Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 23:21   #1
BHPian

Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore

Ever since it was thrown open to the public in 2018, the SoU at Kevadia was one place on my family's travel list. And just 3 days before our actual journey, we were still toying over the idea, largely owing to my concern over leaving my elderly father alone at home in Bangalore just with a caretaker. Finally we firmed up on a one- day quick trip to the SoU on Sun, 16th Oct, and planned to tail off with whatever we could get to see in Vadodara city before our return flight. Only Indigo operates between Bangalore- Vadodara, 1025 - 1235 h, a timing that seem to better sync with mid- day hotel check- in for a leisurely lunch and rest, than with a busy travel schedule. The flight was well in time, though Indigo seems to have become terribly frugal in their meals. Their so- called corporate meal is no more than a cup of noodles and a coffee!!

The previous evening, I'd settled onto a city hotel, Grand Mercure Surya, for the night stay. I booked a Dzire in a local cab service (Dev Travels) who seemed to have good reviews. The SH 63 (Vadodara- Kevadia) road was largely good for an 80- 90 km/h average. The 90 km drive took 2 h though, thanks to so- so roads and traffic through Vadodara city and a fuel break. Free buses regularly shuttle between the SoU and the reception area (~3 km). Some glimpses of the Sardar Sarovar dam and its surroundings here.

Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-7-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-5-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-25-52.jpeg

The express entry tickets (1030/- per head) I’d booked helped beat the queues at places. The SoU is 182 m tall, making it the world’s tallest. I’m just posting a couple of pics of the SoU as the evening sunlight was heading direct into the camera lens.

Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-29-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-10-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-22-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-31-52.jpeg

After sunset, the projection mapping show from 1900 h to 2000 h is something you shouldn’t miss. Being against total darkness, photography is useless except maybe when you’ve low- light enhancing filters for your camera. We took an auto to see Narmada Aarthi at the Shoolpaneshwar temple and got back past SoU for something unique- the Unity Glow Garden. Sorry if these night pics aren't too sharp- I'm a mess with night photography.

Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-narmada.jpg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-33-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-32-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-35-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-36-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-40-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-43-52.jpeg
Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-45-52.jpeg

It was now around 2115 when we were thru with our day at SoU. After a rather stressful return drive thru all that glare of oncoming vehicles, were at the hotel by 2330. With their restaurant closed, had to make do with the leftover rice bath my wife had thoughtfully brought along.

Most tourist places in Gujarat seem closed on Mondays, except a handful of gardens. We checked out by 1100 h and took an auto to Sayaji Baug, a rather large garden that somewhat resembles Cubbon Park in my city. Sayaji Baug houses a zoo and the Baroda Museum and Art Gallery. The museum is a must visit (> 2 h) covering art works from European, Egyptian, Japanese and literally every part of the world. But what frustrated me was the total ban on photography- like in quite a few other places. What’s the thinking behind this ban, I wonder. The zoo seemed to be under some improvements work and most bird galleries were shut. At the hour we were around there, it was siesta all around for the others.

Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore-imports-51-52.jpeg

At 34 deg C around, I was totally drained of energy and perhaps dehydrated as well after the 3 h spent in Sayaji Baug. The lesson is to carry enough water wherever you travel- you hardly know you’re dehydrating. Had some tough time trying to engage an auto to a nearby restaurant for our lunch. No auto driver around could read the Google Map I held before them. Until a local vendor did the interpretation. Post lunch, killed some 2 h at Vadodara airport. We touched Bangalore in pouring rain around 1930 h and remained in the aircraft (with its door open!) for nearly 20 min as the cabin crew advised waiting for the rain to subside. Finally got home in a 50- min drive thru drizzle and Bangalore’s famous traffic.
DrVjy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 11:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Statue of Unity - A quick day trip from Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
But what frustrated me was the total ban on photography- like in quite a few other places. What’s the thinking behind this ban, I wonder.
The museum is really a great place to visit specially with kids. Did you also visit the Baroda palace? Its definitely worth.
The photography ban in temples, museum etc. until some years ago was more prevalent in southern India compared to the north. Recently I too have noticed such bans across north too. This is for the most part because of the Tik Tok, reels, Youtube, influencers and the associated nuisance that comes with it.

On a recent trip to Mahabaleshwar, I was at Krishnabai Temple and it had this photography ban. I was really disappointed since it is located at such a beautiful spot. I was standing there mesmerized with the view when suddenly a lady comes in to the temple verandah stars dancing and making a reel. When the guard told her that photography is not allowed, she started an argument with him. I then realized why most places these days have banned photography.
ishan12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 12:23   #3

We are planning to go to Vadodara and SoU in December. Which site did you book the online tickets from? I see multiple sites and not sure which one is genuine!
Also does the Rs. 1030 includes everything? Is that the best option to choose if we are going with family and kids?

p.s. planning to spend 1 full day at SoU
Rekjavik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 15:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
The museum is really a great place to visit specially with kids. Did you also visit the Baroda palace? Its definitely worth.
The photography ban in temples, museum etc. until some years ago was more prevalent in southern India compared to the north. Recently I too have noticed such bans across north too. This is for the most part because of the Tik Tok, reels, Youtube, influencers and the associated nuisance that comes with it.
Baroda palace was where we thought we were going, but we learnt of it being closed on Mondays only after getting to Vadodara. Would definitely try and make it on another visit. Incidentally the palace's leading road is named after Chamaraja Wodeyar of the Royal lineage of Mysore.

I get your point on the possibilities of Tik tok and such users causing problems. But still, for those who can't make it physically like my elderly father, photography would be of great help.
Old 20th October 2022, 15:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekjavik View Post
We are planning to go to Vadodara and SoU in December. Which site did you book the online tickets from? I see multiple sites and not sure which one is genuine!
Also does the Rs. 1030 includes everything? Is that the best option to choose if we are going with family and kids?

December should be fine I guess, but as always, do freeze your plan only after checking out weather info.

I booked my tickets (@1030/- per head) on the official site of SoU:

https://statueofunity.in/

Better not to book on any other site as you shouldn't have possible suprise with authenticity and such.

The express ticket includes visit to the statue, fast lifts to the viewing gallery (skipping queues) and the projection mapping show, all for a single visit. The ticket does not include the Unity garden(@100/- per head). If you're planning on covering everything around the SoU, including the mini jungle safari and butterfly garden that your kids should love, set aside a full day from 1000 h to 2100 h. There is a good Amul kiosk near the SoU entry gate where you can have sandwiches, lassi and coffee. But for a regular lunch, might have to return to the reception area. Also at the bus station there are lockers to deposit heavy stuff. Hope this info helps for now.
DrVjy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 16:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekjavik View Post

December would be a good time to visit SOU, with the winter setting in helping you to roam around the huge complex. Some places of attractions especially for your kids would be Jungle Safari & Nutrition park. Each of these would need around 2-3 hours of your time.

All attractions are listed on the website https://www.soutickets.in/ and you can book the tickets as per your choice of places to visit. The express tickets are only for the Statue visit (skipping all queues), other attractions are to be booked separately.

I would suggest you finalize your plans and book the tourist attraction tickets well in advance online as there are no offline ticket counters available (to manage excess crowds). SOU complex is completely closed on Mondays
Old 21st October 2022, 11:15   #7
BHPian

Glad you liked your stay in Gujarat.
On your next visit, I will suggest that you travel during monsoon months and keep 2-3 days spare for visiting Pavagadh and nearby areas.

I am based in Vadodara(Baroda). Will be happy to help
vzvish91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandan.10 View Post

I would suggest you finalize your plans and book the tourist attraction tickets well in advance online as there are no offline ticket counters available (to manage excess crowds).
I did find a few offline counters with long queue railings at the reception point. I recommend this as a last option only, if unable to book on the website for whatever reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks