Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2022, 23:57   #1
BHPian

Day drive to Muninagara Dam

One thing I really love about living in Bangalore is the driving destinations around Bangalore, probably the only decent Tier-1 city with more than 20 same-day driving destinations in under 100-120km

In recent weeks like other big cities, Bangalore was under weekend lockdown and night curfew, so when the weekend curfew was finally lifted we were in the mood to take a short road trip nearby Bangalore

We already had been multiple times to some commonly known destinations like Nandi Hill, Art of Living Ashram, Mayura River View, Chikka Tirupati, Tribal Cafe, Chhota Ladakh and the list goes on.

So deciding upon a location to go to was quite straight forward.

1. A place where we haven't been earlier

2. It must be under 100-120 km distance from Bangalore because we absolutely wanted to come back by EOD

3. It shouldn't be too crowded a place - COVID19 precaution!

4. And if it's equidistance from Whitefield and Thanisandra half of our family stay at another corner of the Bangalore and plan was to reach the destination, spend some good time and come back to our places

After a bit of discussion, the majority agreed to visit a dam/water body located towards the south of the Bangalore: Muninagara Dam

Distance:
- From Whitefield: About 60km
- From Thandisandra: About 55km

Day - Sunday,

We had breakfast at home at our respective places and set out for our destination at the almost same time.

It was a decent drive - you actually start enjoying it when you come to the NICE road (for non-Bangaloreans, the name of the road is 'NICE' Road and IMO it's the nearest and the nicest road quality-wise for us Bangaloreans here).

Route Map:

From Whitefield -

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-screenshot-20220126-11.07.00-pm.png

From Thanisandra -
Day drive to Muninagara Dam-screenshot-20220126-11.08.47-pm.png

We reached there in about 1hr 45mnts, had a brief stop just before reaching there for refreshing coconut water- not pics through sorry.

Here comes the water body:

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-1.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-2.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-vody-4.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-5.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-panorma.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-6.jpeg

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-water-body-jt-7.jpeg

There a large forest land beside the water body and it must lush green during rains

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-barren-land-beside-lake.jpeg

The location is far from fancy amenities and any kind of crowd, the water body is next to a village (~500 meters walk to the lake off village road).

The local residents are friendly and didn't mind our cars being parked roadside, front of house Since the lake isn't that popular and very select explorer like us only come there - There isn't any shop of any kind there or at least we didn't see any.

One may need to ask the locals about the trail to the lake from the main village road as there isn't any such direction marking as such.

After spending a little more than an hour - We started to google searching for restaurants nearby while the Biryani was the first choice most of the restaurants far from here and close to Bangalore.

We discovered the legendary MTR oldest outlet on Kanakpura road near the Art of Living.

It was a quick 15-20mintues drive to the legendary MTR!

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-mtr.jpeg

Food at MTR is as legendary as their name, it's a must-try whenever you are on Kanakpura road.

The restaurant is located inside a large green campus.

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-mtr-back-side-1.jpeg

with this note - We started our journey back home of course through the NICEst road.

Google location :
1. Muninagara Dam - https://goo.gl/maps/7CRWq4idqnPGQYBi6

2. MTR Kanakpura Road - https://goo.gl/maps/mJSH6KQU8VhJfbD76

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2022 at 04:46. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
Arayan5614 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 12:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Day drive to Muninagara Dam

Thanks Arayan5614.
I rode to this location early today morning. I had no clue this existed. The place is awesome !

You could refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...bangalore.html (Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore) for more destinations

Few pics shot on my cell
Attached Thumbnails
Day drive to Muninagara Dam-1.jpg  

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-2.jpg  

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-3.jpg  

Last edited by shatananda.k : 29th January 2022 at 12:58.
shatananda.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 18:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Day drive to Muninagara Dam

Funny how many drive to Muninagara, and I sometimes just cycle to this place.
That's how close I live to this place. The place does get crowded over the weekends.

Here's my steed just beyond Muninagara, towards 'Gullatikaval' vllage. I do have a bunch of videos of my Thar and some offroading done here, but for some reason, I am unable to attach those videos.

Day drive to Muninagara Dam-img_3144.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th January 2022 at 18:17. Reason: Spacing
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 21:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
Thanks Arayan5614.
I rode to this location early today morning. I had no clue this existed. The place is awesome !

You could refer to https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...bangalore.html (Cool Drives within 150 km from Bangalore) for more destinations

Few pics shot on my cell

Wow! glad you discovered this destination!

Nice pics loved it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Funny how many drive to Muninagara, and I sometimes just cycle to this place.
That's how close I live to this place. The place does get crowded over the weekends.

Here's my steed just beyond Muninagara, towards 'Gullatikaval' vllage. I do have a bunch of videos of my Thar and some offroading done here, but for some reason, I am unable o attach those videos.Attachment 2266525
IMO Bangalorean keep looking for such new location and people seeking same thing land at the same place/destination

Luckily for us there was no crowd over the weekend

On different note, thanks for sharing the pic - Sweet ride!

Been windowshoping for pre-owned German cars for some time, would be happy to hear your experience of riding one

Last edited by Eddy : 30th January 2022 at 03:19. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks