Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Why should boys have all the fun? A road-trip with 5 lifelong friends

Sir you are a true inspiration. Very well written travelogue , went through every bit and enjoyed it thoroughly. Wishing you pull on more such trips probably every six months you must re group.

Absolutely agree about the comfort and fun we can have with our childhood friends. Am truly blessed to be living with most of them even now.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 13:48   #17
BHPian

Thanks for sharing such a heartwarming story of friendship & travel. Childhood friends are truly special & you have captured the magic of this friendship.

After reading your travelogue, I realized while I joined Team-BHP for a shared love of Automobiles, it is the travelogues I am especially drawn to. Through the eyes of TBHPians, I have come to know of unspoiled & pristine locations all across India. I tell myself someday I will visit them, then along comes a post like yours which tells me the time to visit is now. So thanks for waking me up.

Too many people these days, travel for the sake of Facebook. Or to elaborate - travel only to those locations which look good on Instagram & FB. I find it shallow & defeats the sense of adventure & discovery in real traveling.

I look forward to your future travelogues & that of TBHPians.
laser2707 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 14:31   #18
BHPian

Man o man, what a travelogue. More than the destination, it was the journey and the choice of phrases that floored me. Kudos to you and your mates for making this trip and, in turn, giving us a glimpse of how friendship can be fulfilled. You have made clear, both in words and pictures, that age is just a number !!

have fun, live life and keep traveling.
madhukriss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 16:53   #19
G-2

Thank you sir for a lovely read!! In the midst of everything that's happening world over, was a nice change to read something so fresh and inspiring!
G-2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 16:54   #20
BHPian

This brought a smile on to my face today. There is no better feeling than being on a road trip with your closest buddies from childhood. It was such a joy seeing all those happy faces in the pics.

Cheers and much love to the gang. Let the good times keep rolling in !

Regards.
dtox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 18:40   #21
BANNED

Just a simple sentence....

An Awesome travelogue....!!!!
pd_scorpio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 21:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Inspirational. Loved the wry humour!
The style is reminiscent of Mr Mathrubootham in 'Letters from a Concerned Reader'
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 10:25   #23
BHPian

Ganapathy Sir,

That was a fantastic travelogue packed with a lot of emotion. Although it is difficult to coordinate, there is nothing as satisfying as traveling with old college or school friends. This is one group where we can be our silly selves, without having to keep up appearances.
I am in my early 40s, and my college gang of friends, we are 5 boys and 5 girls, still meet up once a year or once in two years and go somewhere with the families for a couple of days. As our friends are spread across different geographies, 1 or 2 of our friends, miss it sometimes, or cannot make it every single year, but they make up for it the next year and such like.

I could not have read your travelogue at a more opportune time. I am a doctor, an orthopaedic surgeon and have always worked in the corporate healtcare sector after my training abroad. This involves 6 day working weeks with long hours and oncall covers over weekend, so on and so forth. I am a few days away from giving up my present hectic job and moving into a more free lancing, less time intensive and demanding role. I feel that this rat race and pursuit of material wealth is having an effect on our health and well being, also less time with the kids and spouse, hence this decision.

With regards to traveling,having fun and enjoying the simple pleasures of life, it is never too late to enjoy it. Hope you continue your travels and share the journeys with us.
I love your style of narration as well. So thank you once more and keep it coming.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 12:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
You and your mates really rock Ganapathy Sir! That was a very inspiring read. Beautifully written account, reflecting your inconsolable longing for the simplest pleasures of life and the missed chances. Afterall what's the fun in trying to conform with the societal norms? Your children and grand children should be proud of you. Love and respect from yet another poor soul running the corporate rate race. Keep more of those travelogues coming.Wishing you Godspeed and Good Luck!
Thank you Blackblade for the kind words and wishes. God willing, do hope to do a few more trips with my friends. Thanks once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Inspiring, very few are fortunate to travel with childhood friends all along.

A well planned trip with so many spots covered in a short time. This combined with a beautiful theme and exceptional writing deserves 5 stars. TUV300 must have been a great rugged companion to seat 5 comfortably. I am sure we have good fans of TUV300 here in the travelogue section.

Kudos to your spirits. Your energy is evident from choices of vehicle colors, it hasn’t diminished; be it 2005 or 2020.

PS: Since you are from Chennai, the travelogue reminds a Tamil movie Pa Paandi.
Thanks Thermodynamics for your kind words of appreciation. Am really grateful. Sorry, I have not seen "Pa Pandi'. Will do so at the earliest

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Glad to see that you guys are firmly on the path of self actualisation. Not many handle the transition from an active working life to a retired one smoothly and without misgivings. One of the most enjoyable things that my wife and i pursue is travel ( i used to hate it when i was working). We travel with friends, on our own, with family and even with 'difficult' acquaintances.

Childhood friends show you a mirror- you may not like what is reflected at times- but you become a better person due to it.

Keep bonding and good luck. If the Famous Five comes to A'bad, you will surely get a meal here, and filter kapi.
Thanks earthian for your kind words and offer of a meal and filter kapi. I hope one day my friends and I can come to A'bad and take up that offer I wish you all the best Sir and it is great and inspiring to hear that you travel so frequenntly. " Childhood friends show you a mirror "you have expressed it so beautifully. Thank you once again and God Bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
That is a wonderful trip and a write up. Friendships lasting over decades is a big boon in life. I am glad that you were able to go on trips and I am sure that you will have many more trips like this. It would be even more fun once the wives also join. I am also about 60 and have gang of a few classmates and we travel at least once a year and we do that with our wives and sometimes some of the children(grownup by now) accompany us and it is so much of fun.
Thank you Sir. Am really envious of you, considering that you are able to travel together as families with children. We are aspiring to reach there some day. Thank you for your kind words Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Great write up Mr. Ganapathy. First the Dominar travelogue and now this. You seem to set the bar higher for other young gentlemen like yourself. Its one thing to be blessed with great buddies during your wonder years and another thing to be in touch with them even after so many years. All the best and hoping to see many such travelogues in future.

Gist of the entire post :
Thank you Srini for your kind words.
Yes, we are indeed fortunate that we could meet after all these years and manage to take a trip together. Hopefully we should manage a few more. Thanks once again and wish you all the very best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
This is not a travelogue, this is an ocean of emotions, it's an epitome of story telling. There were many instances where I had tears in my eyes, such was the connection I had while reading through. I can so relate to the reality you have just described, I'm in my mid 20s and I can already see my friends traversing different path in search of better opportunities. Once what meant the entire world to me are busy running after life, including me. Once, when not speaking to them for a day was unbearable for me and now, I find it difficult to spare 10 minutes for a phone call. Your words proved to be such a revelation that it made me started questioning our unending quest for that ultimate goal. I can't be thankful enough for such a wonderful insight Sir.
Thank you Sachin for your kind words. Your situation is so familiar. We all shared similar experiences. All I can request you and all your friends is, please make that extra effort to stay in touch. The beauty of childhood friendship is, even if you are meeting after years, all you need to do is, chat up for half an hour and catch up on the missed years. Suddenly, all the years in between will vanish and it will seem as if you were in touch all along. Take care and Wishing you and your friends all the very best in life God Bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Great story ganesh sir. Yes there just is something about childhood friends that nothing else can match upto.

I'm in my college days now, I hope I am as happy as you are by the time I'm your age.
Thank you Sai SW. for your kind words of appreciation. I am sure you will be far more happier than I am, in the days and years to come. I wish you all the very best in your life. God Bless
Ganapathy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:01   #25
BHPian

Thank you so much Ganapathy, for this fabulous part memoir, part travelogue. It felt like a family friend was telling me a story.

Spending time with friends is one of the best ways to make yourself happier. After starting your family, extra effort needs to be made to make this happen. Effort that's well worth it.

The following passages made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganapathy View Post

I then travelled abroad in search of a better life (read as a better salary).

Now in normal circumstances holding my ground is not my forte, especially considering the class of opposition here. However, this was anything but normal circumstances, this was a test of my unique preference. I did the unthinkable. I stood my ground.

It is indeed one of Life’s cruel tragedies that the closest friends that you grew up with, the guys who stood by you bravely when the aunty down the road hurled the choicest abuses in Tamil at you for breaking her window pane for the umpteenth time just disappear from your life later on .

As soon as you reach a certain stage in Life, you suddenly realize that the basic premise on which your entire life philosophy was based on, was grievously flawed. Unfortunately, life’s wisdom dawns slowly and a major portion of life has flown past until this eureka moment strikes us. For many of us who live life in pursuit of self-inflicted material goals , An apartment , a car , ………so on and so forth and keep on postponing the little joys and pleasures of life till it is achieved are sadly mistaken for once they reach their material target they more often than not realize that the proverbial goal post has shifted , it is now a larger apartment or maybe a villa, a SUV .

Missed chances .... the story of my life.

When a major portion of your life has passed, or just about getting there , when you have just retired from active corporate life , the lack of the daily mad rush, abundance of time to contemplate, the sudden absence of the trapping of power that you enjoyed during your corporate life creates just a wee bit, if not more, feeling of insecurity even amongst the most hard headed person. Retirement, I have just come to realize like zillions before me is not an easy transition to make, financial security not with-standing. When you are feeling just a bit down and vulnerable, nothing like a good old friend to ridicule you over some grossly exaggerated misadventure a few decades ago to bring a smile to your face.

More often than not, we get caught in the meaningless drudgery of day to day life and forget the simple joys and pleasures of life. It is only among childhood friends that you can be yourself without any fear of being judged. It does not matter if you were a top Banker or a top shot CEO, you will still be addressed by your nickname, which more often than not is a wee bit derogatory, You will be laughed at and ridiculed bordering on insulting with absolutely no malicious intent, just pure fun . We had plenty of that in the few days we spent together. It is only towards the end of the trip, I realized how lucky we were to have shared our entire lives together, not many get to do it with the same friends.

Last edited by evil_grin : 13th March 2020 at 13:04.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 13:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Having been guilty of all of the above and much more, I and my friend here in Chennai (Vicha) had recently embarked on a journey of self- actualisation (if you can call it that) and had been planning a road trip for some time. ATTACH=FINAL ADUIEU.jpg]1978867[/ATTACH]
Fortunate to have been a part of this historic journey of the "Famous Five" gang, now made famous thanks to the wonderful pennings of our dear friend Ganpa, who had chiseled so much passion and emotion into his words. The reading of this Travalogue in itself was an experience, which brought back great memories of all the phases of the time we spent together, including the a road trip to Kone Falls we all undertook about 35 long years back...

I am really enthused by the raving and touching reviews of fellow BHPians and am further motivated to embark upon our passion, of course duly accompanied by our writer par excellence Ganpa, aka "Pa Pandi" !!

Thanks guys!! And thanks Ganpa!!
Viswam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:29   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
You sir, are an inspiration. This is yet another testament to the fact that while growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional.

Your post reverberates a lot more because I recently, after a break of over a decade, got connected back with my childhood friends and schoolmates with whom I grew up in Dubai. Had lost touch because, well, life. We've already managed three get-togethers in one year. Catching up on lost times and making new friends who were in the same class as I.

Wish you and your friends many many such adventures. Oh and for your next vehicle, do look at the Isuzu stable
Thank you Tassem for your kind words. Wishing you a Happy reunion with all your friends . God Bless. Yes,I will definitely consider the Isuzu when I change my vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
Wonderful story Mr Ganesh. Thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. My retirement too is fast approaching. I think I am better prepared for having read this now. It brought back many memories and regrets. Thanks for sharing.

One more thing: You don't look a day older than 40. The years had been extremely kind to you. Stay blessed.
. Thank you Enobarbus for your kind words of appreciation. I wish you a very Happy retired life in the future and God Bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Thank you for this unique perspective and making me re-think some of my choices. I am in my mid 30s, stuck in the daily grind, one of those guys who has plenty of unused leave balance and niggles (in the body) starting to creep up. Hope to have as eventful a retirement as you and may be a few more adventures along the way.
Thanks Charan Reddy for your kind words. I wish you a very happy and successful career as well as a fun and adventure filled life. Take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
Wow, this is one of the best threads I've come across on this forum. Sir, as an 18 year old, I would like to say that you live life much more joyfully than my generation, I hope to age with grace like you have, and have such an amazing group of friends like yours.

My parents are from Chennai, but I was born and raised in Gurgaon and I don't know a single word of Tamil!
Hi - Thank you BZ25 for your kind words of appreciation. You are just beginning your life at 18 , so forget about ageing . Just go out and have a blast my friend. Create some of your best memories now, which you can relive in you mind decades later. The best memories of my life are those of my school and College days. I wish you all the very best . God Bless. By the way, Welcome to the club . I cannot read and write Tamil myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJQIL87 View Post
Wonderful Sir!
Nice to see that you people are keeping that friendship even after many years.
Also, TUV300 in red looks very aggressive
Thank you SJQIL87 for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
The last photo with those beautiful words was like the icing in the cake. You are truly blessed to have your childhood friends with you. Starting off with your choice of cars and finally what a climax.

FundaG
Thanks FundaG for your kind words of appreciation. Yes, I suppose I am truly fortunate. Thank you once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
Sirs, you folks inspire all of us with your spirit.

It was a narrow miss of the Wild dog (Dhole) hunt you had during the boat ride. They are among the most successful hunters of Indian forest
. Thank you Gadadhar for your kind words. It was indeed quite a spectacle to witness. I guess we were lucky.
Ganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 16:32   #28
BHPian

Sir a fantastic thread indeed. Have shared it with my 5 close friends with a caption "Reminds me of us" We usually go on a road trip every 3 years for the past 20 yrs or so and hoping to do that for ever just like the way you have done. I 200% agree to that nickname part as we still address the way we used to do in college 23 yrs ago whenever we speak.

Thanks for sharing!
smrtdvl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 19:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
As soon as you reach a certain stage in Life, you suddenly realize that the basic premise on which your entire life philosophy was based on, was grievously flawed. Unfortunately, life’s wisdom dawns slowly ...
It's a brilliant one. I hope, we can grasp the true meaning of the wisdom that you have shared with us. As you have conveyed, it is easy to "know" a lesson but comprehending it within ourselves is often the key step.

I hope you will continue with your adventures and share some of those beautiful moments with us.

Thanks,
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 09:39   #30
BHPian

What a wonderful post Ganapathy sir. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful experience with us. Loved the font you used in the pictures for the text. It's crisp and artistic. I always tell myself that the real friends are those who know you since childhood because then you did not wear a mask of social acceptance. You were friends for no reason and that was so beautiful. Most friendships as you grow up tend to be around mutual convince and social status. They fade away as you age and the old friends shine like forgotten diamonds in the rough.
akshay_ritz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks