Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 11:42   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Road - A Petrolhead group ride log - Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Nice travelogue! Evoked good memories for myself also! I did this sometime in 2011 (in car). Are the roads to Dhanushkodi there till the end ? ie, the tip of the land ? In 2011, we had to take a 4WD jeep to cover the last 3/4 Kms, which itself was quite an experience, driving thru the sands and beaches and the ruins. I enjoyed that drive also - though bone jarring! :-)

Is that stretch still available ? (I mean ,the ones thru the sand/beaches ?)
You were lucky to experience it. Unfortunately - that experience is long gone, I am afraid. Government extended the road till Land's end, and I believe it was opened to the public since early 2017.

However - Its still a beauty IMO, as the road itself is a beauty with the ocean on either sides of it. However, as seen in the video - almost the entire stretch of land (whats left of it between the two oceans) is occupied by the road itself at most places.
Quote:
Great that you guys could cover 1K+ KM in couple of days in a bike!

With a niggling back ache, I can't even dream of this!
Even I had back problems (though not acute). Realized that core exercises are the best way out of it - for touring on bikes. Hope you have tried it?

Versys helps too. Had to take a day off due to back pain on a Monday due to a sore back (after some heavy material lifting went wrong) and ended up riding 1600 kms on the next Thursday with pain spray and killers in the bag, but not used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Always a pleasure to read your travelogues! This is a fabulous destination. I wish they build a road all the way to Sri Lanka!
Thank you.

If mobiles can catch signals from towers in Sri Lanka, a bridge could very well be possible. International relations? Not so sure about that, although TN especially has good relations with Lanka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni246 View Post
Splendid review Sujai, which comes at the right time as a blessing for us.
I have finally planned to visit Madurai & Rameshwaram (a trip pending since years) end of this month for the Easter weekend with my wife.
My plan is Day 1 overnight stay at Madurai and Day 2 & 3 at Rameshwaram including return trip to either Coimbatore (visit family) or back to Bangalore.

Have couple of questions for You:
  • Is it recommended not to take the Madurai - Rameswaram stretch due to the road works?
  • The road to Dhanushkodi / Sangamam is it open for all kind of pvt vehicles? Also is car parking available at the tip?
    I heard about 4X4 vehicles taking you across the beaches to the old ghost town, is this road a similar parallel stretch?

Thanks in advance
Thank you.

1. Madurai - Rameshwaram stretch is pretty much usable. Dont get me wrong. Issues we faced were - 1. Very annoyingly slow average pace (We covered Bangalore to Madurai in 6 hours, and the next 100 kms took almost 3 plus!) 2. As usual, Madurai and nearby places are HOT and this again hits you when you are on bikes. 3. Lack of proper places / facilities to take a break. 4. GPS taking us through all sort of broken tarmac inside Madurai. Had my heart stop beating at one particular place where it was full slush and a ditch on either sides. and 5. Four lane traffic diversions were a mess - there were places were four lanes had traffic in all four directions as per each persons wish - makes you feel vulnerable, specially on bikes.

Possibly wouldn't have noticed much if were in a car. Infact, in a car - Trichy route might take more time since its 2 lane roads throughout, where the average speed of a bike might be more.

2. Yes. The road is open from 6AM to 6PM, even to buses. Visit early if its a holiday peace of mind is a priority. You can see the parking facility and the end of the road in the video.

3. Not parallel, but this is the new way to reach Dhanushkodi. The road was opened sometime last year. The checkpost seen in the video (especially in the end on the return leg (before the pier) used to be the last point of road transportation till not too long ago.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th March 2018 at 11:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 11:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

A nice travelogue with amazing photographs.

One of my bad habits is when I think of a trip or drive I think only about the north (The Himalayas). Except for goa, I have completely ignored places south of Maharashtra. I think your travelogue will bring a big change in my thought process. Thanks for Sharing those amazing photographs.
Old 19th March 2018, 15:31   #18
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post

And I can see that Ragu's Ninja 650 is having the air cushion to his seat if am not wrong. Does it really help? I have got the fego float which I ordered for the trip that I was planning to go. But it was delivered only after a day of starting my trip. So I haven't tested it yet. I think I need to plan a trip just for testing it
The air cushion seat you see on my bike is from rideonair, with the stock seat I could barely do 250kms previously and the bum was all gone. With rideonair I can go on and on. I once did 1100kms ride in a single day and I was absolutely fine. Only problem is it doesn't look good.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 15:31   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratjyo View Post
Nice travelogue. The roads in the pics are making me to go there right away. Hopefully will do this trip by this year.

And I can see that Ragu's Ninja 650 is having the air cushion to his seat if am not wrong. Does it really help? I have got the fego float which I ordered for the trip that I was planning to go. But it was delivered only after a day of starting my trip. So I haven't tested it yet. I think I need to plan a trip just for testing it
Thank you.

Yes. His vehicle has the Ride On Air cushion and he never takes it off. As per him, it gives a much softer rider and almost no jerks to the spine. Helps keep the seat area cooler during longer days at the saddle too.

One disadvantage I personally felt is that there is a certain disconnect between the rider and the motorcycle, and it takes time to get used to the new saddle - specially during cornering.

Gel seats are another alternative worth looking into - and doesn't have this particular disadvantage - although for this the OEM seat needs to be altered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
No the sand stretch has been tarred few years back and you can ride upto the tip.That particular stretch of 5 or 6 Kms is one of the best ive driven and will go there again just for the sunrise at Dhanushkodi.

Also seeing the train at the pamban bridge is like a man walking on a tightrope only difference the train weighing few 100 tonnes and carrying 100's of people in it.

One of the few pics clicked while returning from Dhanushkodi. We had stopped to collect the super soft sand my mom wanted. The place was so beautiful and my daughter enjoyed it to an extent we forgot to click pictures of sunrise nor the beach

Hope you got a clear sunset view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
A nice travelogue with amazing photographs.

One of my bad habits is when I think of a trip or drive I think only about the north (The Himalayas). Except for goa, I have completely ignored places south of Maharashtra. I think your travelogue will bring a big change in my thought process. Thanks for Sharing those amazing photographs.
Isn't it absolutely amazing that you to decide between both - being located almost at the center of the nation! I have postponed all my longer rides up north to mostly next year onwards, for this year it is financially tighter considering the loan on the Versys.

Either ways, India is so diverse that every region has something different to offer.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 16:21   #20
BHPian

Re: The Road - A Petrolhead group bike trip log - Rameshwaram & Dhanushkodi

Loved the travelogue! It's been many years since I rode a bike but your pictures bought back many fond memories of riding my 1st gen pulsar 150 on the ECR towards Pondicherry as the sun set!

Is it just the photo or is that bus awfully close to your handlebars?

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th March 2018 at 15:06. Reason: Reducing image size.
Lone Ranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:10   #21
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Road - A Petrolhead group bike trip log - Rameshwaram & Dhanushkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Loved the travelogue! It's been many years since I rode a bike but your pictures bought back many fond memories of riding my 1st gen pulsar 150 on the ECR towards Pondicherry as the sun set!
Thank you.

I lived in Chennai for more than seven years and have so many fond memories of ECR too - both of cars and bikes. And Pondicherry brings back so many memories of friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Is it just the photo or is that bus awfully close to your handlebars?
The wide angle lens of most action cameras makes the nearby objects appear closer than it is.

With the Versys - I usually leave a conservative gap unless under emergency situations because its a heavy machine and extremely difficult to recover once it goes off balance at slow speeds.

Here I had stopped even though there was almost enough space to squeeze through, because bus drivers usually come carelessly right when starting off from stops.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th March 2018 at 18:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 18:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
You were lucky to experience it. Unfortunately - that experience is long gone, I am afraid. Government extended the road till Land's end, and I believe it was opened to the public since early 2017.
Aww.. that's bad. I thought both were there - I mean the old track over the sand dunes as well as the new ones. I still remember that drive as it beat many thrills/rides at WonderLa! That drive was one crazy experience - the driver was pushing his old heap of a jeep to its extreme and we were nicely thrown about - almost like you were put in a washing machine! :-)

some pics of the ride - which we hired there - one sad looking jeep - rusted and worn out, but was still going strong, in spite of it being much absued
Attached Thumbnails
The Road - A Petrolhead group ride log - Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi-img_3326.jpg  

The Road - A Petrolhead group ride log - Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi-img_3396.jpg  

The Road - A Petrolhead group ride log - Rameswaram & Dhanushkodi-img_3410.jpg  

Last edited by haria : 19th March 2018 at 18:24.
haria is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 08:12   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That drive was one crazy experience - the driver was pushing his old heap of a jeep to its extreme and we were nicely thrown about - almost like you were put in a washing machine! :-)
Wow! Nice pic of the Jeep. Looks worn out, but still raring to go.

Wonder what would have happened to all these Jeeps and their drivers?
Old 20th March 2018, 12:05   #24
Senior - BHPian

Nice pictures and report.

I had visited Dhanuskodi a week before you did in my car.
Onwards was via Velankanni and return was the same route as yours via Trichy.

I had visited Dhanushkodi around 6 years ago and taken a ride on a 4wd Mahindra van to lands end which was way more scenic than what it is now.

My main intention this time was to drive on that arrow straight road and for some reason I just didn't feel like speeding although the road is perfect for it. It was 20 kms long with a slight kink in between.
Stopped in between for some shell shopping at those shops were the ruins are located .

Lands end wasn't crowded on my last visit since there was no road till there, but now it is a different story.
The road was opened around 7 months ago for traffic. The taxi drivers had created issues before that since they were loosing their livelihood. I didn't notice those 4wd Mahindra vans elsewhere in Rameshwaram either except for few parked where the road originally ended, to Dhanuskodi.

Last edited by tharian : 20th March 2018 at 12:07.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 15:49   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
My main intention this time was to drive on that arrow straight road and for some reason I just didn't feel like speeding although the road is perfect for it. It was 20 kms long with a slight kink in between.
Same for us too. Infact, 90% of the section was done with me standing up on the footpegs and just crusing along in the Versys - enjoying the cool breeze make its presence felt inside the riding jacket and just taking in the sights and sounds of the ocean on either sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Lands end wasn't crowded on my last visit since there was no road till there, but now it is a different story.
Yes. Better to visit early. We were at the checkpost at 6AM itself. By around 7, a couple of school buses arrived with kids on some vacation tour - so we backtracked a little to a more vacant space.
Old 20th March 2018, 22:23   #26
BHPian

Wonderfully narrated. One of the best parts of Bike ride is what happens at 2:20 of your video.
Although its a bit over 1100kms from Hyderabad but once the monsoon sets in it can be done with 19-20hrs drive. What happens post 5:07 is epic.
Since distance is farther for me the timing has to be perfect from Hyderabad. Dindigul biryani another very imperative reason to do that route. Some beautiful shots and those bikes I had been drooling at them for a long time.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep travelling and sharing such experiences.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2018, 08:46   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
Wonderfully narrated. One of the best parts of Bike ride is what happens at 2:20 of your video.
Although its a bit over 1100kms from Hyderabad but once the monsoon sets in it can be done with 19-20hrs drive. What happens post 5:07 is epic.
Since distance is farther for me the timing has to be perfect from Hyderabad. Dindigul biryani another very imperative reason to do that route. Some beautiful shots and those bikes I had been drooling at them for a long time.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep travelling and sharing such experiences.
Thank you. You are the first person to provide detailed feedback on the video in this thread. Much appreciated. Please feel free to update any negetives that you noticed as well.

I was starting to think if anyone noticed the video here at all, bit of an over-excitement for it being my first attempt.

From Hyderabad, you might need to break it up as an overnighter drive - or combine it with other locations in TN. Places like Ooty or Kodai will provide a totally different visual experience and will also help to split the journey quite evenly.

Not sure if Hyderabadi Biryani lovers will like the Dindigul flavour though. Chances are even slimmer that you'll like the Ambur flavour, being the other prominent biryani variety in TN.
Old 22nd March 2018, 10:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I was starting to think if anyone noticed the video here at all, bit of an over-excitement for it being my first attempt.
Oops! Mea Culpa! I was searching for the video in the thread - Missed it completely in the 1st read - and even was wondering where the link was!

Thanks to the browser on the phone, which positioned the page after the 1st pic, I missed it alltogether. Maybe you should look at re-positioning the link, some where else ?

Quote:
over-excitement for it being my first attempt.
Good stuff! I enjoyed the video - keep posting !
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 11:27   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks to the browser on the phone, which positioned the page after the 1st pic, I missed it alltogether. Maybe you should look at re-positioning the link, some where else ?
I was under the impression that it might probably get noticed first up. Anywhere in between and it probably would have been missed out while people scroll through pictures.

Looks like I was wrong.

Quote:
Good stuff! I enjoyed the video - keep posting !:
Thank you.

In that you can see the road till Land's end. On the return leg you can see the checkpost which used to the endpoint earlier during the 4*4 Jeep days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks