Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2023, 16:43   #16

Re: The abandoned mining town of Kudremukha (Karnataka)

Kudremukh-Kalasa-Hornadu stretch is a magical place. It was the first proper motorcycle ride I did in my college and will always remember the amazing mountains and the viscous serenity that simply surrounds you once inside the national park. I've done this journey multiple times and it never gets old.

Once we were riding from Kalasa to Karkala and experienced heavy rains, we somehow managed to ride through and at the end of the descent the area near the checkpost was dry as summer! That was a demonstration of the mysterious ways mountain weather works. The people are hardy and the homestays are warm places where one will sleep with burbling sounds of a creek for company.
Dosanova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 18:47   #17
BHPian

I’ve spotted many species of deer roaming around the abandoned township. It reminded of Chernobyl for some reason.

Also, there is a JLR camp within the national park, which I think is one of the most isolated and pristine places to stay. There is even a stream within the camp which is untouched by human from its source.
ellip5i5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 22:08   #18
BHPian

Kudremukh was stopped on a Supreme Court order in 2009-10 I think. One of those big ones where politicians refused to listen to people. Though politicians rarely step in, last one was Mrs Gandhi stopping silent valley project in the late 70s.
neerajku is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 22:46   #19
BHPian

Here is a fairly long video a relative of mine shot during monsoon.
A drive through the entire kudremukh town.
avanishphatak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Here is a fairly long video a relative of mine shot during monsoon.
A drive through the entire kudremukh town.
https://Youtu.be/L1eXWVlT7RI
Looks good to ride on a bike. Monsoons have their own charm in this area. On youtube it shows another video on the tragedy of mining.

Always thought it was only the Bhadravati paper/steel plants that polluted Bhadra river. It happened upstream due to mining.
Old 16th February 2023, 14:24   #21
BHPian

I am from Karkala. We had a Maruti 800 during my college days which was fitted with LPG. During holidays, me and my friends used to somehow arrange one cylinder from one of our homes & drive to Kudremukh

Once you enter the check-post after Bajagoli, you will be given a slip by forest officials which you are supposed to show in the check-post in Kudremukha town or you can go back with a ticket of falls entry. They used to warn people that they will come looking for them, if they don't reach the other end in a stipulated amount of time. No one is supposed to the stop the vehicle in between as it is a restricted forest area.

There is a beautiful waterfalls called Hanuman Gundi which was our favourite. There is also a place called Ganga Moola which no one used to visit even back then. Out of curiosity, we once stopped our car on the road side and started walking towards Ganga Moola. Before we could lose sight of the road, the forest officials came and threatened to seize our car for stopping in the restricted forest area. Since we were locals we requested & escaped from there

I have driven through this route a few times in the recent past & the greenery is just so beautiful during the monsoons even now. It feels bad to see the town in it's current condition having witnessed it in the past in its full glory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks