Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2019, 21:57   #16

Re: The Calcutta Food Walk

What a post!! Superb bro! Zakaria is a great place to gulp on some meat during the non-Eid times also! Calcutta (yes I still prefer calling Calcutta over Kolkata during these heritage moments) is truly a food lover's paradise! Thanks bhpian!
On_the_drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 07:36   #17
BHPian

Some more recommendations to confuse readers even further :

1) Stock Exchange Tea/Toast/Dosa - Dalhousie Area - Craving for an early morning tea to beat the nip in the air? Visit this stall in the morning and alongside getting one of the best Chai experiences, get an opportunity to interact with Kolkata-based business leaders and see the latest supercars that have been taken up by residents. The plan works best on a Sunday!
Their unique offering is the "Malai toast" which shall accentuate sugar levels and your chai experience manifold.

2) Anamika Roll Centre - New Alipore Area - The go-to shop for rolls in Kolkata visitors is Kusum Rolls (Park St). However, I'm not a big fan since I find the dough-to-meat/veggies ratio excessive for my liking. This shop has been quenching hunger pangs for over 30 years. The main USP of this stall is that the Roti is thin, equivalent to a single home-made paratha and one won't feel bloated. The minimal dough and maximum onions+meat always results in a significant release of dopamine in my brain.

3) Dosa Coffee - Sarat Bose Road - Crave a place to just sit and have coffee sourced from Chikmaglur? Head to this joint. I found the coffee to be much more flavorful than Starbucks. Idly is another must-try. It's super soft and melts in your mouth, faster than ice-cream can. I'd love further opinion of this newly-opened joint by other members. I feel that it's significantly better than Jyoti Vihar and can become a mainstay for idly-fans if they are able to maintain their quality levels.

PS : Dosa Coffee has been started by an acquaintance, but the recommendation is heartfelt. I'd delete it if others feel it's not worthy of being featured on this thread.

Last edited by sharktale : 26th December 2019 at 07:42.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 10:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

You know there is a connection between Calcutta, Lucknow, Delhi & Hyderabad?
Yeah all these places have fabulous local non veg cuisines ... but the history goes back to the days of Nawabs (known as Nizams in Hyderabad).
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 13:57   #19
BHPian

You are welcome BlackPearl sir and now in a newer role your comments carry even greater weightage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
. Thanks for sharing sayakc! [/b]

What a mouthwatering thread! Loved the narration and the pictures.

Thanks Samba. Yes, I too have heard about the fries from Apanjan but have never tried till date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Awesome! What a thread! A much needed food guide for people visiting Kolkata or even for people staying in Kolkata. Just to add-on, do try out the Fish Kabiraji, Fish Fry & Egg Mutton Devil from Apanjan near Kalighat!
Yes, boniver, I think we can always add onto this thread for it to be a reference 'foodie' thread for Calcutta. My wife used to work in that area a few years ago and we have had Jeera Rice and Butter Chicken from Jai Hind many times in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I'd suggest everyone to try out my favourite food at my favourite food joint in town: Chicken Bharta and Tandoori Roti at Jai Hind Dhaba.
Thanks Carpainter. We have a group of friends who meet after our morning joggings/walks and have Balwant's Aloo Parantha and Tea at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Excellent thread!!! Even better street photography.
* Balwant Singh dhaba at Bhawanipore for its famous tea and other snacks. Most important of all, it remains open all night long.

* Bhel puri/Papdi Chat at Southern Avenue near Lake Kali Bari.
Thanks Chirag. I am sure this thread doesnt compile even 1% of what the city has to offer. Theres the Chinese breakfast market and shops in North Calcutta that are famous for their fries and mutton dishes that I haven't been able to explore. So, you will get a lot to explore I am sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
Mouthwatering thread indeed, and lovely writing. Excellent pictures as well.
Thanks PrideRed. The "Rosogolla"(pronounced in the Bengali way) is indeed a 'hallmark' invention, if I may say so. And in the winters you get Sandesh made from Jaggery - do try and taste those also the next time you are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
During my week long stay in Calcutta , I think I survived only on Rasgulla and Sandesh! While my non-vegetarian friends had a great time relishing the great food, I found vegetarian food so-so.
Thank you AJ-got-BHP .We want to see that thread coming out live very soon and I am pretty sure it will add a new perspective too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Something similar has been in my assembly line for over a year or so now, but somehow have not been able to compile it properly. However, seeing your pictures, I will let my thread rest..
Thanks mallumowgli. I believe that is another excuse to revisit the city once again. I always believe (accepting pollution as it is) winter is a great time to spend time in the city. Lovely, cool mornings, great food to taste day and night you will definitely like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
In spite of spending 4 years in Kolkatta, have not tried even 10% of what city has to offer. A trip needs to be planned for the food as well as for nostalgia

Thats great Urban_Nomad. January is a great time to explore the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Amazing thread; amazing timing too (for me) . Thanks everyone for their suggestions / contributions
Thanks roadrunner_nv for your suggestion. May be sometime in the future we will try to cover the sweets too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_nv View Post
I strongly object to such posts. They only serve to make a hungry person hungrier.
Jokes apart, Kolkata is surely one fantastic place for anyone with good taste buds. Been a sweet lover all my life and coverage of the traditional Bengali sweets would make the thread tastier...
*"Drool"*
Thanks Miyata. I believe you will enjoy tea from Sharma Dhaba and Balwant Singh - thick milky tea. And if you want to have the liquor tea Dolly's Tea Shop (in Dakshinapan) is another traditional stop. Bedouin Kathi Rolls is still there at Gariahat (IIRC). However, there was a Bedouin restaurant in Dover Lane that has shut shop for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Great thread. Have not found good tea in Kolkata, will try your suggestion when I'm there next.

in street food, one place I recall is Bedouin Kathi Rolls at Gariahat. Hope I got the shop name right. It is a very small place. Just 5/6 chairs placed right outside in the open. Opposite to this place is a fabric printing store that does not look very functional.
Thank you bblost for your comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
An absolute treat to read this beautiful thread.

Thanks a lot for sharing. Had to read it in the second pass because I was just scanning the pics the first time.
Thank you Abhinav, yes you should take some time out to visit Calcutta for a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav V View Post
The photos literally had me drooling over. Nothing beats the taste of street food.
We got to read about a typical day in the life of Kolkata's office-goers and street vendors.
True, can't agree more. After submitting the thread I noted another thing which I wanted to correct "Zakaria street during Ramzan" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_the_drive View Post
What a post!! Superb bro! Zakaria is a great place to gulp on some meat during the non-Eid times also! Calcutta (yes I still prefer calling Calcutta over Kolkata during these heritage moments) is truly a food lover's paradise! Thanks bhpian!
Thanks sharktale. I have heard about Malai Toast from Dalhousie area but never got it try it ever. I believe, this thread can be enriched if we can list more places that are known for the food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
1) Stock Exchange Tea/Toast/Dosa - Dalhousie Area - Craving for an early morning tea to beat the nip in the air? The plan works best on a Sunday!
Their unique offering is the "Malai toast" which shall accentuate sugar levels and your chai experience manifold.
Thats very true alpha1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You know there is a connection between Calcutta, Lucknow, Delhi & Hyderabad?
Yeah all these places have fabulous local non veg cuisines ... but the history goes back to the days of Nawabs (known as Nizams in Hyderabad).
sayakc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 16:07   #20

Excellent post. The mouth watering photographs of foods are really making me miss Kolkata even more, specially the chicken stew(Decker's lane). I just want to add one more name to the list that is Paradise Sherbat (located at College Street), I just love their ' Daab Sherbat'. Every time I visit kolkata I make sure I try Biriyani, Chicken stew and daab sherbat positively.
Sarkar_ask is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 20:11   #21

I curse myself badly for seeing this thread very late as I just came back from my NE trip. Never mind, at least I could contribute below recommendation from my side. We went to this place as it was mentioned in one of the Malayalam movies.

Arsalan, Park Circus Area, Kolkata (they have 8 branches i guess but this is original)
Items to try:
1. Spl Arsalan chicken kabab (Grilled chicked wrapped with a dense layer of yummy cheese) - 440/- per plate of 6 kabab pieces. Yes it is costly indeed but item is worth the price.
2. Spl chicken/mutton biryani
3. Phirni [Ending an heavy meal with a dessert is heavenly feeling ]
naveen4ru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarkar_ask View Post
Excellent post. I just want to add one more name to the list that is Paradise Sherbat (located at College Street), I just love their ' Daab Sherbat'. Every time I visit kolkata I make sure I try Biriyani, Chicken stew and daab sherbat positively.
By the name of 'Daab Sherbat', I am a bit confused here, are you talking of Paramount Sherbat, located in east side of Colledge Square? Their Cocoa Malai is also great and I request you to try it once.
rahul4640 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 15:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
By the name of 'Daab Sherbat', I am a bit confused here, are you talking of Paramount Sherbat, located in east side of Colledge Square? Their Cocoa Malai is also great and I request you to try it once.
Correct Rahul4640, I rectify my mistake and yes it is Paramount not Paradise, my bad
Also, as you recommended, I will definitely try Cocoa Malai from Paramount next time whenever I visit Kolkata.
Old 28th December 2019, 02:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Just to add-on, do try out the Fish Kabiraji, Fish Fry & Egg Mutton Devil from Apanjan near Kalighat!
Did someone say Apanjan

The Calcutta Food Walk-img_2333.jpg

The Calcutta Food Walk-img_2334.jpg

The Calcutta Food Walk-img_2335.jpg
Samfromindia is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:07   #25
BHPian

What a mouthwatering thread. Both Dacre's lane & Zakaria street are close to my office and i frequently go there. But your thread has made me realize that i am yet to explore both fully. Thank's a lot for sharing. Waiting for your thread on chinese breakfast of Tiretti Bazar.
Fordlover88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 14:13   #26
BHPian

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks to all those contributed. Can someone give such a detailed report of pure vegetarian places in Kolkata? Thanks in advance.
lejhoom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 10:39   #27
BHPian

Being born and brought up in Calcutta could not help contributing my two bits :

Now Calcutta has become expensive compared to old time for sure, these days due
to onslaught of youtube and travel videos lots of places have gained popularity, some worth the hype while some not as much,
and some have lost it after the popularity.
E.g. Arsalan is way over priced now and no longer serves the quality as before (its my personal experience)

Many unknown unexplored places which are not there in travel blogs and videos have not found their due place.

Since many people wanted vegetarian fare, let me give them the treasures that till date I goto whenver I visit dear old Calcutta -
in fact many a times I visit just to revive the old taste buds.

If you know the place, in Calcutta you can get better idli dosa than south and chole bhature than Delhi too.

This is the extract of 20 years of Calcutta living and food exploration, so pouring my heart out so that all bhpians can enjoy.
Note - Since I stayed in BurraBazar my most places are from that area.

Now over to some hidden gems not yet shining in limelight - trust me you will become as big fans as me once you visit -

Anand - Chitranjan Avenue, Near Chandni Chowk, Esplanade
The idlis and dosas here are to die for, there is queue in most weekends, but its worth the wait, hot piping soft melt in your mouth
idlis, though they serve other dishes too, wipe it down with a coffee.

Burra Bazar is the heart of Calcutta, if you can spend a day here - the food will want you to come back again and again.
All the places below are walking distance and withing a radius of 2 kms max. You can take autos or rickshaws to move around.
Dont even dare taking a car there.

Kalakar Street - Burra Bazar
This is vegetarian foodies heaven - I dont know why no-one ever made video of share it anywhere in blogs, its lined
with sweet shops selling all kinds of mouth watering food.
Must try is Disco kachauri - small kachoris with spicy aloo ki sabji
Samosas - made of pure ghee and hot
Special Sweets like chena kadam, ras malai cham chams dripping kesar juices etc.

Satya Narayan Park - Burra Bazar
Here do not miss Tewaris - their desi ghee samosas are best ever i had.
Pav Bhaji - Many stalls selling deliciious hot paw bhajis teres rush here but still you can enjoy once you taste it you cant put
plate down.
Theres a place called Ksheer Sagar - their sweets are as pure as one can get anywhere - not to be missed.

Ambika - Mullick Street - Burra Bazar
Located in very busy street, try their Gujarati fare - Fafda, Jalebi, Farali pattice is to die for and not available elsewhere
There is another Ambika too which is bigger just opposite - this one is good for Kachoris and Samosas mostly
Opposite you will find Doodh and Lassi wala to water down after relishing at Ambika.
If you go in the evenings theres one puchka wala and masala mudi wala just a little ahead.

Bagree Market - Burra Bazar
This is a wholesale market and very busy.
Outside the gates there ones famous Hare Matar ki Kachori seller - their kachoris are unique with green peas filling,
Subji they serve is super delicious and unique I have never tasted anywhere else, in fact I could gobble on the sabji alone.
Next to his is a south indian stall selling idlis, dosa, etc. Dont miss their Butter Fry Masala Dosa, its a dosa made separately
and the dosa filling fried in butter containing potatoes peanuts etc., lipsmacking.

Rabindra Jalpan - 22 Rabindra Sarani, Burra Bazar, Near Tiretta market
The Sambar and Chutney they make is heaven, their chole bhature and pulao are superb.
I always wondered how can they make both north and south indian fare that too so delicious.
Try it once, the taste is very different than elsewhere and its lip smacking to say the least.

Now to add for Non-Veg lovers -

Royal Indian Hotel - 147 Rabindra Sarani - Burra Bazar
Its a pure muslim restaurant service out of the world tasty yummy non vegetarian fare.
Try their kebabs, rezala, and the stuff they fry on huge tawa as soon as you enter, the aroma covers the whole area.

These are just some - there are so many more but am limiting it here.
Maybe once I go again I can click some pics, but I am not much of a photography person.
Where ever I go I want to fully experience and satiate myself rather than clicking pics.
Apologies, but I would rather let you guys enjoy the food journey there and see and taste for yourself.
xway is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 22:32   #28
BHPian

What a delicious thread and an equally delectable narration sayakc ! I was reading this post dinner and I am already hungry The pictures are amazing and it feels like I can even smell those mouth watering dishes. Thanks a ton for taking us on a ‘food walk’ along the bylanes of Kolkata. I have added few of the eateries to my ‘must-visit’ list !
turboNath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 13:50   #29
BHPian

Delightful thread. I am sitting in my office in Vadodara for my lunch and seeing the pics of food from my beloved hometown and getting homesickness vibes. Damn!!

Kolkata has been a foodies paradise.

I being a true blood bengali never dared order/eat out at a restaurant serving authentic Bangali food cos - Ghar ki murgi daal barabar. But this time at the insistence of my Probashi bangali wife ordered Bangali cuisine from a well known place and was blown away.

Kolkata and Delhi for me remain foodies delight.

Thanks sirs for this thread
Archisman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 20:40   #30
BHPian

Thought of adding some color to this already informative thread on Kolkata food walk. I had the opportunity to visit two such old shops of North Kolkata.

Pal Eating House (গণেশ দার দোকান) - Famous Fish Kochuri

Although it goes by the name of Paul Eating House and located less than a kilometer away from the Shyambazaar 5 point crossing, since we were arriving from south, took the Stand Road -> Strand Bank Road all along the Hoogly / Ganga River to avoid all the traffic until we reached Sovabazaar and then took right from there as the next section of the Strand Bank Road was marked NO ENTRY, Google Map pretty much guided us accurately to the final destination inside a narrow section of Nandalal Bose Lane.

The road is wide enough for 2 cars to cross each other comfortably. I was lucky to find a parking for the i10 just next to the temple beside the shop. The crowd is apparent from a distance.
The Calcutta Food Walk-01.-crowd.jpg

The shop has two parts, a small open kitchen and . .
The Calcutta Food Walk-02.-shop.jpg

. . an enclosed room at the ground floor of the next building.
The Calcutta Food Walk-03.-eating-room.jpg

Although the service slows down when there is peak demand like we observed when we reached there, the crown of their menu is still something worth to try out at least once, the Fish Kochuri with Alur Dom. It is regular Kochuri / Puri stuffed with a think layer of smashed Rohu fish.
The Calcutta Food Walk-04.-fish-kochuri.jpg

We also tried their Fish Fry which was nice
The Calcutta Food Walk-05.-fish-fry.jpg

We had appetite for more but could not wait for the service to catch up with the demand, so we headed for our next stop

Allen's Kitchen - Ghee fried batter cutlets
Around 1.5 KM from Pal Eating House, right on Jatindra Mohan Avenue is Allen's Kichen.

The shop, if we include their older outlet at Chitpur, has a combined heritage of 130 years. They have also opened an outlet in Bhowanipore a few years back. Coming back to our visit yesterday, they have some limited seating arrangement inside but they were full, luckily they offer drive through dining, and we were able to try out a few of their delicacies while meeting our hunger. Note that the area in front of their shop can be used for parking and dinning.
The Calcutta Food Walk-06.-allen.jpg

We started off with Egg Devil Chop (stuffed with Egg and smashed Fish stuffing), Chicken Breast cutlet and Fish Roll
The Calcutta Food Walk-07.-devil-breast-cutlet.jpg

And we summed up the evening with Ghee Battered Fish Cutlet and Prawn Cutlet, both were nice.
The Calcutta Food Walk-08.-batter-fry.jpg

Although not related to the above outing but wanted to call out two more worthy mentions

Malai Toast

We are regulars at Sharma near Menoka cinema hall for their Malai Toast, reminds us of Benaras although there may be many such places in and around Kolkata that make this item. Location: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ttyBXbWJ98GS77ER7
The Calcutta Food Walk-malai-toast.jpg

Adi Sree Hari Mistanna Bhandar - Dal Puri & Singara

An age old shop in South Kolkata, originally located opposite Kalighat Temple, but now they have relocated (due to construction of the skywalk for the Kalighat Temple) just a few minutes away close to Apanjan (already mentioned in the thread above) and the narrow road in front of the shop leads directly to the Temple, hence this is a popular pit stop for the devotees to break their fast while returning from the temple. Car can be parked opposite to the shop keeping just enough room for another car to pass.

Their signature Singara (Samosa) and Dal Puri / Radhaballabhi with Cholar Dal and Alur Dom is a must try and unbeatable in the area.
The Calcutta Food Walk-1709477837902.jpg

Last edited by haisaikat : 3rd March 2024 at 20:47.
haisaikat is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks