Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2007, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore to Kodagu

Weekend Travelogue:

Bangalore – Srirangapatnam – Hunsur – Periyapatna - Siddapur - Hunsur - Bangalore
Members: Me and family in Swift Diesel

Actually I tried to post a complete travelogue soon after returning from Coorg,
but i didn't get that much time to organize and upload a huge set of snaps , but still wanted to share my sweet experience, so photos will follow soon.

One fine Friday evening, we decided to go visit some place nearby Bangalore. After hours of brain-storming,we decided on Coorg and only after a few phone calls did we realize that its next to impossible to get a hotel booking - thanks to the May 1st long weekend. After hours of googling and lot of phone calls i came across
Home Stay Kodagu - Home Stays

It is a very useful site for people who want to find a home-stay in Kodagu - very different from the normal hotel suites that we would prefer!
We finally chose angels nest as our abode.
As seen in the photos it is situated in the middle of a rich coffee estate. We finalized this place at 10.30PM by which we were completely exhausted.

28th April, 2007: We got up around 6.30 AM,
Had our usual bath and finished breakfast.
Packed all required stuff in our Car and started at 8.30 AM from Bangalore,
Went to nearby ICICI and withdrew some cash and filled fuel from a nearby bunk.

We actually left Bangalore at 9.00 AM to Kodagu,
It was a Saturday morning and with the long weekend setting in, all vehicles were set to hit the Mysore Road - so quite a bit of traffic.

Roads were mostly two lane, so driving was a pleasure.
The weather was little sunny, not any pleasant.

One car caught our attention. A Petrol Swift carrying a little, cute puppy!
In its tail-gate, the pup was looking around the happenings very interestingly, and we were looking at it with the same interest
Then it switched to backseat - quite an entertainment

We took a diversion from Srirangapatna towards Hunsur. We called the home-stay owner from there and he guided us to reach his place. We crossed Periyapatna and then entered a deep forest area with all wild trees. Roads were excellent during most of the travel. We enjoyed all the scenic beauty and even expected to see some wild animals in the forest but in vain. Finally we reached the other end of the forest and crossed a check-post and soon after that, we met Mr.Ganesh, the home-stay owner who took us to the place.

We reached the resort at 2.30 PM. The house was nestled amidst a big coffee estate and we were surrounded just with coffee plants and other big trees like jackfruit, pepper, etc.
Mr.Ganesh's house was around 200mts away from ours. The place was completely alien to things like air pollution and noise pollution. We were able to enjoy the slight sound created by the insects and the breeze. The resort had a couple of dogs to guard us.
Interestingly there weren't any mosquitoes, flies etc etc. What a big relief
Once the surroundings sunk into us, we were served with yummy, traditional Coorg lunch.

We all rested a little and then at 4:00 PM Mr.Ganesh came again to give us directions to a place from where we can see river Cauvery.
We started at around 4:30 PM, marked our home location via our mobile phone equipped with GPSWatch and external bluetooth module and actually traced our route to the spot so that we don't get lost in this huge sprawl of estates - it was coffee, coffee everywhere
The road to the river was not all that great, it was a spot near the Orange County Resorts.
We reached there around 5 PM and enjoyed watching the river for a while and clicked some snaps.

We had noticed a Chamundeeswari temple en route to Cauvery and visited it on our way back at 5.45 PM.
The temple was closed then but was opened at 6 PM and we all prayed well.
Then returned home around 7:00 PM and we noticed that the weather was getting chill.
Electricity was flickering a little - an indication that we can expect a power cut.
So we enquired about it with Mr.Ganesh's wfie - Ms.Kaveri. She gave us a cylinder-light.

As expected, the power went on and off frequently.
So we were idle for sometime. Then things stabilized and we had dinner.

We planned to visit Dubare to see elephants bathing early the next day and wanted to sleep early.
But then we started playing 'Business' game at around 8:00 PM which went on till 11:30 PM!
We all finally hit the bed then and had a blissful sleep owing to the really cool climate!!

29th April, 2007: We woke up at around 6:30 AM and had our usual bath.
Finished breakfast and left around 8:30 AM to visit Dubare Elephant camp.
We had to cross the same road as yesterday when we went to river Cauvery.
But then we had to traverse further around 35 Kms and crossed Siddapur town.
We crossed through the main road of this town and it seemed to have all the required shops and amenities and surprisingly, a lot of auto rickshaws too

We reached Dubare around 9.30AM - it was again river Cauvery and the cars were parked on one bank while we saw a couple of elephants just getting into the river for a bath on the other bank. In due course, few more elephants joined the bath. None of them were wild elephants - all well-bred.
We crossed the river in a motor boat and went near the elephants. Many people were giving a bath to the elephants along with the instructors and we too got excited and touched them - my god, their skin was just like a rubber mat and their hair was like metal wires!!! There was a lot of crowd at this tourist spot! And just 2 boats were transporting people across the banks - basically, the water was not all that deep!!

After some time, we left from there and headed towards the Tibetan Monastery - it was around 12 Kms from Dubare and we crossed Kushalnagara town where we spotted quite a few Tibetans.
We then entered the Tibetan Golden Temple and it was a whole new world inside - It was just soo amazing and had huge sculptures of Buddha and other Gods and the walls were completely covered with paintings. And we could see Tibetan monks everywhere - it was just like as if we were in Tibet. We loved that place and took a lottt of snaps!

Then,we went to the nearby shopping mall and bought some handbags - Tibetan specialty i guess!
One thing was that it was a little hot here.
We finally started back to our resort at 1:30 PM and reached by 2:30 PM. As we neared our place, the climate was getting cooler.
We had a sumptuous lunch.
Then we had a good nap and packed our stuff to leave this wonderful place.

The estate person plucked one biggg jack fruit from the nearby tree and gave it to us - thats our favorite fruit and we somehow tucked all this into our Swift

We left to Bangalore at 4:30 PM. There were a lott of fruit shops on either sides of the road until almost we hit the Mysore-Bangalore highway. that was all soo tempting and we bought a lott of fruits - mangoes, apples, etc.

We reached the highway at around 6 PM.

Then we where accompanied by a Innova and Scorpios,

After knowing the correct route, we where to cross a bi-pass road,
It was little bad, still we where able to log around 50=60 kmph,
After catching our correct track, we again came across two scorpios,
After some racing, we stopped at roadside Mango seller.
We purchased Red Mango,

Then started again.

Finally we reached Bangalore at 8:00 PM,
After crossing some much of signals, we landed in our home at around 9 PM.

Thats it for now, see you all in the next ride,

Last edited by vishnugs : 5th July 2007 at 15:51.
Old 5th July 2007, 15:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice trip. Post the pics soon. How much did you pay for accomodation & food ?
Old 5th July 2007, 16:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Nice trip. Post the pics soon. How much did you pay for accomodation & food ?
Hi esteem_lower.

Thanks for your comment,
it is 750 per couple.
but i actually don't remember very well,
Old 5th July 2007, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice report !! Post the pics soon, it is already too late...

And yes, the road side stalls selling mangoes immediately after crossing Mysore towards Hunsur is simply awesome...I had one of sweetest mangoes there during my coorg trip last year...

How are the roads? last year I saw lots of condtruction activities till Piriyapatna? Are the roads completed?
Abhi
Old 6th July 2007, 14:41   #5
BHPian

The roads are almost done from Mysore all the way to Bylakuppe. Some patches (< 10km) remain though. Since they are not marked with lanes or center dividers driving is crazy not that it is ok without them.

BTW, pepper is not a tree!
Old 6th July 2007, 15:21   #6
BWN
BHPian

@ Vishnugs - Whats "mobile phone equipped with GPSWatch and external bluetooth module".Can you thorw some light on it.Seems to be a interesting and usefull feature.

Write up is gr8 buddy.
Old 6th July 2007, 19:26   #7
BHPian

Finally managed to upload the photos !!!!

Hello Everybody

Finally managed to organize and upload the photos with descriptions.

Check it out in this links

coorg - a photoset on Flickr
Old 6th July 2007, 19:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
@ Vishnugs - Whats "mobile phone equipped with GPSWatch and external bluetooth module".Can you thorw some light on it.Seems to be a interesting and usefull feature.

Write up is gr8 buddy.
I am using GPSWatch a j2me application along with a bluetooth GPS receiver as my travel companion.

You can get more information about GPSWatch from
GPSWatch Plus 3.0 | GPSWatch

and about the Holux GPS receiver from HOLUX Product
Old 7th July 2007, 16:43   #9
BWN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnugs View Post
I am using GPSWatch a j2me application along with a bluetooth GPS receiver as my travel companion.

You can get more information about GPSWatch from
GPSWatch Plus 3.0 | GPSWatch

and about the Holux GPS receiver from HOLUX Product

I got it mate......... and I am planning to installa PRO or Platinum version on my V3i. Looking out for the Holux 236.Where did u manage to get in bangalore ? Can u pm me the details.

Wanted to PM you reg this but its notworking.
Old 7th July 2007, 19:02   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics and nice write-up. Which camera did you use? Not many snaps of your car too
Old 9th July 2007, 19:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWN View Post
I got it mate......... and I am planning to installa PRO or Platinum version on my V3i. Looking out for the Holux 236.Where did u manage to get in bangalore ? Can u pm me the details.

Wanted to PM you reg this but its notworking.
Thats great, !

One of my friend bought that GPS Receiver from USA,
I dunno where it is available here.
Old 9th July 2007, 19:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Great pics and nice write-up. Which camera did you use? Not many snaps of your car too
Hi

I used Panasonic DMC-FZ7 camera,
I took lot of my car photos too,
Shall i upload them?
Old 10th July 2007, 17:11   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hi

I have uploaded some of my Swift Diesel photos for your viewing pleasure.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:20   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have uploaded some of my Swift Diesel photos for your viewing pleasure.
Where did you upload them? I dont see any link?
Old 20th October 2007, 23:23   #15

Holux GPS receiver

Quote:
Thats great, !

One of my friend bought that GPS Receiver from USA,
I dunno where it is available here.
I am also using the same receiver which i bought from Itemsofdesire.com a while ago. i was checking out the site again today and its still available though at an even lower price now!

Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth/USB GPS Receiver*::*GPS Receivers*::*ItemsOfDesire.com

I find them bundling a combo with gpswatch as well - seems pretty cheap as well

GPS Navigation cum Tracking Combo for Mobile Phones*::*GPS Combo Saver Deals!*::*ItemsOfDesire.com

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks