Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2021, 22:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali

Brilliant pictures turboNath. Coming from your Corbett sojourn few days back and to now see these majestic preys in action, it’s indeed a visual treat for us laymen.

You have some talent with lens and specially with respect to wildlife and birds. Keep clicking and keep us into your journey. I am sure, we all will be enthralled to be with you in your quest.

Inspired by your pictures and thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Happy clicking
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 01:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Brilliant thread! Enjoyed the lovely pics! But I wonder why we never learned about ox-bow lakes in Geography, haha! I did enjoy the subject very much back in school though.
Thanks TheHelix0202 ! Let me try to fish out one diagram from our geography text book.

Name:  image08.png
Views: 361
Size:  5.5 KB

It might help you to remember if you have come across this unique waterbody ! I wish our childhood Geography lessons could have been conducted outside the confines of our classroom walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishka88 View Post
WHAT A THREAD! Thanks for making this friday a bit more bearable

Here is 1 from my humble 70-300mm lens on a wintery morning at Van Vihar in Bhopal

Attachment 2118471

Thanks kanishka88 ! That's a cute little white throated Kingfisher ! Great capture! Do you know it is the state bird of West Bengal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportymonk View Post
Congratulations for your new Designation in Team BHP. The kudos you earned are worth the hardship you went through during and after the Journey.
Thanks sportymonk ! I absolutely agree with you. The Osprey made our day and definitely made up for the wretched ankle sprain !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Wow. Truly mesmerizing shots. How much zoom have you used for shooting these pictures?

This thread is tempting me to invest in a super zoom lens for my xt20.
Thanks ottocycle ! I used a Nikon 200-500mm f5.6 lens for this. Almost all the shots have been taken at about 500mm (~750mm equivalent on my cropped sensor camera body). I will definitely recommend going for a telephoto that is atleast 400mm and above. I am not aware of the current line up of fuji zoom lenses but I think you can get a pretty sweet deal for a Sigma or Tamron in the 500-600mm range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
What a wonderful thread! Just popped up in hot threads - and enjoyed it to the core. Loved each picture in each of the posts. Thanks for sharing folks. Just what one needed after a hectic work-week. Nature's soothing artwork in action. Nice shutter speed too there . Rating the thread 5 stars!
Thanks a lot Reinhard ! Most of the flying shots are taken at around 1/2500 shutter speed and thankfully the Osprey was 'slow' enough for that. It is a different kind of pleasure to just sit back and watch them in action. Nature has a solution for everything(and everyone) even if it involves a crazy craving for fish !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2111 View Post
Great shots turboNath and a day well spent! Going by the number of posts on Instagram, Purbasthali seems to be the place for all the Osprey action. The fact that you can row a boat here is key. At Asan barrage in Dehradun boating is banned during the migratory season so the bird watchers have all the fun but nothing for us photographers
Thanks nav2111 ! Yes, Purbasthali has become the hotspot for Osprey action in West Bengal and also for Kingfisher with frog kills (we missed it though). The boatmen are mostly knowledgeable about the migratory & local species and that is helpful indeed.

I haven't been to Asan but I believe the preventive measure is to minimize poaching and/or disturbances. Hope to visit it someday.
I sometimes wish I could have just been a bird watcher since that would enable me to travel extremely light without any real worries about lenses, bags, camera bodies etc. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Simply Wow, mesmerized and spellbound by your photos.
Believe me, I always find wildlife photography most challenging and the way you captured the shots looks like a cakewalk for you, I bet wouldn't be one but you certainly made it look like that.

Thoroughly enjoyed the narration as well. Thanks for sharing it with us. Rating this thread 5 Stars for the sheer effort and indeed talent.
Thanks a lot Highh5 ! Yes, we struggled a lot to get these images. Pathetic light conditions, erratic bird behaviour, a rocking boat - all of these just added to our woes but yes seeing this majestic bird up close made it well worth the pain !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Brilliant pictures turboNath. Coming from your Corbett sojourn few days back and to now see these majestic preys in action, it’s indeed a visual treat for us laymen.

You have some talent with lens and specially with respect to wildlife and birds. Keep clicking and keep us into your journey. I am sure, we all will be enthralled to be with you in your quest.

Inspired by your pictures and thank you for sharing your pictures with us. Happy clicking
Thanks a ton ABHI_1512 for the kind words ! I would definitely love to share more of such interesting wildlife tales and I hope it will help a fellow wildlife enthusiast on his/her journey. Glad to be a part of this brilliant forum with so many like-minded people who firmly believe in protecting and relishing Mother Nature's treasure trove of flora and fauna !
turboNath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Superb. I must say you are a master storyteller. Your narration of the events are simply awesome and the pictures are magnificent. It was like watching a movie with someone whispering the events in my ears.

Rated 5 stars
Sujoy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 00:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujoy76 View Post
Superb. I must say you are a master storyteller. Your narration of the events are simply awesome and the pictures are magnificent. It was like watching a movie with someone whispering the events in my ears.

Rated 5 stars
Thanks a lot Sujoy76 for the kind words! The actions of the Osprey were nothing short of an actual thriller movie
Old 8th February 2021, 11:13   #20
BHPian

Stupendous pictures , fueled by "turbo" narration , your new moniker is a very apt fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboNath View Post
As we got busy in clicking few of the migratory birds, an egret decided to steal our attention with a slow flight over the lake. Although it is an extremely common bird, it still looks enchantingly beautiful when it spreads its wings
Couldn't agree with you more , two from my side :

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-img_0996.jpg

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-img_0998.jpg
DriveTrain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 00:33   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveTrain View Post
Stupendous pictures , fueled by "turbo" narration , your new moniker is a very apt fit

Couldn't agree with you more , two from my side :

Thanks DriveTrain ! The egrets are looking resplendent in the morning sun Did you capture them at Purbasthali ?
Old 9th February 2021, 12:37   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Soon enough as the boat got near to the pole, his majesty started flying towards us ! His massive wingspan seemed to get bigger and bigger with each passing stroke of wings. It was truly a magical sight!
Beautiful pics and narration turboNath. I have always been fascinated by birds, and their plumage, mating ritual etc. which makes them much more interesting vis a vis big cats
Raptors are much harder to find and photograph and I always feel happy to spot a Crested Hawk eagle or a Serpent eagle in the wild. Looks like I need to plan a trip to photoraph an Osprey.

Attaching my best raptor click till date.
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-o3.jpg
Old 10th February 2021, 12:55   #23
BHPian

Beautiful pictures taken at Purbasthali. I am a regular visitor of the spot every year, this year also went there on 7th Feb 2021. Adding some of my collection from the trip at Purbasthali from 10 am to 6 pm on that day.

Lesser Whistling Duck
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3271.jpg

Knob Billed Duck
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3419.jpg

Purple Heron
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3518.jpg

Purple Swamphen
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3559.jpg

Common Kingfisher
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3644.jpg

Wood Sandpiper
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3661.jpg

Pheasant Tailed Jacana
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3693.jpg

Little Grebe
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3695.jpg

White Breasted Kingfisher
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3742.jpg

Great Egret
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3760.jpg

Brown Shrike
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3770.jpg

Red Crested Pochard Male
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3860.jpg

Pied Kingfisher
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4022.jpg

Some More captures

Red Crested Pochard
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_3826.jpg

Osprey with Catch
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4173.jpg

Osprey with Catch
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4225.jpg

Osprey with Catch
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4293.jpg

Stork Billed Kingfisher
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4383.jpg

Asian Openbil Stork
The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-dsc_4427.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th February 2021 at 13:16. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Edit option to add to original post. Thanks.
soumiksett is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 01:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Beautiful pics and narration turboNath. I have always been fascinated by birds, and their plumage, mating ritual etc. which makes them much more interesting vis a vis big cats
Raptors are much harder to find and photograph and I always feel happy to spot a Crested Hawk eagle or a Serpent eagle in the wild. Looks like I need to plan a trip to photoraph an Osprey.

Attaching my best raptor click till date.
Attachment 2119974
Thanks procrj ! It's great to hear from so many bird watchers/photographers and fellow wild life enthusiasts in this forum ! Yes, I totally agree with you. Raptors are indeed difficult to photograph in jungle trails (although your stunning Crested hawk Eagle might tell a different story ). However, I was there in Hyderabad when the Peregrine showed up at Osmansagar. It was a joy (and easy) to shoot in the wide, barren landscape!

Here's one from the collection :

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-peregrine.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumiksett View Post
Beautiful pictures taken at Purbasthali. I am a regular visitor of the spot every year, this year also went there on 7th Feb 2021. Adding some of my collection from the trip at Purbasthali from 10 am to 6 pm on that day.

Lesser Whistling Duck
Attachment 2120231

Knob Billed Duck
Attachment 2120232

Purple Heron
Attachment 2120233

Purple Swamphen
Attachment 2120234

Common Kingfisher
Attachment 2120235

Wood Sandpiper
Attachment 2120236

Pheasant Tailed Jacana
Attachment 2120237

Little Grebe
Attachment 2120238

White Breasted Kingfisher
Attachment 2120239

Great Egret
Attachment 2120240

Brown Shrike
Attachment 2120241

Red Crested Pochard Male
Attachment 2120242

Pied Kingfisher
Attachment 2120243

Some More captures

Red Crested Pochard
Attachment 2120264

Osprey with Catch
Attachment 2120265

Osprey with Catch
Attachment 2120266

Osprey with Catch
Attachment 2120267

Stork Billed Kingfisher
Attachment 2120268

Asian Openbil Stork
Attachment 2120269
Lovely pictures soumiksett ! The Knob Billed Duck is a rare find from those marshes. I missed it in Baruipur this season. Thanks for sharing !

Last edited by turboNath : 12th February 2021 at 01:06.
turboNath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 23:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The tight crop of the Black-winged kite is marvelous.
One of the most beautiful narrations of the sequence of events. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the experience. Thanks to C19 even I had the opportunity of visiting Purbastali just before heading back to Hyderabad and I have to say it's a paradise for birders. Because of brutal fog conditions, I could not reach the spot on time however the place never stopped to amaze me.

Here are a few of the captures from my visit.

A Black Kite to welcome us for the day

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-1.jpg

Australasian swamphens were scattered around the landmass from swamps.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-2.jpg

Mallard in isolation, they are always seen in pairs.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-3.jpg

A hungry Pied Kingfisher hovered around just before the catch.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-4.jpg

Open Billed stork waiting at the banks for a snail.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-5.jpg

Redchrested Pochards ( Female )

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-6.jpg

A cute Little Grebe

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-7.jpg

Glossy Ibis, busy finding protein for its trip further down.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-8.jpg

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-9.jpg

The Black-winged kite, giving poor photographers enough time to frame a shot.

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-10.jpg

A school of Redchrested Pochards flying in a pattern

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-11.jpg

Redchrested Pochards in Flight

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-12.jpg

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-14.jpg

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-13.jpg

Finally Eurasian Collared Dove

The hunt for Killer Ospreys at Purbasthali-purbashtali-15.jpg

Appreciate you taking the time to pen down the details and experience, I am sure this will help many like us who plan to take a trip.
ARAY is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 22:48   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAY View Post
The tight crop of the Black-winged kite is marvelous.
One of the most beautiful narrations of the sequence of events. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of the experience. Thanks to C19 even I had the opportunity of visiting Purbastali just before heading back to Hyderabad and I have to say it's a paradise for birders. Because of brutal fog conditions, I could not reach the spot on time however the place never stopped to amaze me.

Here are a few of the captures from my visit.

A Black Kite to welcome us for the day

Attachment 2128211

Australasian swamphens were scattered around the landmass from swamps.

Attachment 2128212

Mallard in isolation, they are always seen in pairs.

Attachment 2128213

A hungry Pied Kingfisher hovered around just before the catch.

Attachment 2128214

Open Billed stork waiting at the banks for a snail.

Attachment 2128215

Redchrested Pochards ( Female )

Attachment 2128216

A cute Little Grebe

Attachment 2128217

Glossy Ibis, busy finding protein for its trip further down.

Attachment 2128218

Attachment 2128219

The Black-winged kite, giving poor photographers enough time to frame a shot.

Attachment 2128220

A school of Redchrested Pochards flying in a pattern

Attachment 2128221

Redchrested Pochards in Flight

Attachment 2128222

Attachment 2128224

Attachment 2128223

Finally Eurasian Collared Dove

Attachment 2128225

Appreciate you taking the time to pen down the details and experience, I am sure this will help many like us who plan to take a trip.

Thanks ARAY ! The pictures look stunning ! The dive shot of the pied Kingfisher is extremely beautiful. My personal favorites are the portrait shots of the Little Grebe & the open bill ! The Glossy Ibis looks magnificent in the sun . Thanks for sharing !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks