Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2022, 10:17   #61
HTC
BANNED

Re: Kambala: The ancient sport of buffalo racing

OT but wanted to share my thoughts.

Whats up with Kambala runners and six/eight packs?
For someone who has studied primary school in a boarding school attached to a tiger reserve, we had almost daily interactions with tribal 'soliga' people over there. They were short but pure muscular bodies. Since I was into athletics, I always admired their well built calf muscles. And when they were hired for manual labor like digging foundations etc, we used to cheer them for their muscle strength and biceps. Yeah, I know, school kids stuff and all. There are two things - one is genetics and second is their life style with zero junk food and hard work intertwined with daily chores.

Anecdote- Our PT master was national level volleyball player. He was very proud of his achievements. He wanted our school volleyball team to be the best in the district. He picked best fit guys, got approval for special diet for them, complete training and what not. No matter what, in our yearly friendly matches against tribal school children ( vivekananda girijana shale, BR hills), those short tribal kids with no extra training used to beat our team black and blue. Not just in volleyball but in all track and field events aswell. They used to come as underdogs and sweep all the medals
HTC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 17:05   #62
Team-BHP Support

Today there is Kambala in Bangalore...

Old 27th November 2023, 09:34   #63
Team-BHP Support

The announcer is speaking in Tulu, despite the location being Bangalore. That is because lot of the participants (jockeys, trainers, helpers) are not fluent in Kannada. Tulu is the official language of Kambala and Kola. Even the race buffaloes only understand Tulu.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th November 2023 at 09:35.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 10:39   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
https://Youtu.be/4Ad4RYp5YXQ

The announcer is speaking in Tulu, despite the location being Bangalore. That is because lot of the participants (jockeys, trainers, helpers) are not fluent in Kannada. Tulu is the official language of Kambala and Kola. Even the race buffaloes only understand Tulu.
Hope the buffaloes didnt have issues with altitude. Times could be higher
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Tulu is the official language of Kambala and Kola. Even the race buffaloes only understand Tulu.
Ever since Kanthara became a hit, interest in Tulunad and customs have peaked which is a good thing. Do you think relocating would take away the flavor of such events and make them more commercial? Palace grounds is not a paddy field. IMO, if you want to experience a tradition, better go there yourself.

Case in point. The carnival of goa was a local event with everyone participating until the corporates got involved and it lost its original charm. Each region can count one such pre and post commercialization story. Sorry to sound like a dud.

Last edited by srini1785 : 27th November 2023 at 10:56.
Old 27th November 2023, 14:29   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Do you think relocating would take away the flavor of such events and make them more commercial?
This is not a relocation. This Kambala was part of the Tulu Koota convention held in Bangalore for 3 days. I don't expect this to be a regular event. Bringing so many teams to Bangalore is not an easy affair. I doubt even the teams want to come to Bangalore frequently.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks