Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 13:07   #1

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park

Hello BHPians,

I am extremely delighted to be accepted into this wonderful community of automobile and travel enthusiasts and experts. I would like to introduce myself followed by a travelogue about Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park in my first post.

Intro: I am a 30-year old software engineer currently living in California, USA. I was born and brought up in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh and worked in Hyderabad and Pune before moving to US. Like many of you here I am very passionate about Cars and Bikes, I still remember pretending to drive my uncle's scooter as a 10-year old. I had the pleasure of owing and driving a Bajaj Spirit, Hero Honda Splendor, Yamaha R15, Hyundai Santro and Honda City in India followed by Toyota Corolla and Mercedes C43 AMG in US. In the States, I tried my hand at different types of cars (rentals) like SUVs, muscle cars, pickup trucks among others. My other interests include wristwatches, electronic gadgets, travelling and cooking. I also indulge in chronicling my travels in a travel diary.

Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park:
Many of you might be aware of the National Park system in US, they are strewn all across the country and offer a wide variety of landscapes. One of my endeavors has been to visit as many of them as possible while I am here. One such trip took me to Oregon Coast and Redwood National Park. Many people describe California-1 highway as the holy grail of coastline driving experience, while it is true, Oregon coast is equally enchanting and beautiful.

Trip Info: My friend & I started from Orange County, CA and followed the route shown below. We were able to complete this stretch in about 5 days.

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-trip_info.jpg

Day 1: We started from Orange Country on a Thursday afternoon and reached bay area and spent the night there.

Day 2: Oregon Coast
We started very early in the morning, drove through a nearby forest fire and reached Newport, OR in the evening and had a delicious seafood meal in this beach city. We stayed the night in Newport, OR

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180901_132805.jpg

The sky was orange due to a forest fire. This picture was taken on the morning of day 2 (not edited).

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_143123.jpg
View from the restaurant

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_144843.jpg
Seafood Pasta

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_144850.jpg
Crab cakes & French Fries

Day 3: Oregon Coast
The actually trip started on this day as we started heading back down south along with the Oregon Coast highway and stopped at few beaches and trails. We reached Crescent city, CA and stayed the night.

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_182620.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_182754.jpg

The following pictures are from the Hobbit Trail which opens into a secluded beach.

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-hobbit.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-hobbit2.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-beach_trail.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-beach1.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-beach2.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_154416.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-20180902_174455.jpg

Day 4: Redwood National Park
This park has some of the tallest and oldest trees in the world and was a sight to behold in early winter. After visiting the park, we spent the night in Eureka, CA

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-redwood1.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-redwood2.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-redwood3.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-redwood4.jpg

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-crosssection.jpg
This is the trunk cross-section of a fallen redwood tree

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-hollow.jpg
Hollow trunk of a redwood tree

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-tallest.jpg

Day 5: Back Home
Most of the day 5 was spent driving back home.

I hope you all enjoy these pictures as much as I did taking them. Let me conclude my first post with a quote I came across in the park.

As empires arise from the ashes of those that came before, so do redwoods - Unknown.

Other trip information:
Distance: ~2000 miles
Car: Honda Civic
Petrol (Gas): ~ USD 200
Accommodation: ~ USD 400 (for 2 people)

Last edited by drasup321 : 25th March 2019 at 13:35.
drasup321 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 13:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park

Mod note: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Travelogues. Thanks for sharing.
Old 27th March 2019, 10:07   #3
BHPian

Re: A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park

I drove from Crescent City, CA to the Bay Area in September last year. US101 is the highway, and it passes through the coastal Redwoods. These are amongst the tallest and the oldest trees in the world. Some of them are as tall as a 25 to 30-floor building.

For size comparison, here is a picture of my 2015 Toyota RAV4 standing next to a roadside redwood tree. No, it's not a miniature/toy car.

A trip to Oregon Coast & Redwood National Park-img_20180909_123647.jpg
vikred is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks