Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Best 'night-drive' routes in Indian cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
While everyone talks about the nice roads for night drives, while me in Kerala
I've been on a cab from Kochi to Allepey can remember the road being pretty nice with gorgeous bridges over the backwaters! If only there was nice long NH with backwater on one side and the sea on another!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Surprised nothing from TN, so let me do the honours.
drive down OMR, while the roads are broad, you only get the bog standard IT city infra - tall glass building after tall glass building.
I mentioned Chennai in the OP

I liked driving down OMR too, especially on the Tidel Park stretch (after NIFT). Arrow straight smooth road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav_a View Post
+1. Especially on full moon nights, with glitter sea by your side, the ride will be amazing. My favorite is to park the car near Muttukadu bridge and watch the full moon rise out of the sea from the bridge.
Oh yes! Still have memories of dining at a place on Kovalam beach under the full moon. They even used to have a surf festival every year. Even the Kelambakkam - Kovalam road isvery scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I don't have photographs, but drive from Srivardhan to Diveagar on a full moon was an awesome experience. The road runs along the shore and you can see the waves glittering under the moonlight with fishing boats with their twinkling lights!
Thanks for sharing. Bookmarking it for whenever I can make it there

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchandap View Post
Can you share the location for this.
Here is the Google Map location:

https://goo.gl/maps/XCpbF5425h8NRkgT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
It tests every sinew of your driving faculties. It teases you and your car, titillating your automotive senses. It teaches you to understand your limits and be one with your machine.
For me, it's a classic
This sounds like a real adventure!

Last edited by iamitp : 2nd July 2021 at 17:19.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:36   #32
BHPian

For Bangalore, Electronic city to Krishnagiri. Traffic is terrible till Hosur but beyond its great.
There are a lot of eatery and filter coffee options and better roads for sure. There is a Shri Krishna Bhavan(just next to McD), and they make excellent Ghee roast, so that also has been the reason for me.

It used to be the NICE road for me, but it's just boring at night, plus plenty of traffic all the time, and trucks at the night.
abtyagi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 18:20   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Absolutely, this is a very soothing stretch to drive on and is somewhat of a ritual for us during Sunday afternoons. Cruising past a rain soaked racecourse and the maidan is sheer bliss!
Absolutely, that stretch remains the eternal favourite. Also, alternately, one can also go towards the second Hooghly bridge and take a u turn from the bridge to complete another circle of blissful drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Siliguri to Kurseong via Pankhabari.
Post 9pm.
The fun starts from the famous wooden bridge just after Pankhabari village post office.
Empty roads, 1 in 5 gradient 1st gear hairpins, sudden fog drifting in without any warning, the chilly Himalayan air, the continuous chirping of the crickets, the sudden dips and off camber bends, specially around the many culverts, the forests just before Makaibari Tea Estate. (If you are lucky you can even spot the odd fox or the civet cat cross the road!)
I thought of putting both the routes- Pankhabari and Rohini in this thread for a scintillating night drive experience but then desisted. I didn’t want folks driving for the first time attempting those routes in the night, specially Pankhabari one. But then since you already mentioned the thrill, I agree

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 2nd July 2021 at 18:37.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I see some brave Bangalore guys have volunteered to post in this thread :-) C'mon guys - other than highways outside the city, there is not a single patch within the city to enjoy a good drive. Vidhan Soudha, CPRI (IISc), etc. are all like 1km odd sections. In fact, it is hard to find a "straight" road in this city. Recent white-topping has made road surfaces very bumpy - better than having potholes but it's no match for a freshly laid asphalt. If they hadn't done those dumb magic underpasses "High grounds to Hebbal" would have been a great road within city. Overall Bangalore is dreadful as far as city roads are concerned and the recent trend of white-topping has killed any future possibility also.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:44   #35
BHPian

One of the many from Hyderabad.

ORR stretch from Airport entry till the Gachibowli flyover signal at night. Brilliantly lit 4 lane road. Butter smooth, pretty much disciplined traffic.

Oh and not to forget, the skyline of the Financial District from near Narsingi.

Am amazed at how fast and how high up the buildings in this area are. In the next 5 years, this place will be even more amazing.

Last edited by racer_ash : 2nd July 2021 at 19:46.
racer_ash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 22:59   #36
BHPian

My favourite routes in NCR -

1. AIIMS to Sarai Kale Khan on Banda Singh Bahadur Setu (also known Barapullah) - it’s an elevated road with nice curves.

2. DND - Greater Noida expressway. Great for cruising at off hours, one can also stretch here. Road is well lit up with great high-rised residential / commercial structures.

3. Delhi - Gurgaon on NH8 - all time favourite.

4. Lutyens area - Great for late evening drives, especially the Shanti Path.
divyadeeptsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 01:18   #37
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mumbai:

- Start at Nariman Point. If you're coming from the suburbs, then use the Freeway as that is a fun drive in itself to reach Nariman Point.

- Park car at Nariman Point. Admire its looks & design from various angles. Sit on the edge and enjoy the ocean view.

- Cruise on Marine Drive Park car. then go up to Malabar Hill -> Hanging Gardens -> Peddar Road.

- Thereon to Worli SeaFace
Once upon a time this too was a good place to park the car

- If you still want to roam some more, from here, either go to Juhu or Bandra and cruise around the little lanes (very very charming), Carter Road & Band Stand. Park car
Modifying the post above. While this thread is about drives, some of our best intra-city drives gained character with the conversations that started when we parked the car. And we always park the car, it is how we remember each drive!
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 14:25   #38
BHPian

Update - chanced upon another gorgeous road in Delhi yesterday when I turned from Gurjar Chowk into Chhatarpur Main Road towards Radha Soami Satsang Beas. Beautiful Cantt-style roads over the undulating Aravallis! Flanked by Ashrams and ITBP Base. Drove a full circuit before backtracking to Gurjar Chowk and driving to rain soaked Mangar Valley. Continued further to Aravali Wild Camp for surreal sky and stone views before taking the Sohna route into Gurgaon.
Old 4th July 2021, 17:55   #39
Senior - BHPian

In the Madras:
  • Haddows Road Standard Chartered Bank to Citi Center
  • Santhome to RBI on Beach Road
  • Thousand Lights to Irumbuliyur
  • Vettuvakeni to Kanathur (and beyond) on ECR
  • Siruseri to Madhya Kailas
  • Raj Bhavan to Greenways Road (used to be till Besant Nagar Beach in the heydays, which is now full of speed breakers)

Other places
  • Bangalore - St. Johns to Airport Road bridge (in a past life). Half of it is destroyed to metro work now.
  • Bangalore - Nelamangala to Yeshwantpur elevated road
  • Indore - Liked the drive from Sayaji to airport on other end of the city. Can't remember the road
  • Trichy - Number 1 tollgate to Grand Gardenia on bypass road
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 11:49   #40
BHPian

From Kolkata, but since the known routes are covered I will add two routes from Chennai which I frequented during to college days,

Starting from VR mall, crossing Koyambedu and hopping onto Outer Ring Road where it ended at Vandalur. The lights there are amazing.
Best 'night-drive' routes in Indian cities-img0063.jpg

Another one I took is a round trip from Chengalpattu to Perungalathur. Amazing highway with occasional speeding lorries, but a scenic drive/ride.

Last edited by pu5han : 6th July 2021 at 11:52. Reason: Incorrect Image attached
pu5han is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 16:12   #41
BHPian

One of my favorite stretch for night drive is from Bangalore towards Kolar and from Bangalore towards Yadiyur. I used to drive all the way till woody's or to Hotel Dhruvathare at Yadiyur, have a hot tea and drive back home.

As long drives and overnight stays were a challenge during these pandemic days, this route is a stress buster for me during weekends any time of the day and of course it glitters like Kolar gold during twilight

On my way back from Kolar

Best 'night-drive' routes in Indian cities-img_20201122_180247.jpg
glovins2004 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 16:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Not many contenders for the "best" route (night or day) version when it comes to Pune , in my view.

However, when you step out of the city corporation limits, then the fun starts.

The old Pune-Mumbai highway has been a driver's delight, for many a seasons now. Then there's the stretch from Warje/Chandni Chowk to Wakad, ofcourse only when the asphalt is newly laid. And there's the NDA road, which goes up the hills.

Difficult to drum up more options on the fly, in the Oxford of the East.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:43   #43
BHPian

Sharing some new clicks from my recent Aurobindo Marg and Mathura Road night drives.

Tomb of Abdur Rahim Khan and the Qutub Minar.

Best 'night-drive' routes in Indian cities-whatsapp-image-20210714-2.41.00-pm.jpeg

Best 'night-drive' routes in Indian cities-whatsapp-image-20210714-2.41.28-pm.jpeg
Old 15th July 2021, 16:15   #44
BHPian

Ahmedabad -

From RTO Circle to Vasna exit on the Riverfront. Take the east side up and west side down. Lovely views all through. Maybe a detour from Income Tax to Central bank and the lovely Siddi Sayed Mosque and the famed 'jali'. and tea at Lucky. ~9kms one way.

From Airport circle (Ummed) to Jivraj Mehta Bhavan (Gandhinagar). Lots of peacocks roam freely around this area in Gandhinagar (esp at dusk). Lovely wide, green roads throughout. ~50kms round trip.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks