Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2020, 22:09   #1
BHPian

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I

"If you have a dream, you have to work towards it".

Visiting the heavenly abode of Switzerland is indeed a dream for travelers around the globe. For a lot of them, it remains a distant dream, as travelling to and fro Switzerland including travel within the country, food, hotels and literally everything is expensive.

So, how could visiting the scenic country of Switzerland be even counted as a "dream" for a guy who is brought up in a middle class family, whose entire childhood was spent visiting the relatives during every vacation. Still remember those days, when our teacher in school asked after each long vacation to each student – "Where have you been to during the vacation?" Out came the answers – "Kulu-Manali", "Dalhousie", "Dehradun-Mussoorie", "Darjeeling-Sikkim" etc. But there were many others in the class like me who visited their ancestral homes, but the passion to answer the question and explaining the activities performed in front of the class was no less. Never did I ask my parents to take me to the places I heard in school as, for me, the vacation I spent was the best I could ever imagine. First time I went to the Himalayan region (Lava and Rishap in 2009) was a year after I joined office after graduating from college, tagging my parents along.

At one point of time in very early stage of my career, the economic crisis of 2008-2009 made sure that I remain confused as to where am I headed.
But after persevering for a few more years, I got the lifetime opportunity for a work assignment in Switzerland for a year. I still remember the day when the news was broken in front of me, in an enclosed cabin of the Director. There were a lot of words, advise, guidance etc spoken in the meeting but I couldn’t hear anything after the initial disclosure. I was in a different state altogether, a lot going through my mind, a feeling that still lingers in my memories. On returning to my desk, one of my colleagues came congratulating asking me for a treat and letting me know of the financial gains out of this deputation. A lot of people gathered around me in no time speculating a lot of things, but the only thing my mind was engulfed with at that time, was travel. I asked a simple question – "Will I be able to travel all over Europe with this Schengen Visa?"

This story is a gist of my travel, stay and experiences in Switzerland and the rest of Europe which lasted for around 10 months starting October 2012 (Yes, the duration was shorter than the client expected or the management anticipated, but I will come to that story later ). In this travelogue, I will concentrate on the beautiful places in Switzerland through my eyes, while the journey to the rest of Europe will be covered in a separate travelogue.

Contents

A few teaser pictures to kick off the travelogue.

Tranquility at the village of Hermance
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0770.jpg

Experiencing the Mount Pilatus
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0962.jpg

Grindelwald - The home of Heidi
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1285.jpg

Enroute the top of Europe - Jungfraujoch!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1151.jpg

The legacy of Mount Matterhorn
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1446.jpg

Aareslucht - The hidden treasure of Interlaken
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1194.jpg

The adventurous and bewitching St. Moritz
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0708.jpg

Lavaux vineyards overlooking Lake Léman - A UNESCO world heritage site
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1637.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 13th August 2020 at 22:48.
gearhead_mait is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 03:29   #2
BHPian

Geneva – The city that I once closely associated to!

Going ahead with the travelogue, without mentioning the most beautiful chapter of my life till date, would render the story incomplete. Rewind a year (2011) and I met a girl in the office bus. I am not an introvert, but I do avoid talking to unknown people without any reason. It’s not hard to imagine, that after four years of travelling in the same bus, to and from office, I didn’t find any reason to talk to majority inside the bus. On the other hand, she used to talk to her friends - just out of college days, full of energy. Don’t know why, but I began to sit beside her everyday, in the same seat, barring a few exceptions. But that’s it – I didn’t find any reason either to start any conversation, nor did she cared – at least it seemed so! This continued the same way for 5-6 months - earphones in both of our set of ears and no conversation. Then in March 2012, “Sherdil” – my 2012 Hyundai EON (manufactured in 2011 though) arrived. A month later, I left the office bus. But luckily, she was located in the same office building as mine. So, seeing each other in the office premise, though at a reduced frequency than earlier, was possible. One day, around 3 months from the date of my journey to Swiss, I saw her waiting for the bus while I was starting for home around 8:30 pm. Never before I had asked any girl, but this time with tremendous courage I stopped my car before her and asked if I could drop her home. She was perplexed and started stammering. She made a silly reason and denied my proposal. And having heard “No” for the first time in my life, I zoomed away while it was feeling like fire coming out of my ears and I cursed myself for doing this! I would have never gathered the courage to interact with her again, or for that matter any girl in future proactively. But it was her message in Facebook I received the next day, that eased things up a little. But the shock was too big for me and both of us limited ourselves to friendly interactions over Facebook, post office hours.

Geneva, to me, is the city where it all began! On the later half of October in the year 2012, just after the Durga Puja in Kolkata, I had my flight booked for the travel to Geneva. Being my first experience to board an aircraft, the two stopovers at New Delhi and Zurich was not doing any favor in relieving an already tensed mind. Although, the word "tensed" would not alone justify the mixture of emotions that plagued the state of my mind at that time.

It was a Saturday, probably the last one for the month of October, when my flight took off from Kolkata. After a long stopover of ~6 hours at Delhi, and a long flight hence, I reached Zurich early next morning. It was snowing, the first snowfall of the season in Switzerland, and the first time experiencing snowfall for me as well. While exiting through the aerobridge, I could see snow accumulation at places and the weather was chilly at Zurich. Luckily, the weather was good at Geneva when I reached my ultimate destination in the morning. Friends cum colleagues came to receive me at the Airport, and I still remember to just drop off my luggage at one of my friends house, before venturing outside. The tiredness of the long journey was washed away with the thought of exploring the beautiful city of Geneva. It was a Sunday and majority of the shops remain closed on Sundays in Geneva. But we, a group of friends, went straight towards 'Lac Leman', popularly known as the Geneva Lake. The first day went away in a jiffy, and I was still in a state of disbelief.

The next morning was my first day at client location, but on reaching office I was informed that the background verification was still in process and as per rules, I cannot start work till the checks are done. As it was a process pending on client's end, I was basically on a paid vacation for a few days. A blessing in disguise, I went back to my room, changed to casual clothing, took my camera and went out walking the beautiful city. Though this period lasted for a couple of days, but the love of traveling around started with this couple of days that I spent with myself. There was hardly any weekend that followed, in which I stayed home.

The beautiful architecture of Quai du Mont-Blanc, alongside the Geneva Lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0464.jpg

The beautiful Lac Leman or the Geneva Lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0490.jpg

The famous and engineering masterpiece of Jet d'Eau- symbolic to the city of Geneva
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0486.jpg

The easy going and stress-free lifestyle of the kids in the city
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0452.jpg

A beautiful Cathedral close to Gare Cornavin
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0505.jpg

Gare Cornavin - The busiest square of Geneva with the underground train station
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0443.jpg

One of the many Drinking Fountains found in the city
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0547.jpg

Musée d'Art et d'Histoire (Art and History Museum)
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0553.jpg

Another day and another angle of the Jet d'Eau
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0564.jpg

The famous DDLJ location on the other side of Geneva Lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0968.jpg

Someday, I would cycle a little far from the city, to find a space for myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1256.jpg

And, on some other day just laze by the side of Lake Geneva
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1065.jpg

...Or just gaze at the colors of Nature that soothes the eye!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0996.jpg

Another beautiful corner of the city of Geneva
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0978.jpg

The enormity of Jet d'Eau! One cannot stop, but gaze in awe
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0981.jpg

Some fun ride for the tourists around the Geneva Lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0993.jpg

The large Flower Clock - another emblematic place of visit while in Geneva
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0994.jpg

Some posh hotels in Geneva
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1312.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn2107.jpg

..And the Old Town area
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0512.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0531.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0539.jpg

Having lived in the city for 10 months, I know that the pictures don't do justice to the city. I have seen many aspects of the life in the city, which cannot be photographed nor written down in words. Geneva, to me, is a city of contrasting character in many ways. But it sure is a very expensive city to live in, and just like many big cities, people here lead a bit mechanical lifestyle. Having said that, its one of the best cities for a walk in the night along the Geneva Lake.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 14th August 2020 at 02:37.
gearhead_mait is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:49   #3
BHPian

Geneva – Few wonders lies outside the hustle and bustle!

The beautiful city of Geneva has many attractions within the city limits, but there are a few beautiful places just outside the main city. "La Jonction" or simply "Jonction" is one of them. The junction of rivers Rhone and Arve, the beauty of this place coupled with a beautiful and short trek to reach there, is worth every effort spent. I came to know of this place from my wife Monosree (we were not married at that time) and she asked me visit this place and send her the photographs of the place. I just cannot thank her enough for the beautiful experience I had. Autumn is the recommended season to visit this place due to the Fall colors which renders the beauty to the trek.

Second in the list is the "Jardin Botanique" orsimply the Botanical Garden in Geneva. Lying just on the outskirt of the city, within a walking distance from the center of the city, this garden is a worthy competitor for the unending options to travel on weekends. Whenever, I was not going outside Geneva on a weekend, this would be the destination for me. A nice walk by the side of the lake leading to this garden is another reason for rejuvenating over the weekend.

Lastly, the favorite place for residents of Geneva on the few months of Summer season - "The Geneva Plage". Switzerland, being geographically bounded by landmasses on all sides, the option of sea beaches are not there. So the authorities have utilized the side of beautiful lakes found all across the country, and made them into artificial beaches. But in some lakeside, unlike using normal sand which would hamper the biological balance of the lake, small pieces of soft woods are used as the prime component for the beaches.

The beautiful trek along River Rhone towards Jonction
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1042.jpg

The Fall colors are sure to make one fall in Love with the place
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1044.jpg

The Jonction of rivers Arve and Rhone
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1055.jpg

The colors inside Jardin Botanique
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1006.jpg

The Tulips and decoration
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1012.jpg

The landscape garden inside Jardin Botanique
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1013.jpg

There are a few domesticated and conserved animals inside the garden. The sheep and Jersey cattle are the prime domesticated animals found all across Switzerland.
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1034.jpg

The beautiful walk along Geneva Lake towards Geneve Plage
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0967.jpg

Perfect track for jogging
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0972.jpg

One section of the Geneve Plage
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1076.jpg

In Winter, Sea Gulls and Swans flock around the Plage
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1252.jpg

The season of Winter is harsh in Geneva, yet beautiful!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn2113.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 25th July 2020 at 17:31.
gearhead_mait is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:06   #4
BHPian

CERN – science and more.

When in Geneva, how could you miss paying a visit to the Mecca of Nuclear Research in Europe - CERN. This was on my list for long and I made sure to visit this as soon as time permits. On a fine Saturday afternoon, post lunch, my colleague and friend Pravash and myself took a tram from Geneva Cornavin stop and reached CERN. Known for the Large Hadron Collider, apart from many research and developments in Nuclear Physics, the gallery for tourists in CERN, although has limited items for display, but its enough to draw attention.

The research wing of CERN, restricted for tourists
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0609.jpg

Accelerating Science, indeed
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0628.jpg

The hub of research on particle physics
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0591.jpg

Few more pictures inside the gallery for tourists
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0595.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0596.jpg

The name says it all
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0636.jpg

Enlightened!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0593.jpg

The beautiful Swiss village outside CERN
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0645.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 25th July 2020 at 17:51.
Old 3rd June 2020, 01:47   #5
BHPian

Hermance – tranquility re-explained!

Slowly, but steadily, I was adapting to the lifestyle in Geneva. In the past few weeks, I visited many local attractions around Geneva. Now it was time to expand the territory slowly. With this in mind I proposed visiting the small village of Hermance on a weekend. With much difficulty, I convinced a few of my friends over the weekend plan. But as Friday approached, the weather turned bad with occasional downpour and cloudy skies. Nearly all of my friends opted out, but I managed to keep Pravash on my side. I knew that the months of November to March would be like this in Switzerland, with rain slowly being taken over by snowfall. But if I make bad weather as an excuse to postpone the plans for visiting the places in my wish list, I would end up missing a lot of places. Not an option for me!

Staggered rainfall continued all through the night on Friday, and although the rain receded on Saturday morning, overcast weather continued. But that didn't dampen our passion. Hermance is located around 15 kilometers from Geneva, but we had to change our Bus once at Geneva Plage. After an early lunch, we left for Hermance.

The Geneve-Plage bus stop
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0653.jpg

The Fall colors are enhanced by the rain
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0656.jpg

Beauty everywhere
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0665.jpg

Time for a quick snap, before the bus for Hermance arrives
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0670.jpg

Looks like the kids enjoyed the water activity
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0702.jpg

Empty lawn-tennis courts at Hermance
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0720.jpg

Beautiful homes at Hermance
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0721.jpg

..And serene lake side
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0726.jpg

A graveyard by the side of a Church
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0747.jpg

Inside the empty Church
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0754.jpg

Empty streets, everywhere
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0744.jpg

The Hermance Plage
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0723.jpg

La Tour - The Hermance Tower
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0762.jpg

Hermance Town Hall
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0769.jpg

We wandered around the village of Hermance till dusk. The village of Hermance is beautiful and serene. Nicely tucked on the border between Switzerland and France, its surely going to awe with the clean and beautifully maintained village and historical buildings. It also has a dated feel to it, which takes you back a few centuries in the past. I loved the day tour to Hermance and it refreshed the travel hungry soul inside me to get on with another hectic week at work.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 25th July 2020 at 18:45.
gearhead_mait is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 19:43   #6
BHPian

Luzern, Alpnachstad and Mount Pilatus – the dragon mountain in Autumn

Planning to visit places never stopped for me while in Geneva. Before any plan is executed, the next one was already in queue. And when you are in Switzerland, how many days could you wait to see the Alps! The trip that brought me close to Swiss Alps was the trip to Mt. Pilatus. Barely 3 weeks of landing in Geneva, when I presented the plan to my friends, majority opted out. But as usual Pravash was in and this time we had my flatmate Sayan for company as well. It felt good to see the group growing in size. The date of journey was fixed on a Saturday, on the week immediately the trip to Hermance. Before any trip, the budgeting had to be done and it was me who would prepare as estimated cost for the trip. This was essential since the cost of travel was always on the higher side in Switzerland, even for us who were salaried in the country. We had bought the half-fare travelcard for Switzerland costing around 165 CHF valid for an year. This card provides half-fare waiver for every trip within Switzerland for a year, and this applies to all railways, buses, municipality operated ferries and even gondolas all across Europe. Although this card may not be beneficial for tourists who stay for short period of time, but for us staying for a year or so this card yielded more than its worth!

Early morning, we took the SBB train from Geneva Cornavin station to Lucerne (or Luzern). From there, we had to take another connecting train to the base of Mt. Pilatus. From the base, we had to book tickets for a cogwheel rail that climbs all the way to Pilatus-Kulm. The cogwheel train is a piece of history for Switzerland as the technology made possible for the railways to reach elevation that was accessible only by foot and significantly reducing the travel time. This technology accelerated and promoted the tourism industry in Switzerland like no other.

Of the many firsts, this trip was my first experience on a SBB operated train service. Nothing to say regarding the cleanliness and cozy nature of the compartments, many of whom were Double Decker. But what amazed me were the timing and punctuality of the trains - One can count by the minutes, if not seconds. For any journey done by me all across the year, be it any season, the trains were never late for a minute in arrival or departure in any station. We became so confident, that we booked connecting trains at a gap of few minutes from a station located hundreds of kilometres away. Another aspect of the train journey in Switzerland that will blow your mind are the view from the windows. Amazing green pastures, beautiful tunnels, snow capped peaks and what not.

The weather was not bright when we started from Geneva and neither it improved when we reached the base of Mt. Pilatus. This turned off the mood of my co-travelers, though it couldn't fade away my energy a bit. I couldn't blame my friends as its quite natural for anyone to turn into a gloom, specially in Swiss, where any journey to a Swiss destination is associated with hefty pinch on the pocket. We booked the tickets for the cogwheel train, and as we started moving up the slope, the weather started getting better. By the time we were at the top, bright sunlight welcomed us to a dreamy landscape covered in snow all around. I was in awe with the beauty of the place! Let the pictures move the story further-

The Pilatus base station with the cogwheel train in view
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0811.jpg

The cogwheel train in motion
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0820.jpg

With the passage of time, we were in awe of - 1) The landscape and 2) the engineering feat involved to make this cogwheel track
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0849.jpg

But a few tourists chose to trek all the way up. Spot them!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0857.jpg

It had snowed the night before and it was really cold. That's the frozen drainage line!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0873.jpg

That's the beauty of Alps, at least a portion of it. Rest to follow as the travelogue advances.
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0876.jpg

There are ample choice of refreshments for tourists
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0889.jpg

Everywhere you look, you can't help but fall in love!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0897.jpg

The sun was out, the weather was bright, so out came the Alphorn, the traditional Swiss musical instrument
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0899.jpg

There are many hiking trails from the top, but most were closed (like this one) due to snowfall
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0903.jpg

Sea of clouds settling down the valley below
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0911.jpg

While the cogwheel train relentlessly performs their duty, bringing in more tourists
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0916.jpg

An experience of a lifetime blends well with a bit of silence
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0930.jpg

While we enjoyed our time as well. Seen in this picture are Pravash (beside me) and Sayan
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0957.jpg

A father carrying his ~3 year old child on his back while trekking downhill, while his mother follows the track. Sheer grit!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0965.jpg

Locals dressed in Swiss traditional outfits. The music was a celebration of the beautiful moment!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0966.jpg

Want a faster ride to the top than the cogwheel? Then the Gondola is for you!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0969.jpg

A Church below, blending with the color of snow
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0974.jpg

Music was not limited to outdoors only
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0987.jpg

But the adventures are outside, and there were many takers
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0990.jpg

Fly away! Wish I was trained as a child..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0995.jpg

A little bit of history on the engineering masterpiece, engraved on the stone!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1004.jpg

The journey to the top was a soul soother. First look of the Alps has already won over my heart, and I was already rearing for another trip
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1008.jpg

It was indeed a fulfilling first time experience of the Alps. With my mind in a recap mode of the day, we went back to the city of Lucerne and strolled around the city for an hour before catching our return train to Geneva.

Few pictures around the city of Lucerne

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1017.jpg

Lucerne Museum of Arts
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1025.jpg

The city of Lucerne
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1026.jpg

The heritage Chapel Bridge in Lucerne
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1029.jpg

The Chapel Bridge on the inside
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1032.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 27th July 2020 at 22:10.
Old 8th June 2020, 00:59   #7
BHPian

Interlaken, Mount Jungfraujoch – the snowy journey in Winter

After the trip to Mt. Pilatus, winter set its foot all across Switzerland. It was around late November to early December, but Geneva was yet to get its first snowfall of the season. But regions closer to the Alps had already started receiving heavy snowfall. During this time, another friend of mine, Rajat, joined us in Geneva along with his wife Madhurima. During his first week in Geneva, he asked me if we could go somewhere for a day or two. I was already having a word document with the places to visit in my wish list. A quick glance through and I picked up one of the gems in Switzerland - The region of Interlaken!

Rajat and Madhurima agreed promptly, and we were ready for the day trip to Interlaken and its surrounding region. Located at the center of Switzerland, Interlaken derived its name from its geographical position in the valley between two lakes - L. Brienz and L. Thun. Being referred to as one of the gems of Switzerland, the small resort town of Interlaken is surrounded by pristine Alps mountains with green meadows landscaped beautifully. Apart from that, there are many dream places to visit centered around Interlaken - Grindelwald, Aareslucht, Reichenbach Falls, Harder Kulm to name a few. But on this journey, we decided to undertake the journey to the top of Europe - Mt. Jungfraujoch. Having experienced snowfall for the past few days, we knew it would be an experience to remember.

The train from Geneva dropped us at the Interlaken West station, and we walked through the beautiful town of Interlaken and after spending an hour or so around the Höheweg, the famous road in Interlaken, we went towards Interlaken Ost(East) station from where the train for Mt. Jungfraujoch departs.

In the meantime, Rajat and Madhurima fell in love with Interlaken so much that they decided to stay for a night there, while I would be returning to Geneva post completion of our day tour. The tickets to Mt. Jungfraujoch was indeed costly, probably the costliest in Switzerland. Even with half fare travelcard, we felt the pocket pinch. But the realization changed as the journey progressed. There are mainly three stops for the first train namely - Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Kleine Scheidegg. Then we needed to board a cogwheel train that takes us to the top of Mt. Jungfraujoch, with an intermediate stop at Eismeer.

With time, the views from the moving train started getting from good to better. Post Lauterbrunnen, it was nothing short of a dreamland. The views were magnificent at each turn and every penny we spent was proving itself more than its actual worth!

First view of beautiful Interlaken from the Interlaken West station!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1082.jpg

When words give way to silence - such was the beauty!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1083.jpg

The group in front of a Swiss Chalet! Rajat booked a hotel close by
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1089.jpg

Höheweg - The famous street in Interlaken
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1092.jpg

Green pastures opposite the Höheweg, border lined by the Alps
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1093.jpg

Every corner reflects the charm of the place
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1099.jpg

River Aare, on its way from L.Brienz to L.Thun
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1107.jpg

The train from Interlaken Ost (East) to Kleine Scheidegg
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1130.jpg

Lauterbrunnen, the first stop enroute and the start of the beautiful journey through the snowy dreamland!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1132.jpg

Trummelsbach Falls, frozen but still going strong with water turned into snow, sliding off it
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1136.jpg

As far as the eyes could see, beauty prevails
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1144.jpg

Conifers adds an icing touch to the beauty of a snowy landscape
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1163.jpg

Hide and seek of the clouds and sun, with the clouds moving down the mountains creating a magic
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1167.jpg

And ecstasy is just an outburst!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1172.jpg

Can it get any better than this?
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1173.jpg

A green meadow in Summers transforms into this in Winter, like a magic spell
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1175.jpg

Snow-makers in action, while Mt. Jungfrau laughs silently
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1184.jpg

The beautiful ski-resort of Kleine Scheidegg
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1191.jpg

The story of Jungfrau, Swiss Chalets and Ski-boards
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1199.jpg

There's a Beginner's practice arena as well
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1201.jpg

Rajat and Madhurima enjoying every bit of their first trip in Switzerland
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1204.jpg

The red-colored trains awaits us for the trip to the top of Europe - Jungfrau
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1205.jpg

Let it wait a little, while I have some fun
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1209.jpg

This man has etched himself in every corner of Switzerland. An ambassador in true sense!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1210.jpg

Finally at the top! Though the altitude is just a small number for anyone been to the Himalayas.
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1221.jpg

View of the Alps from the top
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1222.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1224.jpg

Few braved the cold to remain outside. We barely managed to stay outside for a few minutes!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1228.jpg

The picture depicts the cold waves at the top, to some extent
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1232.jpg

Where the snow and clouds mix together
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1235.jpg

The journey was long and tiring, but the experience was to remember for life. It was already dark when we were back at Interlaken. I bade farewell to Rajat and family, and also to the beautiful town of Interlaken. There is so much to explore, so much to see and experience in Swiss. This journey triggered a wave that lasted till my last day in Switzerland, and the memories of this trip made sure that tiredness stayed away till I explore Swiss Alps to my heart's content. The train brought me back to the city of Geneva for the day, but I knew it wouldn't be long before I return.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 2nd August 2020 at 18:10.
gearhead_mait is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 02:05   #8
BHPian

St. Moritz – a snow land less visited

And it was not long before the exotic St. Moritz welcomed us. Though a gap of three months after the last trip to Interlaken-Jungfraujoch seems like a lot of time, but there were a few International trips (Rest of Europe) squeezed in those few months. These 'Rest of Europe' trips would be covered in part II of the Europe travelogue.

Coming back to this trip - This was a trip which was planned quickly, and the first trip consisting of so many friends. We were nine persons in total, out of which Rajat and Hirak had their family accompanying them. So they booked their hotel in St. Moritz. For the rest five of us, we booked the bunk beds at the Youth Hostel, St. Moritz. Being the end of March, the winter had started to recede on the western part of Switzerland. But the eastern corner where we are headed was still receiving heavy snowfall.

St. Moritz is primarily a ski resort, popular with tourists during the Winter season. That being said, the tourists are mainly the European crowd. Non-EU tourists are rare in this part of Switzerland as this destination is seldom part of the itinerary of tourist agencies. But the UNESCO heritage train ride from Zermatt (to be covered in the later half of the travelogue) to St. Moritz known as 'Glacier Express' is hugely popular among tourists. In fact, St. Moritz is more about the journey than the destination. The Glacier Express, which has a glass ceiling and windows for tourists to enjoy the 360 degree view, is obviously a dream train ride but at the same time its costly as well. We took a normal SBB train connecting from Zurich, and the experience was in no way less fulfilling. Snow landscape all around and the train zipping through many beautiful tunnels en route, this was my best experience on a train in Europe.

We reached the quaint town of St. Moritz in the afternoon and walked our way past a frozen lake to reach our hostel. The hostel, as expected, was brimming with tourists and probably we were the only ones who came without a pair of skis. Youth Hostel is also the only affordable stay at St. Moritz, as it is the second most expensive place in the world! The canteen was crowded and everyone was having their evening snack. We waited at the canteen while the check in formalities were being completed, and could hear the sole point of discussion in most of the tables was about the next day i.e. skiing at Corviglia. It was then we decided to take the cable car to Corviglia the following day.

Mesmerizing view enroute St. Moritz!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0591.jpg

Railway track passing through the snowy dreamland
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0592.jpg

Sayan and myself, inside the train compartment
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3434.jpg

A Swiss chalet in an exotic location
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0593.jpg

Can anything get better than this?
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3503.jpg

One of the best train journeys in the world
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3676.jpg

St. Moritz - its different!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0601.jpg

The town center of St. Moritz
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0602.jpg

Time for a quick snap with the traditional Swiss carriage - Satanjib and myself!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0604.jpg

Our hostel was a bit far, but who cares when the views along the walkway are like this
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0608.jpg

This architecture of this building stands out from the rest
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3520.jpg

Although the entire town of St.Moritz is quiet and serene, but the serenity is amplified as we approach our place of stay - The Youth Hostel
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0618.jpg

After checking in to our rooms, we had a pleasant walk along the adjacent pine forest covered in snow. L-R : Myself, Baibhab, Anindya and Sayan. Picture Courtesy : Satanjib
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0624.jpg

Beautifully lit up at night- St. Moritz on the other side of the frozen lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0640.jpg

The desolate town center at night
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0649.jpg

After another round of snowfall at night, a pleasant morning walk along the pine forest trail
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0652.jpg

The frozen lake, the town of St. Moritz and the Corviglia ski site - all in one frame
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0662.jpg

Morning shows the day!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0683.jpg

On the top of Corviglia ski site
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0691.jpg

The skiers getting ready for the show
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0697.jpg

The ski-lifts adding glamour to the beautiful snow-scape
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0707.jpg

While I was taming the Arctic Cat
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0704.jpg

Hirak was busy posing with the mountains
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3619.jpg

Another angle of the beautiful ski slope
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0709.jpg

A parting shot at Corviglia. L-R : Hirak, Baibhab, Sayan, Rajat and myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3625.jpg

The trip will be remembered forever for the iconic train journey..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0724.jpg

..And the lesser known but beautiful and serene - St. Moritz
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0734.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 3rd August 2020 at 01:40.
Old 10th June 2020, 17:07   #9
BHPian

Rhine Falls – the most powerful waterfall in Europe

"An end of a trip.." should always be followed by "..marks the beginning of another". But the way we planned the visit to Rhine Falls would even put the stamina of a traveler to shame.

The majestic Rhine Falls lies close to Zurich, albeit a detour from the normal route towards Geneva. Our group was already tired from the long journey back and forth St. Moritz. Everyone's heart was filled with joy and memories from the beautiful journey and was longing to return to our respective home in Geneva. But I made up my mind to visit Rhine Falls on my way back. Majority was not convinced on the plan, mainly as its a detour on the opposite side of Geneva from Zurich. But I managed to convince Rajat and Madhurima and the three of us headed towards Rhine Falls from Zurich, while the rest of the group were on the train for Geneva.

It was an hour journey to Neuhausen, and a walk for about 5-10 mins for the Rhine Falls. Although we were tired, but the walk along R. Rhine was indeed refreshing with the sound of the waterfall getting intense with every meter of our walk. It was indeed a treat to watch the Rhine Falls and indeed it was a good decision to pay a visit to this wonder. We spent some time strolling along the R. Rhine and gorging on some snacks. We were late to Geneva that day, probably reached around Eleven O'clock at night. But the sudden decision for the detour indeed turned to be an icing on the cake.

The majestic Lake Zurich!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0749.jpg

The connecting train from Zurich to Neuhausen
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0752.jpg

The beautiful walk along R. Rhine from Neuhausen station
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0757.jpg

Time for the camera
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0756.jpg

Beautiful River Rhine
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0758.jpg

A traditional bridge over R. Rhine, just before the waterfall
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0764.jpg

Rhine Falls - first view!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0771.jpg

The deafening sound and power of the Rhine Falls need to be felt!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0776.jpg

Rajat was ecstatic and was communicating the same to his family back home
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0782.jpg

While I was strolling along the Rhine, clicking pictures till dusk set in
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0775.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 5th August 2020 at 02:33.
Old 11th June 2020, 00:39   #10
BHPian

Montreux – the Spring arrives!

Like the most of Central European region, the winter in Switzerland is long and harsh. But the beauty in that harshness can only be felt when one falls in love. And the love for Switzerland is not limited to the travel destinations alone, but there are variety of other aspects that are seldom explored. I still remember those moments of feeling alone, those moments of feeling little down when I would just put on my jacket , plug in the walkman and go for walk along the Geneva Lake at night. In a city that sleeps early, this particular time at night I had the whole city of Geneva to myself. With nothing but the sound of rippling waves and a lonely pathway along the lake, it was enough to wash away all the tiredness - all the pain. After a few miles of walk - every time exploring a different corner of Geneva, a rejuvenated soul and a tired body would be ready for the turmoil of the next day.

An attachment that could never develop over a couple of days of weeks of exploring the scenic locations in Switzerland - a feeling of being one with the place. I have stayed in the city of Glasgow(Scotland) in the later part of my work life for about six months, but the connection with Geneva was entirely different. Though I must agree there were a few other reasons as well , most important differentiator being the Love of my Life - one city was witness to a long and sweet wait for her while the other was associated with a agonizing distance between Us. That's a long story for some other time!

I was lucky to witness the Autumn and Winter in Switzerland. Now it was time for the beautiful season of renewal - The Spring!
Snow had already melted more or less in all the valleys in Switzerland and beautiful green meadows and colorful flowers started to blossom in every corner. The restaurants and cafes had started pulling out the chairs and tables out in the open. The bright sunlight with a cool breeze feels so charming along with a glass of white wine along the lake side.

It was such a day in the weekend, when I planned to pay a day visit to a place that reverberates the feel of Spring with every beat - Montreux.
Rajat and Madhurima joined me on this trip as well.
Located by the side of Lac Leman at a distance of hardly 90 kilometers from Geneva, it took us approximately 90 minutes to reach Montreux. The modt revered point of interest in Montreux is the Chateau de Chillon or popularly known as the Chillon Castle. Located just by the side of Lac Leman, it draws attention from far. A visit to this castle was on our list of activities for the day, but the walk from the Montreux train station to the lake side changed it all. Such was the beauty and charm of the place that we ended up spending a lot of time lazing by the side of the lake. The sunny weather, the cool breeze from the lake, the colorful flowers along the walkway by the side of the lake and the occasional honk from the cruise ships breaking the silence of the region and the lake itself was enough to keep us entertained.

Though Rajat and Madhurima later decided to pay a visit to the museum inside the Chillon Castle, I chose to spend some more time in seclusion with the beautiful Lac Leman

Mesmerizing view as one approaches the lakeside
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0787.jpg

Blossoms by the roadside that and lifts our mood..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0796.jpg

..While a few pay tribute to the lake and mountains!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0798.jpg

Ample time and opportunity for photographs with the lake..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0805.jpg

..And scope for relaxing by the side of the lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0810.jpg

There would instances that will pull the camera out of the case..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0827.jpg

..Still there would be enough time to just sit back and relax
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0820.jpg

And when you want to rejuvenate, you have the beautiful walkway along the Lake
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0823.jpg

..And repeat!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0817.jpg

Sometimes a few natural elements, like this tree, will seem unreal
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0828.jpg

While the other time, the scenic beauty will make your jaw drop
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0829.jpg

There would be places filled with sound and activities
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0830.jpg

But a few offering absolute solitude and bliss
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0832.jpg

The choice is hard between the sound from large cruise ship slowly giving way to an amazing scene..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0836.jpg

..And the color and appearance of a tree bathed by the bright sunlight
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0840.jpg

But one must continue the walk, for the history lies a bit far
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0842.jpg

The walls of Chateau de Chillon fortified by the bonding with Lac Leman for centuries
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0848.jpg

And the sole presence that makes it the most revered POI in Montreux
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0851.jpg

Another day flew past and we were glad to have been blessed with a beautiful weather all throughout the day. It was on this day, we planned to visit Interlaken once more in Summer,

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 8th August 2020 at 02:52.
Old 13th June 2020, 00:48   #11
BHPian

Mount Saleve – a part of French Prealps

The heavenly country of Switzerland has many beautiful locations worth paying a visit, and I would not miss a single opportunity to rush towards them. But there were a few weekends where the daily chores took precedence. In those weekends, after lunch or probably a few hours in the afternoon I would stroll around Geneva Lake or take my cycle out on a ride to the outskirts. For those 4 to 5 hours break, Mount Saleve turned out to be a good option.

This post is about Mount Saleve, a part of French Prealps. Yes, this mountain overlooking the beautiful city of Geneva geographically lies on the French side. A cable car takes one to the top of the mountain and there are scope for adventurous activities and dedicated BBQ sites for interested groups. Adventurous activities include Paraglidiing, Hang Gliding, Hiking through various trails etc. But for me Mount Saleve offered a kind of solace on busy weekends. The view of Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in the Alps, on a clear day is mesmerizing. Its also the last place I visited in my Switzerland episode before returning to India. I still remember the BBQ party on Mount Saleve thrown by colleagues for Sayan and myself, a week before our return.

Just a short distance from Geneva..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0775.jpg

..Lies this place away from the hustle and bustle of the city
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0777.jpg

The view of Mount Saleve instantly brings a feeling of joy
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0781.jpg

The day was cloudy and hazy enough to incite doubts in our mind
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0783.jpg

..But after all the gloomy thoughts comes a brilliant surprise. A sea of cloud covering the entire city of Geneva below
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0810.jpg

On the other side of the sea of cloud, the beautiful Mont Blanc clearly visible from the top of Saleve
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0799.jpg

The entire range of Mont Blanc
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0802.jpg

Winderness and tranquility punched together
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0800.jpg

Views to cherish for a lifetime
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0808.jpg

A short journey from Geneva, yet so majestic. That's Mount Saleve for you
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn0785.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 8th August 2020 at 19:26.
Old 20th June 2020, 01:10   #12
BHPian

Interlaken, Aareslucht and Reichenbach Falls – call of the Summer!

Summer had already arrived in Switzerland and the beauty took a new turn. Vast green meadows surrounded by snow-capped peaks of the Alps, jersey cows grazing over the pristine valleys and the lovely SBB trains twisting and turning through the emerald colored lakes and mountains! Summer is Switzerland is indeed beautiful and that's why its the preferred season for tourists all across the globe.

Interlaken, the beautiful town in the center of Switzerland flanked by the gorgeous lakes of Brienz and Thun on either side, had already blown us away with its beauty once during the Winter. The bewitching beauty attracted us so much that the three of us - Rajat, his wife Madhurima and myself decided to visit this region once more during Summer. With our colleague and friend Uttiya coming in from India and our another colleague and friend, Bijit, who arrived in Switzerland after our beautiful journey to Interlaken during Winter, both confirmed their willingness to join us. I booked an Alfa Romeo from the SIXT car rental, and we were ready for the day trip. I had booked for a Alfa Romeo Giulietta from SIXT earlier during our trip to Black Forest, Germany (to be covered in Part II of Europe travelogue) but that time we were given a BMW 3 Series Touring due to unavailability of the Italian beauty. This time I was keeping my fingers crossed for the Giulietta.

On the day of the trip, when we approached the Geneva Aeroport SIXT outlet, we were unfortunately let down again. This time we were offered a BMW 1 Series. (The dream to drive an Alfa Giulietta did materialize later, though in a different country and the lucky charm was my wife. read here (The journey continues...together! Across the British Isles - Scotland & England)) I was a little disappointed but soon the negativity was overthrown with positive vibes when I started driving on the freeway. The feel of driving a BMW in the Swiss highway to Interlaken from Geneva couldn't be defined in a few words.

We - Rajat, Uttiya and myself, took turns in driving the BMW. I wished I could drive all the way but everyone's wish needs to be taken care of. We were in Interlaken around 12 in the noon and I was amazed at the beautiful makeover the small town got in Summer. Everywhere you look, the greenery bowls you over and the turquoise blue lakes in the background of the Alps was simply out of this world.

During Winter, we covered the Mt. Jungfraujoch region. So this time it had to be the other majestic getaways close to Interlaken. We narrowed down the list of places to -

1. Aareschlucht
2. Reichenbach Falls
3. Grindelwald (to be covered in the next post)

First on our list was Aareschlucht or the Gorge of the River Aare. Rajat and myself were familiar to the town of Interlaken, so we quickly had our lunch from an eatery in Interlaken and after a round of photography session headed towards the beautiful Aareschlucht. Traveling by car provides the advantage of flexibility and minimized time loss. We arrived in Aareschlucht and bought the tickets for entry.
There is a fine line of difference between the tourism in Switzerland and in other countries. Obviously the cost is high in Switzerland, no doubt about that, but the offerings are far reaching as well. Its hard to imagine the extent to which the country goes to promote tourism. A beautiful gorge of the River Aare, which would otherwise have been out of scope for many travelers, has been made accessible by engineering of another level. Not only it is accessible to normal people, but also to the differently abled. A beautiful pathway made of steel, running all the way along the deep gorge formed by R. Aare, allows the tourists to be one with Nature. We ended up spending a lot of time at Aareschlucht before moving over to Reichenbach Falls.

Reichenbach Falls - a humble waterfall made famous by serving as the witness to the altercation between the Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty in "The Final Problem". But there's little more to this waterfall than just a tag to a short story. Firstly, the journey on funicular train that takes the tourists close to the waterfall. Secondly, the beautiful panoramic view from the train that opens up as one approaches the Reichenbach Falls is worth every penny spent on this ride.

The group with our steed for the day. PC - Myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_2755.jpg

The face is a clear reflection of the feelings underneath
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_2736.jpg

The open roads in Switzerland are pure love
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_2993.jpg

Beauty of Interlaken in Summer
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1134.jpg

The entire group at Interlaken
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1139.jpg

The traditional horse driven carriage is common all across the Bernese Oberland
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1141.jpg

The entry to Aareschlucht
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1143.jpg

The beautiful walk along the green meadows before R. Aare comes into view
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1149.jpg

The start of the walkway along the gorge
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1155.jpg

An information plate underlining the geological significance of Aarechlucht
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_2801.jpg

The gorge and the walkway
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1162.jpg

A casual click. R-L : Bijit, Uttiya and myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1166.jpg

A few small waterfalls along the way added to the magical feeling
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1181.jpg

A perfect example where the human intervention and Mother Nature exist harmoniously
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1183.jpg

Words, sentences and phrases will fall short to describe the beauty!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1188.jpg

An ideal place to just sit back and listen to voices of Mother Nature
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1195.jpg

Happy faces. R-L : Bijit, Uttiya, Rajat and myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1198.jpg

Aareschlucht exceeded our expectation and provided the perfect start to our day
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1200.jpg

Next in line was Reichenbach Falls. At the Funicular station, Sherlock Holmes made his presence felt
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1205.jpg

The ticket counter for the funicular train to Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1204.jpg

That's the train ride to take us to the waterfall
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1203.jpg

The seven step cascading Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1222.jpg

A souvenir to promote tourism in the area
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_2964.jpg

The scenic beauty from the hike to the Reichenbach Falls
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1231.jpg

Few snaps taken in Interlaken before we moved on to Grindelwald

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1237.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1240.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1246.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1247.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 9th August 2020 at 01:08.
Old 21st June 2020, 21:16   #13
BHPian

Grindelwald – the home of Heidi.

Grindelwald, to me, is the most beautiful of all the villages in Switzerland, while Lauterbrunnen comes a close second. Tucked between the beautiful mountains ranges of the Alps on all sides, the charm of Grindelwald is to die for. Not only for the beauty, Grindelwald offers many options of adventure for tourists - Skiing in the winter, many hike trails in the summer etc. Located in close proximity to the village of Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald provides the option to visit the secluded villages of Murren and Gimmelwald or continue to the top of Mt. Schillthorn via the cable car. Options are many but the tickets of the cable car are priced high. So conscious decisions needs to be taken based on budget.

For us, we didn't have much time that day to go to any of the cable car or hiking trails. But what the village of Grindelwald showed us would be remembered for life!

The group with our steed
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1306.jpg

Simply breathtaking view!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1255.jpg

Wherever you look, snow capped mountains are ready to greet you
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1257.jpg

And lavish chalets would welcome you in
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1260.jpg

The main road in Grindelwald
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3066.jpg

A game of mists and the mountains
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1261.jpg

I wished I could stay there for a couple of weeks
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1278.jpg

Typical Swiss village!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-img_3091.jpg

A casual picture taken at the main street of Grindelwald
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1263.jpg

A cup of hot coffee and this view - Pure love!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1267.jpg

Could resist a few clicks with the surreal background
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1289.jpg

The entire group
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1293.jpg

A few more pictures of Grindelwald

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1275.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1296.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1277.jpg

The SBB train, mixing well with the beauty of the background
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1303.jpg

It was a happening day and we covered a lot of places. It was not just about covering the places, but to live every second of it. I knew this would be my final visit to the Interlaken region on this trip to Switzerland. The entire Bernese Oberland had showered all its beauty on us in both Winter and Summer seasons and this region remains my favorite place in Switzerland till date.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 12th August 2020 at 01:08.
Old 21st June 2020, 21:39   #14
BHPian

Zermatt and Mount Matterhorn – a tryst with the legend of the Alps!

It was already mid-summer in Switzerland and my date of return to India was approaching fast. Throughout these ten months, I traveled a lot all across Europe and of course Switzerland. But one of my bucket list places was still pending a visit - Mount Matterhorn. The famous mountain whose picture is printed on the pack of Toblerone and from whom the famous Swiss chocolate's shape is inspired, that's Mount Matterhorn for you - A legend in itself!

Mt. Jungfraujoch in the Bernese Oberland (covered earlier in my travelogue) has the tagline as "The top of Europe". Its not that its the highest peak in Europe (That crown has been rightfully claimed by Mont Blanc in France, to be covered in my Europe Part II log) but its due to the fact that the engineering masterpiece allowed tourists to reach the highest point in Europe via a train ride and that lies on the Mt. Jungfraujoch. In fact, Mount Matterhorn is the 6th highest mountain peak in Switzerland.

I have shared a lot of background on Mt. Matterhorn, but as I said its a legend on its own - partly due to its unique pyramidal shape that draws attention from any angle. How could I miss a bucket list that has a legend left to be uncovered. So, the plan was made and as on many other trips I was accompanied by Rajat, Madhurima and Bijit.

There is a similarity in all the high mountain ranges in Switzerland that are accessed by cable car or cogwheel train - All the mountain ranges overlook a beautiful town/village that lie on a valley. Just like Mount Titlis overlooking beautiful town of Engelberg, Mount Pilatus overlooking the city of Lucerne, Mount Jungfraujoch and Mount Schillthorn overlooking Lauterbrunnen - the legendary Mount Matterhorn overlooks the beautiful town of Zermatt. But there's something special about Zermatt - its a car-free town. That means anyone bringing their own car should park their vehicle at Tasch, around 5 kilometers from Zermatt, and catch a train for Zermatt. In our case, we were traveling by the SBB train service from Geneva which dropped us directly at Zermatt with one change of train at Visp.

Zermatt is a beautiful town, with the usual hustle and bustle of tourists. We had our breakfast in Zermatt and after a few photography session we went to the base station for the cable car. There were a lot of options to choose the direction one wants to travel. We chose the ride till Matterhorn Glacier Paradise which costs the most among all rides but at the same time provides the flexibility to explore the stops enroute like Furi and Trockener Steg before reaching the highest cable car station in Europe. Having the Swiss Half-Fare travelcard helped us in getting attractive discount on the otherwise hefty ticket price.

The train that takes tourists from Visp to the car-free town of Zermatt
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1333.jpg

Our group for the trip. L-R : Bijit, Madhurima, Rajat and myself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1342.jpg

One of the numerous scenic bridges...
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1343.jpg

..And amazing landscapes enroute Zermatt
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1347.jpg

Any landscape shot is incomplete without the beautiful Swiss Rail
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1338.jpg

The enchanting sound of rivulets flowing through the mountainous terrain
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1354.jpg

Zermatt greets with amazing landscape..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1361.jpg

..Slowly giving way to mystic snow-capped peaks seen at a distance..
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1364.jpg

..As Golfers enjoy the beautiful weather
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1367.jpg

And slowly the train pushes towards the village of Zermatt
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1365.jpg

Mt. Matterhorn - A different angle
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1376.jpg

The first phase cable car ride to Furi
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1382.jpg

Amazing views as we gain altitude
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1384.jpg

Towards Trockener Steg -The second phase of our climb to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1387.jpg

The vegetation gave way to rugged terrain at Trockener Steg
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1388.jpg

And Mount Matterhorn seems to be within our reach
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1392.jpg

The cable car station at Trockener Steg
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1394.jpg

Trockener Steg deserves an hour to explore, such is the beauty all around!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1396.jpg

A group picture at Trockener
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1405.jpg

Another legend - The Gorner Glacier as seen from Trockener Steg
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1409.jpg

A photographer trying his best to capture the best frame
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1413.jpg

The cable car track to our final destination - Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, looks miniaturized
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1417.jpg

The same track looks dizzying from the cable car itself
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1421.jpg

The views get more beautiful at the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1422.jpg

And at the same time it was damn cold
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1431.jpg

A picture of the cable car that climbs to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1433.jpg

Final shot of the Mount Matterhorn at the highest point - The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, before our descent from the high altitude
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1434.jpg

At Zermatt, with Mt. Matterhorn in the background
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1439.jpg

I will call this "The Toblerone Shot"
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1444.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 13th August 2020 at 02:00.
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:59   #15
BHPian

Chexbres, Lavaux vineyards – a vineyard with a view!

Of all my trips around Switzerland, this was the only day trip I did solo. A change of train at Vevey would land you at the Chexbres village, the center of the Lavaux vineyards. Lavaux vineyards is an UNESCO World Heritage Site overlooking the Lac Leman. It has three wine region namely - St. Saphorin, Chardonne and Dezaley. Centered around Chexbres village, there is a beautiful tour around the vineyard which also incorporates a walking tour around the village showing the cellars around the typical Swiss village. Complementary white wine tasting for all the guests were an icing on the cake. The day trip to Lavaux vineyards not only allows for a mesmerizing view of the sloping green vineyards overlooking the turquoise blue Lac Leman, but also gives an opportunity to be one with the local traditional wine making process - A highly recommended point of visit.

The cozy little station of Chexbres Village
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1706.jpg

An SBB train at the Chexbres station
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1620.jpg

The toy train that takes the tourists around the Lavaux vineyards
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1704.jpg

Inside the Chexbres village
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1647.jpg

The beautiful walk on the alleys of Chexbres village
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1648.jpg

The cellars distributed all across the village
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1651.jpg

View of Lac Leman from the Lavaux vineyards
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1662.jpg

Views that will recharge a tired soul
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1667.jpg

Complemented by the mountains and Lac Leman, probably the vineyard with one of the best views in the world
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1672.jpg

A lone cruise ship on Lac Leman
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1659.jpg

Terraced farming with a brilliant foreground
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1697.jpg

Lavaux vineyards - another angle!
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1702.jpg

One for the memories - The sweet Chexbres Village
Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1678.jpg

Switzerland | Unfolding a dream from the past | Europe, Part I-dscn1705.jpg

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 13th August 2020 at 02:54.
gearhead_mait is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks