Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2022, 20:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Camper Van road-trip around Iceland - A Photo Essay

Excellent trip and novel way to see Iceland. Thanks for the writeup and photographs. Liked the way you answered the queries, which make it even clearer. Do you suggest combining it with any other trip in Denmark etc ? What would be the ideal duration ?
Old 14th January 2022, 23:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Excellent trip and novel way to see Iceland. Thanks for the writeup and photographs. Liked the way you answered the queries, which make it even clearer. Do you suggest combining it with any other trip in Denmark etc ? What would be the ideal duration ?
Thanks.

Iceland deserves 10 days at least , else it’s not worth it going so far and driving around if you’re doing it in a hurry. Beyond that depending on how much time one has left it is smart to add further options.

Iceland takes so much cash to just fly in that it would be prudent to combine it with another trip in the neighbourhood.

We did a longish trip which went like this.

India- Amsterdam- Iceland-Copenhagen (and around Denmark)- Ljubljana (Slovenia) where we hired a Volkswagen Golf to drive around the tri-country route and see the Triglav National park, Bovec and Soca Valley. Flew out from Ljubljana back to Amsterdam and then returned home to India.

It’s wise to combine trips and countries ., especially in EU where the Schengen visa can give free access to the entire neighbourhood.

P.S: I wanted to badly push further south to Croatia (now an Adriatic Motorcycle Tour is on my bucket list) , but we realised we would need a separate visa for it, so stopped our plan at Slovenia (which by the way is highly underrated and IMHO a cheaper Switzerland alternative )

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 14th January 2022 at 23:52.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 03:17   #18
BHPian

Very nice write up and details. Thanks for sharing.
I could relate to most of the things you said including the cross winds, because my wife & I did the Iceland trip on a motorcycle back in 2016. It was the most enjoyable and most terrifying trip! But the raw beauty of nature is mind blowing.

I would recommend the Adriatic trip also (Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro) which incidentally we also rented our bike from Adriatric Moto Tours. Very fascinating places with lot of historic towns etc
Haroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 08:16   #19
BHPian

Hi,
Thank you for the excellent review and amazing photos. Iceland has been on my list for quite a while and I regret missing the opportunity to travel there. Your post has rekindled my interest in doing this trip. I did not consider doing this tour by a camper van and thanks to your post I will plan accordingly. Cheers.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Excellent write-up and fantastic photos. Iceland is so beautiful. Great to see your kid enjoying all this at such a young age. Thank you, Vignesh.
sureshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 17:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_psy View Post
For Þórsmörk, you need a seriously capable vehicle (super Jeeps) as most rentals are not insured if you go there as the only approach is via the F-road.
I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
P.S: I wanted to badly push further south to Croatia (now an Adriatic Motorcycle Tour is on my bucket list) , but we realised we would need a separate visa for it,
Croatia comes under the Schengen agreement and AFAIK you do not need a separate Visa for Croatia, if you have a multi entry visa. Did you have a single entry Schengen Visa?

I've travelled between Dubrovnik and Zagreb by road, had a multi entry Schengen Visa, was never a problem. While traveling by road, at Neum there is border control for entry into Bosnia & Herzegovina. So you exit Croatia >> enter Bosnia & Herzegovina (at Neum) >> again enter Croatia. Passports are taken at border and stamped with exit, entry details.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2022, 19:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I know

Croatia comes under the Schengen agreement and AFAIK you do not need a separate Visa for Croatia, if you have a multi entry visa.

Spike
You are right. It does accept Schengen.
But Croatia needs multiple entry.

In our case, We had single and hence would have needed an additional national visa to enter for Croatia alone, unlike other inter-State borders where it was seamless.

I’m gunning for the Adriatic MOTO Tours in the future definitely

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 15th January 2022 at 19:58.
Old 16th January 2022, 08:09   #23
BHPian

Boy oh boy, that is one exciting road trip, one that wants you to pack your bags and start right away. Well documented and interesting. It's great to see you do the trip with your 4 y.o. that would have been my biggest worry. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Jude300 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Boy oh boy, that is one exciting road trip, one that wants you to pack your bags and start right away. Well documented and interesting. It's great to see you do the trip with your 4 y.o. that would have been my biggest worry. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Thanks Jude for your kind words. As I said, kids are surprisingly adaptive and more flexible than what we give them credit for. Sometimes during our travels, we have found our kid pushing us further and injecting a childish curiosity much beyond what we normally would have.

And on a lighter vein, we have got special treatments in airports, queues and sometimes even at stores because we are travelling with a small kid.
Old 18th January 2022, 05:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Awesome travelogue. Your planning for the trip, as well as execution is spot-on. Quite evident you guys are well-travelled. About travelling with kids, i totally agree with what you said. Get them started young and early and you'll soon see they are great to have along. Wait on them and treat them with kids gloves and you've just signed up for something you cant comprehend.

Felt good to see Iceland through your pics and write-up. There is something so mysterious about these countries, exemplified by the ambience and beauty evident in the pics.

Thanks for sharing, and looking forward to more of your trips.

EDIT : Voted 5 stars from my side.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 12:44   #26
BHPian

What a beautiful write-up for an equally beautiful natural beauty. The travelogue actually made me go back to my bucket list of actually owning a camper-van one day and living on road for a few years covering our beautiful country. Ahh! One Day for sure.
Jaisalmeriya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 12:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaisalmeriya View Post
What a beautiful write-up for an equally beautiful natural beauty. The travelogue actually made me go back to my bucket list of actually owning a camper-van one day and living on road for a few years covering our beautiful country. Ahh! One Day for sure.
An interesting proposition indeed.
I know a few people who have already embraced the #vanlife.

The trend is slowly, very slowly catching up.
Old 26th January 2022, 11:41   #28
BHPian

Here’s a small clip to show how a typical campsite looks.

Old 26th January 2022, 12:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
Here’s a small clip to show how a typical campsite looks.

https://Youtu.be/DCvBqkc-rg8
If you would have slowed down the speed while you're turning in the video, or during editing, it would have become better. It's too fast to understand what is what. Also, if you can edit it and add screen freeze shots with text details of what is what, that would be awesome.

Sorry comments were off in your YouTube video, so had to respond here.

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 26th January 2022 at 12:07.
AdityaDeane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 16:53   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_psy View Post
Very well written experience vigneshkumar31

I was there for the same trip in November 2019
My tickets are booked for 1st Nov, 2022 till 12th Nov, 2022. How was Iceland in November? I was planning to hire a campervan and drive the ring road. And are campsites open during this time?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks