Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2007, 14:38   #1

DLF gurgaon to Shimla-Naldehra Route info

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Trying to make it useful to others, as it was to me, when I was looking for the information on the route..

Summary:

Car: Skoda RS (Stock)

Route: DLF, PitamPura, Outer Ring Road, GT Road, Ambala, Rajpura, Zirakpur, Shimla, Naldehra

Start Date: 24th March 07
Start Time: 6am
Distance in plains ~290
Distance in Hills ~132
Total Drive time 8hr 30min
Total elapsed time 10 hrs

Return information

Route: (read in reverse order) DLF, PitamPura, Outer Ring Road, GT Road, Ambala, Tepla, Banur, Zirakpur, Shimla Bye-pass, Naldehra

Start Date: 27th March 07
Start Time: 9.20 am
Distance in plains ~290
Distance in Hills ~132
Total Drive time 9 hrs 15min
Total elapsed time 10hr 30min

Average 10.5kmpl
Max speed 180km/hr
Average speed in hills ~35km/hr
Overall Average speed 44km/hr

Overall road condition:
NH1 has lots of widening going on. I took Rajpura route, which was very quick, Rajpura, Zirakpur was an undivided road and hence you could be stuck behind a tractor!.. Crossing Zirakpur would take some time, as huge construction is on. We were stuck in a Jam after PanchKula for about 20min dues to an accident. Also for some reason we took Solan Byepass, which was empty and road was bad in streches. Shimla to Naldehra road is average and you can do 30-35kmph without rattling your bones.

On the return journey, we took Shimla byepass, which I thought was not a good choice, Road was average and i thought it was quite long..

Nearing Panchkula, there were signs of diversion by GMR, the people constructing the bridgem however we were told that small vehicles can go via normal route. We continued to be later diverted towards Rajpura. We took the Banur road to Telpa (15Km short of Rajpura). In all saved about 15Km, but was not worth it, given that the Banur Road is undivided 2 lane road with very bad/cut road on the side, making overtaking very dangerous. One or two streches of about 1km were very bad shape.

Ambala to Karnal was the best part of the journey, road was empty, drove at 140+, touching 160/170. After Karnal it was bad traffic, Panipat was nightmare due to consutrction of a "n mile" long bridge..Surprisingly, after turning on outer ring road and till Gurgaon it was smooth, though I nearly took the U turn lane on the ring road, but managed to come out of the U lane near Rani Bagh(?).

Overall drive was not as fun as I expected. RS was fun, with Power available any time. I dont think I ever needed to give a pass to a vehicle coming from behind. I was mostly in 2nd gear on hills and 4/5 on highway..

The handling of RS was great specially on Hills cornering.. I didn't push it too far with my Kid (8yr) and wife rolling around in the car..

Stayed at Chalets Naldehra, which had great service and nice rooms/cottages. Played a round of Golf at Naldehra course (you need to play it to believe it).. Nice holiday overall and thanks for all the members who posted information on Rajpura Route (Which i believe is default route now)..

Vivek
Old 28th March 2007, 16:13   #2
BANNED

Hi Vivek .. Well I dunno why everyone seems to be taking the Rajpura route , I went to Chd a few days ago and took the normal route with a slight diversion at ambala . It was way faster as it was pretty empty till Zirakpur .

Glad you enjoyed your game of golf at Naldera , I dunno if they still have one hole where you tee of from the hill side and go across the road and into the lil green surrounded by trees all around .

Good first post .... !!!

Cheers

PS -- Dont forget to post an intro , as that usually should be a new members first post !!!

Last edited by khaadu75 : 28th March 2007 at 16:15.
Old 28th March 2007, 16:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_agra View Post
Played a round of Golf at Naldehra course
are you a member over there ? I guess only members are allowed inside now.
Old 28th March 2007, 18:19   #4

You can play and play: 250 Green fee, 70 for the caddie..and "unlimited" lost *****!
Old 28th March 2007, 18:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Glad you enjoyed your game of golf at Naldera , I dunno if they still have one hole where you tee of from the hill side and go across the road and into the lil green surrounded by trees all around .
Yes, it is still as crazy. you cant see the hole, it is about 150 odd yards. I had a good caddie (Raju, handicap of 4!) he guided me and I was playing well (at least from the Tee).. It is easily one of the most difficult course and tiring as well..I finished 18 holes in less than 3 hours with 5 to 6km of ups and downs..
Old 28th March 2007, 18:55   #6
BANNED

Navdeep, Not yet .. but with gold getting popular day by day in Simla -- very soon they will also have that ruling come into effect .

Vivek@ The drive from kalka to Simla is really enjoyable specially in the skoda ... nice winding turns , flat out straights , and some nice sharp bends to keep one wide awake . And the simla bye pass is not a good choice as its super duper long , though its a gud stretch of road .

Cheers
Old 5th June 2007, 18:20   #7
BHPian

I am planning a trip to Shimla next weekend. Came across this thread on searching for some info.

What route would be best for Delhi-Shimla? and typically how much time does it take. I have enough driving exp in hills btw.
Old 6th June 2007, 09:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv View Post
I am planning a trip to Shimla next weekend. Came across this thread on searching for some info.

What route would be best for Delhi-Shimla? and typically how much time does it take. I have enough driving exp in hills btw.
Which part of Delhi do you stay in? If Gurgaon, take Dhaula Kuan and then follow the Ring Road right up to the left turn for the Azadpur New Subzi Mandi. Carry on straight thereafter on NH1. If South Delhi, take Ring Road past Rajghat, ISBT & then take a right turn onto NH1. After Ambala avoid the normal route and go via Rajpura to Zirakpur (you'll avoid the crazy constructions except at Panipat) and then a quick U turn to take the NH to Shimla.

Time taken - depends on when you leave, the earlier the better. Once you reach Kalka, it shouldn't take you more than two & a half or three hours

Last edited by suman : 6th June 2007 at 10:00.
Old 6th June 2007, 11:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Well I did a Trip from Noida-Shimla way back in Feb 2003.
I took this route
Noida- Delhi- Sonipat-Panipat-Ambala-Chandigarh-Panchkula-Kalaka-Shimla.

Roads were good except for some streches between Ambala and Chandigarh.

Started from Noida at 11.30pm(night) and reached shimla at around 7.30am.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great information, Vivek - a few questions:

Where do you turn off at Rajpura to Zirkapur? And where does this road rejoin the main Chandigarh-Shimla road (NH22)?
Any idea about the status of the widening of the Ambala-Chandigarh road?
Are the Solan and Shimla bypass signages well-marked?
MY past experience was even Kalka is a difficult town to drive through - any bypasses there?

Kumar
Old 6th June 2007, 23:18   #11
BHPian

Thanks suman and greatDrive for the info. How is the route suggested by you? and is the construction still on? I mean would it be a good drive? have heard great things about the regular delhi-chandigarh-shimla route!
Old 7th June 2007, 08:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks suman and greatDrive for the info. How is the route suggested by you? and is the construction still on? I mean would it be a good drive? have heard great things about the regular delhi-chandigarh-shimla route!
The construction is ON in a major way which is why you should take the detour via Rajpura - you'll still get some really good stretches on the way (even one stretch on Rajpura-Zirakpur leg) as you are by & large sticking to NH1 & 22 except for NH58 on the Rajpura route.

I did Gurgaon-Kasauli-Shimla in March this year and took this route (its the same as what Greatdrive has mentioned except that at Ambala you take a detour through Rajpura & then back to Zirakpur & then on to Kalka, in any case you don't need to hit Chandigarh to go to Shimla); it was a breeze except for a short stretch at Zirakpur itself & Panipat (return journey). My travelogue is long overdue , watch this space.........
Old 5th September 2007, 21:09   #13
BHPian

How are the roads from Kalka to Shimla ? I am not an expert in driving on hills, have done Jammu - Shrinagar once, so are the roads good enough for night driving or should I start early at 4 AM from Delhi and try to reach Shimla by late afternoon ?

Will a 3-4 day trip suffice to visit other nearby (within 40-50 kms) as well?
Old 6th September 2007, 00:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
How are the roads from Kalka to Shimla ? I am not an expert in driving on hills, have done Jammu - Shrinagar once, so are the roads good enough for night driving or should I start early at 4 AM from Delhi and try to reach Shimla by late afternoon ?

Will a 3-4 day trip suffice to visit other nearby (within 40-50 kms) as well?
Kalka to Shimla is a very good stretch for a hill road. But I would advise against driving at night especially as you have less experience of driving in hills.

I would suggest an early morning start, and you will be in Shimla in 6-8 hours.
Old 6th September 2007, 07:17   #15
BHPian

Thanks Markiv

I am myself apprehensive of night driving, the headlight of oncoming vehicles in Highbeam Mode, the trucks who are always in large numbers is a major headache.

I am planning to go sometime in October. Hope the rush will also subside by then.

Any suggestions of some nearby places and good hotels (Will be going with family)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks