Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 14:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Kashmir Great Lakes Trek - My 1st raw experience in the mighty Himalayas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst89 View Post
The main reason Kashmir great lakes trek is challenging is that it involves covering huge distances everyday. Also you got beautiful weather most of the duration of the trek except one day or else it drizzles endlessly here.
Thank you so much for kind words. I second your thoughts, when it comes to distance that needs to be covered on daily basis. Infact, we found mismatch between the trail distance provided by various trek organisers and what we've actually recorded, through multiple applications on our respective cellphones.

Quote:
I am seeing positive reviews of trekking with two poles from everyone. I will try it next time on a Himalayan trek.
As far as two poles are concerned, following are my observations:-
  • Two poles helps in distribute weight evenly, throughout the body. (using a 1 pole is like, holding a 5 Kg bag, only in 1 hand for longer duration)
  • For the best results, depending on the terrain (uphill or downhill), it's advisable to adjust the height of your poles. Adjustment should such that, while walking your forearms remain perpendicular at angle of 90 degree.
  • Additionally if possible, try using 'anti-shock'' trekking poles, your knees would thank you bigtime on those long downhill passes. Trust me when I say this, after completion, I haven't faced any knee pain or for that matter any pain across the body.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 13th April 2020 at 14:44.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 19:12   #17
Team-BHP Support

I am someone who prefers reading a travelogue which is done in a car or on a motorcycle, this was an awesome exception. I really liked your detailed inputs, superb pictures and the narration.

Thanks [again] for sharing this wonderful travelogue.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 20:18   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw the title and I scrolled down to glance at the pics! Got blown away by the pics you shared! Logged in, rated 5* & then I read the whole travelogue.
It's brilliant.

I envy you man. Trekking is never my cup of tea and I feel sad, I will never be seeing these beautiful places through my eyes! So thanks a lot for sharing.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 21:51   #19
BHPian

Right at the same time (22nd July 2019), I was doing my first Himalayan High Altitude trek too, that too in Kashmir, but with my dodgy fitness levels, I wasn't as adventurous. I did the Tarsar Marsar trek, with Indiahikes. And it was the most unbelievable experience for me.

For folks who would want to get started into Himalayan Trekking, would certainly recommend Tarsar Marsar. The distances are shorter and the terrain is not as tough. And almost as beautiful. Of course, weather in the hills are quite unpredictable and we had 3 days of clear weather, followed by 3 days of wet weather, including one day of non-stop downpour for ~6 hours, thankfully on our descent. More than anything, trekking with wet clothes does take a toll (more mental than physical), but the valleys and meadows are just incredibly beautiful and the magical sights just drive away any worries.

The base camp for Tarsar Marsar trek is at Aru, another unbelievably beautiful location in Kashmir, just ahead of the more-touristy Pahalgam. A lot of shooting of "Bajrangi Bhaijaan" happened in Aru. Every villager here has an extremely prized selfie with Bhai. This place is picture-perfect. Wouldn't want to hijack this thread with pics from here, but most folks who saw pics from Aru Valley would think its from somewhere in Switzerland.

2019, was an year when I started working seriously on my fitness (am asthamatic, diabetic and have a ligament tear in my left ankle). It was my new-year resolution to do a trek, and in 6-months was able to do Tarsar Marsar. For those still having second thoughts, please please please experience Kashmir and what it has to offer - from the unbelievable and warm hospitality of the Kashmiris, to the simply unmatched beauty of the Kashmir Meadows, it is truly an experience not to be missed out on.

Certainly will try KGL sometime in the future. Too many trekking destinations on the bucket list.

Last edited by sachinayak : 13th April 2020 at 21:54.
sachinayak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 10:38   #20
BHPian

Absolutely loved this travelogue - especially the beautiful pictures. Some positivity to bring given the current situation in country. Especially loved the clear and crisp view of stars and Milky Way in the photos. I am surprised that the photos have come so clear with mobile phone camera - reason being - I am myself an amateur astronomer and have a telescope "Celestron with 150mm lens" and I still sometimes struggle to get clear pictures of night sky. Awesome pics and great travelogue
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 12:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am someone who prefers reading a travelogue which is done in a car or on a motorcycle, this was an awesome exception.
Happy to know that you enjoyed reading the travelogue. I second your thought, addiction to a road trip is hard to explain. I mean there's no second alternative to the pleasure, which is derived from a car or motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I saw the title and I scrolled down to glance at the pics! Got blown away by the pics.
Thank you for the kind words Samba. Hope it was good enough to make you feel part of the mountains virtually.

Quote:
Trekking is never my cup of tea and I feel sad, I will never be seeing these beautiful places through my eyes! So thanks a lot for sharing.
On this "Never say never". I'm sure you would be able to take such expeditions, after preparing yourself. I see you as one able photographer who can do justice, in order to capture the sheer beauty of those mountains. It's the state of mind which takes you to beautiful places, for example, the challenge is never about running 5 km every day but the bigger challenge lies in pulling ourselves, out of the bed early in the morning. I wish you all the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
For folks who would want to get started into Himalayan Trekking, would certainly recommend Tarsar Marsar. Certainly will try KGL sometime in the future. Too many trekking destinations on the bucket list.
Thank you Sachin for this wonderful piece of information, it was a pleasure reading this & glad to know that even after your health issues, you've attempted the trek. Such posts do bring that desirability to go on an adventure. I would request you to write a travelogue on 'Tarsar-Marsar' trek, I'm sure it would inspire many. I would surely recommend 'Tarsar Marsar' to beginner trekkers. All the best for KGL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Some positivity to bring given the current situation in country. Especially loved the clear and crisp view of stars and Milky Way in the photos. Awesome pics and great travelogue
Thank you, the message has been passed on to the person who captured them. We made use of 'Pro' mode, which is there in most of the cellphones these days.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 16:51   #22
BHPian

Fabulous Trekkalog. The pictures are a treat for landscape lovers. Well written, tons of information and the opening with saying of Ibn-Batuta was class. The photo from the first day, "Rainbow over Dal lake" had me hooked and then on it was an avalanche of sceneries. Thanks for sharing, rating it a well deserved 5 stars.

On a side note, may be I missed, could you please share details of trek organizers and costs breakup so it would be useful for interested readers.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 14th April 2020 at 16:54.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Been there, done that! And we also did it in Mid July when the weather conditions were almost similar to what you have experienced. Its one of the best trekking experiences I have had in my life. Thanks for capturing your experience and sharing!
prajakt_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 22:32   #24
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience @Aniruddha_Ch - I relived my experience with your photo-logue. Excellent photos -especially tents in Milkyway backdrop!

If I may share, here is a pic of one of the last lakes:

Kashmir Great Lakes Trek - My 1st raw experience in the mighty Himalayas-kashmir.jpg
somspaple is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
Thanks for sharing, rating it a well deserved 5 stars. On a side note, may be I missed, could you please share details of trek organizers and costs breakup so it would be useful for interested readers.
Thanks a lot Thermodynamics, for the compliments. As requested following is breakup of all the expenses, that I've incurred:-
  • Trek organiser charge- Rs.12,500 (From the start point of the trek to endpoint).
    Name of trek organiser- Owlet outdoors, Mumbai
    It includes all days of tent accommodation, food, trek guide etc. Mule/ charges were around Rs. 250 per day (might vary), though I haven't used one so this is not applicable.
  • Flights- Rs.9500 (Mumbai to Srinagar round trip, booked 2.5 months. before the trek).
  • Local transport- Rs.1000 (includes airport pick/drop, 2-way transport from trek's start/endpoint & Innova for local sightseeing).
  • Food & accommodation- Rs. 3500 (Inclusive of all the expenses incurred for a stay before & after trek along with food or any other miscellaneous expense).
TOTAL EXPENDITURE- Rs. 26,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajakt_23 View Post
Been there, done that! And we also did it in Mid July when the weather conditions were almost similar to what you have experienced. Its one of the best trekking experiences I have had in my life. Thanks for capturing your experience and sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience @Aniruddha_Ch - I relived my experience with your photo-logue.
Thank you guys, glad to know that you had a similar experience.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 15th April 2020 at 14:32.
Aniruddha_Ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 15:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience @Aniruddha_Ch - I relived my experience with your photo-logue. Excellent photos -especially tents in Milkyway backdrop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruddha_Ch View Post
Thank you guys, glad to know that you had a similar experience.

You folks are blessed! Amazing place and amazing pictures.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You folks are blessed! Amazing place and amazing pictures.
Thanks! and I've few more pics too
My experience was bit more 'adventurous' back then owing few circumstances - I did it in 2013.

PS: Now even I'm thinking of posting my travelogue [or more of a photo-logue] in this section! But need get the information/pic from a different forum where I had recorded my trek back then.
somspaple is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 18:30   #28
BHPian

Absolutely loved the write-up and the beautiful pictures. Reminded me of the good 'ol days when I used to go on regular 'treks' in these areas. Despite the high difficulty level of our 'treks', I still remember stopping and admiring the beauty of nature around me. It's absolutely stunning and somehow gets even more beautiful during winters when everything is covered in snow. Thank you for the wonderful write-up and the fantastic pictures.
GauravTaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 12:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
I still remember stopping and admiring the beauty of nature around me. It's absolutely stunning and somehow gets even more beautiful during winters when everything is covered in snow. Thank you for the wonderful write-up and the fantastic pictures.
Thank you Gaurav. As far as I learned, this particular trek is not open during winter season, moreover skiing is being practiced in aforementioned season.

Last edited by Aniruddha_Ch : 23rd April 2020 at 12:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks