Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2021, 16:41   #1
BHPian

2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family

I never imagined having to drive to Chennai in the midst of a raging pandemic. But then, as luck would have, had sent my wife and kid over to in-law's place in April. They too were a bit tensed to travel by air but with God's grace that onward journey from Trivandrum went well. Now, the return was always tricky as we had planned to play it by the ear depending on the situation. The idea was to vaccinate my in-law living along in Chennai before coming back. One thing led to the other and invariably the 3 week window we had decided overshot.

By then the second wave had become such a big tsunami. When IPL was called off and one of the reason stated was a chance infection in the airport, wifey got the cold feet. We ended up losing the return airfare, but in hindsight, I felt it was a good decision. We heard stories of how people with covid had travelled from Delhi to Trichy via flights, so there ended the flight sojourn.

The decision was to travel on 8th May and come back the next Monday. Bang on 7th May, Kerala announced strict lockdown. The late thursday CM presser gave very little details for interstate travel so I had to put off the trip at the very last moment. The little one was expecting my arrival and that spurned a series of video calls and crying. But head over heart, told her to hold fort until things were clearer. I kept tab of developments over the week and though we had to take special ePass from Police department to even move within the city, planned the trip for the 14th weekend. Being Ramadan, I had an off so could do with one leave less.

Now comes the challenge. Mom was all alone so had to drop her off at my cousin's place a good 11 kms away. Started at 4:30 Am and stealthily dropped her off at my cousins place. From there, made the way to Chennai in pouring rain. Tauktae was just starting to show its effects. Had a belief that if I could make it to the Pazhavangadi Ganapathy Temple without hassles, I should be well on my way. This place is infamous for getting flooded during rains, nevertheless, without seeking His blessings, I have not started on any long trips. Thankfully, the first goal was met. Started from there at 6:15 AM.

Now this is one long trip but is manageable if things were normal. Lockdown, crossing state borders and non-availability of hotels/restuarants and even a small help made this a complex one. Had made extensive preparations with the available resources. I had recently serviced The Road Runner - our 10 year old Santro Xing GLS, but was aware of teething issues. The tires were up for replacement. Michelin shoes were on its last leg and the exhaust had been welded twice. Had replaced the timing belt so was sure no issues would come up from the engine. The relationship with our cars are such that you'll know its readiness the moment you crank the ignition. As always, told RR that I needed her to be in ship-shape for this trip, but then Murphy always lurks around right?.

The first issue I had before starting the trip was lack of availability of Nitrogen for the tires! I have standard tire service shop where I usually check and I was aghast that NO2 supply had been stopped to assist with O2 requirements in hospitals. I routinely maintain the pressure on the 4 wheels plus the spare one always is on higher pressure. Yet, this has never happened to me and I was a bit worried given the state of my tires.

Now, from logistics side, I made sure I had 12 liters of drinking water, a flask full of piping hot filter coffee, breakfast and lunch packed. More on the food when we come to it. But yes, I was confident I could help at least 1 person additionally with food if the need arose.

In all this melee, I told my wife not to inform our daughter and leave it as a surprise as I was really unsure if would be allowed to drive till Chennai. With all e-passes in order, I moved on from Trivandrum.

The rain god had no mercy and it was pouring. The route is known to me yet till I reach Kavalkinaru, the place where we join the NH 45, always had to be driven carefully. The first scare was when I was reaching Neyyatinkara a mere 20 kms from Trivandrum. A biker coming in the opposite side tried to overtake a lorry coming down a slope, panicked on seeing RR and braked hard. The bike skid and he fell on my side of the road skidding all the way. I had a fraction of a second and swerved left and missed him by a whisker. I was at 45-50 kmph and quickly made a u turn, returned to check on him. By then a M800 behind me also stopped and got down to help him. The M800 driver was also saying it was providence that he didn't come right under my wheels. Ensured the biker was not hurt and checked on the bike. A few scratches on the bike and a torn slipper were the damages. He didn't want to go to a hospital and saw he was okay. Thanking Lord Ganapathy, I turned around and went ahead. Next stop would be the TN border at Kaliakavilai. Surprisingly, no cops, no checking and I just went through quickly. There on, I drove sedately till I hit the highway, without further issues. The rains too stopped after Nagarcoil.

Just after entering highway, there is an ESSAR petrol pump and thankfully, they had nitrogen. Checked all the tires and then drove on. What is generally a road that sees constant traffic was devoid of any plus many places, the road was pathetic and there are places where bridges are being built. There is an iconic pass where the road bifurcates a red hill and has been seen in many movies. I had always wanted to stop by and have my food there. So made that my first pit stop.

The breakfast was simple: Chapati, chili paneer sabzi that I made the previous night, mom's pickle and filter coffee. I had picked up a small tub of Mango shrikhand too. Well, what's a long drive without good food right? I have the practice of opening up the hood while the car is parked. Did so and went about setting the breakfast spread. Lo and behold! The breakfast spread.
2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family-breakfast1.jpg
2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family-breakfast2.jpg

Stretched a bit, checked the tires and hopped in again. Now the second issue. The AC which was working fine till then just stopped working. The airvents only blew normal air. So, switched off the AC and drove with the wind buffeting all around. All the tolls were a breeze to go through one thanks to zero traffic and second due to FastTag. Only wish is that they had overhead readers that didnt have us to pass through a booth and a boombarrier. Now the way I do these long drives is to plan it as 150 KMs sprints. Keeping company was Amazon prime music.

Now, in a way, this unplanned long drive was a blessing in disguise. All of us have been working like crazy the past year and there has been no separation of a working day or a weekend. I was yearning for that one or two days where I needn't open the laptop or attend Zoom calls or even a phone call. This drive fulfilled that desire. A blank mind, endless roads, good music and self for company. Of course the family kept checking to see I was sleepy and was doing good.

Passing through the highway and through Sattur, Tiruvelvelli, Kovilpatti, it was evident that People gave two hoots about Corona. Infact the market adjacent to Sattur highway was brimming with activity. No social distance, no masks and at least 200+ people inside. Could only pray people are more logical. Coming back, the roads are literally empty. Not a soul on either side. I pulled over a bit to check on the AC outlet and tried AC on. Miraculously, it worked!By then the temperature was soaring and I would not have been able to pull along in that heat.

After a 20 mins stretch break after Thirumangalam on the Madurai- Trichy road, went cruising ahead.

2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family-enroute1.jpg

The 35 litre tank was holding good. The RR used to give a good return of 19-20 Kmpl during these highway runs. But with the low occupancy and windows down, I was sure it would have reduced. Plus RR had started showing signs of ageing. RR had always been serviced in Hyundai service centres with periodic oil changes etc. I decided to refuel once I crossed the 470 KM mark which I would hit once I crossed Trichy. Always fueled only at HP pump, I topped up at 473KMs. The reading showed a mileage of 17.61 Kmpl. With food for the car, it was time for me to fuel up too.

Was talking to my friend from the US who was asking if there were any more tamarind trees on the highway. Happenstance, found one and settled down for lunch. Had asked mom to pack Kerala Red rice and onion vathakuzhambu, a Tam-Bram staple that will last a long journey. With curd, pickle and chips for company, it was my own version of "Highway on my plate". washed the plates and vessels and stretched on the back seat for 20 mins. A total of 40 mins break and was ready for the final leg of the journey.

2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family-lunch.jpg

Till that point, there were no checks nor roadblocks. Just 10 kms into the final leg, a group of Police and revenue department officials stopped and checked. Had my epass handy and explained them that I was going to pick my family and they let me go.

Had a final stop at 4:30 PM for a coffee break, which surprisingly was still hot and moved on. Just before Perungulathur, the Police messed up the traffic in the name of checking and when there was a pile up, they just let us go. I really dont understand these namesake checks! I finally reached my destination at Madipakkam exactly at 6:30 PM.

Door to door the distance was 775 kilometers with a decent mileage at 17:16 Kms. The highlight? Just before entering homerun, had called up wife to bring down the little one. That was one beautiful moment to cherish ofcourse didnt allow her to come near me. That surprised reaction from her and that unbridled joy was well worth that long drive. Spent the night resting. Had a slight doubt that Mr.Murphy would hit us again.

True to his traits, when I checked RR the next day, the left rear tyre was flat. And here was the culprit.
2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family-culprit.jpg

Finding a mechanic was not easy as lockdown was imposed in TN, but the one who came said the petrol pumps would repair the flat tyre. Changed the spare and went in search of a repair shop. Finally found the guy at Velachery HP petrol pump. Puncuture repaired, all tires checked for nitrogen and full tank later, parked RR in a friend's parking slot in their apartment.

The return journey too was a bit of concern since Trivandrum was under triple lockdown and RT-PCR negative was mandatory. We didnt have the time to get the tests done. We called the Trivandrum Police Media cell and they said if we had the epass, we should get through. Started at 5 AM on monday and this time, the checks were manifold. At every district, had to get down and register at police booth before proceeding. Was a bit worried about Trivandum police letting us in. But, the CI at Kaliakavilai was helpful and when I told him that I am only 33 kms away from home with a tired family, he allowed us to pass through after registering at the check-post.

Reached home again at 6:30 PM even with more breaks. All through the drive, the car was driven within 90-95 KMPH and could only bow down to the ever reliable Road Runner. This trip saw RR cross the 87000 Km mark. Had it not been for the lockdown, it would have hit the 1 lakh mark for sure.

A few things to note:
0. Believe in your steed and it will never let you down
1. Cars should always be kept ready.
2. Do not travel long distance unless absolutely necessary during lockdown.
3. Being together with our families is a blessing and we should be grateful for that
4. Being able to drive is a blessing!

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and Stay Blessed!
theroadrunner is offline   (56) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 17:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2 States, Lockdown & a Solo Drive to bring back my family

Thanks for this fascinating travelogue.

It shows how difficult it is to travel during a pandemic, especially when the country is under lockdown.

We had a similar experience when we had to visit our native place to take stock of the damage caused by cyclone Nisarga. We came across two checkpoints but weren't stopped by the cops.

Although our journey was much shorter, we avoided stepping out of the car. Instead, we parked on the roadside to grab a bite.
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 12:04   #3
BHPian

Well written with good pace, felt like I was experiencing it alongside you at each of your stops. Like a good movie, risks were taken and rewards were received for the same , glad to know all worked out well. It would have been such a pain if they didn't allow entry to Trivandrum.

We've had plans for travel during that time, but decided against it because of the second wave. Sometimes I do feel that we should have gone for it, at least it would have been a break from the regular routine. But reading your entry makes me think it was a good idea to stay put. The angst is probably not worth it.
astrodex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 14:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
A few things to note:
3. Being together with our families is a blessing and we should be grateful for that
Wonderfully quoted and a well written travelogue.. i enjoyed it and hopefully you reached safe. I have a celerio and I totally believe in my car, it's a bond which you set with each vehicle...
PioneerNB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 20:50   #5
snr
BHPian

Glad you made it safely! It must have been part exciting part nervousness isn't it?

I always wondered how highways looked with absolutely nobody around. Glad you could experience it!
snr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 21:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadrunner View Post
I never imagined having to drive to
Was talking to my friend from the US who was asking if there were any more tamarind trees on the highway. Happenstance, found one and settled down for lunch. Had asked mom to pack Kerala Red rice and onion vathakuzhambu, a Tam-Bram staple that will last a long journey. With curd, pickle and chips for company, it was my own version of "Highway on my plate". washed the plates and vessels and stretched on the back seat for 20 mins. A total of 40 mins break and was ready for the final leg of the journey.
Lovely read and awesome luck you got to travel in these weird lonely times! But the thing I kept thinking back about after I read this were that lovely shot of the amazing Matta rice and Tapioca chips! I guess that settles that argument. I'm a foodie before a petrolhead!

And congrats on running RR and keeping her in good shape for this long. Bloody brilliant!
Annibaddh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 22:05   #7
BHPian

Excellent write up. I used to drive nonstop without stopping to eat. I wonder if I missed out on the small joys when I looked at the platter. The hill where the road cuts through was known as reddiarpatti hills. It was nearly 50 km from where I lived. This area used to be rife with petty crimes before the police took control. Those with families should exercise caution.
Torque250 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 11:05   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroadrunner View Post
A few things to note:
I agree with all of these points you listed. I would never forget how I was stuck in Pune during the first lockdown.

By mid-May, the desperation and anxiety levels were so high that I was ready to hire a cab and reach delhi somehow. The cabs were charging close to 60k.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a car in Pune since I relocated 2 months before the start of lockdown. The pandemic has been really tough.

Good thing was that the flights resumed from 25 May and I was able to reach home by end of May.
s.jain1990 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 16:25   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.jain1990 View Post
I agree with all of these points you listed. I would never forget how I was stuck in Pune during the first lockdown.

By mid-May, the desperation and anxiety levels were so high that I was ready to hire a cab and reach delhi somehow. The cabs were charging close to 60k.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a car in Pune since I relocated 2 months before the start of lockdown. The pandemic has been really tough.

Good thing was that the flights resumed from 25 May and I was able to reach home by end of May.
I can understand your desperation. There are times where you just need to be in the place of your reckoning and until that happens, its difficult. Glad you could also make it back home! I was also in Nashik just a couple of weeks before the first lockdown was announced and a cab from there to down south was close to 1 lakh! Stay safe and healthy.

Thanks, Tushar. It was both an exhilaration as well as worrisome. I hope all is well back home, post Nisarga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodex View Post
Well written with good pace, felt like I was experiencing it alongside you at each of your stops. Like a good movie, risks were taken and rewards were received for the same , glad to know all worked out well. It would have been such a pain if they didn't allow entry to Trivandrum.

We've had plans for travel during that time, but decided against it because of the second wave. Sometimes I do feel that we should have gone for it, at least it would have been a break from the regular routine. But reading your entry makes me think it was a good idea to stay put. The angst is probably not worth it.
Astrodex - Glad you liked the writeup. Had not written anything for quiet a long while and this trip had to be shared. Yes, taking that calculated risk definitely helped and luck too favored. Post the final check post it was home run. Funnily enough, we could make it from Chennai to Trivandrum, but it took me 4 days to bring back Mom home from within Trivandrum. All's well that ends well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerNB View Post
Wonderfully quoted and a well written travelogue.. i enjoyed it and hopefully you reached safe. I have a celerio and I totally believe in my car, it's a bond which you set with each vehicle...
Thanks! Cars and us - we have that beautiful bond, don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snr View Post
Glad you made it safely! It must have been part exciting part nervousness isn't it?

I always wondered how highways looked with absolutely nobody around. Glad you could experience it!
snr - ha ha ha, the empty roads in these situation are scary to be honest. I had to constantly remind not to exceed 95 kmph, always be on the lookout for that bad patch or any shattered glass on the roads. I can only thank that years of driving experience to thank me for this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Lovely read and awesome luck you got to travel in these weird lonely times! But the thing I kept thinking back about after I read this were that lovely shot of the amazing Matta rice and Tapioca chips! I guess that settles that argument. I'm a foodie before a petrolhead!

And congrats on running RR and keeping her in good shape for this long. Bloody brilliant!
Thanks buddy! Join the club! To quote a cliche` isnt it all for that one square lunch we labour so hard?? RR is what she is today because of my family and friends too. They know I wont let anyone else drive her and they know that I am particular in the way people enter, shut/open the car doors etc. Call it obsessive, but it has definitely helped maintain her well. My friend still says he cannot believe that the polythene cover on the passenger side visor is still intact after 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque250 View Post
Excellent write up. I used to drive nonstop without stopping to eat. I wonder if I missed out on the small joys when I looked at the platter. The hill where the road cuts through was known as reddiarpatti hills. It was nearly 50 km from where I lived. This area used to be rife with petty crimes before the police took control. Those with families should exercise caution.
Aha! Yes, I was very skeptical about this particular place. Infact, I left my chain and rings at home precisely for this reason. I knew of this place and I had nothing flashy on me incase someone decided to stop me. Probably my love for cooking is what makes me want to explore newer places and its varied cuisine too. What's a long drive without some "me" time for food? Hope you have many interesting trips ahead.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th May 2021 at 20:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
Old 30th May 2021, 18:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

A nice read, thanks for sharing! Some journeys have a charm of their own, and when in unusual (but not under emergency) situations, it just becomes a delightful experience.

That said, do get your a/c checked. It shouldn't just conk off (and then work again) without some reason. Also, now would be a good time to invest in a portable air compressor, a puncture kit and basic tools so you're more at peace when traveling long distance.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks