Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2022, 14:17   #1
BHPian

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza

When I bought the Glanza G 1.2MT back in 2020, I had plans to use it as a daily driver to-and-fro office. But soon after my purchase (Feb 2020), things went upside down. I relocated to my native place Contai and instead of a city ride, Glanza became my highway cruiser.

After three months of endless Jira sprints, I was eagerly looking for a long weekend getaway and stumbled upon Patratu Valley in Ranchi, 425kms from my place. Easily doable over a short 3 days plan [12 AUG to 14 AUG]

Trip mates: Mom, Dad, Wife.

Route:
Contai - Kharagpur - Jhargram - Jamshedpur - Ranchi

Trip Plan
  1. 12 AUG: Start early and reach Ranchi by 12 PM, roam around the city after taking 2 hours nap at the hotel. Booked Jade Square Hotel in Ranchi.
  2. 13 AUG: a. Visit Dassam Falls (27kms from our hotel) b. Reach Patratu valley via outer city Highway c. Extend to Patratu lake
  3. 14 AUG: Come back home.

Day 1: 12 AUG 2022 Friday
As per our plan, we started early at around 5 and managed to reach Kharagpur by 8 AM. Took us 3 hours to cross this 100 km patch due to potholed roads and an under-renovation highway.
[Route advice] If you are visiting Puri from Kolkata/Jamshedpur/Ranchi, be careful after you cross Balibhasa toll plaza. There are very large speed breakers and large water-filled potholes combined with road diversion.

After Kharagpur, NH49 is outstanding. Be careful on bridges and hub joints, mostly they are uneven and will toss your passengers if going over 100kmph plus speeds.

We stopped soon after crossing the Jhargram intersection for a quick body stretch.

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_033349580.jpg
Showing off the dashboard view
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_033619168.jpg

A glimpse of dense Jhargram forest from NH-18 soon after crossing Bahargora.

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_033326603.jpg
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_033331980.jpg

Stunning NH49 View
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_061708052.jpg

Second halt just before entering Jamshedpur.

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220812_051000050.jpg

Road update: The construction of the patch from Ghatshila intersection to Jamshedpur (Mango intersection) of NH-18 is completed.
Also, the construction of the joining phase of NH-18 and NH-43 (Jamshedpur-Ranchi Highway) has been completed. No more pain

Third halt: We stopped at MAA Dhaba, Diuri beside NH-43. We had paneer pakora and pyaj (onion) pakoras, both were fresh and tasty. We liked their washrooms, clean and tidy.
Map link: https://goo.gl/maps/m6yYVm9UJ2tvshwGA

Reached Ranchi around 2 PM due to heavy rainfall.

We booked our rooms in hotel Jade Square. The rooms were clean but the food was not good.

Map Link: https://g.page/jade-square?share

Day 2: AUG 13 2022 Saturday

We had breakfast in hotel and started off for Dassam Falls which was 45 Kms
from our hotel.

Tip: Follow the google map direction which follows "Marang gomke Jaipal Singh Munda Chauk". You will thank me later.
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-img_0568.png

You can also set Montrel Fuel Station in navigation. When you reach there, set Dassam falls in google maps, it will guide you through heaven.

Montrel Fuel station map link: https://goo.gl/maps/sK8ueXcKSjeqREg67

Some glimpse of the heavenly road:

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_040715638.jpg

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_040724646.jpg

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_040843369.jpg

Stopped to take this snap
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_040941864.jpg

Dassam Falls
Quick Tip: Dassam is one of the most easy-to-access waterfalls. Do take your parents and elder family members, they would be able to enjoy it.

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_044604063.jpg

Next, we headed towards Patratu valley, 86km from Dassam falls.

Quick halt for body stretch.
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_072237256.jpg

Patratu Valley:

[P.S. I do not have a drone so I don't have those top-of-the-head shots ]

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_111350389.jpg
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_075723315.jpg
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-img_0511.jpg
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-img_0509.jpg
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-img_0504.jpg

BHPian Alert: Be extra cautious on these valley roads. I have observed people speeding and doing overtaking maneuvers in sharp bends.

Next, we headed to Patratu lake, 5kms ahead of the valley.

Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_082730536.jpg

The must-have selfie with family:
Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza-pxl_20220813_082950876.jpg

The next day (14 AUG) we returned back as we wanted to celebrate independence day at our residence.

Cost summary:
  • Fuel cost: INR 6,500/-
  • Hotel Cost: INR 21,000/- (booked through Makemytrip)
  • Food: 5,500/- (includes expensive room service ones)
rajarshi94 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 23:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Digha (Contai) to Ranchi weekend road-trip in a Toyota Glanza

Excellent trip, it seems. The road and the weather both look pleasing.

I do have a small question though about the photo below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
Can you please share further details on the accessory used here on the top of the side mirror? Are you satisfied with performance - view and stability wise? If yes, and if it is not too much of trouble, request you to share the make and the model.
anirbanjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 21:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarshi94 View Post
As per our plan, we started early at around 5 and managed to reach Kharagpur by 8 AM. Took us 3 hours to cross this 100 km patch due to potholed roads and an under-renovation highway.
[Route advice] If you are visiting Puri from Kolkata/Jamshedpur/Ranchi, be careful after you cross Balibhasa toll plaza. There are very large speed breakers and large water-filled potholes combined with road diversion.

After Kharagpur, NH49 is outstanding. Be careful on bridges and hub joints, mostly they are uneven and will toss your passengers if going over 100kmph plus speeds.

We stopped soon after crossing the Jhargram intersection for a quick body stretch.[/list]
Between Jamshedpur and Digha i always take the following route without a hiccup, no issues :-

Jamshedpur -- Gopiballabpur -- Keshiary -- Egra -- Ramnagar -- Digha

Route between Keshiary and Digha via Belda/Egra will be common for travellers whether taking the Gopiballabpur route or the Kharagpur route.

Route between Gopiballabpur and Keshiary provides authentic country side views, the rich/pure natural beauty of Bengal. And the best part is that no potholes on this section, and it's a two lane state highway.

As I write this post sitting in a WBTDCL Hotel in Digha I'm on a 4 days' vacation across Digha, Jhargram & Ajodhya Hills.

Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 23:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anirbanjoy View Post
Can you please share further details on the accessory used here on the top of the side mirror? Are you satisfied with performance - view and stability wise? If yes, and if it is not too much of trouble, request you to share the make and the model.
Certainly! These are from some 3R brand (might be generic brand). I purchased them from amazon in September 2021. So approximately during the last one of usage, these have been pretty stable, do not shake while driving, and serve their purpose.

The exact link collected from order history (seems discontinued but similar ones are there from some SARTE brand): https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rajarshi94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 23:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Between Jamshedpur and Digha i always take the following route without a hiccup, no issues :-

Jamshedpur -- Gopiballabpur -- Keshiary -- Egra -- Ramnagar -- Digha

Route between Keshiary and Digha via Belda/Egra will be common for travellers whether taking the Gopiballabpur route or the Kharagpur route.
I have seen that board on the highway that directs the way to Gopiballabpur. But I was less confident as it was raining cats and dogs. I will definitely try this route next time.

Quote:
As I write this post sitting in a WBTDCL Hotel in Digha I'm on a 4 days' vacation across Digha, Jhargram & Ajodhya Hills.

Regards.
Perfect time for this plan! Hope you are enjoying at the fullest!
rajarshi94 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks