Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2020, 11:49   #16
BHPian

Re: Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Poetry in stone.
Note the row of elephants "holding up" the temple.
What love and dedication drives humans to create such intricate beauty?
And when you are done, do you feel proud of being the creator, or do you set aside your hammer and chisel, and offer some flowers in worship to the Lord? Does the creator become the devotee?
~The End
Very nice .. enjoyed reading these lines.
yash.giri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 12:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent post ! I had visited this temple back in 2013 and was awestruck by it, created a photo story on FB.

Couple of things that I would like to add:

Shiva has always been associated with meditation which in simple terms translates to applying one's brain by the power of thinking and putting to good use. Hence, many structures that are related to Shiva are great engineering marvels. The pillars have corrugated surfaces which help in scattering noise creating a calm ambiance (something Kopeshwar needed in heavy doses ) . Heck, none of the surface is flat inside, the intricate carvings of deities and other things ensure it.

The stone used to build it is not native to that area, meaning, it was brought from somewhere else. They probably used the river Krishna flowing next to it to transport the stones, but how is still a mystery.

Islamic invasion and then the British ensured that the temple was never maintained, some carvings, statues etc have been vandalized or removed and taken as showpieces so the temple lies in tatters unfortunately, only guarded and taken care by locals. Its funny how India misses out on such great marvels. I happened to visit the Stonehenge in UK and the way they have kept the stories alive based on just some stones arranged in a pattern is something worth learning.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Found some on my google drive. Adding some information below:

The temple is divided in three sections: Garbha griha, Sabhamantap/Sabhagriha, Swargamantap. Photography is not allowed inside Sabhamantap and Grabhagriha.

The structure symbolizes three phases of life:
- Garbhagriha : When you are in the mother's womb
- Sabhamantap : Your life on Earth.
- Swargamantap : If you get an entry to heaven

You enter in reverse order, Swargamantap first.
Total of 95 pillars (actually 108 if all over the temple are counted ), look as if they were carved on a lathe machine. The opening on top has two theories. It was left open due to lack of time or some logistical issues OR The opening is left so that natural light falls on the performer. The moonlight falling on the performer would look like a spotlight in modern day stage show.
Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord-8.jpg

The local guide said that inside the Sabhagriha, there is a carving of Buddha too. I saw it but was not sure if it was Buddha. Maybe it was carved during the time when Buddhism was having strong influence and wanted to make it a point ?

The swargamantap is basically a stage where if you are standing in the center, are the performer and people are watching from above (notice the small carvings of people/Gods near the ceiling). This is basically a modern day opera where acoustic engineering is done on the surfaces.
Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord-2.jpg

Such kind of surfaces can be seen in sound testing labs for automobiles.
Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord-3.jpg

The Temple is held by Elephants and their commanding officers with a rectangular stone on their backs, I wonder if the pillars next to them are like those legs which modern day cranes or excavators use in order to reduce movement of the vehicle. As is the case with most temples, none of the two carving is identical. Also, most elephants have lost their tusks and trunks over the years.
Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord-5.jpg

Last edited by NiInJa : 11th August 2020 at 14:18.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:34   #19
BHPian

Fascinating architecture. Thank you for sharing.

As with anything in Sanathan Dharm, one story leads to another. When Shiva held Sati and did the dance of destruction (Tandav), her body parts supposedly fell all over creating 51 Shakti Peeths.

I will also add that you may want to be grateful to the dead hand of ASI. Whenever our bureaucracy (and government) decide to take an interest in our heritage, the outcomes are generally not desirable. In our country, making anything badiya is a death knell, an excuse to roll out the concrete, garish paint and regulatory procedures.
Spaced Out is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 16:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arindam_Nayek View Post
Thanks for the beautiful write up.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash.giri View Post
Very nice .. enjoyed reading these lines.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Excellent post !
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Its funny how India misses out on such great marvels. I happened to visit the Stonehenge in UK and the way they have kept the stories alive based on just some stones arranged in a pattern is something worth learning.
I attribute it to the fact that we are brought up right from childhood to think Goras are superior to us Desis.
This inferiority leads to lack of pride in our heritage, and the end results speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
Fascinating architecture. Thank you for sharing.

I will also add that you may want to be grateful to the dead hand of ASI. Whenever our bureaucracy (and government) decide to take an interest in our heritage, the outcomes are generally not desirable. In our country, making anything badiya is a death knell, an excuse to roll out the concrete, garish paint and regulatory procedures.
Thank you!
My problem is not with the ASI not doing their job, its that they also do not let anyone fix their mess.
I distinctly remember one incident from decades ago, when I was much younger. A group of trekkers from Panvel (I think) went to some fort and cleaned up the place of all garbage. Also, they cut all wild grass.
Guess what. All of them were arrested for disrupting the integrity of a heritage monument. There was a huge outcry from the trekker community, a local politician intervened and eventually the charges were dropped.

While ASI has their fun, priceless monuments continue to crumble to dust in front of our eyes.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
My problem is not with the ASI not doing their job, its that they also do not let anyone fix their mess......
While ASI has their fun, priceless monuments continue to crumble to dust in front of our eyes.
Great write up. Such a wonderful structure.

From what i know ASI generally does a very professional job. However, the complete structure has to be handed over to them for renovation and funds have to be allocated. Read the statement as red tape mixed with Babu Giri. Even UNESCO recognizes ASI and not any state govt's heritage dept.

I have seen their work at many places and they are quite good. Hampi, Mahabalipuram , Sanchi , Lepakshi and even the Taj. All were in ruins under the respective state govt's control and flourished after transferring to ASI. We will hope for the best.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Great write up. Such a wonderful structure.
Thank you!

Quote:
From what i know ASI generally does a very professional job...I have seen their work at many places and they are quite good. Hampi
I have already shared pics of what a "very professional" job ASI has done at Kopeshwar. Here are some more for your perusal.

Maharani Tarabai Bhosale née Mohite, wife of Chhatrapati Rajaram, daughter in law of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, ruled as the regent of the Maratha empire from 1700-1708.
At that time,
  1. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj had passed away
  2. His successor, Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj had been betrayed, captured, brutally tortured and killed by the Mughals
  3. His younger brother Chhatrapati Rajaram Maharaj was stuck in far away Jinji, TN, which lay under siege
  4. Most importantly, Aurangzeb himself had descended upon MH with all the might and treasury of the Mughal empire
In these circumstances, this brave lady, led the Maratha resistance (many a times personally on horseback) and made life a living hell for the Mughals, through guerrilla tactics known as Ganimi Kawa in Marathi. Thanks to her, Aurangzeb never ever managed to subdue the Marathas. In fact he died in MH without ever returning to Delhi.

Such an illustrious brave warrior queen.
This is how her Samadhi has been maintained.
Kopeshwar Temple - The Angry Lord-tarabai-samadhi.jpg

Still feel ASI is good?
Here is another example.

Check out this map.
Name:  Chola Empire.png
Views: 750
Size:  107.9 KB
It shows the Chola empire at it's maximum extent.
This is the result of the greatest ever naval fleet assembled by any Indian emperor ever; The climax of the Cholas, Rajraja Chola.
This is his Samadhi
Name:  Raja Raja Chola Samadhi.png
Views: 594
Size:  700.2 KB

You mentioned Hampi.
I visited Hampi in 2015.
I saw the ASI "museum".
I particularly saw the priceless statues and moortis lying under the open sky in their garden.

Very professional job my foot.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 12th August 2020 at 13:11.
RedTerrano is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 13:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Maharani Tarabai Bhosale née Mohite, wife of Chhatrapati Rajaram, daughter in law of

This is how her Samadhi has been maintained.

The climax of the Cholas, Rajraja Chola.
This is his Samadhi

You mentioned Hampi.
I visited Hampi in 2015.
I saw the ASI "museum".
I particularly saw the priceless statues and moortis lying under the open sky in their garden.

Very professional job my foot.
I guess you have formed your opinion and there is no point arguing but before we move on, i would like to share with you these info.

1. ASI Website:

https://asi.nic.in/protected-monuments-in-maharashtra/

List of all sites under ASI's control in Maharastra. The Kopeshwar temple does find a mention and there are no excuses if the upkeep is not done.

The other samadhi does not find any mention.

2. Rajarajan Samadhi :

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68998309.cms

The site is believed to be the burial place and still not in ASI's control. Its claims have not been verified and it may just be local legend.

3. Hampi :

Yes some of the stone statues are under the sun but inside of the museum. If lying under the sun is equated to neglect then perhaps we need to put a roof on the great pyramids of Giza?.

Anyways , i agree with you that still something better can be done.

Last edited by srini1785 : 12th August 2020 at 13:49.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 14:28   #24
BHPian

Quote:

The site is believed to be the burial place and still not in ASI's control. Its claims have not been verified and it may just be local legend.
The Emperor passed away in 1014
We are discussing this in 2020.
Still not enough time for ASI to investigate and confirm?
Okay then.

By the way, I am glad you shared the list.
Gateway of India built by the British is a protected monument, but the capital of the Shivaji Maharaj, Raigad fort does not even find a mention.

If you still continue to believe ASI are doing an excellent job, then you are welcome to your opinion.

Last edited by RedTerrano : 12th August 2020 at 14:31.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 22:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

That's a beautifully written piece of our mythology. I really enjoyed reading it. Isn't this the same temple which is shown in this song? The song itself is again very beautiful and your pics instantly reminded me of it.

After reading and viewing the pics, I just thought if the ASI maintains such structures beautifully, we could continue to preserve our heritage. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful travelogue.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 00:09   #26
BHPian

Beautiful write up with loads of information and brilliant pics!!
Thanks for enlightening.
Ranjith812 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 03:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, this temple is the actual site of the yagna or is dedicated to that event?

It appears Kerala/Bihar/Uttarakhand also have temples which claim to be the site of this yagna.

Thanks for sharing and the splendid narration.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 07:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a beautifully written piece of our mythology. I really enjoyed reading it. Isn't this the same temple which is shown in this song? Thanks for sharing such a wonderful travelogue.
Thank you!
Yes, it is the same temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith812 View Post
Beautiful write up with loads of information and brilliant pics!!
Thanks for enlightening.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, this temple is the actual site of the yagna or is dedicated to that event?

Thanks for sharing and the splendid narration.
Thank you!
Not the yagna. As per legend, the temple is erected on the site where Lord Vishnu managed to finally pacify Lord Mahadev. This is why you see both the Lords in the garbha gruha. Thus Kopeshwar and Dhopeshwar.
India has many temples dedicated to Lord Vishnu but this is the only temple where He is depicted as a Lingam.
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 10:03   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The Shilahara's were feudal to Rashtrakutas and the language in inscription could be Kannada.
Probably Halegannada (Old Kannada), given the links to the Rashtrakutas and the Chalukyas. And the definite similarities between this temple structure and the Hoysala temples which were contemporary. But I am just speculating.

Quote:
From what i know ASI generally does a very professional job.
Quote:
Still not enough time for ASI to investigate and confirm?
About the ASI, well depending on the opinion you have formed, you can find enough examples to support either argument. They have done some spectacular restoration work on some monuments and of course several more remain neglected. Also it is true that not all monuments come under the ASI, a lot of the minor monuments fall under the state government and it is not fair to blanket blame their neglect on the ASI.

A lot of it depends on the level the push is coming from. Like with anything in our country, if the highest offices are interested in getting something done, things move faster. And if UNESCO gets involved, the government ensures that things really happen.

I'd say a lot of the blame lies with us, not the government, ASI, 'foreign invaders', or 'goras'. How many of us actually care enough about any of the monuments besides how to fit it into the background of a selfie? How many visitors respect our monuments enough to prevent their kids from scrambling on the top of priceless sculptures to take pics? Let's start from there.

There are a few non-govt organizations like INTACH doing excellent work in conservation and they even conduct courses for people interested in going beyond the mythology and misinformation around our heritage. Just before the lockdown I was lucky to attend one such course on the Hoysala temples. One can contribute to those organizations as well.

Last edited by am1m : 14th August 2020 at 10:09.
Old 14th August 2020, 19:18   #30
BHPian

Never has the premise of the journey been more interesting than the journey itself and that too in the travelogues section of team-bhp !! Thanks for sharing and hats off to your narration too.

The temple itself is unique in many aspects but official records are far and few in between ASI and local authorities. A visit to be planned after the relaxation of travel restrictions - that means next year probably.
luvDriving is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks