Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2020, 23:50   #1
BHPian

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham

Every year, we stay at our home and celebrate Holi. But this year decided to travel West Bengal hill stations. When I announced the plan to my family, they got excited because we love hill drives over other tours. We are a family of five persons(Myself with wife, Debjit(brother) with wife and daughter(12yrs). As per the plan, we packed up our luggage as less it could be and stepped into the car on 6th March'20 evening at 5.30 pm.

Vehicle: Innova Crysta GX Manual

Departure: Our first stop was Azad Hind Dhaba for dinner, which is familiar to maximum roadies travelling to Siliguri at night. This dhaba cook Punjabi food deliciously. Had some chicken Butter Masala and Butter naan to fuel the energy for the night drive. After dinner, we commenced our journey to Siliguri via Moregram, Malda, Raigunj, Islampur.

Day 1: Checked in at Hotel Malisca at Siliguri at around 8.30 am. For the last few trips, I prefer to stay at this hotel due to its position. It is located just at the junction of Sevoke road with proper parking facility. After breakfast, we went for a short nap to overcome the lag due to the night's drive. As we did not want to make this tour very hectic, so we kept it a lazy activity throughout the journey. Though toured twice in between still, I always try to get some opportunity to visit Mirik. I decided to leave for Mirik at noon. After a few photoshoots, we strolled through the pine walkaway crossing the Bridge. Our kid enjoyed the place too much as it was her first time. After sunset, we headed for the hotel. Let's have some pictures from Mirik
The Bridge above the lake
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi4.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi7.jpg
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-img_20200306_171317.jpg
Sunset near Mirik
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi77.jpg

Day 2: Woke up late as we were supposed to visit Kalimpong, which is barely 90 mins from Siliguri. So took our time had breakfast and started around 10.30 am. Reached Kalimpong safely and checked in to Sinclairs Retreat. Excellent property with adequate provisions for all generations. We chose the day to visit nearby places by walking. So after lunch, we left for a walk around the area. Unfortunately, due to sudden rain, we had to return to the hotel.
Sinclairs Retreat at night
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi12.jpg

Day 3: We kept this day for sight scene around Kalimpong.
Places to visit:
1 Deolo Park
2. Durpin Dara Hill
3. Dr Graham's Home
4. Pine View Nursery
5. Kalimpong Science Centre.
First to Deolo Park. Heard about this place a lot from fellow visitors—a beautiful scenic place to stroll around with a view of Kanchendzonga range in a cloudless day. Out of bad luck from last day, we saw glimpses of the Lord, i.e. Mt Kanchendzonga for few mins behind the cloud. One point to mention here is there is a parking issue. If you have booked in WBTDC Guesthouse inside Deolo park you are allowed to take your vehicle inside. Otherwise, you have to park outside, which is not that tough if any fellow travels driver allows you.
Our next stop was Durpin Dara Hill viewpoint. Again saw nothing from there due to fog and mist all around. Then we visited Pine View Nursery. We liked the place very much. Few rare cactus plants found there. After taking a few snaps, we left for our next destination. But unfortunately, Kalimpong Science Centre was closed that day, so we came back to the hotel by dusk. Next day we planned to move to Dooars. But after calling the resort manager at dooars, we came to know that Jungle Safari is closed due to Holi. So as there is no use of visiting dooars without jungle safari, we decided to go to Darjeeling. After searching through Goibibo found two rooms in Sterling resort, Ghum.
Guest House inside Deolo Park
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi15.jpg
Deolo Park view
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi18.jpg
Partial View of Kanchendzonga from Deolo park
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi19.jpg
Cactus at Pine View Nursery
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi22.jpg

Day 4: Reached Darjeeling via Peshok Road. This route is tourists paradise due to its picturesque view. Driving through the Pines and Tea Gardens gives a delightful feeling. After reaching Ghum, the entry road to Sterling resort is a bit tricky. It's a narrow lane on the left side where hardly two SUVs cross side by side. In some places, you have to allocate space by reversing to give way to an opposite approaching vehicle. The weather was gloomy and moist—no vision beyond 200ft. We decided to visit Glenery's in the evening. Due to parking issues in Darjeeling, we decided to book a rented vehicle. But suddenly my Niece's health did not allow to move. We had to cancel our program and stay back at the hotel.

Sterling Resort with my Wife and Sister in law
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi31.jpg
View of Ghum Town from Kanchendzonga Viewpoint at the hotel
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi76.jpg

Day 5: Take every chance in life because you might get it once. I always believed in these words, so without wasting time at bed got up early and hit the viewpoint of the hotel on the rooftop for the first light on Kanchendzonga. After waiting for 15 mins till sunrise came back disappointed getting a birds-eye view of Ghum town only. Actually, by my travel experience, I have observed winter gives a better chance to view Himalayan peaks for sure. Later after lavish complimentary breakfast, we started for Rishyap through Kalimpong, Algarah, 6th-mile. After Algarah, the road condition was average. Last 3kms to Rishyap was very poor due to total broken roads. Our car's suspension got a tough time, and you have to be very careful about dodging an underbelly hit. We stayed at Neora Valley Resort. The position of the resort will make you forget the last lap of the terrible journey to the hotel. Having a cup of coffee on the LawnLawn will make you feel as if hovering in the sky. Later after dusk, the resort staff arranged a bonfire with Chicken Tandoori roasted live. The chill was excellent, ranging around 7°C to 9°C.

Having Coffee with Debjit at Lawn
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi32.jpg
With my Niece enjoying the environment
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi35.jpg
Myself with Brother( Debjit)
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi36.jpg
On Clear Day Kanchendzonga is visible from of the Lawn
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi37.jpg
Neora Valley Resort with our Crysta
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi38.jpg
Bonfire
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi39.jpg

Day 6: Started lazily as our goal was very near to Kolakham. The road from Lava to Kolkham is better now. One of my roadie brother Mr Abhisek Lahiri from Kolkata suggested me this place. Its worth to hear his advice because after reaching the place I felt it a jewel in this part of the state. Cool. A silent, peaceful place where only you will hear the melodious sounds from birds. It is a birding utopia. Appreciated the beauty taking some snaps though I am not a pro photographer. We checked in a homestay named Star Holidays International. The operator is from Kolkata. It is a Duplex accommodation. Clean and all amenities available like other good homestays. They charged Rs 2500/- for shelter and 500/- per head for meals.
Later after lunch started for Changey Falls. A 900ft walking trail from the last motorable point took us to the final score. Visitors percentage was meagre. We enjoyed the trail by cooling our eyes in the lap of raw nature. Took some snaps of the falls and started our return journey to the homestay. In between the trail to the parking, there was a temporary refreshment kiosk for tea, water and juice if required. We booked for a day only in Kolakham. But the place is at least a two-day stay if anybody wants to dip in raw nature without disturbances.
Few photos from Kolkham

Our Homestay( Star International)
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi44.jpg

Walking trail to Changey Falls
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi47.jpg

Changey Falls
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi51.jpg

My Niece in front of Changey Falls

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi52.jpg

Me, Debjit and my Niece
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi78.jpg

Kanchendzonga as viewed from Homestay
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi60.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi41.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi53.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi54.jpg

Day 7: Day to return home. This trip was special to me as we travelled without hurry and decided our destinations daily. Usually, we always make our itinerary fixed with all bookings.
After breakfast and a few photoshoots, we started our journey back home. We took the route via Lava, Gorubathan. Damdim to Siliguri. The road was excellent after 5kms from Lava. Actually, work was going on to widen the highway. Couldn't resist stopping at Gorubathan to take some photos with Tea Gardens. We decided to make it long without any stay in between due to some emergency work at the office. Giving some pit stops for energy and bio breaks, we reached home after midnight. It was a compact and smooth tour which ended smoothly
Some Concluding Pictures
Between Kolakham and Lava
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi63.jpg

Beautiful Landscape of Gorubathan
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-20200312_105402.jpg
Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi67.jpg
Travelmania is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 00:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham

Nicely done short and crisp log, the Lava to Gorubathan stretch is one of the most beautiful drives. Thanks for the log and welcome to the forum ,

Regards.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 12:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham

@Travelmania: Thanks for the crisp, yet detailed travelogue! North Bengal has a special place in our hearts and wherever we may be in the world , at least, one trip in a year, even if it's for a short duration, is a must to the misty hills!

Tip: At Delo, even if you are not staying at WBTDC, but having lunch or a meal, they allow you to park inside. Otherwise no.
Our favourite place at Delo is the Yuru Resort located just before WBTDC a short climb up on the right.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:26   #4

I spent my entire childhood in Kalimpong. I studied at Dr. Graham's Homes Kalimpong.
Your travelogue and those pictures of Deolo made me relive those moments once again. Great pictures taken and nicely written. I would have really loved to see pictures of my school though .
padmanavamandal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 14:34   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your appreciation. Next time shall try Yuru Resort if I visit Deolo. We travel to Sikkim and Darjeeling a lot. I personally never thought of going this side of West Bengal hills. Amazed by the view and nature of Rishyap and Kolakham.
Old 8th May 2020, 15:34   #6
BHPian

Cool & crisp travelogue. Pictures of mountains and roads helps to relax amidst lockdown. Magnificent pictures, especially the lawn at Neora Valley Resort. What a place to have a hot coffee, at 7°C facing Kanchendzonga!
- Rajesh.S
Raaj* is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 16:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Concise travelogue with pics of the quintessential happy family. Enjoyed reading it, and thanks for sharing. Just one thing that made me a little queasy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmania View Post
...the resort staff arranged a bonfire with Chicken Tandoori roasted live.
Even as a committed non-vegetarian, the imagery for me wasn't very appetizing!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 16:40   #8
BHPian

Lovely crisp travelogue and excellent pictures abhijit da. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Welcome to Team-BHP.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Nicely done short and crisp log, the Lava to Gorubathan stretch is one of the most beautiful drives. Thanks for the log and welcome to the forum ,

Regards.
Thanks for appreciating.
Can't resist adding few more snaps of Gorubathan

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi82.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi83.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi84.jpg
Travelmania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 18:20   #10
BHPian

Few More Photos missed in the original post

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi83.jpg

Drive to Kalimpong, Rishyap and Kolakham-holi84.jpg

Last 3kms to Rishyap

Travelmania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 19:04   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You remind me of Sourav Ganguly! In his 1st Test-match he scored a century, that too at Lords.
Your first post in Team-Bhp, that too a travelogue to Himalaya and it's straight into the home page! This speaks a lot!

Quote:
After reaching Ghum, the entry road to Sterling resort is a bit tricky. It's a narrow lane on the left side where hardly two SUVs cross side by side. In some places, you have to allocate space by reversing to give way to an opposite approaching vehicle.
Agree to this 100%. I stayed in this resort during March, 2019. The resort is great but the entry road is a let down. On our return journey, it took me nearly 40 mins to come out of the 1 km long messy traffic jam on this road. Attaching a video of the same -

Last edited by Samba : 8th May 2020 at 19:08.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 19:47   #12
BHPian

Fantastic photos! Thanks for sharing. A very warm welcome to T-BHP dada!

Last edited by mi2n : 8th May 2020 at 19:52.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 20:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Every year, we stay at our home and celebrate Holi. But this year decided to travel West Bengal hill stations. When I announced the plan to my family, they got excited because we love hill drives over other tours.
Vehicle: Innova Crysta GX Manual
Welcome to Team Bhp from another fellow Crysta-ian. A nice travelogue with supporting photographs of wonderful North Bengal and even more happy to see that on a Crysta. I had plans for a Darjeeling trip early May and had to cancel that for COVID. Perhaps a few guidance from you will be useful (mine is GX Auto) on how the car performed on the narrow hilly roads and if anywhere you felt inconvenience.

I have limited experience in self-driving in this terrain and also on the Moregram route overnight, I suppose unless you have upgraded headlamps to projectors its like mine only which are stock for GX, is night driving fine? What speeds did you maintain? Such grand dinner at Azad Hind did not make you feel sleepy?

I noticed you have installed after market Bike protector at the back and custom chrome window strips too. Where did you got these done from and how is the quality? I craved for the Garnet Red color but at the end settled for Silver thinking I may not be able to keep up with the color maintenance.

This angle looks damn majestic. Would love to see more road and car photos if you have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
You remind me of Sourav Ganguly! In his 1st Test-match he scored a century, that too at Lords.
Your first post in Team-Bhp, that too a travelogue to Himalaya and it's straight into the home page! This speaks a lot!
I completely agree with you, and I noticed that there is no Mod-Note for thread movement, which means he may have directly posted here without using Assembly Line to compose. Remarkable indeed. By the way, this video of yours, is this from that famous snow on Tiger Hills trip?

Last edited by haisaikat : 8th May 2020 at 20:20.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 23:00   #14
BHPian

Welcome to TBHP. Nice travelogue. Enjoyed your pictures. Looking at them its evident that you have included the word "travel" as a part of your holiday. Took time to stop & click nice pictures. i'm sure you gonna cherish them in future. Many a times we skip them to save 10 minutes of travel time. Wish you many more miles.
Sujoy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 23:16   #15
BHPian

First of all thanks for appreciating the writeup and photos
1 Crysta functions perfectly on hilly roads except its a 4wd track. You won't feel the lag due to lots of reserve power. Excellent Manoeuvrability makes it easy to spin on bends.
2. Whatever you consume at dinner before drive try to make it less. So you won't feel tired.
3. My High beam is unchanged. Fixed LED in low beam. I only replaced the fog light assembly to projector HID. It gives intense ambient light in front of the car, which allows you to drive in bright ambience.

Roadstar on Anwar Shah Road did the necessary modifications.
Travelmania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks