Team-BHP - Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/207759-bison-chronicles-mist-rain-kumaon.html)

Friday morning. Was feeling restless. The heat and dust and traffic of Gurgaon can sometimes be overwhelming. Decided to leave office early, around 3 pm, and drive away. Some place where I could immerse myself in nature. Called up a contact I knew, he said that yes, a tent is available for that day and the next. Rushed back home. Took 10-15 minutes for packing. Grabbed the camera bag and checked whether batteries were more or less charged (they were, from a previous trip). Bison – my old but capable 4WD Fortuner - was ready, like always. OT: Reminds me of Field Marshal Manekshaw's famous quote to Indira Gandhi "I am always ready, sweetie". :)

Bison. In her element.
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5616_00001.jpg

Temple in the middle of nowhere.
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5217.jpg

I still have to rely on GPS when passing through Delhi. Perhaps I have become lazy and over-reliant. Was hoping that the Hapur jam would be kind on me. Actually, it wasn’t too bad. I only lost 50 minutes there. I have spent more than two hours traversing less than one km, so I guess I could count myself lucky. God knows when the flyover construction will be completed. I have a suspicion they are following Parkinson’s Law.

It started raining just as I started shifting gears after passing Hapur. Initially it was a drizzle. Then once it became dark, the rain intensified. Soon, I couldn’t see more than a few feet ahead. Parts of NH24 were waterlogged, so
I had to drive carefully, trying to minimize aquaplaning. Perhaps I should have reduced my speed a little bit, but I was in a hurry to reach since I had miles to go before I slept. The Yoko A/Ts are pretty decent (for A/T tyres) in wet conditions, and I did have a fulltime 4wd system as extra insurance. So on and on I went, trying to maintain a decent but safe speed. A few other vehicles sped by. I was just shaking my head at them, since I knew that they were teetering near the edge of safety.

The rain stopped after I crossed Moradabad. Traffic was sparse in the Moradabad – Kaladhungi stretch. I slowed down when I was crossing the forest stretch between Bazpur and Kaladhungi (where Jim Corbett had his winter home, which today is a museum dedicated to Corbett). I always slow down when crossing forest stretches. Was hoping to see a big cat, but no such luck. Only cheetals were crossing the road.

Forest road
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5190_00001.jpg

Eurasian jay
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-_dsc1384_00001.jpg

There is a steepish climb from Kaladhungi to Nainital. The moon came out after I had passed Nalni (In My India, Corbett talks about how a tiger attacked two guys who were walking to Nalni village). It was beautiful. The twinkling lights of the plains. The clean and cold mountain air. A bright moon above, playing hide and seek with the clouds.

Just before the turning to Pangot, it started raining again. And mist came from nowhere and engulfed everything. I couldn’t see more than eight feet ahead. And the road – it was a densely forested stretch - was pretty narrow, not much space beyond the wheels. It was already 11 pm. I was worried that the caretaker would have slept off, so I kept on crawling steadily, through rain and dense fog. No humans were around. No leopards either – they wouldn’t have come out for a night walk in such weather. Incidentally, locals swear that there is this one leopard that can be seen - very often - around 8 pm on a certain stretch. Regular evening walker.

When I reach my destination, it was still raining. And the tents were like 200 feet below the road. Didn’t want to honk and disturb the environment.

Decided to brave the rain and started walking down with my camera bag, the clothes bag and my boots (I prefer to wear a sandal when driving). Luckily, the caretaker had been waiting for me, and opened the gate. Dumped my stuff in the tent (it was cold and musty and wet), and told the guy to rustle up some food. He asked “rice and dal chalega?” I was like yes, anything, I am famished!

Hot food tastes good when one is tired, hungry, cold and wet. While I was having dinner, the wind was roaring, and the rain was spraying on the dining table (it was an open air setup, with a tin roof). Raw nature. Simple mountain food. A friendly but obviously sleep caretaker who wanted to go to his warm bed as soon as possible.

The night was cold, it was 7000+ feet. Carefully checked everywhere – below the bed, under the pillows, under the quilts – whether any friendly snake or nasty creepy crawly creature had decided to pay a visit. Thankfully not. I am ok with snakes but I hate centipedes or scorpions or even innocent earthworms. Went to bed. It was a world away from Gurgaon and civilization (this place was heavily forested, frequented by leopards and bears and even tigers from time to time). Not sure when I fell asleep, listening to the sound of rain doing tap dancing on the tent.

Late afternoon clouds
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5196.jpg

Somewhere in the Himalayas
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5310_00001.jpg

The rain had stopped when I opened my eyes in the morning. It was quite chilly. I do try to keep a subconscious ear open when sleeping in a flimsy tent in the middle of wilderness, but I felt quite rested and fresh. Nature is rejuvenating.

Unzipped the tent flap and put my head outside. The grass outside was wet. There were a few birds calling from a tall deodar just outside the fence. A few parrots flew in for an Arnab Goswami session. After a spirited argument, they flew away, just when I was getting out the camera. A raven appeared over me, and then kept on going, its haunting croaks slowly disappearing as it went down into the 3000 feet deep valley. A black eagle soared far above, effortlessly making use of a thermal (convection current). Eventually it disappeared beyond a forested ridge.

Breakfast was simple. Hot alu paratha and butter and achaar. And hot tea.

After fortifying the inner man, I decided to go out for a drive. It had started drizzling on and off, but I was familiar with the area (there was a deserted 18 km forest stretch ahead), and knew where I could park the vehicle and perhaps enjoy the mist. In most places the road was too narrow for two vehicles to pass, so one had to make sure that one parked in an appropriate place.

The tyres crunched as I slowly drove over the broken road. The rain had stopped for a while, so I decided to park at my favourite place. There was a steep drop of at least a couple of thousand feet. This was khaleej and cheer pheasant territory, but I knew they wouldn’t be around because of the weather. The wind was energetic and in a mood to roar. The clouds were all around – beside me, above me and below me. Such a place triggers my theta brainwaves. I am happy to sit for hours, look down into a deep and steep valley, encounter occasional ravens and eagles, and see the mist assuming so many forms. And just think of anything and nothing.

I usually carry this chair so that I can sit wherever I want to
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5563.jpg

Bison in the mist
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5647_00001.jpg

After a couple of hours, I decided to drive ahead. I kept on hoping that I would encounter a leopard, but because of the rains that didn’t happen this time.

I would have hung around there more. But I started feeling greedy and hungry. I had ordered desi chicken from Nainital, and had asked the caretaker to cook it properly. Desi chicken masala, rice and lots of salad. Delicious.

Took a nap after the heavy meal. Not a good idea, adds inches to ones waistline. But whatever. It is supremely relaxing to sleep in a tent, with the main door flap and windows open, with mist coming inside, and with the sound of rain joining hands with Morpheus to seduce you.

The rain had stopped when I woke up. It was almost dark. It was cold. I could hear the alarm calls of a kakar (barking deer) on the ridge above the road. I wanted to enjoy that lovely forest road before it became totally dark. So quickly splashed some water on my face, got myself ready for a wet and lonely forest walk, and started.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5652_00001.jpg

Had to keep an eye for overfriendly leopards and bears. Tigers were unlikely this time. And the caretaker had told me that the leopards in this region were following the protocol and were rather decent i.e. they were only interested in village dogs and goats and cattle. So no incidents of human-animal conflict in the last few years. Still, it stirs the senses when one is walking on a lonely mountain road, with the wind making its own symphony, and with the dark shadows lengthening every moment.

Late afternoon walk
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5601_00001p.jpg

When out for such walks, I try to follow certain precautions. I carry a torch. I wear a cap (as backup) that has an LED light. And I keep track of which way the wind is blowing, and where there is undergrowth encroaching on the road, especially from the hillside.

The walk stimulated all my senses. When I went back, it was dark. I had to use a torch to travel the last one km. I had earlier asked the caretaker to get firewood for an evening fire. Told him to start building the fire. He said, “saab, aap thora freshen up kar lo, I will call you when the fire is ready”. I love seeing a fire slowly being lit. So I told him that I am getting a chair and sitting in front of him while he got it going. I could have started it too. I love doing that. I used to have regular winter campfires in my garden when I was in Bangalore. Always tried to build a roaring fire with one matchstick, without any kerosene; building a fire is an art; what fun is there when one pours fuel and just throws a matchstick?. Anyway, sometimes one should just relax and enjoy.

The caretaker and I started talking. I invited him to come and sit close to me, and offered him whatever I was having.

He was full of questions. Why I am here alone? Where do I work? Why do I come here in the middle of the night? Have I seen a leopard or a tiger? After the last question, I had to show him a few of my photos. Then he asked me where I was going. Quo Vadis. I had no answer to that.

I asked him a few questions too, while his craggy face was lit by the crackling fire.

Where you are from? A village three km away.
How long have you been here? X years.

What are your kids doing? Studying, they hope to do higher studies in Nainital and then ….

Have you encountered a leopard or a tiger here? Leopard, many times!! Once I was driving on that road around 8 pm, and this leopard was sitting right on the road. He didn’t get up for 10 minutes. I was on a bike, and I was afraid to push it, because it was huge male leopard. Tiger bhi dekha a few times, but not on the road. We generally try to not walk or ride after dark. Last year this cow was killed by a tiger in this village two km away
One can make out whether it is a leopard or tiger kill; let me not get into the gory differences.

I had requested him to get – if possible – juniper and resinous pine wood. He had. The fire smelt amazing. The breeze was cold; the flame was warm; and the hysterical alarm call of a barking deer was harsh. Some people are not comfortable in the midst of nowhere, especially in such a basic place. I happen to love such places when I am traveling alone.

Dinner. Rice. Delicious desi chicken. Nimbu, and lots of onion and cucumber. #Perfect.

After dinner, I decided to go for a drive. Went back to the afternoon spot. Village lights – many km away – were twinkling deep in the valley. I sat on a rock, at the edge of a cliff. Grass all around. And just three feet away, a two thousand feet drop. The moon decided to pay a visit. I had parked Bison right next to me, so that frisky cats or bears would think twice before making a pass at me. Was not in a mood to fraternize.

Sat there for two hours. The moon flirted with the clouds. Heard the sawing of a leopard in the valley below. Barking deers kept on calling from time to time. I somehow love those kakar calls. Haunting. Reminds me of Jim Corbett stories. The wind became colder. The homestead lights in the valley started dying, slowly, one after the other. It was time to go. It was too bloody cold anyway.

When I came back, the embers were about to die out. Sat for a few minutes, trying to enjoy the last few minutes of warmth. Then went to the tent. Did the usual reconnaissance - turning over the damp quilts and pillows, looking below the bed, checking the canvas, and shining the torch around the corners of the tent.

A lovely morning. The sun was up. Much warmer. Many more birds. But it was time to go. One last trip the pheasant place. No luck. Not even a griffon vulture. Decided to drive few km ahead and wait at a birding place. Managed to get a few (snap) shots after careful stalking.

Drive
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5620_00001.jpg

Himalayan woodpecker
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-_dsc1402_00001.jpg

Driving. Somewhere.
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-dsc_5239c.jpg

The trip back was meh. Got stuck in a jam for 1.5 hours near Hapur. Asked myself whether it was worth it – such a hectic drive, so much time in traffic, and the “nature immersion/silly travel” ratio. After some soul searching, the answer was the same. YES!

I had been there earlier. And I went there again. In fact, next time, after one night in that tent, I stayed at a wonderful, 120 years old forest rest house when I was coming back from Binsar. That is another story :-)

Raw, tasteful, straight from the heart.

Amazing write up as usual. So you have moved to Gurgaon now, closer to Himalayas and snow leopards ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermodynamics (Post 4562662)
Raw, tasteful, straight from the heart.

Amazing write up as usual. So you have moved to Gurgaon now, closer to Himalayas and snow leopards ?

Thanks. I shuttle between Gurgaon and Bangalore. Closer to the Himalayas (they are like my beloved Nilgiris now), still far away from snow leopards, and perhaps farther away from leopards since those cats visit urban Bangalore from time to time. :)

Nilanjan, love your writing and photos. Whens that Binsar trip log coming up?

Beautiful pictures and write-up as usual @Nilanjan! Loved the opening picture of the Bison. I would never have the courage to go for a walk alone in the jungle and that too after sunset. Hats-off to your courage. I remember going for a walk with my friend in Simplipal forest at night and it was scary. I don't think I will ever do it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Liner (Post 4562694)
Nilanjan, love your writing and photos. Whens that Binsar trip log coming up?

Thanks. Soon, I hope. That trip was more interesting, in more ways than one :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPearl (Post 4562703)
Beautiful pictures and write-up as usual @Nilanjan! Loved the opening picture of the Bison. I would never have the courage to go for a walk alone in the jungle and that too after sunset. Hats-off to your courage. I remember going for a walk with my friend in Simplipal forest at night and it was scary. I don't think I will ever do it again.

Thanks. Depends on the forest (dynamics/human-animal conflict) and one's comfort level I guess. I always check with the local folks before venturing out alone. I mean, in Binsar, the KMVN folks told me that there were two mating leopards around (they get very cranky and aggressive around that time), and that I shouldn't go for a solo walk in the forest around/after sunset. I still went. I was comfortable maintaining a certain distance - and diffusing the situation - if I encountered the amorous cats. But let me tell you. When I was walking alone, and especially after the sun had set, the adrenaline was flowing high :)

I think I have read all your threads [including travelogues & the bison thread], but this thread is the absolute best in terms of engaging your reader.

Hope and wish you travel more and share more :thumbs up.

Another crisp travelogue with beautiful set of pics.

Didn't make out till reading your comment later that you are based in Delhi temporarily, was wondering why you started the travelogue with details from Delhi.

It's been a while since your last post (about a certain pale coloured cat :) ). I've been seeing your posts on FB. Good to see you back on T-BHP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4562742)
I think I have read all your threads [including travelogues & the bison thread], but this thread is the absolute best in terms of engaging your reader.

Hope and wish you travel more and share more :thumbs up.

Thank you. Have been traveling a bit - Himalayas, Central India etc. A few travelogues are in the pipeline.

Binsar
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-_dsc3788_00001b.jpg

Crested kingfisher, near Sattal
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-crestedkingfisher.jpg

Tigress, Tadoba
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-_dsc6091_00001b.jpg

Dhikala grasslands, Corbett, monochrome
Bison Chronicles | Mist and Rain, Kumaon-_dsc5014_00001bw.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpksuhas (Post 4562818)
Another crisp travelogue with beautiful set of pics.

Didn't make out till reading your comment later that you are based in Delhi temporarily, was wondering why you started the travelogue with details from Delhi.

Thanks. I moved here last year. Keep shuttling back and forth.

Edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 4562892)
It's been a while since your last post (about a certain pale coloured cat :) ). I've been seeing your posts on FB. Good to see you back on T-BHP.

Yeah, have not been active lately. Btw I post less on FB and more on Instagram nowadays: https://www.instagram.com/nilanjanray/

Unlike the others who have commented, I have not had a chance to read your previous threads. But I am glad that I got to this one.

Lovely photos and stream-of-consciousness narrative. Quite enjoyable.

Personally though, tents and the outdoors, and any place without proper toilets and plumbing are not for me. :cool: I think that the whole reason we invented the indoors is because it is better than the outdoors. That said I do enjoy nature as long as it is accessible from a decent hotel room.

You are just awesome, man. Thanks for making me happy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nilanjanray (Post 4562894)

Yeah, have not been active lately. Btw I post less on FB and more on Instagram nowadays: https://www.instagram.com/nilanjanray/

I haven't been browsing tbhp for a while, but your thread and photography have pulled me back, what gorgeous pictures! Havent seen such stuff .

You sir have a dedicated new follower

Great Tlog Nilanjan, have been following your tlogs for some time and loved this one. When did you move to Gurgaon from Bangalore. beautiful location and it has been amplified with your photographs, please share the location details.
waiting for Binsar Tlog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohansrides (Post 4562949)
Personally though, tents and the outdoors, and any place without proper toilets and plumbing are not for me. :cool: I think that the whole reason we invented the indoors is because it is better than the outdoors. That said I do enjoy nature as long as it is accessible from a decent hotel room.

Thanks. The tent did have a proper loo. Having said that, I am always willing to compromise regarding luxury as long as the view/surroundings are worth it. I prefer a forest rest house in the midst of wilderness to a 5-star room in the city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karuvally (Post 4563580)
You are just awesome, man. Thanks for making me happy.

Thanks. Glad that you liked it :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by noo.b (Post 4564129)
I haven't been browsing tbhp for a while, but your thread and photography have pulled me back, what gorgeous pictures! Havent seen such stuff .

You sir have a dedicated new follower

Thank you!