Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 02:16   #16
BHPian

Re: A Photologue of Switzerland from a resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
This is great. Even in Dubai, rules are relaxed wherein no mask is needed in open area however mask is required in closed spaces. As long as you are vaccinated, no need of covid test while entering or leaving country.

I shall compare Lyca and Lebara prepaid and chose accordingly. Basically, i will need data for maps and voip calling so not concerned about SMS or free minutes.

Both URL's are very useful.

With every passing day, i am crystalizing my plan. Your input are highly appreciated.

Based on request from wifey (read as mandate), i have incorporated Tulip garden (AMS) in tour so unfortunately i need to cut short few days in Switzerland.

I will be flying out of Geneva on 30 Apr 22 evening time (tickets booked ) and now i am trying to evaluate below two plans considering i am landing on 26/27 Apr 22 in Zurich or Geneva. I know, it 3/4 days cant be justified for beautiful country. Flight to be booked

Plan A : Land in Zurich on 26/27 Apr 22 and take a car till 30 Apr 22. During these 3/4 days, i will explore places on my journey from Zurich to Geneva by road. Spending night at different places. I still need to finalize pit stops and things that can be covered. It will make sense to drive during daytime.

Plan B : Land in Geneva on 26/27 Apr 22 and explore things around Geneva for next 3 days either by car or local transport - making Geneva my base for 3 nights. However, i could not find much information in and around Geneva for places to visit.

As driving enthusiast, i am inclined for plan A which will also give me more access to different attractions. However, i am not sure about road conditions, what is avg speed i can achieve & if it is safe to drive after sunset. Any word of advice for plan A & B?

Note : I prefer peaceful holidays being with nature rather than visiting all possible tourist places leaving one exhausted at end or day or tour.

Thanks in advance.
@top_gear

Of course ! you can't overlook requests from the powerhouse But indeed Keukenhof is a great place to visit during spring time. Also the timing is spot on, as you may have chance to enjoy the Tulip fields along side the garden. We visited mid may of 2019 and the Tulip fields were already harvested.

Regarding the plans, i would also recommend Plan A for two reasons 1. As you told you can enjoy the Swiss country roads, I would recommend a convertible 2. Zurich to Geneva will cover more scenic routes and you will explore both German and French regions of Switzerland. For example you can go like Zurich > Interlaken > Bern > Lausanne > Geneva.

About the roads, they are in general safe during both day and night. The countryside may get bit tricky during night on some remote places, but highways are very safe. On highways you can average between 100 to 120 Km/h and on country roads between 60 to 70 Km/h. Also note that in April end you have longer daylight (Sunset around 8PM), So you shouldn't have any worries on visibility.

You can flexibly plan your trip with a hybrid of Autobahn and Grandtour (Country side) routes.
Herr_Autobahn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 03:18   #17
BHPian

@Herr_Autobahn

Thanks for all input. I was caught up with preparations especially getting visa. Due to Covid, things are bit complex than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr_Autobahn View Post
@top_gear

Of course ! you can't overlook requests from the powerhouse But indeed Keukenhof is a great place to visit during spring time.
This is done and was fantastic. Surprisingly, found AMS colder than GVA/Interlaken.

Quote:

Regarding the plans, i would also recommend Plan A for two reasons 1. As you told you can enjoy the Swiss country roads, I would recommend a convertible 2. Zurich to Geneva will cover more scenic routes and you will explore both German and French regions of Switzerland. For example you can go like Zurich > Interlaken > Bern > Lausanne > Geneva.
Decided to enter and leave from GVA. Currently, sitting in interlaken and making this post.

Quote:
About the roads, they are in general safe during both day and night. The countryside may get bit tricky during night on some remote places, but highways are very safe. On highways you can average between 100 to 120 Km/h and on country roads between 60 to 70 Km/h. Also note that in April end you have longer daylight (Sunset around 8PM), So you shouldn't have any worries on visibility.

You can flexibly plan your trip with a hybrid of Autobahn and Grandtour (Country side) routes.
I read above lines multiple times. Amazing insight. Made use of your input to drive from GVA to interlaken and decided to take longer route (Country side). It took longer to reach destination but it was worth it. In fact, journey was amazing than reaching destination.

Now before returning car in next 2 days, i would like to check if there are any fines accumulated - just in case. How do i do that? Google shows variable information. I heard, some car renters are good at charging customers with traffic fines that doesn't exist. (My information could be wrong here.)

Any other tips as i am in interlaken for one more day and there is noconcrete plan for day.
top_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 12:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
@Herr_Autobahn

Thanks for all input. I was caught up with preparations especially getting visa. Due to Covid, things are bit complex than usual.
This is done and was fantastic. Surprisingly, found AMS colder than GVA/Interlaken.
Decided to enter and leave from GVA. Currently, sitting in interlaken and making this post.
I read above lines multiple times. Amazing insight. Made use of your input to drive from GVA to interlaken and decided to take longer route (Country side). It took longer to reach destination but it was worth it. In fact, journey was amazing than reaching destination.
Now before returning car in next 2 days, i would like to check if there are any fines accumulated - just in case. How do i do that? Google shows variable information. I heard, some car renters are good at charging customers with traffic fines that doesn't exist. (My information could be wrong here.)
Any other tips as i am in interlaken for one more day and there is no concrete plan for day.
Glad my information was useful to you
Regarding fines i believe they don't put non-existing ones, even if they try you can ask for proof of speed ticket or any other fines issued from the police office (Usually speed tickets are issued by local police department).

Interlaken (or) Jungfrau region offers a lot to explore.

You may try the below options, i am not sure what you have already covered.

1. Brienzer rothorn, Its an amazing steam engine train experience (But weather seems bit off tomorrow).
2. Iseltwald.
3. Blausee (Takes 30 mins from interlaken).
4. Harderkulm.
5. Take a cruise ride on the Lake Brienz (May be from Interlaken-ost till Giessbach falls).
5. Lauterbrunnen (Staubbach falls) or Grindelwald first.
6. Peaks Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) or Schilthorn.
Old 30th April 2022, 01:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:

1. Brienzer rothorn, Its an amazing steam engine train experience (But weather seems bit off tomorrow).
2. Iseltwald.
4. Harderkulm.
5. Take a cruise ride on the Lake Brienz (May be from Interlaken-ost till Giessbach falls).
5. Lauterbrunnen (Staubbach falls) or Grindelwald first.
6. Peaks Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) or Schilthorn.
Amazing. Thanks for quick expert advice. Managed to cover couple of points as i had Antigen appointment in evening - interlaken.
Old 2nd May 2022, 17:51   #20
BHPian

Wow, it is so beautiful. Never seen such a clear sky in city.

Noted some points and bookmarked the thread, if I ever get to come there will explore these places.
Old 2nd May 2022, 19:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Managed to cover Blausee on my drive back to GVA. It was just 1 hour total off track. It was worth for sure even though i had to leave 2 hours early. It started raining heavily when we reached lake.

It was amazing. Thank you for your input.

Plan to give details about my learning towards first time drive in Swiss Alps once i reach to my base so other members can also benefit from latest information especially from covid perspective. Currently, in Italy for business requirements.

@Herr_Autobahn. Thanks for all your input. If you plan to come to DXB anytime and looking for any information, feel free to reach out to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks