Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 08:02   #31
BHPian

Re: A leisurely romp around Himachal Pradesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssambyal1980 View Post
It feels really nice that our Spiti travelogue is a source of inspiration for the fellow BHPians. Even I derived the much needed inspiration to travel to Spiti in a sedan from an old travelogue by a BHPian who travelled in an Hyundai i10 some years ago. Here's the link to that travelogue (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...rip-spiti.html (A Hatchback and an epic 2000 kms road-trip to Spiti)) Wish you many many more miles of safe and pleasant drives.
Thank you. Isn't it great that travelogues inspire us to follow in the footsteps. Especially from star travellers like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
Your travelogue is short and yet filled with so much small bits of information which is missing in all other Spiti travelogues in the forum.

"Where the Dzire go, Excent can also go" - Agreed 100%
And I would like to add that if the Chandrataal road and Kunzum Pass was open at the time of your travel, your Excent would have forced you to take the road where the Dzire travelled.
Thank you for your kind words. Coming from an ace traveller who took an Eon through Batal - Gramphu, this is much treasured.

Honoured that two stellar BHPians whose travelogues inspired my drive, both visited this page.
Secretariat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 18:16   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Thank you. Isn't it great that travelogues inspire us to follow in the footsteps. Especially from star travellers like you.

Thank you for your kind words. Coming from an ace traveller who took an Eon through Batal - Gramphu, this is much treasured.

Honoured that two stellar BHPians whose travelogues inspired my drive, both visited this page.
Extremely humbled by your kind words. Couldn't agree more that each and every travelogue on Team BHP is a great source of first hand information and ultimately an inspiration for all the BHPians who wish to tread the uncharted territories. It has always been immensely joyful to share travel stories on Team BHP with avid travellers like you.

Best Regards
ssambyal1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2018, 01:27   #33
BHPian

Great thread packed with a lot of information, as you rightly said a trip to that part of the country can never get boring, neither the narration thats so great.
Thanks for sharing your experience, keep travelling.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:26   #34
BHPian

Himachal Expedition - Dec 25 to Jan 8

It has always been a dream to drive from Mumbai to Himachal and take an easy going vacation in the Himalayas. I have a Jeep Compass Diesel 4 X 2 and would like to avoid snow/icy drives. I do not have experience of driving in snow. I intend to park the car and take a cab wherever it might snow and don't want to go through the hassles of a snow chain.

1. What are some of the offbeat places I can explore with my own car?
2. Shall I explore the Shimla to Manali route or should I prefer Shimla to Dalhousie route? We HAVE to spend 2 nights in Shimla.
3. I was interested in Jibhi, Tirthan Valley and Nagar but was worried if snow would make any of the places not drivable.
4. Any recommended places to stay specially in the offbeat locations?

Looking forward to some suggestions from the fellow BHPians.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2021 at 17:30. Reason: JC - Jeep Compass
Old 15th November 2021, 14:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Himachal Expedition - Dec 25 to Jan 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
It has always been a dream to drive from Mumbai to Himachal and take an easy going vacation in the Himalayas. I have a JC Diesel 4 X 2 and would like to avoid snow/icy drives. I do not have experience of driving in snow. I intend to park the car and take a cab wherever it might snow and don't want to go through the hassles of a snow chain.

1. What are some of the offbeat places I can explore with my own car?
2. Shall I explore the Shimla to Manali route or should I prefer Shimla to Dalhousie route? We HAVE to spend 2 nights in Shimla.
3. I was interested in Jibhi, Tirthan Valley and Nagar but was worried if snow would make any of the places not drivable.
4. Any recommended places to stay specially in the offbeat locations?

Looking forward to some suggestions from the fellow BHPians.
Since you are spending two nights in Shimla and Want to Explore Jibhi/Tirthan Valley too, I would recommend that keep a tab on weather and stay in touch with me

You can drive to Jibhi/Tirthan/Naggar/Manali From Shimla, I would recommend this over Dalhousie. Jibhi/Tirthan etc do not generally get heavy snow, but still you need to keep a tab on weather then..

Since you will have two nights in Shimla, I can recommend a Day trip to Narkanda and back, and if by any chance Jalori Pass is open then, you would be able to cross Jalori pass on towards Jibhi, this route totally depends on the amount of snow in and around Jalori.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

You can drive to Jibhi/Tirthan/Naggar/Manali From Shimla, I would recommend this over Dalhousie. Jibhi/Tirthan etc do not generally get heavy snow, but still you need to keep a tab on weather then..

Since you will have two nights in Shimla, I can recommend a Day trip to Narkanda and back, and if by any chance Jalori Pass is open then, you would be able to cross Jalori pass on towards Jibhi, this route totally depends on the amount of snow in and around Jalori.
Thanks for your response. Here is my plan

Day 1 - Chandigarh to Mandi (Break)
Day 2 - Mandi to Manali
Day 3 - Manali
Day 4 - Manali
Day 5 - Manali
Day 6 - Manali to Jibhi
Day 7 - Jibhi
Day 8 - Jibhi to Tirthan Valley
Day 9 - Tirthan Valley
Day 10 - Tirthan Valley to Shimla (might take a break for 1 day in Mandi)
Day 11 - Shimla
Day 12 - Shimla to Chandigarh

We are travelling with a 2 year old and would like to avoid driving more than 6 hours a day. Want to avoid traffic and road closures if possible too.

Need help with following:

1. On Day 1, is there a better place to take a break than Mandi?

2. Tirthan Valley to Shimla is going via Kumarsain, the other option is to go via Mandi which is an hour longer. Which one should I prefer?

3. I will visit places near to Manali using local cabs, any recommendations for places to see? I want to have good food near the flowing water and/or snow.
abhatt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Here is my plan

Day 1 - Chandigarh to Mandi (Break)
Day 2 - Mandi to Manali
Day 3 - Manali
Unless you have specific reason to stop at Mandi, you can skip this stop and directly go to Manali in same day and hence save a night. Also, not sure what you plan to do at Manali but 4 days at Manali may not be needed. So you can perhaps add another spot in your plan.

Last edited by sunilch : 16th November 2021 at 20:57.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 16:17   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Unless you have specific reason to stop at Mandi, you can skip this stop and directly go to Manali in same day and hence save a night. Also, not sure what you plan to do at Manali but 4 days at Manali may not be needed. So you can perhaps add another spot in your plan.
@Secretariat
During October 2020 i drove from Ahmedabad to HP and back and spent 21 days there. But did not spend even a night at Manali. I am not saying that manali is not to be visited but 4 days. Seems a bit of overkill. On the other hand Tirthan Valley is beautiful. If you want details, you can read about it here:https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...l-pradesh.html (A drive to the Valley of the Gods - Kullu and Kangra in Himachal Pradesh)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks