Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2021, 22:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Knee bursting, toe crushing, back breaking trek into heaven - Kashmir!

I have tried trekking 3-4 times in my life (simple few hour treks). On every single instance, I have just managed to scrap through and somehow come back alive. So now I stick to bike rides only. It's photologues like these which remind me of what I am missing.

Truly breath-taking captures. Envy you for experiencing it in-person whereas I am looking at it through a glass screen. On the other hand, the thread title clearly tells us what you had to endure for enjoying this privilege in the laps of mother nature.

I have been to Kashmir once and your thread took me back to 'heaven on earth' again for a few moments. Thanks for sharing
"Agar firdaus bar roo-e zameen ast,
Hameen ast-o hameen ast-o hameen ast."

English Translation:
If there is a paradise on earth,
It is this, it is this, it is this”
― Amir Khusrau

Last edited by warrioraks : 22nd May 2021 at 22:04.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 06:36   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for sharing such a detailed travelogue on what is one of the most sought after places to visit in every traveller's list - The Great Lakes Trek.

I always had this opinion that Tarsar Marsar is much more scenic than Great Lakes, this is based on listening to multiple first hand experiences of people who have done both the treks as well as based on some travel articles that I've come across in the past.

Now while going through your travelogue, I kept on wondering that if Great Lakes looks so fabulous and stunning, is Tarsar Marsar really more beautiful. Maybe only a personal experience could solve this query.

Vishansar or MJ Lake looks scintillating from your pictures. Two things that I've heard from everyone who has done Great Lakes Trek is - one it is the prettiest trek they have ever been on, second each day the number of hours of walking is enormous and really tires you out. I think you would agree to this !

Last edited by //M : 23rd May 2021 at 06:37.
//M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I have tried trekking 3-4 times in my life (simple few hour treks). On every single instance, I have just managed to scrap through and somehow come back alive. So now I stick to bike rides only. It's photologues like these which remind me of what I am missing.

Truly breath-taking captures. Envy you for experiencing it in-person whereas I am looking at it through a glass screen. On the other hand, the thread title clearly tells us what you had to endure for enjoying this privilege in the laps of mother nature.

I have been to Kashmir once and your thread took me back to 'heaven on earth' again for a few moments. Thanks for sharing
"Agar firdaus bar roo-e zameen ast,
Hameen ast-o hameen ast-o hameen ast."

English Translation:
If there is a paradise on earth,
It is this, it is this, it is this”
― Amir Khusrau
Thanks for the kind words. If you like trekking, keep attempting those small treks. Once you get a hang of it you can plan for longer ones. But rule that should be followed in high altitude region is acclimatization. Always have few buffer days to get acclimatized at base-camp before you start your ascent. That way YHA[youth hostel association] conducts treks very methodically. But they treat you pretty much like school kids and if you are ok to put up with that it's a great experience. But I don't think YHA conducts Great Lakes trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Thank you for sharing such a detailed travelogue on what is one of the most sought after places to visit in every traveller's list - The Great Lakes Trek.

I always had this opinion that Tarsar Marsar is much more scenic than Great Lakes, this is based on listening to multiple first hand experiences of people who have done both the treks as well as based on some travel articles that I've come across in the past.

Now while going through your travelogue, I kept on wondering that if Great Lakes looks so fabulous and stunning, is Tarsar Marsar really more beautiful. Maybe only a personal experience could solve this query.

Vishansar or MJ Lake looks scintillating from your pictures. Two things that I've heard from everyone who has done Great Lakes Trek is - one it is the prettiest trek they have ever been on, second each day the number of hours of walking is enormous and really tires you out. I think you would agree to this !
Thank you!

I wasn't aware of Tarsar Marsar lake trek. But even in case Great Lakes trek - the last day lakes can be accessed through a shorter trek. We encountered few trekkers coming from opposite direction as we were descending through the woods - they said it was a popular short trek destination among localites.

Again trek itself wasn't very difficult as compared to other treks I've been on. Sadly for me due to lack of acclimatization, I suffered from AMS for first couple of days. If we were to proceed as per original plan which had first day's camp much higher altitude, I would've been OK I guess.
Old 13th October 2021, 14:49   #19
BHPian

Just brilliant.The bullets in the air and tear gas shells experience is so scary especially in Kashmir!

The AMS factor as I saw with my tent mate can even be life threatening but is also easily treatable as long as you identify it as AMS.

Photos are seriously breathtaking.

My experience with YHAI has also been very nice and this time the TTH team was practically along side us during the entire trek.

Being avid car and bike lovers as team bhp members it must still be said that after discovering the joys of trekking the truly best way to explore virgin beauty of nature is only by foot.
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayols View Post
Just brilliant.The bullets in the air and tear gas shells experience is so scary especially in Kashmir!

The AMS factor as I saw with my tent mate can even be life threatening but is also easily treatable as long as you identify it as AMS.

Photos are seriously breathtaking.

My experience with YHAI has also been very nice and this time the TTH team was practically along side us during the entire trek.

Being avid car and bike lovers as team bhp members it must still be said that after discovering the joys of trekking the truly best way to explore virgin beauty of nature is only by foot.
Thanks!
I agree 100% - trekking allows for experiencing real 'uncharted' territory. Thank god they are difficult - else all these beautiful places will turn out like Ladakh [referring to littering menace and traffic after improved connectivity].
Old 14th October 2021, 19:28   #21
BHPian

Couldn’t agree more that the remoteness ad difficulty levels continue to keep these places still pristine.

Haven’t been to Ladakh but instead opted for the Spiti drive which thankfully still remained relatively untouched the last time I had been there.

Hmm trying my luck also to entice my wife and daughter to join for the long treks.For the shorter ones they are game .
vijayols is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks