Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 23:47   #1

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey

This is my first thread after joining the Team-bhp community. Year 2006, 23rd September to be precise our neighbouring mountain range of Chandradrona parvatas also known as I.D.peeta/Bababudan hill range was awash with the Kurinji flowers in full bloom.

A daytrip on the winding roads of the mountain range on my bike Rx135 5speed with my camera Nikon Coolpix 4500, 4Mbps with shutterlag has captured the moments which we all cherish till today.

Kurinji/Neela kurinji (Strobilanthes kuntiyana) is a small shrub that grows on the windy mountain slopes along with grass is a common plant all along the Neelgiris. In fact the name Neelagiris of South India has its origins to this plant when in full bloom covers the entire mountain range with its violet blue flowers. Interestingly this plant blossoms once in 12 to 14 years. All other periods it remains as a simple shrub. What makes it bloom at a 12 to 14 year period is a mystery.

Let the photos do the talking

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4579.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4571.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4488.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4524.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4527.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4531.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4570.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4499.jpg

Yours truely for the customary shot

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4520.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4555.jpg

Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey-dscn4517.jpg

It has been 14+years since we witnessed this blossom. Till today no signs of Kurinji blossom in our hill ranges raises the questions only nature can answer.

Reasons we assume are
1. Climate change
2. Increased human foot fall (tourism)
3. Change in land use pattern
4. Decreased water retention capacity of the soil.

Hence the name KURINJI WE ARE WAITING.
Enviroclan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:47   #2

Re: Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enviroclan View Post
Kurinji/Neela kurinji (Strobilanthes kuntiyana) is a small shrub that grows on the windy mountain slopes along with grass is a common plant all along the Neelgiris. In fact the name Neelagiris of South India has its origins to this plant when in full bloom covers the entire mountain range with its violet blue flowers. Interestingly this plant blossoms once in 12 to 14 years. All other periods it remains as a simple shrub. What makes it bloom at a 12 to 14 year period is a mystery.

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing the pics. This is the first time I am seeing Kurinji flower in its full blossom up close. Thanks again !
Old 1st March 2021, 10:44   #3

Re: Kurinji, we are waiting : A nostalgic photo odyssey

Your post brings nostalgia for me. It was almost the same time (October 2006) we went to Munnar without any knowledge of Neela Kurinji. We discovered about this flower and its 12 yearly pattern of blossom only after witnessing herds of tourists flocking the place. Hope I can be there again in 2030.
rajguru is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks