Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2021, 09:25   #1
BHPian

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris

It was mid October, 2020 and my son had just turned 16 days, and I needed to be hospitalized for COVID treatment. Despite all the precautions the virulent virus got hold of me and my parents, fortunately sparing my wife and son. At a time when the city of joy indulged itself in the celebration of Durga Puja festival, we moved to a different flat for isolation for a week while the rest of my family stayed in another flat counting the days for my recovery.

In such a difficult time, a big helping hand came from my beloved sister and her other half Sourenjit, who reached Kolkata on October, 18, making a long arduous journey by their brand new Toyota Yaris from their abode in Jaipur, Rajasthan with barely minimum driving experience. Getting the closed ones besides in such time always reinforces my belief in strong family ties. And BBC there we resolved to make a good trip together to revitalize our mind upon my recovery. So the story began.

Time-lapse of the trip

Our journey commenced on April, 9, we took an evening flight to Jaipur where my sister and Sourenjit to join us. Ohh.. I should not forget to introduce the fourth member of our team, my school friend Arun, who was just a phone call away and agreed to join us almost immediately. He came to Kolkata a day early to get the covid test done along with me, as mandated then by the govt. for interstate travel.

** Showing much decency to Yaris, I decided not to take him on a rough hilly road, so, planned for a comfortable trip to Prashar Lake, Malali, Kothi, Naggar, and Tirthan valley.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-gopr1526.jpg
Some place we enjoyed

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3053.jpg
Arun (School Friend)

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3135.jpg
Some place we enjoyed

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3168.jpg
My Sister and Sourenjit

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3747.jpg
Our Ride

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3664.jpg
Me

To be continued ...
PointZero is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 09:45   #2
BHPian

re: Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris

Day 1 & Day 2 ( Jaipur to Prashar Lake via Bilaspur)

It was almost midnight by the time we arrived in Jaipur, so starting very early the next day was out of question. We rather opted for a good sleep. At 7:30 AM we left for Bilaspur. Driving though Hariyana had been smooth till we hit the hill road. It was already dark, and long queues of trucks slowed down our progress. Incidentally, we took a village road on the Rajasthan-Haryana border as Google cautioned us of one hour delay on the highway just at the border. Although the village road was not our planned route but seeing many people taking that road I instinctively followed their trail.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-196899899_3934515866669243_447549923339520341_n.jpg
Starting from Jaipur ( Mobile Snap)

At 9:00 PM when we reached our night stay, the Lake View Hotel ( HPTDC ), Bilaspur, we could think of nothing but to fill our stomach. After the dinner, we wandered around the hotel and its parking area for the night view of the surroundings. The mystifying sight of the silhouettes of the high mountain peaks against the starry sky can only be perceived by human eyes. The intense darkness of the area where the lake was supposed to be, which made us quite curious. After the long drive, a yummy dinner and the pleasant weather of the hill town - it was a perfect setting for a good sleep. Our slumber was broken by the morning sunlight through the wide windows and accompanying buzz of the awaken town. By then, the morning sun had unfolded the serene beauty of the lake area like a Wunschtraum. The Hotel ( HPTDC ) had a very good view of the lake from the top floor and lake facing balconies. Energetic and full of enthusiasm, we started early for Prashar Lake. We would have loved to take a stroll by the lake side before leaving, but decided to save it for some other day in the future.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2872.jpg
Random snap on a break. Somewhere at Hariyana

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-197294317_3934517080002455_7163960903839598070_n.jpg
Only picture of Bilaspur (Lake from Balcony, Mobile Snap)

On the way to Prashar Lake, we took many small breaks to enjoy some tea and snacks. The longest break was near the IIT Mandi, North Campus. I didn't not intend to make the break so long, but discovered that everyone is lazier than me, I felt good about it, at least no one will push me to hurry. Well, Automatic Yaris was already performing very well on the hill road, so we started towards Prashar Lake without worry.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-196362741_3934517663335730_7211137043184501933_n.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2922.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2923.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2928.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2945.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2954.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2961.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2967.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2969.jpg
Some Random Snap on the way to Prashar Lake

To be continued ...
PointZero is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 10:27   #3
BHPian

re: Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris

Day 2 continued ...

By lunch time we reached there and we found a very good place just beside the lake to spend some time and click photographs. The plan was actually to reach Prashar lake at late noon so as to avoid the weekend crowd if there were any. The panoramic view of the lake area will always be feeding our memory. You can enjoy the green valleys and at the same time the snow-clad mountain. The surrounding area is also a very good place for camping. As we were not carrying any camping equipment this time, we arranged for a very basic stay within the lake area. A minimal lunch (veg only) option was available and started wandering around the lake.

Time-lapse of lake

Before reaching here I was thinking that the lake is most beautiful in winter. But I forgot that Himalaya has so many colors to offer in different seasons throughout the year. The lake is located at a height of 2,730 m. The most interesting thing is the round floating island, within the lake, which moves in all directions. A trivia: the temple adjacent to the lake was built in the thirteenth century and legend has it, it was built by a baby from a single tree, and up until now no one including divers have been able to determine the depth of Prashar Lake. It was not a very clear sky, but the game of moving clouds added a different dynamic to the view of the lake.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_2994.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3035.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3053.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3054.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-196803824_3934519833335513_582620153715626444_n.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210411_151427.jpg
Random Snaps of the lake and Temple

We spent quite some time sitting at the hilltop on the opposite side of the temple and then started playing cricket with our host and his friends. No one was in any hurry, but the problem began when we saw that the toilet was locked and even the host did not know where he would get the key. Basically the accommodation was so basic that the home-stay does not even have a toilet. They used to share the same toilet which is made for temple visitors. And as we did not plan for camping, we had no equipment to install a toilet tent. Without thinking twice I advised everyone to leave the place and go to some nearby hotel for a night stay and did the same. It was already dark and driving in such an area could be risky, but we found two local cars who were going to Kullu via Bajaura. So we followed them and with a non stop drive we reached Bajaura safely.

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 13:45.
PointZero is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 10:49   #4
BHPian

Day 3 ( Bajaura - Naggar Castle - Sainj - Shanghar ):

Little confused! Actually everyone else was very much confused about our itinerary. The plan was to stay at Naggar and then Manali / Kothi. So how come Shanghar made an entry here, and why ? Too many questions and I had really no answer to all these questions at that time, but now it is not required to answer them .

As per the plan we reached Naggar very early, because we had already covered half of the way last night. Destination was not far and the road was also in very good condition. So, before the traffic increased and the shops started preparing breakfast we reached Naggar Castle. The castle

was elegant looking, flaunting its architecture, and probably a very nice place to stay. We decided to walk around and once the cafes start serving we can have a good breakfast at an outside cafe before checking into the castle for a stay.

We chose a rooftop cafe for having breakfast with a fabulous view of the castle and the mountain. Everything was so calm and organized, but something was missing. Something was missing which was not allowing me to be calm. I then realized that the trip I have planned is exactly not the type I look for. I asked everyone in the team to present me with a plan for a great trip instead of just a good one. And as expected, the questions were getting fired rapidly from every angle of the breakfast table. But the good thing is that everyone had enough confidence in the Yaris, that if the road is reasonable for riding in a sedan, then there is no doubt that Yaris can do it easily.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-196238789_3939830109471152_8192809104606961258_n.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210412_093903.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210412_094139.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3077.jpg
Random Picture at Naggar

Right after breakfast we started towards Sainj valley. Drove back the same route and then took the road towards Larji Bridge. Refuel our vehicle in a BPCL pump right after crossing the Larji Bridge. Till then we had no idea that the picture of Sainj valley we saw in google sitting on the Naggar Castle was actually Sanghar. We calculated that only a 15-18 odd kilometer further drive to be done, so we can enjoy the valley and easily reach the Sainj valley before lunch. Took many breaks in between and started enjoying the empty and curvy roads in a sedan. As per the plan we reached Sainj by lunch time, and were disappointed to discover that it's a crowded place. By enquiring with some local people we came to know that the place we are looking for is not actually the Sainj village, the name of the village is Shangarh and the road condition from Sainj to Shangarh is not so good. We felt good that we didn't have to spend the day in such a crowded village and at the same time we got a little dispirited learning about the road conditions. Many questions, many doubts came to our mind, but like always we decided to move ahead, and for one more day, we needed to skip the Lunch.

Sainj Valley Time-lapse

It was around 3:30 PM when we reached Shangarh, and checked-in to the oldest homestay (Teja Homestay) with a beautiful view of Shangarh ground and the high mountain behind. The weather was not giving a good sign, so we decided to go to the ground as soon as possible and take some good pictures in daylight. I would not do any justice if I try to describe the Shangarh ground, probably a good photographer or a writer can describe how beautiful it is. We were literally rolling over the ground and suddenly it started raining. It was a very short spell, but the feeling was unforgettable. And thanks to the location of the homestay, we could enjoy the view of the valley, the ground and the mountain throughout the day.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3121.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3124.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3135.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3137.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3139.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3160.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3162.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3168.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3169.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3177.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3199.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3201.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3204.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3209.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3210.jpg

Before I move on, one thing I should definitely mention is that the friendliness and hospitality of Teja Homestay is extremely satisfactory and I recommend it for budget travelers.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-198598626_3939834739470689_197809183028975737_n.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-197606041_3939837306137099_4508604753084985887_n.jpg
Next Day Morning

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 11:52.
PointZero is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 12:21   #5
BHPian

Day 4 ( Shanghar - Tirthan Valley - Sarchi Village - Tirthan Valley):

Famous Bengali writer Sunil Gangopadhyay has a very popular novel “Payer Talay Sarshe” and it is also a bengali proverb. Many friends tell me that I am an appropriate example of the proverb. Everything is so nice, it's the perfect place which we were searching to have a good time. Because of last evening's rain, the mountains are now covered with fresh silver snow. So it's always good to spend another day here. But as I said, I can not stay longer in a place when I have the option to drive and explore more. We got up early in the morning and roamed around the village before breakfast, and we left such a heavenly place for a winter trip and moved towards Tirthan Valley.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210413_085103.jpg
Sidu ( Local food at Breakfast )

Well, I heard that sometimes Tirthan Valley becomes very crowded, but thanks to COVID this time the place was empty, and we opted to for the camp we were the lone guest. For the first time we reached on time to have lunch.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-131485393_3947782482009248_3255926870099441617_n.jpg

Reaching Hotel by Hanging Trolley

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3238.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3247.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3261.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3266.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3292.jpg
Entry to Tirthan Valley

Instead of wondering around the camp, we chose to go to Sarchi village, one of the village at the end of the road to Thirthan valley. So from midday to the evening we spent the whole time at Sarchi village and came back to the camp in the evening.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3293.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3297.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3308.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3319.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3326.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3327.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3332.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210413_173309.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3350.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210413_1742022.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-198835333_3947784002009096_7225223621394033869_n.jpg
Ransom Snaps At Sarchi Village

The road towards the Sarchi village is very attractive and if I come around this place, will opt to stay there instead of staying at the riverside camp. I think it's a very good place for camping also as the road ends here.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3397.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3371.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3399.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3402.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_0242.jpg
Having Fun at Torthan Valley

To be continued ...

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 14:05.
PointZero is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 12:48   #6
BHPian

Day 5 ( Tirthan Valley - Jhibi - Balo Nag/Bala Gad - Jalori Pass - Khanag):

Unlike the other day, even after having a lot of discussion we could not decide the destination for the day. It could be Jhibi, or No Society Cafe ( Little ahead of Jhibi) or somewhere after crossing the Jalori pass.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_112510.jpg
Way to Jhibi

Instead of spending much time in Jhibi, we directly moved towards Balo Nag. Before 1 or 1.5 kilometers of the Balo Nag the road was closed for road construction work. So we had to leave our beloved Yaris there hike the remaining path. Reaching there I was really surprised about the beauty and the landscape of the temple premises. It is situated inside a dense pine forest and the game of light and shadow was making different paint on the green carpet. Before reaching there we had no idea that the place would be so beautiful. We spent around two hours there sitting and chatting with local people and also got an opportunity to get hand made shoes for collections.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_121603.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3413.jpg

Towards Balonag Temple

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-gopr1523.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-gopr1526.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_125313.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3441.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3447.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3448.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3459.jpg
Balonag Temple & Surrounding

When we reached to our car, it started raining, and the road from Jhibi to Balonag temple was not very good for a sedan, So we decided to leave fast and move towards the Jalori pass. Before reaching the pass we were over excited that this is the first pass for some of us including our rider the Yaris, so didn't miss any opportunity to take some memorable pictures. As we had no hurry we took some long breaks before Jalori Pass. However, reaching there we were little upset as there were lot of vehicles, many people taking selfies and people were just busy having snacks. It was really more crowded than we expected, so we decided not to stop for the day and move ahead.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3733.jpg
Towards Jalori Pass

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3475.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3477.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3519.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3524.jpg
Jalori Pass & Surrounding

Kungash is probably a lesser known place where we decided to take a break as we did not stop in Jalori Pass. And this break actually made our day more memorable. While having tea we were having some chat with local people and from them we came to know that Khanag could be one good place to halt for the day. Also come to know that there are two options to stay ..one is a Govt. guest house and another the Vinshar Cottage.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_160119.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_160345.jpg
Some Snacks at Kungash

First we reached the Vishar cottage which was just at the right hand side of the road after Khanag - 0 mile post. Cottage has been built in a way that you will always get a zero obstacle view and it is almost hanging from the hill. Because of the location of the cottage we decided to stay there only instead of checking for the Govt. Guest house option.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210415_080446.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3533.jpg
Our Stay, Almost hanging from the mountain

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3545.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3546.jpg

In the afternoon we decided to explore the village and also came to know that there is a festival happening at the Khanag school ground. Actually there was no festival, it was a tug-of-war of local women.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3554.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3559.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3568.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3587.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3612.jpg
Enjoyed the Afternoon with locals

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_172933.jpg
The other beautiful stay there

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-202132073_3955380821249414_2830884785011471484_n.jpg
Me- getting old
To be continued...

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 13:05.
PointZero is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 13:16   #7
BHPian

Day 5 Continued ...

After exploring the village and surrounding area we came back to our stay before evening as our host promised for some good snacks and a bonfire in the evening and we didn't want to miss it.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_191504.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3647.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210414_205508.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3617.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3619.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3621.jpg
Some Random Pic at Khanag

It was not only a clear sky with thousands of sparkling stars, we witnessed a waning crescent moon and star fall on the same day. We ended up the day with a late night walk on the pitch-dark road in pin-drop silence.

Day 6 ( Khanag - Theog - Rohru - Chirgaon):

Because of the great evening last day and late night walk we started a little late for the day. Anyway there was no reason to start early. The weather was clean and bright, and as we chose the road via Theog, we knew that there were less chances of surprises till Rohru. And after Rohru we had no idea about the road condition and whether the road till Chanshal Pass is really a suitable road for Yaris or not.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210415_073553.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3656.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3664.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3668.jpg
Lazy Morning at Khanag

The drive was smooth till Rohru, but our queries to locals on the possibilities of reaching to the Chansal pass with Yaris were varied. Our natural tendency for exploration led us to continue our journey. The road was still worse than our expectation. We had to limit the average speed of Yaris to 5kmh, and for the first time I felt that Bolero, my Lazy Turtle would have done the job better. Our ordeal ended when we arrived at Chirgaon, the last village for a comfortable stay on the way, also the starting point for trekking to Chansal for many wanderers. We found an wonderful place for night stay.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210415_184102.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3699.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3700.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3709.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3717.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_0335.jpg
Thira Chansal ( Our Stay at Chirgaon )

We spent the full day driving and obviously enjoyed the valleys through the window glass.

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 14:07.
PointZero is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 14:01   #8
BHPian

Day 7 ( Chirgaon - Chanshal pass - Rohru - Kandaghat ):

As the trip progressed, I felt very sad thinking that the good days were going to end soon and I needed to start daily metro life. So I made more effort to add memorable experiences which would make it into a great trip instead of just a good one.

Additionally, in the COVID situation no one knows when the next trip will be possible. And till now if we consider the trip it's a very good trip but the delta is missing to make it great. With full of energy we started the day very early knowing that there could be surprises on the road to Chanshal Pass. From PWD guest house information center we came to know that the road after Chanshal pass is not open yet. So the max we can go is till the pass and 2-3 KM ahead of the pass. So our plan was to reach the pass as early as possible and then we can take breaks while returning.

The road was not at all suitable for the Yaris, but somehow we managed it very safely. There are certain stretches where I felt the need for me to take the spotter job instead of driving. This also allowed me to take good pictures of the car from outside.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210416_084036.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210416_090256.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3922.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3888.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3873.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3863.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3860.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3829.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-img_20210416_093407.jpg
Random Picture towards Chansal Pass

Reached to the pass and was surprised to see a mobile tea shop there, despite not having seen a single vehicle from Chirgaon to Chanshal pass. And later we found that it was because of the early morning. While returning back we found few vehicles making their way towards the pass. I feel my words are not enough to describe the beauty of the scenario the road towards the pass, so relying on the following pictures and videos.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3817.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3815.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3803.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3800.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3796.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3790.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3774.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3771.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-tkd_3764.jpg

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-2018_0208_220122_001.jpg
Random Picture @ Chansal Pass

We came back to Thira to get refreshed, and then we continued our journey towards a small town Kandaghat, where we spent the night at an unassuming hotel.

Day 8 & Day 9 ( Kandaghat - Jaipur - Kolkata):
The next day we drove to Jaipur and hardly took any break. So we reached Jaipur(Rajasthan) before 3:00 PM. Next day we had a late evening flight to Kolkata.

Thus another pass added and the maximum altitude achieved by the Petrol Automatic Yaris is 12303 feet. I know it's not very high, but the journey and beauty of Chanshal Pass added the delta to turn a good trip into a great trip. And moving forward we are expecting some more trips to explore the capabilities of the Yaris in the coming days.

Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris-203606290_3960997237354439_1873692211148457315_n.jpg

Thank You
Point Zero

Last edited by PointZero : 15th August 2021 at 14:03.
PointZero is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 05:44   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 07:53   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris

Lovely travelogue. I was in Shangarh, Tirthan Valley and Narkanda in March 2021 and I must stay Shangarh is absolutely stunning. Quiet, peaceful and full of beautiful walks and meadows. I have been trying to put up a travelogue on the same but too much work pressure has not allowed me to do so yet !

I was at Chanshal Pass in October 2020, however I didn't get a chance to witness snow en route, might have gone there a couple of weeks too early !

Glad to see some stunning pictures from these pristine valleys, gave me a chance to refresh my memories from the region, specially from Shangarh.

Last edited by //M : 16th August 2021 at 07:56.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:00   #11
BHPian

Re: Two more passes added | Jalori Pass & Chanshal Pass (Himachal Pradesh) in a Toyota Yaris

What a lovely travelogue and amazing pictures!

Himachal's beauty is spellbinding and you explored, and captured in camera, some great places. Thanks for sharing!

The ignorant cameraman in me was also wondering how the heck did you capture those videos from underneath the car!. Especially at times there was some slush and mud on the road!
DreamsUnlimited is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 10:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Amazing travelogue and a brave travel, specially in the low GC Yaris!
Loved every pic along the way!

How did the Yaris fare during the journey - any underbody scraping/any "heart in the mouth" moments/any tips for those who want to undertake such a high-altitude/hilly terrain journey in a sedan (like a Vento, for e.g.)?
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:39   #13
BHPian

Beautiful pictures made a virtual travel to those lovely places with you. Though not the easiest car on a mountain pass, happy that you could do all that you wanted to make the trip memorable. Refreshing pictures and writeup. And am certain that the covid energy loss is well and truly behind you
megazoid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 19:48   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pics and narration. It always feel special to see a sedan in these tough terrains. An suv makes things much easier, but a low ground clearance car tests the driver too.

Rated 5*.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2021, 20:04   #15
BHPian

And I felt it was only me who was taking a low GC sedan to such places. Just came back from a trip to Joshimath in my Honda City last week.

I am really curious how was the road to Jalori? I did Jalori pass on my bike 5-6 years back. Can’t imagine Yaris navigating those roads with 4 passenger load when we really struggled despite being on bikes.

Also very nice photography. Nice circuitous route as well. Thanks for sharing.
warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks