Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 18:25   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lockdown Travel: Chennai to Kolkata (in a Nano)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I was always under the impression that we will need expensive or big SUVs and foreign cars to do long road travels.
Some of the best road trips I have had experienced was in our humble non AC , carburettored Maruti - 800!
In those days stuff like GQ didn't exist! Not to forget the days when as a kid my Grandpa used to take me on long highway tours in his Fiat's, Ambassador's and Morris Oxford's.

What little I have learnt during all these years of motoring: take care of the car, love it, care for it well, understand its limitations nd do not wilfully abuse it. Chances are your car will never let you down. Be it a 600cc, twin Nano or a V-6 BMW !

Happy Motoring!
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:12   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Happy Motoring!
Have you returned to Chennai? Am looking at riding from Kolkata to Chennai and looking for route details.Any tips?
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Have you returned to Chennai? Am looking at riding from Kolkata to Chennai and looking for route details.Any tips?
Dividing my time between Chennai & Kolkata now. From November '20 onwards.
Most welcome to PM me your queries. Will definitely try and answer your questions!
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overall there are no major issues on the Kolkata - Chennai route. I recently did a round trip last month. Some things you may keep in mind:

1) I understand you plan to travel on a motorcycle. In that case, you might like to take it easy and divide your journey into 3 - parts. First day: Kolkata - Bhubaneswar. 2nd Day: Bhubaneswar - Vishakhapatnam. 3rd day: Vishakapatnam - Vijaywada. And on the 4th day you hit Madras.

2) Kolkata - Bhubaneswar: You may face heavy traffic till Debra or the Kharagpur turn - off. Also be careful of early morning ablution aficianados who all think the National Highway is a large toilet and languidly cross the blacktop in their lungi's and water-mug in hand This is primarily prevalent till Kolaghat.

3) At the Kharagpur left sweeping curve which leads you to the Chennai highway, please slow down at the head of the curve, as a lot of trucks are parked on both sides. They tend to a) suddenly drive out without any indications b) and as they roll out from the shoulder their mud caked tyres will deposit chunks of mud and loose soil on the highway, which if you hit at speed in a two wheeler may turn out to be a bit messy.

4) The concerete Kharagpur - Jaleshwar highway is in fine shape. Watch out for the culverts as the culvert joinery with the road & some expansion joints are quite nasty and potential tyre busters.

5) Balasore - Bhubaneswar stretch is fine. There are some diversions along the stretch which you can spot early and should not be a problem. The diversions are actually more if you are coming in from Bhubaneswar to Kolkata.

6) Bhubaneswar - Vishakhapatnam: No issues. Be careful of roaming cattle near Balugaon - Barkul - Rambha - Berhampore stretch. They are quite athletic and I have seen them jump dividers. The locals do not do anything to tether them.

7) Vishakhapatnam entry traffic is baaaad! But since you will be on a two wheeler it should not be much of a concern. In fact traffic starts slowing down from Srikakulam onwards.

8) Vishakhapatnam - Vijaywada: No issues. Some of the concrete stretches may induce unwanted vibrations though.

9) Vijaywada - Chennai: Silky smooth.

Food stops

1) Have a stomach tanking - up session at Kolaghat. You do not have much choice after that. Whatever there is does not inspire much confidence.

2) Balasore, NOCCI Residency: Clean. Hygienic. Clean restrooms. Good breakfast / brunch spread. It's on Google Maps. If you are going from Kolkata, take the narrow right just before the abandoned train track / level crossing as you come down the Balasore road overbridge. The route is well marked.

3) Bhubaneswar: Lot of choices. No issues.

4) Rajahmundry: There's a nice Andhra food joint on the Rajahmundry bypass. I forget the name. Its a complex of pretty looking thatched huts with a two storied main building. Lots of parking and even garden sit-outs. But tell them to go easy on the chilly, if you are not a red-chillies fanatic that is! It's truly 50,000 bhp!

5) Vishakhapatnam: Spoilt for choice.

6) N5 Food plaza on the Vijaywada - Chennai stretch: Time tested. Brilliant.

7) Amravathi (near Gudur): This will be on your right as you are going from Kolkata. You have to make a U - turn and then access it. Good food.

Accomodation

1) Bhubaneswar: Kalinga Ashok. Yes, I know its Government property and many would say sacrilege , stay out of it but that's not the case in reality. Book throught MakeMyTrip , go for the upper segment rooms and you will be pleasantly surprised. Because of the "Gobb-ment Hotel" stigma, its remains empty most of the time, (which is a boon in fact in these COVID times). The upper segment rooms are large rooms, very clean and thoroughly refurbished. The restaurant will customise whatever you want. And there's a huge parking area.

2) Vishakhapatnam: Hotel Best Western Ramachandra, Gaujuwaka Chowk. 200 metres off the Kolkata - Chennai highway. Good, clean nice hotel with good service and covered parking.

3) Vijaywada: Taj Gateway Hotel, Labbipet. 1km from Benz Circle. Nice, comfy, clean. Other alternatives are: DV Manor. Its on the same road, a little before Taj Gateway on the opposite kerb.

Other points

1) As you descend the Balasore road overbridge keep your speed in check. Stick to 80kmph. Sometimes Orissa cops with speed guns lie in wait right at the foot of the downward slope where technically your speed will be highest! So, be careful !

2) Rajahmundry - Vijaywada: There are large overhead high resolution LED boards spanning across the highway displaying your speed in real time. The limit is 80kmph. If you are travelling above that speed, the display turns red and warns you. Good warning system but i do not think it is connected to any penalising mechanism.

Overall, you will enjoy the drive. Ride safe and take lots of care.

Best....,
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 03:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Overall there are no major issues on the Kolkata - Chennai route. I recently did a round trip last month. Some things you may keep in mind:

1) I understand you plan to travel on a motorcycle. In that case, you might like to take it easy and divide your journey into 3 - parts. First day: Kolkata - Bhubaneswar. 2nd Day: Bhubaneswar - Vishakhapatnam. 3rd day: Vishakapatnam - Vijaywada. And on the 4th day you hit Madras. ..,
Thank you for such a detailed post.

I am not sure I want to spend 4 days on road. How would you break this up if I need to be in Chennai on Day 03?

I was hoping to start early morning (4-5 AM) from Kolkata (New Town mostly) - hope that's fine? I assume the warning was to keep an eye out for people who crosses the road?
Old 4th February 2021, 10:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure I want to spend 4 days on road. How would you break this up if I need to be in Chennai on Day 03?
Kolkata - Bhubaneswar: 400 odd kms night halt at BBSR
Bhubaneswar - Vijaywada: night halt at Vijaywada (760'-ish kms / 16 hrs approx)
Vijaywada - Chennai: 400 odd kms

Quote:
I was hoping to start early morning (4-5 AM) from Kolkata (New Town mostly) - hope that's fine?
. Actually you will have a faster exit! Via Belghoria Expressway & 2nd Bally Bridge!

Quote:
I assume the warning was to keep an eye out for people who crosses the road?
Yes. And cattle on the Balugaon-Rambha-Barkul-Berhampore stretch
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kolkata - Bhubaneswar: 400 odd kms night halt at BBSR
Bhubaneswar - Vijaywada: night halt at Vijaywada (760'-ish kms / 16 hrs approx)
Vijaywada - Chennai: 400 odd kms..
Reached Chennai at 10.30 pm on Sunday. Started at 4.15 am on Saturday and me being me, didnt stick to any plans and wanted to take it as it comes.

Initial thought was to hit Bhubaneswar but then wanted to ride further as it was just at 3
pm or so. Had very dense fog towards the borders of WB and the progression was slow. Happened between 6-7.30 am.

Skipped breakfast and wanted to stick to liquid food and ended up having some dahi vadas at some place by the road side and then tender coconut etc.

Ended the day at Srikakulam by 9 pm and was lucky to find a room as few hotels were sold out. Found the roads in Orissa to be very average with a lot of work going on.

Pushed off from Srikakulam at 5.45 am and decided to break the rest of the journey into 2 days as I was really tired on day 01.

Ended up pushing all the way to Chennai due to superb roads. Had a blast on Srikakulam to Vizag road ( took a deviation before 15-20 kms as per Gmaps) & then Vijayawada to Guntur and further till Tada. Overall 99% roads are BRILLIANT in AP/Telengana.

Could manage time better due to superb roads and less fatigue. Also chose to take a 5 min break every hour which I understood was the key to be able to push further. Didnt click any pics enroute since was geared up and wanted to save enough time.

Lockdown Travel: Chennai to Kolkata (in a Nano)-screenshot_20210218204624.png

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th February 2021 at 20:47.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2021, 22:05   #23

Quote:
Reached Chennai at 10.30 pm on Sunday. Started at 4.15 am on Saturday
How was the fatigue the next day?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks