Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2020, 22:56   #1
BHPian

Daman in less than 24 hours

Few friends were to arrive in Mumbai on Friday 8:30 PM and they had to catch a flight on Sunday morning for the onward journey. We wanted to make the best use of Saturday and have a chilled out weekend and the responsibility for the planning was given to me.

The plan was to leave from Mumbai Airport 9:00 PM and drive to the location, spend Saturday there and leave after dinner at 9:00 PM for Mumbai to catch early Morning flight on Sunday. Few options considered were Alibaug (dropped due to my apprehensions about road conditions for a night drive), Lonavala (Already visited quite a few times, and it not being Monsoon season the attraction was less). Any other option involved too long driving hours to have a relaxed weekend.

So, after considering all the options decided to visit Palghar, as it was on NH48 and having already been on that highway I knew night driving will not be an issue for me on that road. Booked a hotel room near Kelwa Beach. Searched and book marked all the homely sea food joints in the area and we were all set for the weekend. I picked up my friends from Mumbai Airport and we started towards NH48 from Western Express Highway. Just to confirm, again called online hotel aggregator for booking confirmation and to my utter surprise they informed me that the hotel is sold out!

Customer support person offered alternative hotels which were ~30 Kms from the original location, so dropped the plan and we started looking for other options. We were able to find a hotel at reasonable price in Daman, so the destination was updated on Google maps to Daman!

Stopped for a quick dinner at Bhiwandi Dhaba which took us around one and a half hour because we ate to our hearts content and tried many dishes. The restaurant is highly recommended. I specially like Chana Koliwada (chana-Lehsun) as basic starter, mutton clear soup (with strong taste of dissolved bone marrow) and Gurda- Bheja Tawa Masala Fry. It is a good option for driving down for a weekend dinner for Mumbaikars.

Started from Bhiwandi Dhaba at around 12:00 midnight and reached hotel in Daman at around 2:00 AM.

Next day visited few places like St. Jerome Fort, Nani Daman Jetty, Devka Beach, Moti Daman Beach, Bom Jesus Church (built in 1603 AD). Ended the day with sunset at Jampore beach while devouring delicious seafood at the beach side shacks.

Few Pictures:

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222122205.jpg
Saint Jerome's Fort

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222122019.jpg
Nani Daman Jetty (Infront of St Jerome Fort)

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222123142.jpg
Church of Our Lady of the Sea, inside the fort compound

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222173310.jpg
Car parked in the backdrop of Moti Daman Fort

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222171726.jpg
Bom Jesus Church, build in 1603 AD, had beautiful carvings inside, photography was not allowed inside

Daman in less than 24 hours-img20200222182151.jpg
Sunset at Jampore Beach

Started at 10:00 PM from Daman and reached Mumbai Airport at 02:00 AM after driving leisurely with few tea stops.

Conclusion:

I felt Daman is a nice location if you just want to get away from Mumbai. Can spend a laid back weekend here. Not great in terms of tourist locations. Beaches are also nothing special. But you can drive on one of the best roads, specially the road along with Moti Daman beach. No issue of finding a parking, no parking fee anywhere. Just go there with friends have good food and relax.
MadTitan47 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th April 2021, 16:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Daman in less than 24 hours

Bumping up an old thread. Any pointers as to the restrictions in Daman for visitors from Maharashtra? I am planning to visit for a couple of days during the next week. And also the best route to take from Pune. Thanks.
Old 9th April 2021, 06:55   #3
BHPian

Re: Daman in less than 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
Bumping up an old thread. Any pointers as to the restrictions in Daman for visitors from Maharashtra? I am planning to visit for a couple of days during the next week. And also the best route to take from Pune. Thanks.
Until last month third week there were no restrictions. I traveled on the Pune-Silvassa stretch atleast some 8 times and on none of the occasions there were any checks anywhere for covid. Yes, there are checks for liquor while exiting Daman / Silvassa.
Since the situation has worsened now, I am not sure if the latest and greatest. However, from what I have been reading / hearing in the news, there are no restrictions on travel until you follow the night curfew timings.

As for the best route-

Pune Mumbai express way > Turn off right to take Thane route > Airoli > Thane > Ghodbunder > Daman

After the Mulund toll, right till start of the Ghodbunder ghat, metro work is under way. Stick to the left most lane and you should be fine.

Again, after crossing the Vasai creek, just before McDonald's, a flyover is under construction and sees some traffic jams. Post that it's a smooth sail right till Daman
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks