Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 15:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Which is the best and safe route to Velankanni from Chennai as I heard that during recent rains, somewhere in the middle, roads upto 10 kms have been washed away.

Any news on the current conditions of roads till Kodikarai and what the exact distance from Velankani? Any good hotels there to stay in Kodikarai?
The best route to Velankanni remains the ECR via Pondy, Cuddalore, Chidambaram, Karaikal and Nagapattinam. I have not heard of any big damage on this road after the rains. From Velankanni to Kodikarai, it is a narrow 1-lane road which normally is good at this time of the year, but I have no update.

Distance from Velankanni to Kodikarai via Vedaranyam is 51 kms. 7 kms before the land's end there is a forest check post where entry is restricted during day hours only - not after 6 pm.

As far as I know, there is no where to stay at Kodikarai, although I did see some small lodges in Vedaranyam town.

There is nothing of much interest in Kodikarai, except the sheer thrill of reaching a prominent land point and the bird sanctuary in that area.
Old 8th February 2011, 11:38   #17
BHPian

Re: Chennai-Rameswaram-Kodaikanal-Chennai

I have an upcoming trip, Nagercoil - Devakottai - Nagercoil. Couldn't find much info on this route here. Google Maps shows NGL-Madurai-Melur-Sivagangai-Kalayarkovil-Devakottai. I had done this trip sometime back on bus and remember going through Karaikudi. Any suggestions from those who have done this route please and of course HVK Sir?
Old 8th February 2011, 12:23   #18
Team-BHP Support

I think the shortest may be through ECR frin Tirunelveli and NH210.

Nagarkoil-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-Ramnad-Devipatnam-Devakottai.

Route via Madurai would cost easily 80-100 Km more, but you will see more 4L GQ
Old 8th February 2011, 13:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nagarkoil-Tirunelveli-Tuticorin-Ramnad-Devipatnam-Devakottai.
Tuticorin [thuthukud] route was in shamble after tsunami.
whats latest update of this route?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 8th February 2011 at 13:12.
Old 8th February 2011, 13:42   #20
BHPian

Thanks Ampere. I see the following options

Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India to Devakottai, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps -- Would be on 4L most of the time - 358 Kms in total

Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India to Devakottai, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps -- Using ECR from Tuticorin. Somehow GM doesn't allow me to connect to Ramnad using ECR road. It takes me to Muthukulathur from Sayalgudi. Distance 344 kms.

Is this what you had in mind?

Last edited by sbkumar : 8th February 2011 at 13:45.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Tuticorin [thuthukud] route was in shamble after tsunami.
whats latest update of this route?
I remember HVK commenting that its in decent shape. HVK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks Ampere. I see the following options

Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India to Devakottai, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps -- Would be on 4L most of the time - 358 Kms in total

Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu, India to Devakottai, Tamil Nadu, India - Google Maps -- Using ECR from Tuticorin. Somehow GM doesn't allow me to connect to Ramnad using ECR road. It takes me to Muthukulathur from Sayalgudi. Distance 344 kms.

Is this what you had in mind?
Yes thats what I had in mind. Looks like the distance may not be that big from Madurai as well (Sorry I mis-calculated). But I think you need NOT switch onto 45B. You can continue on NH7 till Madurai and then turn to Melur. Both 7 and 45B are 4L.

Yes I think there is an issue with Google maps about routing near Ramnad.

As far as ECR is concerned: The idea would be to hit Tuticorin from Tirunelveli.
NH210 is in decent shape, but has Chennai bound traffic.

I think the 4L option is much better.

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2011 at 14:03.
Old 8th February 2011, 14:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I remember HVK commenting that its in decent shape. HVK?
Yes, it's been mentioned in other threads that this route has improved a lot. I think ECR upto tuticorin is quite good, its only the stretch between Tuticorin and Kanyakumari that still has issues.

Quote:
Yes thats what I had in mind. Looks like the distance may not be that big from Madurai as well (Sorry I mis-calculated). But I think you need NOT switch onto 45B. You can continue on NH7 till Madurai and then turn to Melur. Both 7 and 45B are 4L.
I was thinking taking the turn at kovilpatti to NH45B would be better as I believe we need to take a diversion from NH7 to NH45 through the Madurai city otherwise. Is that right?
Old 8th February 2011, 14:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I was thinking taking the turn at kovilpatti to NH45B would be better as I believe we need to take a diversion from NH7 to NH45 through the Madurai city otherwise. Is that right?
I thought there is a by-pass in place at Madurai.
But need to confirm with others.

EDIT: In Google maps, I see a by-pass beyond Tirumangalam just before SIDCO Industrial estate.

Last edited by ampere : 8th February 2011 at 14:53.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

I remember that while i was going from kanyakumari to rameshwaram, we took right turn at virudhnagar toward manmadurai/Permakudi.
The road touches to ramnad-madurai highway at some place, don't remember the name of the place.
The road on this section is narrow but good with less traffic.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 8th February 2011 at 15:09.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ampere on route selection.
Go on NH7 till before Tirunelveli, then go to Tuticorin and from there take the ECR.
ECR is outstanding! It is a superfast drive all the way to Ramanathapuram and also beyond to Devapattinam, where you turn off ECR (onto Trichy/Madras road) and go to DEvakottai, which comes before Karaikudi.

AP, ECR is one of the best roads in that region, the tsunami was so long ago (2004) and lots of water has flown under the Kaveri, Tamraparani & Vaigai since then! In fact, after 2005 the ECR was improved from what was earlier a series of village roads to a true east cast highway in TN.
Old 9th February 2011, 10:22   #26
BHPian

@HVK Sir, Thanks a lot. Probably will try both the routes, and update with my experience once it's done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks