Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 20:53   #16
BHPian

re: Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Kudos to you on driving for nearly 24 hours as a solo driver, that too with family .

Sharing a pic of my old Toyota from North Bengal.
Thank you for the kind words Samba, we all did a trip in Oct-Nov it seems. Your long and elaborated TLs have always been a guiding beacon for everyone and my attempts are just to align to the same. But only because you have a AWD SUV now, does not mean your Toyota is old, its still young. Thank you for appreciating and hope we have a full TBHP meet soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
1. Why didn’t you take the Araria-Bahadurganj-Khoribari-Naxalbari-Siliguri route ? It is way better then through Kishangunj(NH31) and the driving surface is a dream. Asking because you did take the road to Araria instead of moving from Purnia towards Kishangunj.

2. How was the road surface to Bindu? Last time I visited, the road was dug up at places but of course many years have since passed by.
Thank you ABHI for all the help and guidance provided prior to this trip, you are the ambassador of North Bengal to us with almost a North Bengal TL every alternate month. Thanks for the kind words and sincere apologies for missing out on your TL, now I have seen it in details, another great one indeed.

Regarding your questions, during the onward journey, call it my inexperience, I had blindly set the course on google map and whatever it showed as fastest we followed along. Next time will certainly try alternate route.

The main problem of the road to Bindu is the damaged tarmac making the ride bumpy under slower speeds and further elevated by the narrow width in many stretches. I had to be always cautious of incoming traffic from the opposite direction so could not speed up much. In the hairpins sometimes there were much deeper crater and once the under body of the Crysta also grazed, I consoled myself saying its the first hill drive and moved on, although it felt like a blow to the chest . However, in even worse shape are the roads leading to Rocky Islands from Samsing which have bad stretches, narrow width, congestion and house construction works along it. Posting some pictures from the dash cam, apologies they are poor owing to low light and the dusty windshield.

Bad Patch on the way to Bindu
Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-vlcsnap2020120516h24m13s79.png

Route of Rocky Island
Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-35.-bad-roads.png

Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-38.-congestion-rockey.png

Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-38.-congestion-rockey.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Do you mind sharing the expenses of this trip? Especially one ones incurred on lodging and meals?
Thank you dear for great words. I will PM you the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
The greenery is so addictive and those pics of the Kanchenjunga are blissful.

Kudos for solo driving for nearly 24 hours with family. Your travels are an inspiration for many that if you want, it can be done.

I am sure the Crysta was the best companion on those roads. Ever so smooth and non tiring, must have been a joy to cover the miles.
Thank you dear for the encouraging words. Our favorite pick was Delo and the drive through Gorubathan via Lava Road. Travelling with small kids poses lots of challenges and key ones are being in motion and timely feeding. We learnt a lot from this long continuous trip and will rectify next time.

As for the Crysta, yes, a longer wheelbase certainly minimizes the driving fatigue and we could perfectly take longer leaps without significantly tiring ourselves out over almost any kind of roads. Of course our body has its limits while being in motion constantly and we sometimes had to adjust by halting and taking breaks in the middle of the routes. While returning we drove for close to 27 hours and break time within that is 7+ hours. Of course some of that was pre planned like visiting Margaret's Deck or Mother's Hut and if one needs to conserve on journey time then carrying packed food is the best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
I had visited most of the places around the Murti area last year. But wanted to see some more photos of the undulating tea gardens around Matelli.

Quick Q: Do you think a Swift can reach Kolakham? Was reading somewhere its a strict 4x4 zone.
Thank you Sayak for the kind words, I have a long way to go and learning from you all.

We passed the Mateli Tea Garden on our way back from Samsing / Rocky Islands and it was already dark by then so could not get a glimpse of it and the adjoining tea gardens on that route.

Regarding Kolakham, I think its main challenge is the narrow road and being unpaved with uneven rocks poses risk to tyres and traction especially around the harpins. Rest of the portion is pretty flat. Having said that I saw a WagonR with a pahari driver having a side co-passenger and a rear co-passenger on our way plying effortlessly so if Wagon R can do it, so can your Swift. Make sure you are lighter at the rear and loaded at the front considering its FWD car. We did see few Boleros and a Gurkha on the way and some 2-wheelers too. Posting a trimmed dashcam footage of the road to Kolakham if this helps you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Looks like you got to see mount-K from almost all possible locations, be it the plain or the hill
Thank you Hossain da for appreciating, you are our resident custodian of the routes to Siliguri, and your posts on the routes from time to time have been real help in planning the timing. Expect no less than a gala trip once you take the delivery of the mighty Nexon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Thread moved
I never expected that the thread will be reviewed and made live so fast in a matter of 1 hour within submitting and that too in the evening hours. Thank you very much sir and thanks for the appreciation.

Last edited by haisaikat : 5th December 2020 at 20:55.
haisaikat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 15:28   #17

re: Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling

Fantastic Travelogue Saikat Da.
I am quite jealous of you right now. I remember talking to you about the initial May Trip during lunch at office. I had planned to do quite the same route just a week before you did leaving out Gorumara. But had to drop the plan due to some work commitments.

Anyways Congratulations on your first Road trip to the mountains. Wish you do many more trips in the future. I think it's time you invest in a DSLR.
SkyWraith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:44   #18
BHPian

Re: Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I never expected that the thread will be reviewed and made live so fast in a matter of 1 hour within submitting and that too in the evening hours. Thank you very much sir and thanks for the appreciation.
That was an amazing travelogue with even better pictures! I could not skip any sentence. This thread gave me ideas for a vacation with my family.
I have taken notes from the additional information for long distance you have provided and I was hoping you could give this novice some guidance for the roads around Samsing and Paren. My trip is scheduled for the 16th.

Mod Note - Please do not quote an entire post, you are requested to selectively quote and reply.
Thank You.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd December 2020 at 10:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
pu5han is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 02:57   #19
BHPian

Re: Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWraith View Post
I had planned to do quite the same route just a week before you did leaving out Gorumara.

I think it's time you invest in a DSLR.
Thank you Akash for appreciating, yes it feels as if that conversation happened just last week, we had a entire pandemic lockdown in between, time flies. I am sure you will make your North Bengal trip soon, we have been for long left dry after that Bishnupur trip of yours. I do keep watching your bike-ventures from time to time though .

In limited budget I had thought of getting a pro-zoom bridge camera like Nikon B600, but owing to the size of these I had to drop the idea, evaluating mobile zoom clip on lenses. Also the camera's with 1 inch or more sensor size are way more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pu5han View Post
I was hoping you could give this novice some guidance for the roads around Samsing and Paren. My trip is scheduled for the 16th.
Thank you for the kind words. If you are staying around Murti or plan to make a day trip to Samsing, Paren, etc from any of the nearby places then make sure you reach Bindu by 10 am. This is because Jhalong, Paren and Bindu are on the same hill with Bindu being the farthest place. Again Samsing, Rocky Islands and Suntaleykhola is on the adjacent hill. Hence the route order as explained in my TL.

The roads to Bindu are good for most of it, except from Apple Stone to Bindu its broken at few places and a little towards Bindu it becomes a bit narrow so drive slowly, its not dangerous but take caution.

We dropped going to Suntaleykhola so cannot comment on roads, but near Rocky Islands the roads were damaged with some undergoing patch work and not so wide in few stretches. The traffic increases with the day hence my suggestion to start very early by 7 - 8 am latest. We faced a problem in Rocky Islands to reverse our car owing to the parked cars on one side of the road reducing the effective space required for turning around. Eventually (wifey suggestion) went down through the road leading to Hotel Amantran
and utilized its open parking alley to reverse the car and came up again.

Some pictures, pardon the poor quality from dashcam under low lights.

The entrance and road down to Hotel Amantran
Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-amantran.png

Going down the road to Hotel Amantran towards its open parking field
Autumn Drive in an Innova Crysta to Dooars, Kolakham, Kalimpong & Darjeeling-vlcsnap2020121402h42m56s72.png

Last edited by haisaikat : 14th December 2020 at 02:59.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 08:49   #20
BHPian

[quote=haisaikat;4953834]

"Thank you for the kind words. If you are staying around Murti or plan to make a day trip to Samsing, Paren, etc from any of the nearby places then make sure you reach Bindu by 10 am. This is because Jhalong, Paren and Bindu are on the same hill with Bindu being the farthest place. Again Samsing, Rocky Islands and Suntaleykhola is on the adjacent hill. Hence the route order as explained in my TL.

The roads to Bindu are good for most of it, except from Apple Stone to Bindu its broken at few places and a little towards Bindu it becomes a bit narrow so drive slowly, its not dangerous but take caution."

Thank you so much for the advice, I will keep this mind. This was quite helpful for my preparations.
If I may add a few more questions,
Since this will be my first experience with hill driving, would you suggest taking a hired car for Bindu Barrage? (given we will be staying at WBFDC Paren)
As you mentioned that the road around Rocky Island is not in good shape, is there any route you can suggest to travel from WBFDC Suntelokhola to WBFDC Paren? (as going via Samsing Hanging Bridge is one option)
Old 14th December 2020, 22:55   #21
BHPian

[quote=pu5han;4953898]
Quote:
Since this will be my first experience with hill driving, would you suggest taking a hired car for Bindu Barrage? (given we will be staying at WBFDC Paren)
As you mentioned that the road around Rocky Island is not in good shape, is there any route you can suggest to travel from WBFDC Suntelokhola to WBFDC Paren? (as going via Samsing Hanging Bridge is one option)
I do not have much expertise in the alternative routes of Samsing - Suntaleykhola - Paren, you should check with the locals but per Google Maps there is a direct connection from Paren to Rocky Islands which we did not venture.

As for the road condition, the roads are not that steep, you should be able to manage the narrow / bad ones in your own car if you have experience of handling the same in the city / plains which is pretty obvious. Just make sure before blindly following Google Maps to ask locals for important turns to stay on track. Last, drive slow and be patient, this was my first time too.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 10:41   #22
BHPian

[quote=haisaikat;4954776]
Quote:

I do not have much expertise in the alternative routes of Samsing - Suntaleykhola - Paren, you should check with the locals but per Google Maps there is a direct connection from Paren to Rocky Islands which we did not venture.

As for the road condition, the roads are not that steep, you should be able to manage the narrow / bad ones in your own car if you have experience of handling the same in the city / plains which is pretty obvious. Just make sure before blindly following Google Maps to ask locals for important turns to stay on track. Last, drive slow and be patient, this was my first time too.
Sure, I will do so. Thank you so much for guidance. It was of immense help.
Old 22nd December 2020, 11:09   #23
BHPian

Re: Day - 7 / 5th Nov : Drive from Delo to Darjeeling

Quote:
Day - 7 / 5th Nov : Drive from Delo to Darjeeling
We headed to Darjeeling following the route : Delo --> Rishi Road --> Chitrey Waterfalls --> Teesta Bridge --> Peshok Road --> Lovers Meet View Point --> Peshok View Point --> Lamahatta --> Batasia Loop (Ghoom) --> Darjeeling
Hey Saikat... That's a wonderful photologue of the enchanting North Bengal and hats off to your driving patience of 22 hours at a stretch.. Quite inspirational... and sincere kudos to your family for equally enjoying the long drives.

We are planning a similar drive this weekend : Kolkata - Siliguri - Gorumara - Jaldapara - Darjeeling - Kolkata. Of course the local drivings I have not included here. We plan to day drive to Bindu on one side, Jayanti another side and to Cooch behar on the other side from Gorumara/Jaldapara base. I have some specific questions if you could help me with :

1. How was the COVID sanitation protocols adopted by the hotels you stayed in? Anything of concern? We plan to stay in The Reserve, Gorumara and WBFDC Malangi Lodge in Jaldapara.
2. You mentioned around Peshok road, it was steep and I also heard about the same... how Steep was it? A regular Bolero driver there is suggesting to take Sevoke road instead... I will be driving XUV 500... will it be manageable? and where the road is steep, is it narrow as well and how long that stretch is for?
3. Is Driving to Bindu worth it?
4. Any other places you would suggest us to visit?

I am still working on the itinerary and depending on your response will share the final itinerary for your guidance.

Thanks in Advance
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:29   #24
BHPian

Beautifully organized blog.
Continuous driving almost 22 hours without any long rest, that too after having a full day office work, really I cannot imagine. Its great Saikat Da.
Really enjoyed reading the blog. Thanks for sharing.
soumiksett is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, I will do so.
Hello dear, how did your trip go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDragon View Post
Of course the local drivings I have not included here. We plan to day drive to Bindu on one side, Jayanti another side and to Cooch behar on the other side from Gorumara/Jaldapara base.
Thank you for appreciating the thread. Depending on your vacation duration the itinerary need to be planned. This is because you have chosen the extreme end of Dooars that falls within West Bengal from Gorumara on the east to Jayanti on the west and you plan to accommodate both Coochbehar and Darjeeling. Depending on your origin point you should try going from east to west or vice versa or else you will end up spending a lot of time on to and fro.

For example start from Siliguri to Darjeeling, come down to Gorumara, Jaldapara and finally Jayanti and then Coochbehar and return back.

Quote:
1. How was the COVID sanitation protocols adopted by the hotels you stayed in? Anything of concern? We plan to stay in The Reserve, Gorumara and WBFDC Malangi Lodge in Jaldapara.
Out of the 3 places we stayed, Mayfair was most serious where everyone down to the root level staff seemed to have enough awareness. Closely followed by was Delo Tourist Lodge who even showed me the fumigation device they used to sanitize the rooms, people who handled luggage wore gloves. WBFDC Murti was most casual, so I did my own sanitization to ensure own peace of mind.

Quote:
2. You mentioned around Peshok road, it was steep and I also heard about the same... how Steep was it? A regular Bolero driver there is suggesting to take Sevoke road instead... I will be driving XUV 500... will it be manageable? and where the road is steep, is it narrow as well and how long that stretch is for?
XUV500 is having more than adequate power and torque to conquer this route, more so if its automatic but with manuals if you have driven enough on plains especially on those underground parking ramps of few malls then you do not need to worry just be careful to carry enough momentum (20 KM / hr give or take at least) at the hairpins and in 1st gear to be on the safer side until you gain confidence to do on 2nd. The steep slopes are there for initial 20-30 minutes as per as I can remember until you reach Peshok. We descended via Sevoke and my take is that Sevoke is less steep but narrow but Peshok is wider with being a little more steep but nothing unmanageable.

Quote:
3. Is Driving to Bindu worth it?
If you love venturing out on the rocks and clicking photos of the water cutting through them, yes. Or else if you are one of those who loves to stand far and enjoy whatever the landscape offers then not at all worth it. Instead spend more time at Gorubathan, Jhalong and Rocky Islands. All are similar terrain. Of course if you have managed to secure entry permit into the Barrage of Bindu from WBSEB then go for it as you can then see the other side.

Quote:
4. Any other places you would suggest us to visit?
If you have a day's time to go from Dooars to Darjeeling then take the Lava route, you will enjoy the drive with scenic roads. Also see if you can make it to Triveni camping ground. But owing to limited daylight at this time, start early by 8 am at most to be able to reach within dusk at your destination.

Typically with sedate driving a 4-5 hours journey amongst hill roads as per Gmaps can take a whole day from morning to evening with halts and breaks. One more thing, plot the source and destination on GMaps and enlarge the route to see nearby blue-camera icons which indicate places of attraction, which you can decide and add as stops to make the complete route, of course download offline maps to avoid connection breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumiksett View Post
that too after having a full day office work, really I cannot imagine.
Thank you for the kind words dear, wrapping up office on final day always seem to be an all time challenge. It is the single reason of our delayed start which unfolded to further traffic on our way as I have described. But I guess to maximize vacation time this is the only way through.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hello dear, how did your trip go?
I just returned last night and the trip was exhilarating. The locations were simply beautiful, and I hope to write about it on length. Was not pleased with the roads to Siliguri I must say, even with the mental preparation I took, but the sights and drives beyond Siliguri did negate this.
Old 26th December 2020, 07:51   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for appreciating the thread. Depending on your vacation duration the itinerary need to be planned. This is because you have chosen the extreme end of Dooars that falls within West Bengal from Gorumara on the east to Jayanti on the west and you plan to accommodate...

Out of the 3 places we stayed, Mayfair was most serious where everyone down to the root level staff seemed to have enough awareness...

XUV500 is having more than adequate power and torque to conquer this route, more so if its automatic..

If you love venturing out on the rocks and clicking photos of the water cutting through them, yes. Or else if you are one of those who loves to stand far and enjoy whatever the landscape offers then not at all worth it. Instead spend more time at Gorubathan, Jhalong and Rocky Islands...

If you have a day's time to go from Dooars to Darjeeling then take the Lava route, you will enjoy the drive with scenic roads....

Typically with sedate driving a 4-5 hours journey amongst hill roads as per Gmaps can take a whole day from morning to evening with halts and breaks. One more thing, plot the source and destination...
Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs...due to some emergency we started late around 5:30 pm from Kolkata yesterday...a d I did not want to do full night driving... Decided to stay back for the night at Golden Park Malda, which is a decent one right on the highway.

We plan to drive to The Reserve Gorumara, where we are booked for today via Gajoldoba and rest. Tomorrow morning we will have a stroll to murti, chapramari via Gorumara national park before breakfast. Post breakfast we will take the NH 27 to Coochbehar and then via Jayanti will go to WBFDC Malangi lodge.

Next day, we will start early and go to Darjeeling via your route ... We might go upto Jhalong and not till Bindu as u hv suggested and then via Lava to Kalimpong to Darjeeling.

I hope the above itinerary is feasible.

Yes, I have XUV 500 AT. So hopefully Peshok road will not be an issue.

Plotting on Gmap and checking on the spots is really a good idea. Thanks for the tip.

And on protocols, yes that's the difference between star hotels and Govt run hotels. Let's see how is Malangi Lodge doing.

I am typing almost like short cut as it's on mobile, No laptop during vacation

THANKS FOR YOUR GUIDANCE.
DigitalDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 13:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Post breakfast we will take the NH 27 to Coochbehar and then via Jayanti will go to WBFDC Malangi lodge.

Next day, we will start early and go to Darjeeling via your route ... We might go upto Jhalong and not till Bindu as u hv suggested and then via Lava to Kalimpong to Darjeeling.
Everything else looks great in your itinerary, except the Malangi Lodge to Darjeeling via Lava seems a bit of lengthy travel for accommodating on the same day under this limited daylight season.

Google Map shows around 7 hours even without accomodating the detours to jhalong (gorubathan bridge view point offers similar views and you can plan breakfast there) so you must make sure to start reasonably early in the morning and account for 8.5 to 10 hours of end to end travel time considering photography, breakfast and lunch breaks midway to reach Darjeeling by 6 pm. And probably you may have to drop the jhalong detour.

Enjoy the ride on the XUV Diesel AT.

Last edited by haisaikat : 27th December 2020 at 13:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks