Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2021, 18:43   #16

Re: Experiencing the monsoon bliss of Darjeeling in a Honda Brio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisfish View Post
Afternoon is the best time to take the Pankhabari Road towards Kurseong as the downhill traffic will considerably be less. Most tourist vehicles coming down to Bagdogra airport from Darjeeling prefer Pankhabari Road as they can avoid the traffic snarls in and around Siliguri by taking the Panighatta route from Longview. Kurseong is my hometown. For downhill journeys to Siliguri, I always take the Pankhabari Road whereas time of day determines my choice of route for the uphill drive.
Afternoon is indeed when we took Pankhabari Road but the closure of Rohini Road didn't help our case with traffic to say the least.

Perhaps next time we will be inclined to take this route voluntarily considering the time we most likely will save.
Old 8th December 2021, 19:03   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Excellent TL indeed, and like other BHPians have mentioned, Darjeeling never gets old no matter how many times you go. Loved the pictures and the description - you made the trip come vividly alive!
I am so glad I could share my experiences in the right way and thank you for your kind words!

Quote:
Btw, what is the Bengal to Bengal route? What points do I need to put on Google Maps to take that route?
Experiencing the monsoon bliss of Darjeeling in a Honda Brio-screenshot-20211208-6.51.51-pm.png

Experiencing the monsoon bliss of Darjeeling in a Honda Brio-screenshot-20211208-6.52.54-pm.png

Bengal To Bengal route basically is a route that starts from Botolbari Bus Stand and ends at Dhantola essentially bypassing the awful Dalkhola Railway Crossing which always tends to disappoint regarding traffic and road conditions and delays unsuspecting travellers by upto an hour or two on a daily basis.

But in recent times, depending on the traffic on Raiganj Bypass, you can go further along NH27 and then take the Bengal To Bengal road from Domohana and you will travel through similar two lane roads and end up at Dhantola.

This route unlike NH27, remains a faster choice for now. And this route doesn't leave West Bengal unlike NH27 which briefly enters Bihar, hence the name "Bengal To Bengal".

In the future, once Raiganj Bypass will be completely four lane and Dalkhola Bypass and ROB will complete, NH27 might end up faster route than the Bengal To Bengal while being a safer choice for night travel.

Quote:
Kudos for trying your hand on the Pankhabari route - it is really steep and difficult. Coming down is even more difficult than going up since one has to rely on engine braking and resist the urge to go fast downhill or use the brakes.
I definitely liked the challenge. Had it been totally devoid of any traffic, I would have had nothing but praises for Pankhabari road because it indeed is much shorter than any other route to Darjeeling.

I would strongly urge first time drivers to avoid this route though.

Quote:
The Brio is indeed a pocket rocket and wish you many more drives with it.
Thank you
archbishopofbhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:46   #18
BHPian

Nicely Written!

Darjeeling is is always on top of my list and every time I plan for a trip somehow it slide down from the list, My Wife always says 'Darjeeling' this time, your post have seriously itched me to think about it again

Heard that it's a congested city? I always prefer to stay on Mall road is it easy to use own vehicle for point's to visit? Bhpians preferred to stay outskirt for ease of parking.

Worried since XUV300 is quite Wide and I do not want to get stuck and spoil my destination's.
nitin_knw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 20:21   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin_knw View Post
Nicely Written!

Darjeeling is is always on top of my list and every time I plan for a trip somehow it slide down from the list, My Wife always says 'Darjeeling' this time, your post have seriously itched me to think about it again

Heard that it's a congested city? I always prefer to stay on Mall road is it easy to use own vehicle for point's to visit? Bhpians preferred to stay outskirt for ease of parking.

Worried since XUV300 is quite Wide and I do not want to get stuck and spoil my destination's.
Thank you! It definitely deserves to be as high up on your list as it can be

Darjeeling is as congested as any other hill station in the Himalayas. Vehicles however are not allowed on Mall Road and hence you will have to park your vehicle a couple of hundred metres away and pay for it on a per day basis.

I always would prefer to stay a bit away from Mall Road as I don't mind the walk. Our hotel was 1 km uphill from Mall Road and had ample parking space.

Most hotels in and around that area offer parking inside the compound or provide parking on the road adjacent to the hotel which offers peace of mind as opposed to Mall Road hotels.

As for your XUV300, it absolutely shouldn't be an issue navigating it around as I have seen bigger SUVs drive around with ease.
archbishopofbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue with bit by bit update about the happenings which make one feel as if they are traveling with you and witnessing the journey unfold all along first hand.

I did not know that this summit hotel had such good view from the balcony so as to provide a glimpse of Kanchenjunga itself. Will keep this on the list for sure.

You mentioned about wheel spin, did you carry enough momentum around the corners?
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbishopofbhp View Post
Bengal To Bengal route basically is a route that starts from Botolbari Bus Stand and ends at Dhantola essentially bypassing the awful Dalkhola Railway Crossing which always tends to disappoint regarding traffic and road conditions and delays unsuspecting travellers by upto an hour or two on a daily basis.

But in recent times, depending on the traffic on Raiganj Bypass, you can go further along NH27 and then take the Bengal To Bengal road from Domohana and you will travel through similar two lane roads and end up at Dhantola.
Thank you so much for the details and the map screenshots - these will be immensely useful on my next trip to Darjeeling, which might happen soon!
Neversaygbye is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks