Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2022, 14:13   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Southern Coastal soujourn: Chikamagalur, Dhanushkodi, Kanykakumari, Alleppey Boat Race and m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Very nice travelogue. Thanks for sharing. A nicely thought out itenary and a very good time to do the trip also. Nice intercept to the boat race too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
Awesome route to drive, wonderful travelogue.
Thanks, guys!

Quote:
By the way this is Pushkarani at Santhebennur.

Looked really interesting; we wanted to stop but dark clouds were looming and we had heavy rain within 10min of crossing this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Day 11: Alleppey - Bekal
Missed adding this: the Alleppey - Bekal route crosses a town called Mahe, which is a part of Pondicherry!

When discussing routes, a friend reminded me to tank up at Mahe, because the fuel is cheaper (~ 12/litre!). Not understanding why he made it a point to call this out, I looked it up on Maps and found that this small town is a part of Pondicherry.

On reading further, learnt that Pondicherry is made up of four parts: two of them (Pondicherry and Karaikal in TN), Mahe in Kerala and Yanam in AP.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 17:48   #17
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Southern Coastal soujourn: Chikamagalur, Dhanushkodi, Kanykakumari, Alleppey Boat Race and m

Quote:
Day 11: Alleppey - Bekal
There is massive construction in progress for four-laning of NH66, and once complete (currently scheduled for 2025)
A well-thought-out and fascinating trip schedule. Yes, TN has one of the best state and national highways. Today, almost all major roads are being expanded to four lanes.

If somebody looks at your itinerary, the travel on the Kerala highway took a long time. To travel on NH 66, one needs to have patience and hope the project is finished on schedule.

If you chose the Chickmagaluru to Madurai via Tirupur route, you can skip Tirupur (since there is no bye pass)and opt Avinashi - Palladam - Dharapuram - Madurai which also saves a significant amount of time.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 23:26   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow looks you guys went on a lovely trip, those pics are lovely too. I had done a much shorter version of this circuit in '12. Thanks for sharing bro.

What caught my attention was the bit about the Gondwana Junction. It is utterly fascinating to think the Vivekananda Memorial marks the spot of such great geological signficance.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 15:03   #19
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was only recently that I read about how accident-prone this ghat actually is.
Currently, preventative measures have been made by the government and the infrastructure contractor (L&T) to lower accidents on this highway.

The below link for ref:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5397185
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Now, onto the next!
Thanks libranof1987! Excellent write up with some great details. Much appreciated.

Dhanushkodi is on my bucket list for some time now. I was hoping to complete that itch when I visit my home town in December. I'm sure that your travelogue is going to be a great pointer if that trip happens.

Even better if I get the nod from my home minister let me to drive down all the way. That will have additional perks since I can proudly boast that I have driven to both Kashmir and Kanykakumari with my current steed. Otherwise it will be with just another road trip in a rental from Kerela

Drive Safe,
R-Six

Last edited by R-Six : 22nd September 2022 at 20:45.
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 10:39   #21
BHPian

Thank you so much for sharing this!
I have been planning this trip for more than 2 months and have finalised it and ready to execute starting this Friday!
Just like you said, I have been wanting to explore with my new Honda City 2020 MT (purchased in June) through this trip and cover the geographical expanses of our beautiful country. I will be traveling with 4 more people and full boot load, me being the lone driver and will be covering the below route in 10 days -

The Southern Coastal soujourn: Chikamagalur, Dhanushkodi, Kanyakumari, Alleppey Boat Race and more!-screenshot-20221017-10.23.32-am.png

Initially when I was planning this trip it was exactly a trace of yours, but unfortunately I have only 10 days for this (1 extra day we could stretch, earlier were planning only 9).
I feel thrilled to know someone who did this, my family is happy to travel but not as overtly enthusiastic as I am! I now find "company" in you (risk of being too cheesy here)

I just have one question - I have been cautioned by people that I wouldn't be able to take my own car till Dhanushkodi since the road would be very sandy. This was 10 years ago according to them. Is it better now and do you think I would be able to take my Honda City there?
c@rwate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:13   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@rwate View Post
I have been planning this trip for more than 2 months and have finalised it and ready to execute starting this Friday!
Perfect, have a safe, enjoyable trip!

Quote:
I just have one question - I have been cautioned by people that I wouldn't be able to take my own car till Dhanushkodi since the road would be very sandy. This was 10 years ago according to them. Is it better now and do you think I would be able to take my Honda City there?
You have absolutely no reason to worry. The Rameshwaram - Dhanushkodi stretch was completed in 2016. The roads are in spectacular condition; in fact, they were being re-laid during our visit.

Here's what you can expect.

The Southern Coastal soujourn: Chikamagalur, Dhanushkodi, Kanyakumari, Alleppey Boat Race and more!-screenshot-20221017-11.09.31.png

Tip: try to go early in the morning as crowd builds up as the day progresses. Also, carry sun protection and food/water; there's nothing there. Also do take the short detour to visit the Kothandaramaswamy Temple; it's right on the same road, but 2min off.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:18   #23
BHPian

Awesome! Thank you so much!
The road stretch is so inviting, can't wait to drive on it!
c@rwate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2023, 20:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@rwate View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this!
Did you end up going on your trip? Would love to hear more about it as I am planning something similar in December over 8-9 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks