PointZero (Post 4366601)
Hi Sandy28,

Please see my comments inline.

Thanks & regards -
PointZero

Thanks PointZero for the responses and sharing the video. That road really looks excellent especially the long stretches of trees on either side (totally agree with your description of a 'tunnel'). Thanks again

Planning a family holiday - Stay at Puri and visit Jaganath temple, Konark Temple and plan a visit to Chilka lake. Is that the right thing to do? Any references for good beach resorts along that coast?

Hi Neel,

Try http://www.lotusresorthotels.com/eco-resort-konark/ for stay in Konark and plan to visit Puri.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neel (Post 4450467)
Planning a family holiday - Stay at Puri and visit Jaganath temple, Konark Temple and plan a visit to Chilka lake. Is that the right thing to do? Any references for good beach resorts along that coast?