Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2023, 11:20   #1
BHPian

Small things, but big on happiness during travel

During our travel or vacation, we rightly focus on the big attractions and feel good about them. Along with these there may be other unique or less known things that we can do that are equally good or better. I am listing one here and I hope BHP family can add to this.

We travelled to Bhutan recently and as everyone does, we covered all major attractions in Paro, Thimphu, and Punakha. Along with these, in Thimphu we spent an extra hour and Rs 800 more for stamps and cards that my children and their friends are still talking about. It is about getting YOUR photograph printed as valid postal stamp. Here is what you can do while in Thimphu.

1. Go to Central Post Office. There is a Postal Museum attached to it.
2. Here give (e-mail) any photo that you have in your mobile phone to them and they will print one sheet of postal stamps for Rs 500 (4 stamps of Rs 30, 4 stamps of Rs 45 and 4 more of Rs 50). Rs 30 stamp is enough for international mailing. Note: Local currency is Ngultrum. One Ngultrum equals one rupee and rupee is accepted everywhere.
3. Buy colourful Postal cards there itself. Each card costs 25 rupees.
4. Mail them there itself to your friends and family.
Note: For step 2 above, ensure that you have local SIM card (Tashi SIMs are good). You need to use internet connection to mail them the photo. One person who had come when we were there was trying Bluetooth transfer but it was not working. We could not help him either as his family was not present there to get a fresh photo.

Cards usually reach the address in 10 days. We mailed to 12 addresses in India (including one for ourselves) and all got delivered. All these people who got the cards with our photo as stamps have called and checked to see how we did it. Needless to say, my wife has got some bragging rights in her ladies meetings
NagaBond is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 25th May 2023, 21:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Small things, but big on happiness during travel

Good one.

Regarding printing of personalized stamps, India Post too provides a similar facility. Each sheet of stamps costs just ₹300/-.

I have seen an acquaintance avail this facility on the occasion of a family member's birthday.
dailydriver is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 23:45   #3
BHPian

Re: Small things, but big on happiness during travel

There's a post office near Churchgate Mumbai, which provides you with the similar facility of getting your photo printed on postal stamp and is a legal stamp that can be used as post as well,

OT- I am happy to know your family created a wonderful memory together.

Cheers
udzgodfather is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed