Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 17:09   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster

This video captures the "Feel & Raw Sounds" of driving up the Furka Pass, Switzerland;

The above video starts off with a cinematic build up intro to capture the raw sensations & excitement;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-screenshot-20221120-4.40.37-pm.png

Sport Mode ON;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-screenshot-20221120-4.42.03-pm.png

At one of the hair pin turns;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-screenshot-20221120-4.41.19-pm.png

Red Line Fury & Manual shifting captured;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-screenshot-20221120-4.43.19-pm.png

& some breathtaking visuals;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-screenshot-20221120-4.44.30-pm.png

Some Information about Furka Pass, Switzerland;

- Furka Pass is a legendary high altitude Mountain Road in the Swiss Alps with an elevation of approx. 8000 ft. above sea level.
- This mountain pass consists of steep slopes, switchbacks, sharp blind corners & tight hair pin turns.
- About 3 kms below the ridge of the Pass, you can get a good view of the Rhone glacier.
- The pass is open about 7 months a year usually from May to mid November.
- Was used as a location in the James Bond film, Goldfinger;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-b2vpigmiqae0kbi.jpg

My Driving Experience at the Furka Pass;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-413cdf6c890048f1ba859c5405b49020-2.jpg

This is the first time I drove the Furka Pass, hence there was a great level of Excitement. But once I started my hill climb the Excitement was fueled by Thrill, Danger, Adrenaline & Passion. The Thrill of driving a Mid-Engined RWD Porsche up such a mountain pass was unparalleled. Though exhilarating this pass is also considered one of the most Dangerous in the world as the pass roads are very narrow in certain sections & without any barricades so one mistake will careen you down the mountain without much time to react or correct. However the Excitement, thrill & Danger combined to give me a serious Adrenaline boost as you can see in the video I got to really enjoy the car with enough oversteery action on the turns to keep the traction control light busy in a good way. Finally the Passion took over in exploration of multiple red line shifting & ignored the fact that the car had a lightning fast PDK & paddle shifters as I enjoyed shifting via the gear lever to get some old school feels as I was properly in the moment to enjoy the car, road & scenic landscape.

My Stay;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-img_8156.jpg

I stayed at Andermatt which is a Mountain village in the Canton of Uri. I highly recommend a stay at this location if one is visiting Furka Pass. I drove down from Zurich and stayed at Radisson Blu, Andermatt for the night & the next morning I did my drive of the Furka Pass. The hotel location is ideal to start off the Furka Pass drive from. I timed my stay/visit to get to drive on Monday so I could enjoy the pass to the fullest with least cars/bikes & I was indeed lucky as I got absolutely zero traffic on the pass which you can witness in the video.

My Car;

The car chosen for the Furka Pass drive was a Mid-Engine, RWD sportscar. A Porsche. The 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster. With 300 hp & a sub 5 second 0-100 km/h time it was a great car to have to activate the senses throughout the drive. The car was rented officially through Porsche Drive experience from their Zurich dealership;

Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster-be42f2303f154503887757ca3fbb9188.jpg

This car at the unique location of Furka Pass was indeed a celebratory fusion of Nature with Engineering, one more special drive added to the Memories

Last edited by karan561 : 20th November 2022 at 17:20.
karan561 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:14   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster

Beautifully done! This is a long standing dream of mine which I am yet to achieve. Though I would like to do this in a naturally aspirated vintage Alfa Romeo or similar Convertible car.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 17:18   #3
BHPian

re: Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster

Congratulations! What a lovely road. A mid-engine RWD Porsche is one of the best companions you could've possibly had, wow!

I have two years left to go before I can drive, but I'm putting this road on my bucket list already, possibly with manual flat-six Porsche as a companion.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 20th November 2022 at 17:21.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Video: Driving the Furka Pass in a Porsche 718 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Beautifully done!
Thanks Shankar.

Quote:
This is a long standing dream of mine which I am yet to achieve.
Furka pass was on my list too since a few years, glad it materialised

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Congratulations! What a lovely road. A mid-engine RWD Porsche is one of the best companions you could've possibly had, wow!
Thanks

Quote:
I have two years left to go before I can drive, but I'm putting this road on my bucket list already, possibly with manual flat-six Porsche as a companion.
I too wanted a manual Porsche but unfortunately they did not have any in their inventory.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 15:18   #5
BHPian

Your Videos are just amazing Karan! Really enjoyed watching this one, especially in one particular bend where the tail end slides slightly ��. Now I am going to mark this road in my journal so I don't miss it out.
Philomath55 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:59   #6
BHPian

This must have been an exhilarating experience. One wonders whether the count of steering turns above 6 (right or left) is greater or whether the break points were greater. Something you can answer.

My assumption is the count of steering turns above 6 right or left is greater, its based on my assumption that you have been employing throttle modulation consistently thereby saving on break points. But then again, I could be wrong. Its something you can answer.

The video which showcases the beautiful environs, coupled with beautiful roads, those flimsy barricades which later on change into formidable ones, more suited as crash barriers. Driving a Porsche offering on such splendid roads in a beautiful country as 'Switzerland' must be an icing on the cake.
ritedhawan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2022, 15:20   #7
BHPian

What a fascinating video. In all honesty, I have never heard of Furka Pass till I chanced upon this post. Furka pass goes into my bucket list. And what blessed weather, clear skies and the crisp Swiss air. Do keep adding destinations that deserve a mid engined RWD car with an enthusiast at the wheel. Peace

PS : Beautiful GS, is that the spring drive GMT?
Air_Kerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 21:41   #8
BHPian

Reminded me off the 1969 opening credits of the Italian job, Matt Monro singing "on days like these" and the oh so pretty Miura
Cliff9091 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 21:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath55 View Post
Your Videos are just amazing Karan!
Thanks for your appreciation towards my content.
Quote:
Really enjoyed watching this one, especially in one particular bend where the tail end slides slightly ��. Now I am going to mark this road in my journal so I don't miss it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
This must have been an exhilarating experience.
Indeed it was.
Quote:
My assumption is the count of steering turns above 6 right or left is greater, its based on my assumption that you have been employing throttle modulation consistently thereby saving on break points. But then again, I could be wrong. Its something you can answer.
True that.
Quote:
The video which showcases the beautiful environs, coupled with beautiful roads, those flimsy barricades which later on change into formidable ones, more suited as crash barriers. Driving a Porsche offering on such splendid roads in a beautiful country as 'Switzerland' must be an icing on the cake.
Definitely & all this with zero traffic was a dream indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Kerala View Post
What a fascinating video. In all honesty, I have never heard of Furka Pass till I chanced upon this post. Furka pass goes into my bucket list. And what blessed weather, clear skies and the crisp Swiss air. Do keep adding destinations that deserve a mid engined RWD car with an enthusiast at the wheel. Peace
Thanks ! Also, if you enjoyed watching this video then you must watch one of my previous video from another Mountain (Italian) Pass & add this location to your bucket list too;

Quote:
PS : Beautiful GS, is that the spring drive GMT?
Thanks. Yes correct, from the Heritage Collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
Reminded me off the 1969 opening credits of the Italian job, Matt Monro singing "on days like these" and the oh so pretty Miura
Thanks, what a great reference & song, wish could have added that song somewhere in that video.

Last edited by karan561 : 30th November 2022 at 21:32.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 22:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The car was rented officially through Porsche Drive experience
Thanks for the awesome video and pointers karan. Similar to porsche, are their similar drive experience options for other brands(aston, ferrari, lambo etc) in europe?
nxshar2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:48   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxshar2 View Post
Thanks for the awesome video and pointers karan.
Thanks
Quote:
Similar to porsche, are their similar drive experience options for other brands(aston, ferrari, lambo etc) in europe?
Yes;

BMW's can be driven at the Welt & across Germany.
Audi & Mercedes too have driving experience packages.
Ferrari's can be rented at a decent price for short runs around Maranello factory.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 03:04   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff9091 View Post
My favourite too. I play that song a lot of the time when driving. Across the world. What a lovely evocative set of lyrics. Transports one right back to the stylish and classy 1960’s (and imparts a rose tinted hue to whatever one is thinking about too.)
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks