Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2007, 14:39   #1
BHPian

A day at GQ - Bangalore to Chennai

A day at GQ
============
After having acquainted myself with the GQ (Thanks to the T-BHPians response).
I was all set for my drive again.
This time though, My better half decided to fill the car's boot and the rear seat with a whole bunch of items. (Big Bazaar, a woman's delight).

It has just rained when I had started at around 4.15 PM. After wading through the Hosur Road buzz, I hit the highway and I was cruising at 135, 140 KMH. The roads were excellent as usual but a keen eye on the road is a must to evade occasional cyclist, mopeds and the brave men who cross the road only when they spot a speeding vehicle.

With the latest ICE in, we were having fun on the road.

ICE details
===========
A Sony head system with I-PoD and USB slots from the US and rear JBL speakers with Sony X-PLOD speakser taking the front.

We took a break for about 25mts in a gas station and got ourselves back in track.

When things were all rosy, romantic and green. A Sky-blue Camry flashes his light and zooms past.
I hit the pedal and we were tailing him. The fun was just begining to unfold.

We hit the 3rd toll, where we got our gates parallel to each other. The Camry headed out first and I followed.
The driver was fast and good at the curves.
My love for FIAT was growing the more I drove, the handling of the car simply amazing and I could tail him pretty effortlessly.

we were averaging at 130 KMH and peaked at 160 for a short while. Then I decided to overtake him and held on for about 30 KMS. To get the fun factor I let him go and then did it again for 3 times and then parted ways once we reached Porur bye pass at around 8.00 PM. Thanks to the Camry who the journey a little more exciting
Old 1st July 2007, 15:10   #2
BHPian

Yes, the drive on this part of GQ is lovely.

My only issue was the every growing no of tool booths. I paid 120rs in total if I remember correctly. And at that time a 5th toll booth was about to be opened.
Old 1st July 2007, 15:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

so, highway racing?
i am sure there wont be many takers here to your adventure..including me..
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
we were averaging at 130 KMH and peaked at 160 for a short while. Then I decided to overtake him and held on for about 30 KMS. To get the fun factor I let him go and then did it again for 3 times
I hope it wasn't raining and the road was not wet at all. Else, that could land you in pretty "interesting" situations. Anyway, you are on your own and you know what you are doing.
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:39   #5
BHPian

Really GQ is a great place to drive. Last month I went till Vellore. Only drawback is that there are lot of dividers and you'll find lot of bikers coming wrong side.
Old 21st August 2007, 09:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I hope it wasn't raining and the road was not wet at all. Else, that could land you in pretty "interesting" situations. Anyway, you are on your own and you know what you are doing.
You bet whiteknight! Was driving in that road a month back and it started raining cats and dogs for some 30 minutes while returning and it stopped. The drainage part sucks big time especially in the rightmost lane which supposedly is the highspeed lane. Imagine hitting a puddle( not small, but large one along the divider, 3-4 inches deep water only on the right side wheels ). Scary thought when you are doing 130-140 kmph. I hit a water body like that the water splash rose to a truck height, and I was lucky to be alive, for not hitting the median, because only right wheels lose their traction. Got cautious after that, watching out.

So, on a rainy day, dont stay close to the median. Use the left lane. I liked the NICE road in Bangalore for that matter. The road slopes towards the right where they have storm water drains and I dont anticipate any waterloggine in that road. Bangalore-Chennai road could be trap during rain.

Cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks