Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 20:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kabini: The Dark Lord (Black Panther). Again

Awesome pictures. I can imagine the feeling you must have had when the dark lord turned back to look. Majestic eh?
naveenroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:51   #17
BHPian

That's not the dark lord, it's 'Baghera' and he's looking for Mowgli! Great pictures, i wish it was this easy(i know it must be really difficult but sighting a leopard, a tiger and a black panther in one trip!) to sight wild animals in Ranthambore.

Last edited by yesyeswe : 31st December 2019 at 00:04.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 09:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_ST3 View Post
Amazing photographs and thanks for giving us new destination to ride.
Thanks, Sunny_ST3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Must say that you were very lucky with the sightings of the leopard, the tiger and the dark lord in your Safari.
Thanks, AJ-got-BHP. Although luck has a great role in sightings, as in any walk of life, it is also a matter of great patience. For example, as I mentioned in my original post, we had to wait nearly 30 minutes for the mother leopard to come in search of her cub. 30 minutes of sitting tight in one place, trying to be as quiet as possible, is not easy. Especially if there are kids in the vehicle. Fortunately for us, there were none in our vehicle. Even the Dark Lord, we had to slow cruise up and down the path, waiting for him to appear, knowing that a leopard was in there somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWraith View Post
Going to use them as wallpaper. Hope it's ok....Hope to see more.
Thanks, SkyWraith. You are welcome to use the photos as wallpaper. And I definitely hope to see more too

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Awesome pictures. I can imagine the feeling you must have had when the dark lord turned back to look. Majestic eh?
Thanks, naveenroy. Yes, that feeling is indescribable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That's not the dark lord, it's 'Baghera' and he's looking for Mowgli!
Thanks, yesyeswe.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 09:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

An excellent thread & some spellbinding photography. The leopard & her cub looking straight into the lens is something to cherish! And then of course Bagheera . The leopard / black panther are my favourite living beings & thank you for these pictures.

Rated the thread well deserved 5 stars.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 11:54   #20
BHPian

Wow, the last two photographs just made my day, cannot believe how excited you must be seeing in person, photos I am sure cannot do justice to the experience. Awesome photography overall.
srikanthpotluri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 13:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Thanks, AJ-got-BHP. Although luck has a great role in sightings, as in any walk of life, it is also a matter of great patience. For example, as I mentioned in my original post, we had to wait nearly 30 minutes for the mother leopard to come in search of her cub. 30 minutes of sitting tight in one place, trying to be as quiet as possible, is not easy. Especially if there are kids in the vehicle. Fortunately for us, there were none in our vehicle. Even the Dark Lord, we had to slow cruise up and down the path, waiting for him to appear, knowing that a leopard was in there somewhere.
It's all a patience game. Specially with kids it becomes that much more difficult to make them sit tight without a dialogue. We have done a few Jungle Safari(s) in Pench and Kanha in MP and another few in Bera, Rajasthan with the kids and keeping them calm is the biggest task.

Sharing a link to our Pench & Kanha Travelogue :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post3712674 (Photologue: Pench & Kanha National Park)

Also, sharing a link to our Bera Safari Experience :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4161330 (East-West drive to the native land : Toyota Etios from Kolkata to Rajasthan)

But sighting a black panther is something very rare, unique and commendable indeed
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
It has been a very productive visit this time. When the most famous eyes in Kabini look directly into your eyes, a shiver runs down the spine, the heart rate jumps up, the breath catches in your throat, the fingers quiver and you know that this is why you are here, this is why you keep coming back, this is the high you crave.
These lines gave me goosebumps.
Always a pleasure to read your travelogues with beautiful pictures and gripping writing style.

hmansari
hmansari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 20:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
An excellent thread & some spellbinding photography ....Rated the thread well deserved 5 stars.
Thanks, Reinhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthpotluri View Post
Awesome photography overall.
Thanks, srikanthpotluri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Specially with kids it becomes that much more difficult to make them sit tight without a dialogue. We have done a few Jungle Safari(s) in Pench and Kanha in MP and another few in Bera, Rajasthan with the kids and keeping them calm is the biggest task.
Yes, kids especially ones who are between five and ten, are very difficult to manage on a safari. They get bored very quickly and will be rather staring at a phone given the chance. The parents keep "disturbing" them to drop the phone and look at this animal or that bird. Most of the kids are not interested at all, in my experience. I try and avoid vehicles with kids in it, as far as possible. I've got nothing against kids in general, in fact I love being with them, just not on safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmansari View Post
These lines gave me goosebumps.
Thanks, hmansari. Happy to know you like the writing style.
Stryker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 22:12   #24
BHPian

Hello
you really are part of an exclusive club ; to have spotted the black panther twice
Amazing photographs too.
Do let know regarding your next trip ; will join up maybe to at least have one glimpse of "the dark lord"
atlantis0965 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Do let know regarding your next trip ; will join up maybe to at least have one glimpse of "the dark lord"
Thanks, atlantis0965. I wish it were as simple as me going there and the Dark Lord coming up to say Hi Our trips are generally not planned too much in advance, may a week or two depending on room availability at JLR. Anyway, will let you know. Most probably February.
Old 2nd January 2020, 19:24   #26
BHPian

Excellent pictures of the black lord! In my bizillion trips to Kabini, i was (finally) blessed with the dark lord back in May but it was at the extreme edge of my 600mm lens. And he was preoccupied with furthering his species!

Few pictures from that trip. Hope to see the dark lord much closer sometime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Kabini: The Dark Lord (Black Panther). Again-dsc_0290.jpg  

Kabini: The Dark Lord (Black Panther). Again-dsc_0322.jpg  

Kabini: The Dark Lord (Black Panther). Again-dsc_0312.jpg  

naveenvenkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 01:34   #27

Fantastic pics! I too have taken the liberty of making the last picture of the dark lord my wallpaper for my Laptop. Every time I look at it I can feel my breath catching!

What an amazing shot! Hats off!
ndnesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Few pictures from that trip. Hope to see the dark lord much closer sometime soon.
Thanks naveenvenkatesh. Good that you were able to capture the mating pair. When it comes to the Dark Lord, distance is immaterial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnesh View Post
What an amazing shot! Hats off!
Thanks, ndnesh.
Stryker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 20:47   #29
JRW

Excellent photos and thanks for sharing. I've been on his trail for a few years now, but in vain, he has not given me his audience yet. But, as recent as last week, we had a Black Panther sighting right on the Tholpetty road, he walked across the road at around 7 pm while we were driving back to our farm.

Also, interesting photo of the Tigress, she is lactating - she is with cubs.
JRW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 14:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Retreat View Post
Excellent photos and thanks for sharing. I've been on his trail for a few years now, but in vain, he has not given me his audience yet. But, as recent as last week, we had a Black Panther sighting right on the Tholpetty road, he walked across the road at around 7 pm while we were driving back to our farm.

Also, interesting photo of the Tigress, she is lactating - she is with cubs.
Thanks, Anil. I read your leopard spotting at your farm house many years ago and would love to hear more experiences. Black Panthers have been growing in numbers everywhere, there seems to be some kind of advantage in it apart from attracting the ladies, that is (which is not to be discounted in any case). Kabini/Nagarhole still has only one.

Yes, the tigress is lactating, she must be a first time mother. No sign of the cubs though, maybe they are too young to be out and about. We'll see them soon surely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks